CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Lightning and Louis Vuitton

Posted: 29th February 2016 21:45

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I thought we'd mentioned this in passing in a news post at some point, but I can't find it. We did mention it on Facebook, so if you haven't heard about it, go there to see a bit about Lightning modeling Louis Vuitton this season:

https://www.facebook.com/cavesofnarshe/post...153485335366374

I only mention it now because I actually saw a LV store in Morocco when traveling last week, and I saw Lightning in the window. We were on a car tour, so unfortunately I couldn't stop and check closer. Anyone else seen this in real life by chance?

https://www.facebook.com/cavesofnarshe/phot...4576374/?type=3

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210569
Posted: 16th March 2016 13:47

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
This is one of those times where I just throw up my hands. How is this a win for anyone? Louis Vuitton or Square Enix? The mysteries of global capitalism continue to confound...

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #210623
Posted: 16th March 2016 14:48

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I think that it works in Japan. The global reach of it is a little more confusing, but hey, why the heck not?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #210626
Posted: 16th March 2016 18:51

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I really wish Square would stop wasting time and money on frivolous marketing schemes like this and just make better games. They've failed to impress me since about 2000.

That said, FROM 1987-2000 keeps me from turning against them. They just don't seem to be able to top their 90's output.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210630
Posted: 16th March 2016 20:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Spooniest @ 16th March 2016 12:51)
I really wish Square would stop wasting time and money on frivolous marketing schemes like this and just make better games. They've failed to impress me since about 2000.

That said, FROM 1987-2000 keeps me from turning against them. They just don't seem to be able to top their 90's output.

I don't think this cost them much time or money. This is a clothing designer using Square Enix' property, not the other way around.

--------------------

Post #210632
Posted: 18th March 2016 03:29

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I saw this in Las Vegas last month. I thought it was pretty fitting that the fashion industry which is infamous for fantasy-like standards of beauty finally embraced fantasy-based fake models.

It feels kind of nice though, in the sense that my favorite video game series has been pulled out of geekdom all the way to the other end of the spectrum. I feel slightly more cool. tongue.gif

I guess it's another instance of the oft repeated observation that opposite ends of societal or political spectra have a lot in common.
Post #210644
Posted: 18th March 2016 10:00

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
What this tells me is this enix has given up on making games and is more interested in advertisement and money, hence why I can't stand much of them anymore.

Ff7 and cloud strife sephiroth and anything ff7 related is a cash cow.
FFXIII is a new cash cow now selling Luis vitone.Is this really needed? Just make good games.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210646
Posted: 18th March 2016 13:58

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 18th March 2016 04:00)
What this tells me is this enix has given up on making games and is more interested in advertisement and money, hence why I can't stand much of them anymore.

Ff7 and cloud strife sephiroth and anything ff7 related is a cash cow.
FFXIII is a new cash cow now selling Luis vitone.Is this really needed? Just make good games.

Well, let me elaborate on what I've already said, then, because I don't think that this says the same thing to me at all. And, apologies in advance if I am saying things I have not actually said in the forums, because I've talked about this a couple times in chat as well.

For one, I don't think this has anything to do with the games whatsoever. This is a marketing campaign for a clothing company, not one run by Square Enix. It's using a character that was created a decade ago. The games being released by the company now, or even five years ago, would not be impacted by using this character at this time in this manner. Nor would they have created this character ten years ago thinking "hey, I bet by 2015 we can use her in ads for other companies!"

Two, the marketing arm of the company has virtually no connection to the game production arm. I'm sure at the start of the development of a new game, marketing is consulted, sure - they're likely to say very broad things like "we want a strong female heroine" or "we want you to make a game that isn't a turn-based RPG" because they think they can sell the game better. What is more likely to happen, given the game development studios I've been in and around, is that the games production team has a handful of ideas, prototypes, and concept boards that they show to marketing and marketing helps them decide with which ones to proceed. However, that may not even be fully true in Square Enix, because the company makes so much of their money on legacy IPs like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, et. al.

Three, even if the two companies' marketing groups worked together fifty/fifty to make this campaign exist, you can refer back to points one and two. In what manner would you say that this would impact games being made? At most, IMO, you're talking about maybe a week's time for the 3D modeling team to get Vuitton's designs wireframed and texture-mapped to fit on the models of Lightning that have already existed for many years, and then to pose the model as desired and output final images. Maybe make it two or three weeks, even, if you think it likely that there was some back-and-forth in exactly what the poses would be. In fact, it would shock me if Square Enix didn't outsource that work, meaning it would cost them zero manhours against building actual games.

Four, the nature of the industry says that unless you're an indie studio just looking to squeak by and slowly make a name for yourself, it is not about solely "making games." This isn't 1985. Advertisement and money is kind of how actual business works. I'm not gonna have a job if my work doesn't contribute to my company making money, and in fact help make more money over time. That's how it works in the world in which we mostly all live, so more power to Square Enix if they've found a new avenue for revenue. And it's not like this is new - most people consider FF9 to be a pretty good game but that game had a big marketing cobrand push with Coca-Cola in Japan back when it was released (and, if you ask me, I'm guessing production of the video for that ad probably cost a lot more money than this Louis Vuitton campaign).

It's gonna sound silly since I just wrote that big screed explaining why I don't think the "this is why Square Enix sucks" tirade fails, but honestly, I'm fairly indifferent on this actual campaign. My interest meter goes roughly to "well, that's kinda neat" and not much further. It's not going to make me, or probably most people outside of Japan, buy Louis Vuitton (in my case, because I'm cheap, and it's not a brand my wife is really into anyway - she is more of a Longchamp and Coach girl). But in Japan, I believe that pairing Western luxury brands with well-known Japanese properties is a good way to get people into stores, and that was the main thrust of why this happened. The fact that it might confuse your average American or European customer walking by the window a bit - i.e., "what is going on with that computer model in the banner?" - is just a nice fringe benefit for everyone involved.

Finally:
Quote (finalalias)

It feels kind of nice though, in the sense that my favorite video game series has been pulled out of geekdom all the way to the other end of the spectrum. I feel slightly more cool.

I guess it's another instance of the oft repeated observation that opposite ends of societal or political spectra have a lot in common.
I like this way of looking at it. It kinda makes me want to go see if they have the marketing out at the local LV store, but it's in the city and I know I'm far too lazy to go down there and investigate, ha.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 18th March 2016 13:58

--------------------

Post #210648
Posted: 19th March 2016 11:03

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Sure you have to make money to pay for the company and its producers, that is a given but what if your next lp flops because you tried too hard to favor a large audience of all types but didn't really appeal to anyone? Sure there are people who bought FFXIII and probably FFXIII-2 Lightning returns, but even ff favorite series players(FF VII) Really didn't like XIII

I beliieve it's possible to make a good game lost odyssey is a good jrpg without making it a loss of cash, or ff tactics.Tactics has several games spin offs ports and hugely popular.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210658
Posted: 19th March 2016 12:19

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 18th March 2016 08:58)
Four, the nature of the industry says that unless you're an indie studio just looking to squeak by and slowly make a name for yourself, it is not about solely "making games." This isn't 1985.

The general sentiment behind the attitude you are strawmanning here is that there are a lot of us who are wistful and nostalgic about the days when that's EXACTLY what Square was.

There's a certain froo-froo-ness to what they're doing here that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care for high fashion at all, I think of it as a form of ugliness so repugnant that it must be changed every 3 months.

The fact that SE even has a toe in that kind of world turns me off, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not going full on toward "this is the end of Final Fantasy" or any ridiculous nonsense like that, I'm just saying that I find it kind of dumb and irritating that any time was spent on this at all.

I kind of feel the same way about XV's...wow, how do I characterize it? ...cranium-crushingly long development cycle. It's like "You don't care about making this a better or more fun game, it's patently obvious you're attempting to make it look nicer and nicer in order to impress investors." The shift in attitude from "let's make cool, interesting and fun games for people" to "let's impress our investors with shiny 5 milllion pixels per inch graphics and fashion campaigns" disturbs me, and makes me feel like the days of the kind of games I like being made by SE are over.

I can't say that their past output isn't near and dear to my heart, but this all just seems like a bunch of fiddly farting around that has nothing to do with making fun games.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210659
Posted: 19th March 2016 15:10

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 19th March 2016 05:03)
Sure you have to make money to pay for the company and its producers, that is a given but what if your next lp flops because you tried too hard to favor a large audience of all types but didn't really appeal to anyone? Sure there are people who bought FFXIII and probably FFXIII-2 Lightning returns, but even ff favorite series players(FF VII) Really didn't like XIII

I beliieve it's possible to make a good game lost odyssey is a good jrpg without making it a loss of cash, or ff tactics.Tactics has several games spin offs ports and hugely popular.

I think my overall point was that none of that has anything to do with making good games. My point was that I feel this marketing campaign has no causal relationship with the quality of the games being made. I also disagree with some of your points about specific games, but I don't think that's really on-topic and it's nothing I haven't said to you before.

Quote (Spooniest)
The general sentiment behind the attitude you are strawmanning here is that there are a lot of us who are wistful and nostalgic about the days when that's EXACTLY what Square was.
Well, I didn't think I was strawmanning when I wrote it, but fair play if you think so. Can't really argue it. However, I also don't think that Square or Enix ever really fit into the scene I described anyway. When they were small and struggling to get by, pretty much everyone in games dev was. But then, I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that there aren't people who think that Square Enix haven't made good games since they got "big?" I mean, that's how I interpret what Magitek was explicitly saying in this thread and dozens of others, but of course that's not going to apply to everyone who dislikes this marketing.

Quote (Spooniest)
There's a certain froo-froo-ness to what they're doing here that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care for high fashion at all, I think of it as a form of ugliness so repugnant that it must be changed every 3 months.

The fact that SE even has a toe in that kind of world turns me off, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not going full on toward "this is the end of Final Fantasy" or any ridiculous nonsense like that, I'm just saying that I find it kind of dumb and irritating that any time was spent on this at all.
Oscar Wilde thought it had to be changed every six months when he originated that sentiment, but I suppose the pace might have increased in the last hundred-odd years. smile.gif But yeah, I can understand why you might be irritated that it exists. I think that is their real misstep here - if they had limited this to Japan, I don't think we'd be talking about it. And even I, who have taken this role of defending this, think it would have been been something we'd talk about if they'd done just that. I think it is mainly irritating to Westerners, and particularly those who don't like Final Fantasy XIII to begin with. As I've mentioned repeatedly around CoN, I actually very much enjoy the XIII series, so that applies here to diminish any irritation I might personally have.

Quote (Spooniest)
I can't say that their past output isn't near and dear to my heart, but this all just seems like a bunch of fiddly farting around that has nothing to do with making fun games.
Yep, that I agree with. It's just the conclusions we draw from that point are different, maybe. And that might be because I think they're still making fun games.

--------------------

Post #210660
Posted: 21st March 2016 22:40

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I'm just gonna weigh in with a middle-of-the-road answer here, as I think I'm the closest thing to a swing voter in this conversation.

I can't stand the FFXIII series, and that's an opinion I've espoused repeatedly and won't again here. It is, however, beautiful.

I also couldn't care less about high fashion. I like the labels I like, but I can't say I care much when it starts to stagger into the world of supermodels and Louis Vuitton.

So, with that précis of my starting position, my take on the collab is this: it's harmless, novel, bonkers, and largely pointless in the west. I don't see how it has cost or detracted in any way from the game-creating abilities of Squenix. I barely even see how it counts as an indicator of their current priorities. It's a throwaway contribution and foray into a tangential world. Conceptually, it's even interesting - using CGI models to advertise things? If this catches on we could see some very strange things in the fashion world in years to come. But really? It's just a novelty. Chill your beans, guys. The sky isn't falling.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #210664
Posted: 27th March 2016 11:33

Crusader

Awards:
I personally dont care if luis vuiton uses her as long as it doesnt detract from the quality, but that is exactly the problem:

I havent seen a lot of quality lately from squeenix and i have doubts about their abilities.I feel as if they have lost their spark, and the loss of some of their people in there made it worse.

I look at lost odyssey and wonder:Why cant squeenix make a game with likeable story and character like that? what happenened to dragon quest series?

What is most bothersome, is enix doesnt seem to care about its older fans and abandons them with glee as it serves up the more casual and younger audience, saying to older fans:We never catered to you and never will, and our primary audience is little pre teen boys and girls and teen boys and girls.Sure all this ooh and aah may impress them, but it doesnt impress me.In my opinion anyone who says it does is too easily influenced.

Who exactly does ffx-2 FFXIII and FFXIII-2 appeal to? why havent they started to make more westernized products?

Yesterday i was in a videogame store and saw FFXIII-2 i looked at it thinking and i decided not to. I decided i dont feel like dealing with the quick time events which i dont like.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210674
Posted: 30th March 2016 04:35

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Who or what is this supposed to appeal to, anyway? That's my question. It's definitely an odd pairing by my viewpoint.

--------------------
Post #210689
Posted: 30th March 2016 14:01

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Galsic @ 30th March 2016 04:35)
Who or what is this supposed to appeal to, anyway? That's my question. It's definitely an odd pairing by my viewpoint.

Teen and preeteens who have no patience who play call of duty modern warfare.Not even them since they lack attention skills.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210690
Posted: 30th March 2016 16:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 30th March 2016 08:01)
Teen and preeteens who have no patience who play call of duty modern warfare.Not even them since they lack attention skills.

OK, I was kind of leaving this thread alone because I didn't want to kick a horse too much. But I had to respond to this. Maybe the pairing appeals to nobody, I can't be sure. But I'm pretty sure a company that produces handbags that start at about $1200 is not attempting to appeal to "teens and preteens." I really can't fathom why you would post that other than the fact that it's your sole talking point about newer Final Fantasy games.

Anyway, I have become more and more convinced in thinking about it during the course of this thread that the fact that they're using this campaign outside of Japan is mostly just-because-it-exists. At best maybe they're trying to be a bit edgy because a vast majority of Western customers won't recognize the character and will be mildly confused. The LV brand is already established for what it is in the West, so they could probably do absolutely nothing here and have the same sales traffic.

--------------------

Post #210692
Posted: 30th March 2016 19:32

Black Waltz

Awards:
I agree, Magitek. You've got a serious old-man-shaking-fist-at-teens-to-get-off-his-lawn vibe going here.

I think it's a mistake for SE to ignore their longtime fans the way they've done in the past, but I also don't think they owe us anything. They can do what they want, they're SE. Who are you?

We tend to think that the sentimentality present in the games will be shared by the devs who created them...but that is preposterous to expect. The sentimentality in the Final Fantasy games is idealistic in the extreme and no human being could be expected to adhere to such a ridiculous standard of saccharine-sweet "power of friendship" idealism.

They are in the business of making money, after all. That was the idea to begin with, no matter what we thought back when our parents bought us NES's and copies of Final Fantasy to keep us out of their hair for at least a couple hours a day.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210694
Posted: 31st March 2016 11:35

Crusader

Awards:
Anyway, I have become more and more convinced in thinking about it during the course of this thread that the fact that they're using this campaign outside of Japan is mostly just-because-it-exists. At best maybe they're trying to be a bit edgy because a vast majority of Western customers won't recognize the character and will be mildly confused. The LV brand is already established for what it is in the West, so they could probably do absolutely nothing here and have the same sales traffic. [/QUOTE]
I showed the bag thing to my mom and she siad that these adds appeal to young 20 something girls which buy it for status.

The games though are more childish, and that is what i was harping on.
Do i really sound like an old man spooniest? its just that i havent loved an ff game since late 90s and the later ones have been ok at best.Even 10 which i thought was ok didnt really give me that feeling others did.I just feel like squeenix no longer cares if i like the game or maybe never did.

Also money isnt everything.I can give examples of movies beefed up which were inferior to past versions:take dune for an example:The new one sucks compared to the old one.
The new version of total recall while good lacked something the original had.Even sometimes sequels will get lost.I think for an example so far, that the new metal gear solid games past 3 arent as good overall in quality.I think its that the designers run out of ideas maybe, since the metal gear solid series has been running on for a very long time, and once you reach a peak, where do you go from there? i think this happened with the ff series.Maybe they can reach that peak again or surpass, who knows.What i do know is this:I havent felt the same yet.

Also answer me this:who does FFXIII FFXIII-2 FFXII lightning returns and FFXIV appeal to?

FFXIII is as linear as it gets.FFX is super linear, but FXIII beats it.FXIII-2 uses quick time events and still looks like it has that cutesy anime thing going on and not westernized at all, and Lightning returns seemed interesting at first, but im not sure if i want to even buy it.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 31st March 2016 11:40

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210704
Posted: 31st March 2016 14:17

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 31st March 2016 06:35)
I just feel like squeenix no longer cares if i like the game or maybe never did.

I really hate to break it to you, but perhaps, perhaps the devs themselves cared.

Companies do not care. They just want peoples' money.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210705
Posted: 21st April 2016 07:39

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
I don't particularly care about the prior arguments in this thread. Just shrug it off.

What's funny to me, having only played XIII, is the following:
Lightning would never wear that stuff. It doesn't fit her character at all.

Anyway that's all I got, don't attempt to coax me into a war over FFXIII or I will come to your house and poop on your floor.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #210794
Posted: 28th September 2016 23:36

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
This is not going to be the last post I make regarding Lightning Returns given that I just finished it about 15 minutes ago, but now that I've completed the entire 13 series:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
I now get why this works. It actually works in-universe, and the fact that it does is probably the craziest thing in Final Fantasy. I bet a lot of people would be very angry about it, ha.

--------------------

Post #211540
Posted: 12th April 2017 00:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
lol, my computer breaks for a month and I get to come back to this interesting thread. I wonder if this has anything to do with Squares decision to have the XV cast wear clothes designed by a RL fashion designer that will also be possible for purchase in RL? I bet Louis Vuitton saw this gimmick work and wants to jump on the band wagon. I'm sure these adds showing up in the US are completely on Louis part and Square had no say in it really. This move does make sense though. The XV IS a all male cast. So Louis realized there was still open market for the women final fantasy fans. Thus Lighting in fashion clothes. I feel this move would have made more sense if Louis tried to sell a high end replica of Lightnings outfit. I am curious as to whether Squares ties with fashion design will continue or not. We will just have to wait to see.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212540
Posted: 12th April 2017 14:57

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 11th April 2017 18:27)
lol, my computer breaks for a month and I get to come back to this interesting thread. I wonder if this has anything to do with Squares decision to have the XV cast wear clothes designed by a RL fashion designer that will also be possible for purchase in RL? I bet Louis Vuitton saw this gimmick work and wants to jump on the band wagon. I'm sure these adds showing up in the US are completely on Louis part and Square had no say in it really. This move does make sense though. The XV IS a all male cast. So Louis realized there was still open market for the women final fantasy fans. Thus Lighting in fashion clothes. I feel this move would have made more sense if Louis tried to sell a high end replica of Lightnings outfit. I am curious as to whether Squares ties with fashion design will continue or not. We will just have to wait to see.

Well, for what it's worth, this marketing campaign ran almost a year before Final Fantasy XV was released. So, while it's possible that Square and Louis Vuitton had that idea as a selling point, because SE already knew they wanted to do it in XV, it's probably impossible that "they saw this gimmick work" because it hadn't worked yet at that point.

--------------------

Post #212546
Posted: 14th April 2017 13:59

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I'm curious as to how successful this campaign was. Most videogame fans seem to have a negative view on the move (some finding it silly, others just disliking XIII in general).
I haven't seen many responses online from people who are interested in clothing but not familiar with Lightning (granted I haven't really looked for such reactions).

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #212554
Posted: 14th April 2017 15:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
> The XV IS a all male cast.

Wait, now I'm curious, at what point did the FF games stop obeying the three-female-playable-characters rule?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212558
Posted: 14th April 2017 16:45

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 14th April 2017 09:04)
Wait, now I'm curious, at what point did the FF games stop obeying the three-female-playable-characters rule?

Well, technically, the second two games of the 13 series don't have that, but that is because there are only two PCs in 13-2 and only one in LR. All the leads in that series are female, though, of course.

Strictly speaking, there's only one PC in XV, too (unless there are parts that change up that later in the game than I've gotten so far).

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
It's a little unfair that people make it sound like there are just no women anywhere, though, because even though I'm only about halfway through the plot, I've had female guest characters in my battle party twice already, though only for a few hours combined. Based on what I have seen so far, I expect at least one of them to return at some point, and at least one more different one to show up too.

But anyway, not to digress too much from this thread that I obviously really like - there are probably other threads that already go into better detail about the phenomenon you're asking about. smile.gif

Quote (ILoveMoombas!)
I'm curious as to how successful this campaign was. Most videogame fans seem to have a negative view on the move (some finding it silly, others just disliking XIII in general).
I haven't seen many responses online from people who are interested in clothing but not familiar with Lightning (granted I haven't really looked for such reactions).

I'm going to be a bit pedantic here and pull out some of the remnants of my Uni education to respond to this. Apologies to all for the pedantry that is bound to come, or at least the boring marketing theory accompanying it. The success of something like this is not something that you can really quantify, because in advertising and marketing it is extremely unlikely that a given campaign is the sole actuator in making a sale. People in the industry often point to a pyramid of awareness, which is loosely based on Abraham Maslow's work; in this case, the pyramid represents a transition from knowing nothing about a product to actively purchasing it. This image, while not a pyramid, is a nice illustration of the concept - the easiest things to do are at the bottom, but the most valuable to the advertiser is at the top.

Humans, being humans, want to feel like they are making the decisions at the top of the pyramid independent of any other factors. That's almost never the case, but each of us falls into the trap of thinking it anyway. Therefore, the goal of a marketer is merely to shift the consumer in the right direction - up towards the top of the pyramid. For most of us here, and probably FF gamers in general, with regards to Louis Vuitton we are at the Awareness level, if even that. I would put myself, personally, a little higher but not much.

The goal of this partnership isn't to get us to Purchase, or even Conviction. It's to get us moving into Awareness, Knowledge, or even Liking. It's to create baby steps on the way up so that as we find ourselves having more disposable income and perhaps a desire to own a luxury fashion brand, we can refer back to this experience and move up further, possibly as far as Conviction. In this case, that looks like "Sure, I don't have money or desire to buy myself or my significant other an expensive handbag or scarf, but maybe I will have that desire at some point, and I'll remember that one of my favorite game series once partnered with them."

To that end, while you can't quantify it, I think you can probably consider the fact that this thread has more than two dozen posts in it to be a small victory for the campaign. I looked, and the original post at Kotaku, where I first saw this over a year ago, has about 160 posts. Sure, a lot of them in both places are pretty negative, but even that can be considered, if not a success, but at least a learning experience for the brand. Being at the Awareness level, even if it's not necessarily positive, is something to work from later.

--------------------

Post #212561
Posted: 14th April 2017 21:17

Black Waltz

Awards:
As I sit here, re-examining my life and times as a musician, and taking a much-needed respite from it...

...What are FFX-XV and the interstitial spinoff games even like, anyway?

I did not give them fair playthroughs, any, except X and X-2 once, which I wasn't pleased with...

...I wonder if my tastes would have changed at this point, everything about my identity is now up in the air.

Heck, maybe Lightning was doing it to provide funding to a charity for starving children displaced by the FAl-Cie or whatever it is? I dunno

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212562
Posted: 7th August 2017 05:40

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 14th April 2017 16:45)
I'm going to be a bit pedantic here and pull out some of the remnants of my Uni education to respond to this. Apologies to all for the pedantry that is bound to come, or at least the boring marketing theory accompanying it. The success of something like this is not something that you can really quantify, because in advertising and marketing it is extremely unlikely that a given campaign is the sole actuator in making a sale. People in the industry often point to a pyramid of awareness, which is loosely based on Abraham Maslow's work; in this case, the pyramid represents a transition from knowing nothing about a product to actively purchasing it. This image, while not a pyramid, is a nice illustration of the concept - the easiest things to do are at the bottom, but the most valuable to the advertiser is at the top.

Humans, being humans, want to feel like they are making the decisions at the top of the pyramid independent of any other factors. That's almost never the case, but each of us falls into the trap of thinking it anyway. Therefore, the goal of a marketer is merely to shift the consumer in the right direction - up towards the top of the pyramid. For most of us here, and probably FF gamers in general, with regards to Louis Vuitton we are at the Awareness level, if even that. I would put myself, personally, a little higher but not much.

The goal of this partnership isn't to get us to Purchase, or even Conviction. It's to get us moving into Awareness, Knowledge, or even Liking. It's to create baby steps on the way up so that as we find ourselves having more disposable income and perhaps a desire to own a luxury fashion brand, we can refer back to this experience and move up further, possibly as far as Conviction. In this case, that looks like "Sure, I don't have money or desire to buy myself or my significant other an expensive handbag or scarf, but maybe I will have that desire at some point, and I'll remember that one of my favorite game series once partnered with them."

To that end, while you can't quantify it, I think you can probably consider the fact that this thread has more than two dozen posts in it to be a small victory for the campaign. I looked, and the original post at Kotaku, where I first saw this over a year ago, has about 160 posts. Sure, a lot of them in both places are pretty negative, but even that can be considered, if not a success, but at least a learning experience for the brand. Being at the Awareness level, even if it's not necessarily positive, is something to work from later.

As someone that didn't know anything about marketing theory I found this pretty interesting. It brings to mind the phrase "No such thing as bad publicity". I certainly gave more thought to Louis Vuitton in relation to this campaign than I ever had in the past so it was successful from that perspective.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #213188
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: