CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What Was the Point of the DS version?

Posted: 16th February 2014 15:19

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
In my opinion, there was no reason to make a remake of Chrono trigger.
The graphics weren't improved that much, we still had sprites (i'm not complaining, but they just didn't make them different)
I don't see much point in the bonus content, they were just put in to f**k you off.
The only thing they really changed was some names of Techs, and put a map on the bottom screen

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #206151
Posted: 16th February 2014 16:09

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
For one, most people in Europe don't have a SNES and they never got the PS1 version. Also, they brought it to a new generation of gamers and on a mobile platform for that matter.

They didn't really do any more or less with the game than any of their other remakes. I didn't mind the bonus content.

This post has been edited by Cefca on 16th February 2014 16:09
Post #206152
Posted: 16th February 2014 16:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I was stoked when they brought it to the DS, just as I was when the earlier Final Fantasy games moved onto portable systems. Having the ability to take your favorite game with you just about everywhere can be worth everything sometimes.

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #206153
Posted: 16th February 2014 18:28

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I never owned a SNES and didn't buy the PS1 version because I heard the load times were terrible.
The DS version is the only one I have, and I'm glad it exists.

This post has been edited by ILoveMoombas! on 16th February 2014 18:29

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #206154
Posted: 17th February 2014 03:22

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Same reason they did the FFVI and Dragon Quest remakes. It's not a mystery.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #206156
Posted: 17th February 2014 18:08

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
^ this.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #206159
Posted: 17th February 2014 19:38

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, I see a real strong difference between this and, say, the iOS FFV and FFVI remakes, personally. Most of it has been touched on by others, but if you ask me, this (and other Nintendo handheld remakes) provide more to gamers than on mobile phones or tablets.

The things you mention as having changed seem like pretty good changes to me - part of the extra content, at least as far as I've been told, helps bridge the stories of Trigger and Cross; the map on the bottom screen is just handy. Of course all remakes have money as their motivator as much as anything else, but I don't think this one is nearly as cynical as you're making it out to be, personally.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #206160
Posted: 17th February 2014 23:53

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
They did take full advantage of the Dual screen - all the menu options could be put down there, avoiding a crowded screen.
I don't know if i'd have ever picked it up if I wasn't looking for good games on the DS at that point.
So I'm grateful it came out.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #206161
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: