CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 26th June 2021 10:35
Group Icon
Returner

I play a resident evil village, very good game. It tries to please all the different type of fans of the series even if it is more or less successful at times. I'm still not a big fan of the gameplay, but there is an improvement over the 7

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 1st November 2021 17:18
Post #216583
Posted: 30th June 2021 07:58

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Got all the Celestial weapons in FFX. And since I'm feeling cheeky, I'm giving them ratings on how annoying they were to fully upgrade. Ratings are purely subjective.

I had a longer version typed out but the session timed out before I was able to post. Of all the times to fail to back up what I typed, sigh. So this is the abbreviated version. May add in the longer thoughts at a later date.

Tidus: 9/10: That chocobo race felt barely doable. The spawn times of the Ninja Gaiden birds become learnable after repeated attempts. Eventually got that lucky run with lots of balloons and only getting smacked by birds once.

Yuna: 5/10 Some optional Aeons are really well hidden. The Aeon duels do add up time-wise but if obtaining them all anyways, Anima or Magus Sisters can steamroll all but the last.

Wakka: 9/10 Took so damned long to grind through all that Blitzball. Not a perfect 10 on the Annoy-o-meter because winning is easy with a strong team.

Lulu: 6/10 Felt like lightning dodging took too damned long but it was consistent once I found a good spot. After some practice, got 200 the first time I went for it. Added a point to the annoyance rating because of the Onion Knight itself.

Kimahri: 9/10 That butterfly minigame, ugh. Succeeding seemed to entail rote memorization which gave me uncomfortable Battletoads vibes. At least the courses are short. Once I had done it, didn't feel so impossible looking back but was the most daunting at first.

Auron: 3/10 Filling up the blank spaces in the Monster Arena is something I'm inclined to do anyways so it didn't feel like a chore. 10 qualifying creations is a bit more of a hill to climb as there's often that one monster that is stubborn about appearing.

Rikku; 7/10 This was somewhat fun, the first time. Then I remember that it's a long walk back to the stone each time, some of the clues are really vague, and the encounter rate gets on my nerves without a No Encounters equip. At least the Sigil is obtainable even if failing every attempt at the Cactuar guardians.
Post #216589
Posted: 12th July 2021 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Update:

My pokédex completion on Pokémon Perfect Crystal (2020 Update version) is now 104/276.

(the 276 includes all the different forms of Unown)

For those who aren't aware, this is a hack of Pokémon Crystal that stays pretty close to the original but fixes various bugs and also makes it possible to get a full pokédex. (For example, trade evolutions now use stones instead.)

Recently got Surf and Strength. The game has really opened up at this point; I think there are two different sidequests leading to two different gyms (Olivine and Mahogany) as far as what to do for my fifth gym.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #216607
Posted: 22nd August 2021 01:52

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
My FFXIV femroe alt is rapidly approaching the end of Shadowbringers main story. It feels like I've flown through it, but that's because I've been pretty focused on the MSQ. I did take a week to level Red Mage though. I've been doing dungeons with Trusts just so I don't have to wait for queue, but I find a boss in the level 77 dungeon hard to do as a pure DPS job. Technically I have Scholar leveled as I had mained Summoner up to now, but I have no clue what I'm doing on Scholar, really, so Red Mage it was.

My main character has mostly been in relic hell. I've finished three so far: Bard, Red Mage, and Machinist. I'm planning on getting them all, but first I have to finish leveling jobs....

I fell back into FF Brave Exvius this weekend. Oh, I've been playing it for five years now, and haven't really missed a day, but often as of late I'd just log in, collect daily rewards, maybe do a pull or two, and quit. But then a dear friend was all excited over the release of Neo Vision Celes, and damned if that excitement didn't rub off on me. I decided to try pulling for her too, and managed to get her! After leveling/gearing, she's got a whopping 5700+ spirit. Honestly, the numbers in that game are starting to get ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they have to adjust them down.

Finally, I'm attempting to play the DS version of FFIV before XIV:Endwalker drops. It's slow going. I'm only 3.5 hours in, just got Edward in the party, and am already tired of grinding levels so my new party members don't get killed in one hit. Hopefully I can find the oomph to finish the game because I really do what to replay it.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #216633
Posted: 22nd August 2021 12:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (AltheaValara @ 21st August 2021 19:52)
Finally, I'm attempting to play the DS version of FFIV before XIV:Endwalker drops. It's slow going. I'm only 3.5 hours in, just got Edward in the party, and am already tired of grinding levels so my new party members don't get killed in one hit. Hopefully I can find the oomph to finish the game because I really do what to replay it.

This is me! I picked up my playthrough about two months ago that I had left off just before the Dark Elf because I was sick of grinding. Since then I've pushed it on to Babil, but the grinding and encounter rate has left me not picking it up again for several weeks now.

I've been playing through Farcry 5, as well, the first AAA game I'd tried on my new PC that I built earlier this year. The cult storyline behind it really appealed to me, but I didn't realize quite how loose that plot would be as connective tissue around the core sandbox mechanics. On the flipside, though, it's a game where you can in fact command a grizzly bear and mountain lion (named Cheeseburger and Peaches, respectively) as AI companions, so I give it two thumbs up.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 22nd August 2021 12:40

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #216634
Posted: 23rd August 2021 12:17

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I was thinking about the grinding aspect some more. Right now in FFXIV I'm in a very grindy part of the game, but I don't mind it nearly as much as I do in FFIVDS. I think that's because it's an MMO. The presence of other players make things much more dynamic and interesting. Take, for instance, the World of Darkness 24-person alliance raid. I've had smooth runs of it where we beat each boss on first try, but have also had a garbage run that went so bad someone tried a vote to abandon it, twice. The votes failed and we persisted but what should have been a half hour experience went over an hour.

Even something as simple as FATEs in FFXIV (open world battles with an objective) become more dynamic since anyone can join at any time. So even if you're doing the same FATE you've done dozens of times, it has at least a bit of freshness to it.

Compare that to grinding in FFIVDS, where you fight the same enemies over and over by doing the same actions each time. No wonder I get bored. It's an interesting puzzle to me - could there be a way to make single player trash fights more dynamic? Hmm.

Anyway, I'm away from home for a few days so nothing to do but play portable games, which means I finished Fabul and am about to be on a boat. I've also been playing Tetris 99 on the Switch in the evenings and shocked myself by getting a top ten finish once - I was number 6.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216635
Posted: 2nd September 2021 06:29
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Sekiro (again)

My last comments about the game weren't the kindest, but the fact of the matter is, it still wasn't enough for me to put it down. I ended up starting a new run entirely and have made significantly more progress. My basic gripes are still fundamentally the same, though I ended up learning some very important points that somewhat soften those earlier viewpoints.

First off, there's was a noted habit previous soulsborne games had gotten me into that I didn't even realize I'd been doing in this game...or how much of a hindrance it was to the experience. Previous games had bosses you'd get locked into with only the use of semi-rare, limited items to transport you out. This was fine because if ya died and were able to make it back to where you died, you could effectively retrieve everything you lost. Sekiro makes the penalty for death irreversible, but compensates by having a good majority of the bosses you fight be with mini-bosses who are sitting out in the open, meaning you can run away from them if the fight isn't going your way. There's no fog gates, so no teleports or items to use, and no penalty for just turning tail and booking it outta the there, while the inclusion of a resurrection mechanic from your first death gives you a window to assess whether you want push forward with the battle or bounce.

Thing is actual bosses do have fog gates, which means they can't be bamfed out of. Your either going to win, or your going to slowly lose all the exp and gold you built up getting to them as well as increase the game's dragonrot mechanic, which poisons more and more of the NPCs you've interacted with in the game the more times you die, but can be completely reversed with the use of a very limited resource! This leaves you with a sunk cost problem where the more you die to a boss, the less reason you have to do anything else since reversing the effects is so expensive.

It's...a hassle, but it hasn't hindered me from going farther, because the other thing I found out is that...I don't think you can die from fall damage? Or at the very least, they've extended the threshold to ridiculous amounts. This allows for drops from heights that would be unambiguously lethal in any other FromSoft game, but also if your low on health, drops won't kill you, but just take ya down to 1hp. This, along with certain 'bottomless pit' drops that just take health and teleport you ala Legend of Zelda or such, gives much more lee-way to exploration that's lead me to piles of areas I've never seen before. I ended up completely exploring a level I discovered, only to find out it was actually meant to be visited as part of the main quest at a later time and got a special item as a result.

I dunno. I always kinda jived with the Souls games without having to 'get gud' until now. The problems are still present and it makes it by far the least 'fun' of the modern FromSoft oeuvre, but I'm finding my reaction times improving and along with my ability to 'read' the kanji attack and I'm still finding myself utterly enamored with this world itself and a desire to explore it.

Minecraft

I bought Minecraft back when it was still in Alpha. My account is so old, that I actually cannot reactivate it even if I wanted to. I haven't played Minecraft longer than I have...and I played it a lot. I simply didn't have any interest in the game anymore...until I found out the PS4 version was PSVR compatible.

Honestly, the VR doesn't make as much a difference as I'd have assumed, and I can't tell if that's because I'm so used to the VR experience at this point. Well, except for falls. I was never afraid of heights in the original game, but mountain climbing borders on terrifying...as does mining, which I haven't actually started doing yet. The OG game could make that experience very anxiety inducing, so I'm hesitant to go into them dark caverns in a state that might have me throwing the headset across the room as I scream in absolute terror. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

--------------------
Post #216640
Posted: 12th September 2021 02:40
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

Blasphemous

Okay, so I've mentioned in prior posts about the Switch becoming my dedicated pixel platforming...uh...platform and mentioned Iconoclasts and Celeste, but I failed to mention this lovely Metroidvania title. I've been playing it longer than both those games at this point, as its the game I play while I wait for my laundry to finish at the local laundromat.

Don't know why I never mentioned it before (or maybe I have) but at this point, I'm in the final stretches of the game where I can pretty much take on the final boss, but am instead running round e'ry which way doing basic clean up of the sidequests and items 'n such.

There's not actually that much to say about it honestly that isn't just monotonous praise. It's a visual wonder, plays incredibly smooth, impeccably designed...nothing but good things to say all around. Worst I can say about it is it's occasionally iffy with it's platforming when it calls for precision. There's certain trail rooms that can definitely try your patience...but it's not like that's not what they're supposed to do anyway.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I've been watching Game Grumps less and less as they're focusing less and less on games I'm interested in watching them play, but then I heard about Dan having a go at this game and I was all:

user posted image

About five episodes in I decided to start on this game m'self and I've already gotten past where they were. For an RPG, it is very brief...but damn is it still a good time! This game has got so much energy in it and it's charming as hell. And my god, I forgot how much sass this game is packing! It is a rare moment in this game where you find a character that aint packing a snappy comeback! I love it!

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 12th September 2021 02:40

--------------------
Post #216647
Posted: 13th September 2021 17:02
Returner

Hello now I play the game Biomutant, I like it, those who have not played advise)

This post has been edited by AnnaGray on 13th September 2021 17:03
Post #216648
Posted: 19th September 2021 04:17

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
It's still the 18th here, which means it's my FFXIV anniversary! As I posted on Twitter:

On this date two years ago, I stepped into Eorzea for the first time. It's been an amazing journey. Thanks @FF_XIV_EN for all the fun, and I look forward to making many more memories in #FFXIV

I have really blossomed while playing #FFXIV especially this past year. It's helped me get over much of my anxiety. I'm a much calmer and happier person now as a result. I am truly grateful for the experiences I've had playing this game.

I used to be so anxious I had to have a friend carry me through new dungeons. I refused to do roulettes for fear of getting a duty I wasn't familiar with. That has changed now and I'm much braver. #FFXIV gave me a safe place to practice facing my fears.

It might sound weird to think of a video game as being a place where you can grow, but it's most definitely true in my case!

My femroe alt has finished Shadowbringers and is now working through its post-story. I also did the Return to Ivalice raid series as its required for the Shadowbringers relic process, which I'm also working on now. I played Summoner for most of the story on that alt, but recently switched to Red Mage. I *like* Red Mage. It's mostly a DPS but allows me to do some reactionary healing/raising as well, which is how I like to heal.

I'm paid up for another six months, and have preordered Endwalker so I'm all set for the future. I look forward to my continuing adventures in Eorzea.

Althea Valara, Couerl server, Crystal data center, Red Mage ilevel 522
Windy Storm, Goblin server, Crystal data center, Red Mage ilevel 510

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216651
Posted: 26th September 2021 14:44

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Still playing Pom! Pom! Party! in Trails of Cold Steel 4 from time to time. For me, it's become the kind of activity, much like Spider Solitaire and Cookie Clicker, that I'll engage in while listening to YT vids. I believe, of my 300 hours total in CS4, about a third of it is Pom! Pom! Party!, haha.

Beyond that, I'm in the middle of a playthrough of Tales of Vesperia. I like the story and characters so far, but, after nearly 50 hours, the battle system remains somewhat awkward to me. Not bad by any means, but it's not exactly making me rush to play another Tales game. I do wanna finish it eventually, but in the meantime...

The 1.3 patch for Cyberpunk 2077 came out recently, so I finally decided to grab that game, and it's what's been occupying most of my gaming time over the past month.

This post has been edited by Galsic on 26th September 2021 23:35

--------------------
Post #216660
Posted: 27th September 2021 18:05

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Galsic @ 26th September 2021 08:44)
Beyond that, I'm in the middle of a playthrough of Tales of Vesperia. I like the story and characters so far, but, after nearly 50 hours, the battle system remains somewhat awkward to me. Not bad by any means, but it's not exactly making me rush to play another Tales game. I do wanna finish it eventually, but in the meantime...

Oh, I'm very interested to hear this! I was recently contemplating the purchase of another Switch game because I had gold coins expiring in the Nintendo shop this month. The two games I was considering were Tales of Vesperia and Ni no Kuni:Wrath of the White Witch, both of which were 75% off. The Tales game came highly recommended by my friends, but I paused before buying it because the battle system sounded like it might not be to my liking.

In the end I opted to get neither, as the money I would have spent on them went to my extra retainers in FFXIV. My library has Tales of Vesperia so I think I may rent it some day to try it out.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216662
Posted: 28th September 2021 01:45

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
@AltheaValara Honestly, most of the praise I've heard for Vesperia has been about the characters and story. Didn't hear a lot about the battle system, really. There are so many things that can be done in battle, such as combos, which require precise timing and specific sequences of techniques to maximize damage and get certain bonuses. It's a lot to take in (for me, at least), and I never fully wrapped my head around it all. What I do understand is still fun, though!

--------------------
Post #216663
Posted: 4th December 2021 00:50

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
ENDWALKER!!!!

If you've been living under a rock, that's the newest expansion of FFXIV. Early access started last night at 3am my time, and I was up for it (indeed, was the first person in my Free Company who made it in.) I had intentions of playing the rest of the night, but I only lasted a little over two hours before I had to give up and go back to bed.

So far, I think Shadowbringers had the stronger start, but I am still very early into Endwalker. Haven't even hit a dungeon yet. we'll see how it holds up in the long run.

I have decided to making Windy Storm, my character on Goblin, my main character. That's because she's in a large active FC full of friendly, helpful folks, though because the FC is so large I don't trust them all to remain spoiler-free, so I moved their conversation to a separate tab. It was a little lonely playing today without seeing their chatter, but I am such a spoiler-phobe I felt this was the best move for me.

I'll be streaming the expansion starting Monday at 7:30p.m. Central, playing on my now secondary character, Althea Valara on Coeurl, if anybody is interested in tuning in.

Otherwise... I did not finish my replay of Final Fantasy IV DS like I planned. Oh well. I'm still playing FFBE daily, and attempting to play War of the Visions but I keep forgetting.

Finally, on the recommendation of a dear friend, I picked up Murder by Numbers on the Switch. This is a murder mystery in which cases are solved via Picross puzzles. I love Picross so this sounds fun! I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I've scheduled myself to play it after I finish Endwalker.

edit: It took me SEVENTY MINUTES to log in this evening. When I first got in the log in queue, there were over 2800 people ahead of me. I've heard it was double that on other servers. Wow. I expect long wait times this weekend. AND THIS IS ONLY EARLY ACCESS! What's it going to be like when the expansion is out for everyone?

This post has been edited by AltheaValara on 4th December 2021 06:44

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216737
Posted: 18th December 2021 06:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I finished Endwalker tonight on my main character. No story spoilers from me but here's my emotional response:

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Wow, what a ride! I spent about three hours this afternoon making my way through the last zone, and I cried steadily for those three hours. I loved Shadowbringers but it failed to really move me; not so with Endwalker, obviously. I feel very satisfied with the overall arc of the story. They really knocked it out of the park and I don't know how they are going to top this.

I'm still streaming it on my second character, and TBH don't know how I'm going to manage to keep my composure towards the end. I have a dedicated viewer who's been tuning in every stream for months, so I owe it to him to play it out, but man is it going to be ROUGH.

I love this game so, so much. I'd tell you all to give it a try but YOU CAN'T RIGHT NOW. They've taken it off the market because the servers are so overloaded; it's impossible to create new characters/play the free trial at the moment. I think that's a testament to how good the game is. It's sure come a long way from its initial flop!

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216752
Posted: 26th December 2021 23:40

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Finally, on the recommendation of a dear friend, I picked up Murder by Numbers on the Switch. This is a murder mystery in which cases are solved via Picross puzzles. I love Picross so this sounds fun! I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I've scheduled myself to play it after I finish Endwalker.

I started this game on Christmas Eve, and just finished the first case. I'm so glad I heard about the game and that I had the funds to buy it, because it's DELIGHTFUL!

The premise: Honor is a 1990s TV actress who plays a detective. In the studio parking lot she meets SCOUT, a flying robot who has lost its memories but retains the ability to scan the surroundings. A murder occurs, and Honor (for personal reasons) tries to solve the case with the help of SCOUT, while also promising SCOUT to get to the bottom of its missing memories.

The characters are all fun, as is the gameplay. Honor can question people, and SCOUT investigates by scanning a location until it finds something of interest. To scan, you use the left analog stick to move crosshairs around until they turn solid red. Upon finding an object of interest, a Picross puzzle starts. Once you've solved the puzzle, you can present the evidence to folks by questioning them and pressing the Y button.

The game has quite a bit of humor, which adds to the fun. My friend, upon finishing the game, said she was hoping for a sequel, and I already am wishing for one as well. As soon as my Switch is charged I'm going to see if I can follow the developer on the Switch so I can be notified if they release more games.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216768
Posted: 28th December 2021 16:47

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
1. Gems of War - PS4 / Switch
2. Suikoden 2 - PS
3 - Legrand Legacy - PS4
4. Crystal Arc - PS4
5- Hyrule Warriors - Switch
Post #216773
Posted: 29th January 2022 20:37

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I finished FFXIV: Endwalker for the second time on Monday, a mere 15 minutes before maintenance started, whew!

I enjoyed streaming it for my viewer(s). But Endwalker is quite A Lot, and playing it twice in a row was Even More. Therefore I'm a bit burned out and haven't been playing FFXIV as much as I normally do. Like, usually I play every day but it's been about every other day the past few weeks, and only for about 1-3 hours at a time.

I have decided to branch out into other games on my stream due to this, so on Monday I start streaming Final Fantasy XV. It'll be a replay for me, but I don't mind because I enjoy the journey. My dedicated viewer has never played the game, and it'll be fun streaming it for him.

The plan is to play FFXV on stream Mondays and Thursdays, then on Saturdays I will stream FFXIV, doing side quests and other shenanigans. I don't want to quit FFXIV entirely because there's still plenty of content in it I haven't done, so this will be a good mix, I think.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216794
Posted: 1st April 2022 04:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Tonight on stream I finished my second play of Final Fantasy XV!

So, my PS4 and original copy of the game were gifts from my elder bro-in-law, and he had bought me the First Day Edition of the game, so that's what I played originally. It was a complete game, but some of the lore was hard to understand.

When it came time to buy the first three DLCs, I ended up buying the Royal Edition because (1) it included the DLCs (2) it was actually cheaper than buying the DLCs separately! (3) I heard it added some lore to improve the game.

I forgot about that last bit when I was playing through this time... until I got to Insomnia. BOY was that different!

Spoilers for differences and end of game:

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
In the First Day Edition, I swear I spent more time prowling Insomnia's streets trying to figure out where to go, and couldn't. I eventually got it (there was a subway entrance I had missed) but yeah, it felt like there was a lot bigger of a map overground in Insomnia in the original edition of the game.

In Royal Edition, I quickly found my way underground, which led to parking lots I was like "...have I been here before? I don't remember it." Eventually you run into Cor, who leads you to a Glaive base and THAT IS DEFINITELY NEW. I picked up the three side quests there, but we didn't do them. Once I spoke to everyone in the base I carried on with the main objectives.

So, you eventually have to fight Cerberus. I was surprised when I got a trophy after beating him. I guess he was either an addition to this version, or optional in the original. Ifrit fight was the same. But then you have to fight the Old Kings, and that had me going blink.gif. I kept saying, "I don't remember this at all!" and sure enough, my viewer looked on the wiki to discover it was added in the Royal Edition.

Just, wow. What a difference! I do think this tied up some parts of the story better, but I still think the game is weak with explaining lore.

On Saturday is my regular FFXIV stream. Monday, we'll do Episode Ignis and Episode Ardyn (the two I skipped; I played Gladio and Prompto at the proper moments in the base game). I *might* mess around with post-game stuff next Thursday, but right now I'm planning to move on to new things.

What that will likely be is a play of the Stranger of Paradise demo. I downloaded it after watching the KupoCon online launch fest for it, and while I'm still not very intrigued by the game, I felt like I owed it to the VAs to give it a try, in a weird sort of way.

I don't know how long it will take to play the demo. But the next game I stream after that, by popular vote on Twitter, will be Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age. It will be fun to play that! I only got halfway through my play of it (I ended up starting FFXIV and oops my backlog went by the wayside).

This post has been edited by AltheaValara on 1st April 2022 04:48

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216850
Posted: 8th April 2022 01:46

Chimera

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Galsic @ 26th September 2021 09:44)
Still playing Pom! Pom! Party! in Trails of Cold Steel 4 from time to time.  For me, it's become the kind of activity, much like Spider Solitaire and Cookie Clicker, that I'll engage in while listening to YT vids.  I believe, of my 300 hours total in CS4, about a third of it is Pom! Pom! Party!, haha.

And now I'm nearing 400 total hours in Trails of Cold Steel 4, all because of Pom! Pom! Party! Again, haha.

Aside from that, since my last update here, I finished my first playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077, and then blasted through Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition. I actually think CP2077 was fine for what it was, but it def failed to meet all the hype. Certainly a disappointment in that regard, but I liked it well enough that I'm willing to give it another go when all the updates are done and when (maybe) there's an expansion or two. DQXI was great fun for a while, but I must've played it for too long, cuz it kinda wore out its welcome toward the end. There were sections that dragged on for too long, especially the Tickington quests, and I was ultimately relieved when I finally finished it.

Now I'm jumping between Nier: Automata and an indy action RPG called Cross Code. The latter immediately grabbed my attention cuz of its sweet 16-bit presentation; I thought it was reminiscent of Secret of Mana in some ways. And so far the narrative and gameplay have been much better than expected; I'm having a blast with it, although some of the puzzles are brutal, for which the game is somewhat infamous. We're talking puzzles for which it's not enough to simply know the solutions; with some puzzles, you have to perform specific sequences of actions with precise timing. One mistake often forces you to start the puzzle all over. In fact, I'm actually rather concerned about what the last dungeons are going to throw at me.

This post has been edited by Galsic on 8th April 2022 02:23

--------------------
Post #216860
Posted: 21st April 2022 16:48
Group Icon
Returner

I'm currently playing zelda awakening
Post #216880
Posted: 26th April 2022 15:07

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I haven't posted in this thread in quite a long time! Since then, I poured a lot of hours into the standard edition of Death Stranding, playing it all the way through until I finally just got tired of running missions in the post-game content and tapered off entirely.

I'm still slowly streaming a playthrough of FF6 PR on PC, though the few people will likely read this post will probably already know that. I'm also now working through the PS4 version of Spider-Man, which is a blast to play, and I just started the Prologue Demo of Triangle Strategy because I'm too cheap to buy it right now but I was feeling serious FOMO from all the folks in CoN Discord who are playing it through.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #216883
Posted: 12th May 2022 01:19

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've been wasting time playing Mega Man Maker lately.

Also as for "games I actually want to play seriously", I accidentally started playing Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I'm on Chapter 2 so far.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216893
Posted: 2nd June 2022 19:21

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I've been playing through Triangle Strategy, and I gotta say that despite the garbage name, and the sometimes painfully forced unethical ethics of certain choices, the rest of the game is at least 10/10.
Post #216899
Posted: 2nd June 2022 20:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Kane @ 2nd June 2022 13:21)
I've been playing through Triangle Strategy, and I gotta say that despite the garbage name, and the sometimes painfully forced unethical ethics of certain choices, the rest of the game is at least 10/10.

Yes. All of this. I'm on my second playthrough having just bought the full game maybe three weeks ago.

--------------------

Post #216900
Posted: 3rd June 2022 03:07

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 2nd June 2022 12:09)

Yes. All of this. I'm on my second playthrough having just bought the full game maybe three weeks ago.

I'm surprised that I didn't see any posts talking about Triangle Strategy. Did I just not go back far enough, or are people sleeping on it?
Post #216904
Posted: 3rd June 2022 13:47

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Kane @ 2nd June 2022 21:07)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 2nd June 2022 12:09)

I'm surprised that I didn't see any posts talking about Triangle Strategy. Did I just not go back far enough, or are people sleeping on it?

It's just the forums being 2022 forumsy these days. It's all the rage in the CoN Discord to the point where some days are 80% spoiler tags. flag-red.gif

--------------------

Post #216906
Posted: 16th November 2022 01:36

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Last night on stream, we finished Final Fantasy VIII Remastered! FFVIII was the second FF game I played way back when (FFX was the first) and for a long time it was my favorite of them. Then I actually played the entire rest of the mainline series, and it dropped down in the list. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed revisiting the game! It's still a very solid game, with an interesting system and fun characters. One of these days when I play it, I will spend more time with the card game - for this playthrough I played exactly one game of cards, lol.

I'm slowly uploading the videos to my YouTube Channel, in case anybody wants to see what they missed! Sadly, I wasn't able to beat Omega Weapon. I tried numerous times using Selphie, but didn't get a favorable slot. But we did get all the GFs, which means we explored the Deep Sea Research Center fully. It was fun!

On Thursday I'm going to start streaming Final Fantasy IX (PS4 version). I've only played the game once before, and loved it but don't remember too much of it. I'll make sure to use CoN's walkthrough should I need it. flag-red.gif

Other games I'm playing:

Final Fantasy XIV - I have three Endwalker relics already! Two for Althea Valara on Coeurl/Crystal, and one for Windy Storm on Goblin/Crystal. I also made an Althea clone on Maduin/Dynamis just because it was new and shiny, and am enjoying the Road to 80 buff (for those who don't know, that's a massive EXP buff for jobs under 80; it also gives you a million gil once you reach level 30 on your first job). Money is getting tight for me, though, and I'm worried I won't be able to afford FFXIV much longer. Which would be a big shame, because I love playing it and love streaming it.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - still poking at this mobile game. What, it's been six years now, I think? Time flies! I still enjoy its story, but am getting tired of some of the grinding, though pulling for units remains fun for me. And no, I haven't spent any money at ALL on this game, so it's entirely possible to play for free.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I started this because my Switch was feeling lonely. I'm intrigued by the gameplay, though am not totally in love with the graphics yet. I haven't played very much, though, because I keep drifting to FFXIV instead. Will make an effort to play more. I really do wish I had a way of streaming from my Switch, as that would keep me dedicated to playing.

Finally: I played the indie game A Short Hike this weekend because a community I'm on elsewhere was having a play-along for it. What a delightful game! It caught my interest immediately and I had a lot of fun with it. I'm glad I played with a controller, though, because I suck at keyboard controls.

Finishing A Short Hike means I have succeeded with my goal of playing four single-player games this year! The other three were Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy VIII Remastered and okay those were all replays for me but dammit, they count. I remain grateful to my stream viewers for tuning in and giving me momentum to keep playing other games besides FFXIV.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #217009
Posted: 24th November 2022 22:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Since the last time I posted here, I've finally beaten La-Mulana, with a little helpe from some buddies via streaming.

Even with some hints, this game is an epic journey. It's a highly complex metroidvania with lots of non-linearity and I have yet to wrap my head around it fully. Not to mention the lore...someone made a 3 hour video speculating about the lore and there's still stuff to be said about it. Not to mention that I'm still trying to reconstruct the way the game is designed as a narrative experience and as for its sequence of items and upgrades.

Meanwhile got to a branching point in Jeanne d'Arc and I don't really like my options and I realized that I'm only about half done with the game. I don't really feel like continuing... Specifically, I feel like the second option is better story-wise but the first option is the way to get the only playable whip-wielder. It's honestly a legit good game but I just feel like there's stuff like this that's sorta annoying. Also, the fact that a lot of menu change seem to take slightly longer than they really ought to.

I also jumped back into Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, messing around with it. It seems very open-ended.

But for now the main thing on my plate is Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I've also made lots of progress with it and I'm in a late-game chapter by this point. I love the story. It only annoys me that I can't get all the friendship episodes in the first playthrough but I plan to get all of them in my second playthrough.

Occasionally thinking of starting another game. Right now it might be Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 24th November 2022 22:33

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #217013
Posted: 22nd February 2023 08:06

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Chess. When it comes to digital games though it will not be long before I or someone else figures it out. Balance is the key to keep people in games. It depends on how far you wish to go.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #217065
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: