CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Chrono Trigger

Posted: 26th February 2005 04:25

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
hey guys, i just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this game. where does it rank among your top rpgs ever? best games ever? i honestly think it is the best rpg after ff6 with ff7 close behind. among the best ever, i think it has to be in my top 10 for sure. the storyline was just great and i loved the characters. so what do you think?

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #74342
Posted: 26th February 2005 05:34

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I just about tie it with FFVI for best RPG ever. In fact, CT usually ranks slightly higher.

Despite their selection of unusual characters (a frog, a cavewoman, a robot, ...), the plot firmly explains their roles and ties them into the story. And there's quite a lot of backstory as well.

Square made this game skillfully enough that the element of time travel actually didn't produce any plotholes (except possibly for being able to get 'powered up' weapons and then the older ones as well), and instead added coherence to the plot.

The story mood was just about right too--overall, neither too oddly happy nor too dark and sinister. The music helped with specific situations, by providing musical background moods to areas, and in this sense the colors of backgrounds (e.g. shiny, bright colors in Enhasa vs. darkness in the 'domes') also did the same thing.

Graphically, this is one of the best RPGs I've ever seen. While technically retaining 2-D status, they player gets a nearly 3-D view of the area (it could count as actually 3D, just only at a non-adjustable angle), in a similar 3/4-bird's-eye-view camera position. The sprite design in this game has had especially much attention, with over 100 sprites for Chrono alone, and with multiple sprites for each monster (due to the excellent battling system). The detail nearly approaches the detail possible on a 3D game.

And as I just mentioned, the graphical battle system is the 'realest' RPG battle system I've seen that isn't an actual tactical system. It gives relevance to ray, line, and area attacks, and eliminates the strange 'artificial' 'fighting a portrait of the enemy' feel that comes with sides-arranged battling.

And I don't even have to mention the extraordinary soundtrack that comes with this game.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #74344
Posted: 26th February 2005 06:09

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Chrono Trigger is tied for my favorite RPG ever, with Skies of Arcadia.

Not only is everything that GMH said true, the characters are all entertaining, balanced, and beautifully drawn (from the token females Marle and Lucca to the super badass Magus), the battle system is the best use of the active time gauge I've ever seen, in addition to the usual spells and techniques you can execute coordinated double and triple techs, and the worlds created over the different eras are fun and beautiful. Add a solid, if cliche storyline, a wonderful Mitsuda-Uematsu musical collaboration that'll probably never happen again, and a wonderfully simple and elegant stats system, and I'm honestly not sure if there will ever be another RPG as classic as CT.

Edit
See my sprite? See it?

This post has been edited by laszlow on 26th February 2005 13:06

--------------------
Post #74347
Posted: 26th February 2005 06:29

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
It was one of my all time favs.... I say was because once i saw all the endings... the replay value when down the drain for me o.o

It is often said that it often ties with ff6, I too, believe that to be true. In other words, a great game, no RPGer should live without playing it at least once.

--------------------
Link: "What is it?"
Mario: "It's coin, what the hell does it look like?"
Link: "Well.... What do you do with it?"
Mario: "You buy lives with them."
Link: ".... Isn't that slavery?"
~Mario/Link crossover comic~
Post #74357
Posted: 26th February 2005 06:49

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I love Chrono Trigger. One of my most favorite games to replay, especially since I've nearly worn my cartridge's memory out since I've played it so much. heart.gif

Probably fifty times, at least! I love the characters, story, settings, themes... everything.

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #74364
Posted: 26th February 2005 08:10

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I agree with it being tied with ff6 as best game ever, even though it seemed somehow smaller than ff6. for example, 3 digit hp, speed that could go to 16, nowhere near as many sidequests, much more linear storyline...but the graphics, soundtrack and fun-factor brush all that away!

--------------------
"Fire and steel
follow me through the lands
you will burn hordes of hell
in the deadly raging flames of revenge"

Rhapsody - Flames of Revenge
Post #74371
Posted: 26th February 2005 09:56

Cactuar

Awards:
Ummmmmm I'd have to say :

FFVI
FFVII
FFX
FFX-2
CT
And i can't realy think of anything else at the monent but if i do ill edit this post

--------------------
Money is no good unspent.
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
Post #74382
Posted: 26th February 2005 12:20

SOLDIER

Awards:
I enjoy the game a lot, and do hold it in high regard. Although not my fave game of all time, it does get very high marks.

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #74393
KefkaLives
Posted: 26th February 2005 13:34
Unregistered

I like it, but think it's overrated. It has all the typical Square elements that make a game: great story, great characters, great gameplay, great music. But I dunno...I just found it a little easy and dull at times. I was never a fan of New Game + either. Most CT fans swear by it, but I don't see the point. Maybe if the enemies increased in difficulty, but what's the point of crusising through every battle? The multiple endings are cool but I would have liked a little more of a challenge.
Post #74396
Posted: 26th February 2005 18:05

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Love it. It kicked ass. Especially the music and the characters and the plot, even though the whole thing is one big plothole, it isn't even noticeable unless you really think about it. Also, Magus=coolest mage ever. Lastly, Lucca is the best female character in any game ever. wub.gif

--------------------
Mercy?! I am the sixth phase of your world's destruction! would you like some evil pie?

My name is Fox, I am infinitely great, and I am the author of this comic strip..
Post #74432
Posted: 26th February 2005 20:56

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Fox @ 26th February 2005 13:05)
even though the whole thing is one big plothole

Not too sure what you mean.

And now that you mention it, why the heck don't I do the same?

I always liked Lucca. Ever since the first time I saw her. (NERD PRIDE!!)

And also, look at my screenname: it's 2 parts CT and 1 part FFIV. Guess what secondary reason made me pick 'Glenn'? (Hint: it has to do with Lucca.)

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #74465
Posted: 26th February 2005 21:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
personally I didn't really like lucca *dodges various missles such as tomatoes, knives and h-bombs being thrown at him*. why? slow, weak, firepower didn't really feel like much, and I always substituted magus for her for pyro needs. why is it that the two missile chars are the weakest?

--------------------
"Fire and steel

Post #74476
Posted: 26th February 2005 22:16

Black Mage

Awards:
Lucca is the best female character in any game ever.

I couldn't agree more, Fox: Lucca was really cool. In fact, the game as a whole was really great. Definitely one of the best I've ever played. There are some games that I enjoy more, but those are few and far between. Overall, I would give this game a 10/10, simply because you can't go beyond that ranking without sounding stupid happy.gif

personally I didn't really like lucca

BLASPHEMY!!!! dry.gif

This post has been edited by Random Person on 26th February 2005 22:17

--------------------
~ Aurora, exhale bloody air! Dark Holy! ~
Post #74482
Posted: 27th February 2005 00:33

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (alphasmart @ 26th February 2005 16:27)
personally I didn't really like lucca *dodges various missles such as tomatoes, knives and h-bombs being thrown at him*.  why?  slow, weak, firepower didn't really feel like much, and I always substituted magus for her for pyro needs.  why is it that the two missile chars are the weakest?

But Napalm was useful against Magus. And only bringing her allowed you to use a nasty combo against Magus in his lair. And she gets fire-resisting armor from Taban, which helps against the Golems, the Tyranos, and the Son of Sun. And she has oneof the most 'aww' sidequests.

And she's good-looking. *is still looking for a real-life Lucca...*

Quote (Random Person)
Overall, I would give this game a 10/10

Personally, I graded it at 98/100 a while back. In comparison, FFVI got 97/100, and Super Mario RPG got somewhere between 90 and 95 (I can't remember).

Edit
Added 'and the Son of Sun'. (What the heck kind of a monster name is that, anyways?) Also added the comment bound by *s.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th March 2005 09:09

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #74505
Posted: 27th February 2005 01:21

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
It the rpg I played the most, for unlocking those bonus things in the psx version ..but I really enjoy playing it, besides has cool graphics, and the best time travel rpg storyline ever..right now I leave it with crono lv 89 , but I love this game..and bulma..sorry lucca too..

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #74514
Posted: 27th February 2005 05:23

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
No firepower? Apparently you've never gotten a critical hit on the high end of the Wondershot. 5,000 damage at medium level = wub.gif

But seriously, I've probably put more time on this game than any game ever. It's just something I can't tire of. I can't find any fault with it, except small theoretical time travel issues, and you don't really think about those when you're face-to-face with Lavos.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #74538
Posted: 27th February 2005 06:48

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Chrono Trigger is, along with Final Fantasy VI, my absolute favorite RPG of all time. The plot was fantastic, and the time travel theme allowed for the best of both worlds in setting - fantasy and futuristic. To this day, most RPGs simply cannot match the sense of surrealistic wonder achieved by some of the exotic locales in Chrono Trigger, particularly the Kingdom of Zeal. The soundtrack was also superb. Needless to say, I loved the characters, especially Magus, who more or less epitomizes the dark mage antihero character.

I've always said that one of Chrono Trigger's finest strengths is that it never takes itself too seriously. Though it can be very moving and poignant when the time is right, it also lends a healthy amount of humor and the absurd. Chrono Trigger is probably the most fun I've ever had playing an RPG, and I've yet to encounter anything similar in the genre.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #74551
Posted: 27th February 2005 08:03

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I also loved the soundtrack. my 2 favourite ones were the magus boss battle theme, which lent itself to my funnest bossbattle ever, and frog's theme. some of his scenes were really emotional, and brought a tear to my eye!

--------------------
"Fire and steel

Post #74554
Posted: 27th February 2005 21:00

Chimera

Awards:
I don't like the game because of the way it wanders into controversial territory with the old world propaganda pitch. I played until the point when you go back in time 60 million years or whatever the number is (the one with lots of zeros tongue.gif). Perhaps the game gets brighter after that point but at the beginning it's a pretty dark and depressing atmosphere. The castle escape was pretty cool, but nothing else seemed very impressive. I suppose you have to see the whole story to really appreciate the game.

This post has been edited by i90east on 27th February 2005 21:03

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
Tauu the Windurstian Tarutaru!
White Mage & Paladin
Post #74602
Posted: 27th February 2005 21:27

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (i90east @ 27th February 2005 16:00)
I suppose you have to see the whole story to really appreciate the game.

Partly that, and partly it being truly overrated. I'd say it's a tie between wether CT or Earthbound is more overrated. wink.gif

It's a great game, but not the massive legend everyone makes it sound like. There's no doubt CT has a massive fanbase and quite a lot of popularity, but there have been games with better storylines (subjectivity nonwithstanding.) The character design ranks between solid for some of the characters to just plain weak for others, including (shock!) the main character who never speaks nor gets developped in any way save through the other characters' view of him.

I thought CT was great and played it far, far more than I ever should've when it came out. But to be honest, I felt the game suffered considerably from the main character's completely 2D and cookie-cutter design. Square claimed it didn't give Crono any lines so the player would more readily identify with a "blank" character and fill in the blanks themselves. To me, that just gouged a big hole out of the storyline. :/ (And no. He's not mute. He has two lines in the endings.)

In retrospect, the storyline itself was a pretty nice twist on the whole "save the world from annihilation" thing comparable to Rudora no Hihou's. The graphics were awesome (though the character animations were a little stiff, particularly in battle; compared to previously-mentionned Rudora no Hihou attacking was severely lacking in frames...) and the music quite memorable. And the large amount of endings gave it massive replayability.

No doubt about it, it ranks high in terms of classical RPGs, but its fans make it sound far better than it actually is when viewed from a neutral, un-hype-tainted perspective.

If I were to rate this where 0 is utter failiure, 10 legendary, and 5 the norm...
Story: 6/10
Music: 9/10
Graphics: 7/10
Challenge: 8/10
Overall: 75% Prize "cookie" get! biggrin.gif
Other games would rank as follow in my opinion: FF6 7/8/7/6 (70%), RnH 7/8/8/9 (80%), EB 5/2/6/8 (52.5%), Pong 0/1/1/5 (17.5%)

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 27th February 2005 21:36

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #74605
Posted: 27th February 2005 21:47

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Chrono Trigger is a great game and very fun to play. I've played through it several times, but I haven't beaten it quite yet. Still, it is one of the top RPGs.

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #74606
Posted: 27th February 2005 23:34

Returner

Awards:
1In my all-time favourite RPGs list, CT would be at:
1. FFVII
2. Grandia
3. CT
4. FFVIII
5. FFVI
6. Lufia II

I first tried CT at a friend's place many years back and I remember that I had never heard of the game back then. After playing it for a few hours, I was in love with it since and got the game myself. The story & gameplay was consistently superb throughout the game, and I never found a single bit boring. It was the best-selling RPG in Japan at the time it came out andeI believe it fully deserved to be. The battle system was superior to any FF game in my opinion,aexcept WFX and FFX-2. The graphics and character designs were excellent, and were designed by Toriyama Akira of Dragon Ball fame. Lucca had a passing resemblance to Bu}ma from DBZ because of this reason. The time-travelling storyline was deeply involving and the characters were equally involving. Although I didn't like the idea of Crono being silent like the Dragon Quest games, I didn't feel it had any major effect on the overall experience but that's open to opinion. And oh yeah, the music was amazing, the Kingdom of Zeal theme was my favourite one.

This post has been edited by Jag on 1st March 2005 08:22
Post #74615
Posted: 28th February 2005 17:44

Lunarian

Awards:
Loved the game. As a sidenote, and something noone ever talks about, it was the first Japanese RPG that I thought "Hey, this was really well translated."

It was kind of a unique moment for me. Marle commented that "Something reeks!" and I thought to myself, "Wow, that's my venacular! Way to go square." I've never agreed with the Ted Woolesy hatred and now you konw why.

Choro not talking: When I first noticed this, I was like hey how come my guy isn't talking? Wait I get it, his actions and responses are to be governed by me, cool!

Anyway, I could go on and on about how cool the battle system was and how huge a step the game was, but you've heard most of it before. I vote yes to CT.

Also: Earthbound an overrated game? In what way does a game that never really goes big in the mainstream become overated? I'm lost...
I can only assume you meant to say FFVII.

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #74675
Posted: 13th March 2005 00:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
It truly is an awesome game. One of the best storylines, characters, battle system, magic system, graphics on SNES, and music. Truly an awesome game.

--------------------
Yunalesca: "Hope is...comforting. It allows us to accept fate, however tragic it might be. "

Yunalesca: "Poor creature. You would throw away hope. Well... I will free you before you can drown in your sorrow. It is better for you to die in hope than to live in despair. Let me be your liberator. "
Post #76029
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: