CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Warning?

Posted: 1st September 2003 22:52

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I've got a warning meter below me, when no one else does. Why is that? Have I been warned for something?

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #17040
Posted: 1st September 2003 22:59

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
A couple of people asked this in chat, too, so I should probably clarify it.

Except for the staff, everyone has a warning meter, but the catch is, you can only see your own.

We thought this was better than hanging a big WARNED tag and custom title around your neck and shaming you all over the place, particularly if you only did something minor. Plus, it allows us a much greater level of control over how much you're warned, rather than just on or off.

So from now on, we might warn you for more minor offences than before, but don't worry, little guys: only you and the evil staff of doom can see.

People who were in the WARNED group on the old forum have now lost the tag, and gained 60% in new warnings, regardless of the severity of what they were warned for. I was simply too lazy to calculate warn labels for specific people. thumbup.gif

If your warning meter sits on zero, you're doing well. happy.gif

Pinning this for reference. If you have any further warn-related questions (other than about your own warning level), do feel free to add them here.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 1st September 2003 23:02
Post #17042
Posted: 2nd September 2003 20:34

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Wonderful, Tiddles (And the other staff crew too) thumbup.gif ! I always thought it was bad when I saw a big fat "WARNED" sign on a certain member. That system was really unfair and must have ashamed the people who got a warning. I'm glad to see you've fixed this now. happy.gif

--------------------
People say I'm a slow learner, but I type fast!
Post #17106
Posted: 5th September 2003 20:32

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
So does the warning level go back down over a period of time?

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #17310
Posted: 5th September 2003 20:59

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
As far as I know, the warning level will only decrease if someone with authority lowers it. I don't know what exactly you see, but on my screen I see a + and a - button next to the warning meter, and clicking either one will take me to a screen where I raise/lower a member's warning level and give a reason for it. You can see the reason for a warning by clicking on your warning level.

Also,
Wonderful, Tiddles (And the other staff crew too) ! I always thought it was bad when I saw a big fat "WARNED" sign on a certain member. That system was really unfair and must have ashamed the people who got a warning.

Tiddles spearheaded this, and for the exact reasons you just mentioned. The big WARNED tag looked so much like BANNED that it came off as much more severe than we wanted it to be. It's meant to be a warning, and it's not supposed to be a rude threat -- it's really just letting you know that you made an error, describing that error, and asking you not to do it again.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #17319
Posted: 6th September 2003 11:02

Cactuar

Awards:
If the warning goes up to 100%, do you get banned directly or is it when it goes one step higher than 100% (Meaning that 100% is the very final step before getting banned)?

--------------------
People say I'm a slow learner, but I type fast!
Post #17341
Posted: 6th September 2003 13:22

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
I guess we'll decide that if anyone gets there, eh? Don't worry too much about it. If someone's been warned either five or six times without any reduction between, it must be pretty bad either way.
Post #17347
Posted: 8th November 2003 23:21

Lunarian

Awards:
I think we should be able to see other's warning signs. That way it can stir up some conversation.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #20519
Posted: 8th November 2003 23:23

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
Please read the rest of the topic. This system deliberately does not allow that, for good reasons. It's not going to change.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 8th November 2003 23:24
Post #20520
Posted: 9th November 2003 00:30

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I thought the warning was for new guys that had only been here for a short while.
Also does your warning meter go up if you post off topic?

--------------------
Hiding only delays the inevitable.
Post #20527
Posted: 9th November 2003 01:15

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
It really depends on how far off topic you go. We decide on our own (usually nabbing one or two admins and asking their opinion first, but not always) whether or not the offence deserves it. Usually, though, if you just went offtopic once, you're not going to be warned. There's a good chance you'll get a PM about it, though.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #20529
Posted: 5th February 2004 21:14

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
::huff:: ::puff:: Jevus thank god you guys cleared that for me, I thought I was doomed! DOOMED!! but uh, how do we get it down?

--------------------
"If Satan is the prince of darkness, then that would make me the KING!"
Post #28310
Posted: 5th February 2004 21:55

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Kuja @ 5th February 2004 15:14)
::huff:: ::puff:: Jevus thank god you guys cleared that for me, I thought I was doomed! DOOMED!! but uh, how do we get it down?

A staffer lowers it for you. If you have one for a long time, and you don't feel you deserve it anymore, you can feel free to PM one of us and ask us if it should be removed. But ask, don't tell. You don't want us to remember being annoyed at you when we go to edit your warning. smile.gif

Kuja, I've lowered yours, I think you've had it long enough.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #28320
Posted: 19th March 2004 03:57

Cactuar

Awards:
i have been warned for over 3 months now how come its not going away? i thought if i was good it would go away...

--------------------
"Isn't ramza a girls name?" -me

i havent changed my avatar or anything in a long time! time for a change yall!
Post #33159
Posted: 19th March 2004 04:05

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (RacistAgainstChocobos @ 18th March 2004 21:57)
i have been warned for over 3 months now how come its not going away? i thought if i was good it would go away...

Note how I said to PM one of us, not post in here.

And it's only been a month and a half for you.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #33161
Posted: 11th November 2004 20:31

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Neal @ 5th September 2003 14:59)
As far as I know, the warning level will only decrease if someone with authority lowers it.  I don't know what exactly you see, but on my screen I see a + and a - button next to the warning meter, and clicking either one will take me to a screen where I raise/lower a member's warning level and give a reason for it.  You can see the reason for a warning by clicking on your warning level.

Also,
Wonderful, Tiddles (And the other staff crew too) ! I always thought it was bad when I saw a big fat "WARNED" sign on a certain member. That system was really unfair and must have ashamed the people who got a warning.

Tiddles spearheaded this, and for the exact reasons you just mentioned. The big WARNED tag looked so much like BANNED that it came off as much more severe than we wanted it to be. It's meant to be a warning, and it's not supposed to be a rude threat -- it's really just letting you know that you made an error, describing that error, and asking you not to do it again.

You guys are so funny. I think it's rather obvious why regular members can't see other members' warning levels. That stuff is private and should only be seen by staff members. thumbup.gif

Moderator Edit
Um... okay? -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 11th November 2004 21:48
Post #65340
Posted: 3rd October 2005 15:52
Returner

ah! wonderful this is! but, uhm, i'd like something be to clarified just a tad more. when you meter reaches 100% (assuming it does), does anything happen? (i don't mean like a mod banning you or whatever) do we still we have the power to post and all that? (including our number posts going up)

Mades
Post #98174
Posted: 3rd October 2005 16:48

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (mades @ 3rd October 2005 11:52)
ah! wonderful this is! but, uhm, i'd like something be to clarified just a tad more. when you meter reaches 100% (assuming it does), does anything happen? (i don't mean like a mod banning you or whatever) do we still we have the power to post and all that? (including our number posts going up)

Mades

When your meter reaches 100%, the staff decides on a case-by-case basis what happens to you. It could be moderated posts, it could be a banning. Really, if you bother us that much we might just torture you a bit.

--------------------

Post #98185
Posted: 3rd October 2005 21:45

Cactuar

Awards:
Maybe I come from a generation that’s been around for a while, I ran a couple sites and over the years I learned people don’t care. They will keep on posting and hang around to frustrate, even you. wink.gif You can ban them, but hell they could always mask there IP and create accounts non stop but way to do it is just make them miserable.

Or better yet, I have a forum secret that would make the worst forum Nemesis pretty much go away. Have all users ignore the person completely. They don’t get attention or piss no one off, thus they pretty much don’t have a reason to waist there energy posting if no one is wasting energy responding to them.

Of course, forum leaders rarely figure that out till they pretty much go insane. Someone keeps posting racist remarks, so what do you do? Complain how better you are with angst filled posts and that you own the site and blah blah and get yourself up set and then ban the person, then he keeps coming back with a different IP.

One guy Mitch used to love to do this to sites full of angst filled 15 year olds and he would cause uproars all over the place. When Betaff was popular and still around and doing articles on all the major FF web sites (Caves of Narshe never made it on the list I am afraid.) not only did they do articles after articles about this guy but eventually the hired him to do articles on various Final Fantasy sites.

It was popular all over the internet and got a rowdy response from webmaster DH who they occasionally poked fun at and eventually Dh tried to make his own site criticizing all other web sites but his own but it failed, miserably.

I am proud to say they written two articles one all about myself when I was younger and another fully dedicated article about myself.

God, that old age is really kicking in, going on a rant about one thing and then going….ah never mind.

Anyways, no need to waist your time with certain hacks, just direct people to ignore a person who keeps on annoying everyone. That usually makes us go away pretty quickly. wink.gif

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #98246
Posted: 3rd October 2005 21:52

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Wow, great tips.

--------------------

Post #98252
Posted: 3rd October 2005 22:13

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 3rd October 2005 16:52)
Wow, great tips.

I know, I am so great thumbup.gif

I demand satisfaction!

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #98258
Posted: 3rd October 2005 22:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
OK.

No, seriously, I realize you're ostensibly trying to give us some help on how to handle people - while at the same time putting forth a nice little subtle "you're not as good as these other sites" - but do you really think it's warranted to try to move the topic to that matter? We don't use hacks; the forums in terms of the warning and ban system are completely out of the box. And if someone thinks it's so important to be here and be annoying that they'd work around an IP mask and everything, more power to them.

We're not soliciting ideas on how to run the site. I don't think you noticed it, but we've been doing this quite a while - and you specifically asked me to get your login information to you last week so that you could be a member here again. While we may not be nearly as special as you or the sites we run, I think we mostly do okay (and there are some people who would be happy to join up with you if you think that's not the case).

--------------------

Post #98260
Posted: 3rd October 2005 22:36

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 3rd October 2005 17:23)
OK.

No, seriously, I realize you're ostensibly trying to give us some help on how to handle people - while at the same time putting forth a nice little subtle "you're not as good as these other sites" - but do you really think it's warranted to try to move the topic to that matter? We don't use hacks; the forums in terms of the warning and ban system are completely out of the box. And if someone thinks it's so important to be here and be annoying that they'd work around an IP mask and everything, more power to them.

We're not soliciting ideas on how to run the site. I don't think you noticed it, but we've been doing this quite a while - and you specifically asked me to get your login information to you last week so that you could be a member here again. While we may not be nearly as special as you or the sites we run, I think we mostly do okay (and there are some people who would be happy to join up with you if you think that's not the case).

I never stated you yourself used certain hacks (or need to) to try and improve the site. I am only speaking on what other people I have known have used in the past (and failed). Like such a hack to literally make a person miserable. What it does is basically make a person who is viewing your site, making it impossibly slow for them to move on to the next page and other areas of the site. This hack was thought to be useful. Web masters who used this code ultimately wasted there time because users found other ways around the system which made it pointless.

I don’t know what hacks you used as forum ad ons but I recommend you read my posts more carefully and don’t feel so insecure. I am not claiming your site is not as good as others.

We're not soliciting ideas on how to run the site.

Hmm, I was only poking fun at what other people did in the past but since you brought it up, then if you don’t need people to give suggestions, why have a comments and suggestion forum? You opened the door on that one, sorry.

I don't think you noticed it, but we've been doing this quite a while - and you specifically asked me to get your login information to you last week so that you could be a member here again. While we may not be nearly as special as you or the sites we run, I think we mostly do okay (and there are some people who would be happy to join up with you if you think that's not the case).

Of course, you been up since I was in grammar school and I have a child and been through the Marine Corps and few other ventures in my lifetime. You shouldn’t be so serious about things, learn how to relate to jokes and criticism better and I wasn’t even criticizing this site in my previous post, I was more talking about other sites and myself.

LOL dude, I am not asking anyone to join to me and run with anything, I think you need a chill pill buddy lol calm down

This post has been edited by His Shadow on 3rd October 2005 22:38

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #98264
Posted: 4th October 2005 01:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Not to be off-topic or anything, but isn't this topic a little old? But yeah, the new system is much better then a huge WARN next to their name. (Even though I joined after that was solved... smile.gif )

--------------------
eh?
Post #98285
Posted: 5th October 2005 00:43

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
I kindof got used to my warning, when I had it. I had actually grown quite fond of it when Josh decided to wipe my slate clean.

The warning system here at CoN is fine, plain and simple. The Mods are like frigging hawks when it comes to divebombing tasteless or stupid posts within minutes of them going up..... and once found, they seem to (for the most part) do a decent job of dealing with the incident. Do I agree with them all the time? Of course not. Do I think they do their job well, though? Meh.... No, just kidding. Yes, they do their job well. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #98418
Posted: 27th October 2005 02:44

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Question for anyone mainlyTiddles. I was wandering if the staff can see our warnmometer thingimobob. And what the highest it goes..... eh.gif .... if you dont mind me asking
Post #101011
Posted: 27th October 2005 03:08

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
The staff can see it, since it's there for the staff to see. If it goes to 100%, I believe you're banned.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #101012
Posted: 27th October 2005 14:40

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Banned!ouch! Its a pretty neat system you got going here,it goes along with the privacy rule pretty well. But I Have a question that should be clarified( 2 if ya see it that way) Idont know if this has already answered but here goes. What are you banned from ,and how long?
Post #101040
Posted: 27th October 2005 16:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Posting on the forums or using most other features of the forums, and permanently. If you really do something horrid, you might be shut off from using the site at all. But I don't think I've done that for a couple years.

--------------------

Post #101054
Posted: 27th October 2005 17:46

Black Waltz

Awards:
Yeah, I wondered about that thing, sweet idea R51. In other forums, other's can see your warning level, so embarresment has been known to ensue. blush.gif

--------------------
Post #101061
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: