CoN 20th Anniversary: 1997-2017
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 9th September 2020 02:54

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I'm in the beginning of chapter 4 of Final Fantasy VII Remake, which I borrowed from the library as I didn't want to spend my precious money on a remake of a game I didn't particularly care for, but was still curious to see if the remake would win me over.

First, I've got to say that I don't hate the original Final Fantasy VII, but I found the story very confusing and didn't understand what all the hype was about. So I hoped the remake would be better, given that they have more room to flesh out the story.

So far, I think the remake is living up to that potential. I haven't been confused by anything (yet), and greatly appreciated the bonus backstory for Jessie, who I have become quite smitten with.

I did have an issue with the difficulty of the "normal" battle system. I strongly feel that first bosses should not be insanely hard. Well, I ran out of healing items before I even got the boss halfway. I'm sure plenty of folks enjoyed the challenge and there's probably some reading this saying "git gud" but since I play RPGs for the story, I started over the next day on Classic, and don't regret it (though it's almost *too* easy).

I tried playing the original when Remake came out, but bounced off it when I hit Wall Market. We'll see if I stick with the remake but so far I don't see why I wouldn't.
Post #216279
Posted: 29th September 2020 04:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Well, I returned FFVIIR to the library with the rest of the game unplayed.

I had some interesting conversations with my therapist and a dear friend about my gaming choices. I felt some guilt at not playing FFVIIR (I was raised Catholic, we excel at guilt) because I kept choosing instead to play my open-ended games: Final Fantasy XIV, Brave Exvius, and War of the Visions:FFBE.

I thought it was FOMO that was causing me to play those games, because there's always new short-term events happening in them. War of the Visions was doing a FFT event; I have still to play Tactics but I'm familiar with the characters so was hyped for that event and spent a lot of time grinding it. FFXIV had another phase of the Ishgard Restoration going on; it's an excellent way to level crafters plus all my friends were participating so I wanted in, as well.

But my therapist asked if it was really FOMO and not the fact that I really love those kinds of games, and she's right. I do. I actually love to grind! I have a safe file in FFV where I leveled ALL THE JOBS and I had a blast doing it.

And my dear friend pointed out that new things are hard and scary, and this can be true of even video games. Now, I have played the original FFVII so am familiar with it:a story, but that was over TEN years ago so I've forgotten a lot, plus the remake is a new experience with added story to it, so... Yeah. And my therapist also asked if maybe a hadn't wanted to play the Remake because I felt I had to due to the library due date, and there was definitely a lot of that happening too.

I'm under some considerable stress right now, so it's no surprise I'm turning to the comfortable and familiar. I won't even do new MSQ or roulettes in XIV; instead I am leveling jobs on my catboy by doing FATEs.

Finally, I just bought a Switch! I am happily playing Picross on it, as that is relaxing for me and familiar. I also picked up BOTW, FF X/X-2, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. After Picross I might play FfCC; it's a new game for me but I think it won't be too stressful, plus it would be fun to do dungeons with my friends.

I do intend to borrow FFVIIR again, but it will likely be some time before I do, since I have the Switch to play with now.
Post #216303
Posted: 29th September 2020 06:29

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I think to some extent the idea of picking up a game that you know is gonna be a huge thing just registers differently from picking up a game whose length you don't know at all.

There's just something in the mind that goes through the thought of "what else could I be doing with this time?" or "what other little things should I get done before I can finally sit down to enjoy this?".

Grinding a game requires less mental activity/commitment than starting a whole new story that we want to be invested in.

It was easier when we were younger because we didn't actually know what we were getting into.

--------------------
It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.

my Backloggery
Post #216305
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: