CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 24th January 2020 13:11

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I've been playing Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and I'm really enjoying it. The battle system is great, there are a lot of missions and hunts, and the story is great too.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #215964
Posted: 30th January 2020 15:45

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I just finished playing RDR2 and am currently playing the RE2 remake. After that I may get back on the FF grind but not sure which one I will play next. I own FF8, FF12 and FF15 but haven't played any of them yet. Also have not play FF1 through FF5 and would like to visit those at some point.
Post #215971
Posted: 1st February 2020 11:55

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (ShaneT12 @ 30th January 2020 12:45)
I own FF8, FF12 and FF15 but haven't played any of them yet.

I highly recommend FF12! It's the best of those three, imo.

--------------------
Post #215976
Posted: 19th February 2020 09:58

Returner

I got Kingdom Come: Deliverance from the last Epic Games giveaway and started to play. This game is awesome! I don't know why I didn't play it so far but I loved it as a big RPG fan. Actually, the mechanics are kinda silly and there are a lot of bugs like in Skyrim: NPC's sliding, people fall from the sky etc. However, the plot totally caught me. I'm not a slow player, only playing 2-3 hours a day and it took me 3 days to complete the intro biggrin.gif I got lost in the info section. The info section is one of the best sides of the game. You can find any information about medieval times and it helps you to adapt to the game better. It seems like I will be playing the game longer than 2-3 hours a day since I'm out of my mind with boredom. We came to Italy with my father and I'm sitting at home all day while he's dealing with some issues about our old property in Lake Garda. This game totally saved my life.

This post has been edited by columbus17 on 20th February 2020 11:02
Post #215995
Posted: 21st February 2020 21:17

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Wold of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest 11
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Skyrim
Mortal Kombat 11

This post has been edited by Stauf on 21st February 2020 21:17
Post #215997
Posted: 22nd February 2020 07:00
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Installed GTA IV a while back to see what the Natural and Realistic ENB looks like for it. Not bad honestly.

Also got SIGIL, which is John Romero's free fifth episode to the original 1993 Doom. It was fun, but very...uh...compact compared to other WADs I've played.

After that I replayed some Black Flag as I had a save I'd never finished and felt an inexplicable desire to dick around its high seas open world. Turns out I'd already done that for the most part and just spent the majority of the time polishing off the remaining missions with a...considerably OP'ed character, ship and resources. I noticed the performance of the game was reduced considerably and that's had me puzzled.

Now, I'm playing Alien Isolation...again. For the like...seventh time? To be fair, it's the Switch version that I've never played before and I gotta few things to say about this port it turns out.

For one...hooooooow?! It is...nothing short of remarkable just how good this game looks...on a portable gaming system? This things has the best anti-aliasing I've seen in any version...including the pc one I own! It's ridiculous!

That being said, it does have a grievous flaw to it, which is a severe response time to player input. When first I tried to move around in the game, I found that I could move the analog sticks and let go before the actual movement occurred on-screen. It's so bad, that the developers of the port openly acknowledged the issue...by saying they weren't going to fix it. Apparently for most peeps, it aint an issue, but for yours truly - having cut his teeth most of his life on PC FPS - it's...an adjustment to be sure...

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 22nd February 2020 07:01

--------------------
Post #215999
Posted: 5th April 2020 10:44

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Narratorway @ 22nd February 2020 07:00)
That being said, it does have a grievous flaw to it, which is a severe response time to player input. When first I tried to move around in the game, I found that I could move the analog sticks and let go before the actual movement occurred on-screen. It's so bad, that the developers of the port openly acknowledged the issue...by saying they weren't going to fix it. Apparently for most peeps, it aint an issue, but for yours truly - having cut his teeth most of his life on PC FPS - it's...an adjustment to be sure...

Always frustrating when a developer says they're not going to bother fixing a massive issue with their game. I suppose it's marginally better than total silence though.

I'm currently playing Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds, both very good, with fun narratives that don't take themselves too seriously. Expecting I'll be getting Resident Evil 3 through the door tomorrow.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #216026
Posted: 8th April 2020 15:24

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm still playing League of Legends (after a three month break... when the client allows me) and Summoners War.

I finished the Last of Us not so long ago and still need to play the extra mode. What a truly smashing game and story that was. Wowzerz
Post #216036
Posted: 19th April 2020 11:35

Cactuar

Awards:
My three recent games in no particular order.

Chess - Mastered the game.

Resistance: Avalon - I do great nearly all the time.

Perfect Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHLV3Thaww

I'm usually posting it to my Facebook page. I'm not playing FF's right now but you never know.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #216054
Posted: 26th April 2020 05:25
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I reinstalled Deus Ex: Human Revolution since I hadn't played it in years and remember it being a really impressively solid experience when I first gave it the go round those so many years ago and made a rather unusual discovery.

So I first got the game back when it was released in 2011, but my system was using a GTX 280 at the time, which was top of the top of the top of the line...three years prior. Being as high-end as it was when I got it, it still packed an impressive enough punch to run the game butter smooth, but it was still juuuuuust this side of too old to support DX11. So while I loved the game and its visual style, I wasn't able to see it at it's fullest potential. No regrets.

Turns out, now with my GTX 970 Win10 64bit system...it still won't run with DX11 features! Breaks the game flat out. To be fair, this is the Director's Cut version - which has been visually buggy ever time I've tried to play it through the years - because the original won't play on my system at all. It's a bummer, cause it's still a really fun game to play.

Also my PS4 broke and it's past warranty, so I ordered replacement parts to fix it myself. While waiting, I dusted off my PS3 and finished up the first Red Dead Redemption. Turns out I was only a couple of a missions shy of the ending. It's still a fun game, but man have I forgotten how choppy the framerate gets in spots.

--------------------
Post #216076
Posted: 26th April 2020 10:13

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
I recently finished the FF7 Remake! I was going to redo a chapter (that's a thing you can do after the game) to do a sidequest I missed, but I haven't done that yet. I think what I'm going to do is let the game sit for a while, then do that in a week or two.

It was a really good game. The characters look amazing, the battle system is great, and they've really fleshed out the story.

I've mostly been playing Pokemon Go! since and considering getting Animal Crossing.

--------------------
Post #216077
Posted: 26th April 2020 17:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I finally finished Fallen Order this morning, and I have to say that I'm very happy with the additions to Star Wars canon that the final act put together. They could have very easily dug some plot holes and seem to have pretty deftly avoided them. One of the new characters introduced in the game, with connections to the Clone Wars, quickly became one of my favorite new characters in quite a while.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #216079
Posted: 26th April 2020 20:10

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just fell deeeep into the rabbit hole when a friend showed me Control. It's pretty much everything I ever wanted SCP Containment Breach to be. I still love SCP's though, don't get me wrong. They did an amazing job for their budget.

Acquired Trials of Mana as well and now my little under the age of 10 self is screaming and crying with joy. It's so cheesy, I love it.

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #216080
Posted: 28th April 2020 05:32

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I finished Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward on Friday! It took me five months to play, but a big reason for that is because I bought a house in game on Christmas and then spent the next six weeks leveling up crafting so I could make furniture for the house.

Also: I have general anxiety disorder, and it tends to kick in when I do dungeons with pick-up groups. So I had to wait until my friend was free to run me through dungeons. She was glad to help, but yeah, the waiting slowed me down.

I absolutely loved the music in this expansion, especially the themes for Coerthas Western Highlands and the Dravinian Forelands. And all the zones are HUGE! As you might expect from an expansion named Heavensward, the zones had height to them and you needed a flying mount to explore all their areas.

I grew incredibly find of Alphinaud during this expansion, though even so, I did get tired of his company after a while.

Story-wise... Well, it wasn't bad by any means, but elsewhere I summarized the story in one sentence. So it felt light on story. It's certainly not as bad as the bridge between A Realm Reborn and Heavensward which felt like it was full of pointless fetch quests. I do think Heavensward set up a lot that will have impact on the future.

Now I'm working on the bridge quests between HW and the next expansion, Stormblood. I, uh, Also made a second character, so yeah, I've been playing a lot!

Though I made a promise to myself that once a week I will play a game other than XIV. For my first game I've chosen Bravely Default. I'm not far in it at all, but played enough to think that the Tiz's voice actor sure sounds familiar! I *thought* he sounded like Mont from War of the Visions:FFBE, and so I just googled it and yup, same actor!

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #216084
Posted: 30th April 2020 00:52

Cactuar

Awards:
I'm not embarrassed to say I dusted off my GE 64 game and Perfect Dark game. I have videos of my recent play on my youtube channel if you want to see it. My claim to fame is GE 64 as I was once 4th in the world at the game on it's hardest level.

The reason why I didn't get first is because the top three at the time beat the more levels considered hardest at the time. I also didn't see how the knowledge crosses over to other games. I've made money playing Chess and found the abilities in that game more useful than shooters.

I've played Resistance: Avalon at TheResistancePlus and Proavalon.com. I've lost interest in social deduction games not playing as often as I use to. My future post on the Chrono Trigger endings, all 14, will reveal my interpretations.

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 30th April 2020 00:54

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #216086
Posted: 3rd May 2020 07:00
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Grabbed the RE2 remake while it was on sale and it's got its hooks in me. Yeah, I'm liking it!

--------------------
Post #216099
Posted: 6th May 2020 21:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I took a three-and-a-half-month hiatus from 100% Orange Juice, and during that time...

I beat Rabbit's Quest. It's a metroidvania where you get free up/down/left/right movement. It's reasonably difficult. Has a sort of space-ish/"planet with ancient secrets" theme to it, somewhat akin to Environmental Station Alpha (which is cited as an inspiration, and which I beat earlier but have yet to fully plumb the depths of its very, very extensive postgame material). Other inspirations include Hero Core, a game I haven't played.

An interesting mechanic in Rabbit's Quest it has is that every room you clear of enemies gives you 1 point, and you exchange those points for health upgrades -- 2 points = +1 max HP (and your HP is refilled at save points). It's also got at least a handful of optional challenges you can do to get the best ending.

Anyway, I got 100%, including beating the bonus dungeon and bonus boss. I recommend it. I also really like its chiptune jazz fusion soundtrack. It's donationware, too -- you can get it for free, but I paid for it because I think the game is very well-made. https://directshift.itch.io/rabbits-quest

I also finished Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition, with the best ending. This is a remake of the first game (Guacamelee: Gold Edition), basically. It changes the first game substantially enough that it is sold separately. Both are enjoyable, and give different experiences, but I'd say that STCE is arguably more feature-complete and a little fancier.

For those of you who don't know, Guacamelee is a metroidvania platformer strongly inspired by Mexican culture, including but not limited to lucha libre. It has a brilliant sense of flair and visual style, and the gameplay is also top notch, with an emphasis on combat with combos and special moves like throws.

I'm this close to 100%, but that would require me to do all of the Combo Chicken things and get gold medals in all the challenges and I don't care enough to do that. I already got all the really hidden secrets anyway.

Both Rabbit's Quest and Guacamelee (at least for the best ending) are games I'd consider to be somewhat on the difficult side. But, the difficulty makes them feel rewarding, particularly Guacamelee.

Since I last posted here, I've also messed with some other games.

I beat Shadowcrypt, a short combat-focused platformer where you fight your way through a dungeon. I beat Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, a short metroidvania platformer. I read a short visual novel called Sepia Tears, which is an interesting story about perceptions of people. I replayed Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland. I messed with the beginning of Atelier Sophie, a crafting-focused JRPG. I can do this now that I have a gamepad. And I wasted some time playing an internet argument simulator called Social Justice Warriors. (Yes, there's a game actually called that. It is exactly what I described it to be.)

I also beat Chasm. It's a procedurally-generated metroidvania, where the map is procedurally-generated, though static during a given playthrough. Its movement and combat are heavily reminiscent of the Castlevania games, specifically the castletroids. It also has an "Arcade" mode which lets you fight through room by room; this mode is randomized every time you play. And you can play for daily and weekly leaderboards.

I've also continued playing various Super Metroid randomizers, Zelda 3: a Link to the Past randomizers, and combo randomizers. I stream them to a few friends. I also was streaming Metroid Fusion to them once, wherein I specifically played the Metroid Fusion Repalette hack, but I didn't finish in one session and I'll have to get back to that later. I mean, the reason I played that -- the coronavirus pandemic -- hasn't exactly disappeared yet...

Speaking of streaming, I had also been streaming La-Mulana to a few friends, especially one who's supposed to be helping me co-solve the game's puzzles. I have yet to beat the remake version of the game (I've just beaten the original, and that was years ago, and that was following a video walkthrough). In return, he streamed to me Gray Matter, a point-and-click adventure whose (quite intriguing!) story involves a stage magician investigating some seemingly supernatural mysteries, written by Jane Jensen (who made the Gabriel Knight series), and a rhythm game called A Dance of Fire and Ice. He and I should continue La-Mulana and Gray Matter sometime.

I've also been meaning to get through a couple games I'm supposed to review. Specifically, I got Adventure of a Lifetime and Frane from being an admin of a Steam group with a curation list. Adventure of a Lifetime is one of VN developer Pulltop's "coming of age" trilogy, and is a story of adventure and romance set in the Ogasawara Islands, which is a real-life place, and the VN gives a lot of attention to the features and natural beauty of the island and its surrounding waters. Seems pretty nice so far. As for the other one, I haven't started playing that yet. Frane: Dragons' Odyssey is an action RPG, published by Kemco, which seems to have published a lot of these smaller games that I think are not actually-doujin sort of indie but from small companies. Frane, developed by Exe-Create, had the unfortunate experience of being localized and published by a bad troll some years ago who reportedly made a poor translation and put Securom DRM on it, but later, it seems Kemco stepped in and redid everything (I checked screenshots).

Though, ever since October 2019 when Steam mangled its Library UI so that it now lags obnoxiously on my computer, and forces me to look at advertising, among other problems, I haven't been using Steam as much. I've only purchased DRM-free games elsewhere, since then.

FYI, here are places I know of to buy games DRM-free:

* Stores where all products are DRM-free: FireFlower Games, GOG, Zoom Store (zoom-platform.com), for games in general. JAST USA and MangaGamer, for visual novels.
* Stores where some platforms are DRM-free (check the store page): GamersGate, Humble Store, itch.io (the vast majority of things here are DRM-free I think), Playism (also mostly DRM-free). Steam, too, to some extent, though (1) it doesn't supply standalone installers and also (2) does not tell you what games are DRM-free.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 6th May 2020 21:57

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #216109
Posted: 16th May 2020 05:14

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Just getting back into flight simulators for this first time since, well, the 90s. The last flight sim I played was Microsoft Flight Sim 95 (or 98, I really can't remember which). But today, I'm playing IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946. Just picked it up on Steam and flew my first mission in a B-24 over Hawaii.
Post #216128
Posted: 17th May 2020 18:14

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Started playing GTA V on PC after getting it for free from the epic store, I wanted to get this version so I could try some of the mods.

I've also been trying to go through my steam catalogue and play games I either haven't played in years or have never played, so I've been playing some:

Binding of Isaac
Machinarium
Overlord
Missing Translation

This post has been edited by Cefca on 17th May 2020 18:14
Post #216130
Posted: 18th May 2020 12:08

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
I started playing Animal Crossings: New Horizons yesterday.

I like it so far, my only issue is that I can't turn off the gibberish sound that happens when I talk to any of the characters. It's not a huge deal though, I'll just play with the sound off and play my own music.

--------------------
Post #216135
Posted: 25th May 2020 16:12

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I have been hanging out with some folks who are way into trivia and puzzles.

I am currently 7 questions away from writing up a quiz for Final Fantasy IV. No, wait, actually, it's for Final Fantasy II (US). Because it's fun to ask about its odd translations and version quirks.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th May 2020 23:18

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216152
Posted: 25th May 2020 21:42

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Elena99 @ 1st February 2020 05:55)
Quote (ShaneT12 @ 30th January 2020 12:45)
I own FF8, FF12 and FF15 but haven't played any of them yet.

I highly recommend FF12! It's the best of those three, imo.

Played through FF12 and I agree I thought it was a pretty good game! Better than I was expecting anyway!

Playing FF4 for the first time now and I am enjoying myself so far. Just defeated Octomamm so not too far in yet. This means I'll be back on the forums more often as I am using the walkthrough here!

This post has been edited by ShaneT12 on 25th May 2020 21:43
Post #216156
Posted: 2nd June 2020 04:47

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I have finished the post-Heavensward quests in Final Fantasy XIV! No spoilers from me, but I will say it was good to see a certain character again. I thought the ending had less of an OMG! reaction than the bridge quests between ARR and HW, but it was still a solid ending. There was a reveal of a certain piece of info that I didn't see coming.

I had been curious at the banner for Stormblood, wondering who a certain character in the banner was. Well, now I know! Again, no spoilers from me.

Otherwise, I've been slowly replaying FFIX. I splurged and bought it for the PS4, and I'm glad I did because it's so pretty! I had to Google how to view the active time events though, it wasn't intuitive. I also accidentally put the game into auto-battle during a boss fight, and couldn't figure out what happened (I thought I got berserked). But controls aside, it was well worth the money for the convenience and enhanced graphics.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216177
Posted: 21st July 2020 05:41

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Just started playing Polyroll: https://hofstudios.itch.io/polyroll

It's one of at least a few games that show clear inspiration from the 2D Sonic games. In this regard, it's even more like Sonic than Freedom Planet. (I haven't yet played Spark the Electric Jester.)

You play as a roly-poly (i.e. a pillbug), which can roll around as a sphere, and you have one button for jump and one button which you hold for charging your spin. And as long as you're in ball form, you deal contact damage to things. And you go through one level at a time, and you've got springs, spikes, shields, and so on. And even the ground is textured kinda like old Sonic games.

Though this game has its own takes on Sonic's mechanics. The world maps lets you revisit stages. The shields, for example, are a spike shield (immunity to spike damage), a magnet shield (to attract gems), a feather shield (for slow fall), and a bomb shield (which lets you drop bombs, which break certain blocks). And you pick up gems, but you don't lose all your gems when you get hit -- rather you have a few hearts, and every 10 gems regains you a heart. And each level has secrets, and (at least in the first area) finding those secrets unlocks a bonus level where you can get extra heart capacity (specifically in a challenging race against time using the bomb shield).

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216238
Posted: 16th August 2020 05:11

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Last night I finished Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood! Well, I still have to do the bridge quests between Stormblood and Shadowbringers, but Stormblood itself is done.

I fell completely in love with Alisaie during this expansion, and was glad a friend had brought me through The Binding Coil of Bahamut a while back (we did it unsynched) as that was rather important to Alisaie's story. I was also glad I elected to wait to unlock Red Mage and Samurai until now, because both jobs have storylines that have more impact of you've played Stormblood.

The story of this expansion is really solid. In the past, I've been indifferent to the bad guys but I was not indifferent to the ones here - I rather hated them at first, but then began thinking that one of them, especially, probably had a good background story and I was right. I can understand why my friend says she loves that character, though I'm still warning up to the character myself.

I really appreciate how much content is in this game. I play every day, and I started this expansion in June 2nd. I did get distracted by mog tome farming for a few weeks, but... Yeah, there's no way I could have blazed through the story quickly, even with playing daily. I can't help comparing it to FFXI, in which my linkshell spammed the story of one expansion in *three days*.

The zones in Heavensward are huge and have height. Well, the Stormblood zones are just as huge, and have depth. It was fun to explore an actual sea, unlike "Sea" from FFXI which was a zone without any true water.

A couple of months back, I had a crisis of confidence and was seriously thinking of quitting XIV. Back then, I was really missing XI and said that XI was home for me in a way that XIV wasn't. After finishing Stormblood, I can honestly say that XIV is the better game, and I'm glad I stuck with it. It's still not quite home, but even so I love it to pieces (especially the twins, they are so great) and I look forward to doing more story. Like I said, I still have to do the post-Stormblood quests, but I'm really looking forward to Shadowbringers as I've heard it's fantastic.

--Althea Valara on Coeurl, Crystal data center, level 70 bard
--Eirian Ari on Brynhildr, Crystal data center, summoner main

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216256
Posted: 20th August 2020 21:14
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Whelp! My PS4 got fixed...and by fixed I mean I wasn't able to fix it and just straight up bought a brand new one on sale! Which was good timing cause shortly afterwards, I found out my mobo's going out on my gaming PC!

user posted image

Soooooo I renewed my PS Plus subscription and bought a whole gaggle of games on the cheap or for free...then played almost none of them and instead cleared out some unfinished business.

Uncharted Collection
Can't remember when I grabbed this, but it was a goodly while ago. The only Uncharted I'd ever beat was the first one, so I cleared out the 2nd and 3rd. The narratives of these games were highly praised for their day, which baffles me. The acting/dialogue 'n such in the moment to moment bits are fine, but the stories are just...Indiana Jones. Like, not even a spin on the formula, just...the formula. Like, the second one has you finding Shambala in the Himalayas and the things nestled in a valley between mountains out with a clear sky above it. These games take place in the modern era. If a plane didn't spot this massive place, satellite imaging sure as shit would have! Whatever. They're dumb fun you can breeze through with relatively little hassle. Just like:

Modern Warfare 2 Remaster
This was a nostalgia trip for me because I still have the cracks for the original game nestled somewhere in my computer. The first thing that really took me by surprise is just how smooth and responsive the controls are. There's very few FPS games I'll tolerate on a console but this made the experience a lot more enjoyable than it would have been, however it's still a remaster, so it just as laughably shallow as its always been. Quick six hours of fun, then cleared off the HDD.

GTA V
It was on the cheap for the PS4 and I still feel ripped off. Things were off the moment the first mission started and it turns out the culprit was once again input lag. Tried to figure out if it was possible to grab a 100% completion game online, so I wouldn't have to play the game in order to play it, but that's looking like a no-go. What a waste.

Resident Evil 7
Doesn't really seem to be much different between the Pro and Regular versions of the game other than some slightly improved textures that aren't all that noticeable with a VR helmet outputting at such a low resolution. Stalled on this though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn on the P...S4 still
More than any other game listed, I been sinking my teeth back into this sucka since it's PC port has made it all the rage again! It's still good and I finally dug my way out of the Sacred Lands and into the really stonkin huge guts of the game. That was a very good while ago though. At this point, I'm up to level 55 and stomping around the Northern DLC area, which is no slouch in terms of size and content either! It's also reeeeally improved the facial animations. The core game had miles of random facial tics that'd pop off during dialogue regardless of whether it made sense for the person talking. Now...it's all syncs up muuuuch better, and it really has me curious how they did it. These games have some of the best facial construction and animation I've ever seen! Course, I aint had the horse power, budget or inclination to grab more recent entertainment fare.

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 20th August 2020 21:15

--------------------
Post #216258
Posted: 24th August 2020 15:36

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I read enough of Adventure of a Lifetime to feel comfortable with giving it a review. This was important since it's a game (or technically a VN) that I got for free as a Steam curation request. Took me about a year to get around to doing it, heh.

It's actually a pretty good VN, so far. It's set in a real-life tropical island archipelago, the Ogasawara Islands, and it draws a lot upon its setting.

I've also played some 100% Orange Juice, as usual.

And sometime earlier I made a world in the alien ecosystem sim game Earthtongue. Populating it and getting species to persist is hard though.

But, I haven't been playing as much and I think I want to make a proper, comprehensive catalogue and archive of all my games first. I'm starting to switch to a different computer and so I want to know where all my saves are and properly document all the games I have before I make new progress that just makes things more complicated to document.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 24th August 2020 15:41

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216262
Posted: 25th August 2020 13:41

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Since I last posted here, I started and finished FF7R, and restarted the game in hard mode to pick up some additional collectibles and trophies. But I only got as far as chapter 4 because I finally got Stardew Valley for my daughter and I to play together, and that's been sucking up a ton of our time.

We also started Kingdom Hearts III, because I got it for $8 new a couple months back, but we don't play it for very long at a time because it frankly is an incomprehensible mess to our eyes and we are really only enjoying it insomuch as we get to meet new Disney characters every once in a while. tongue.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #216266
Posted: 26th August 2020 04:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 25th August 2020 07:41)
Since I last posted here, I started and finished FF7R, and restarted the game in hard mode to pick up some additional collectibles and trophies. But I only got as far as chapter 4 because I finally got Stardew Valley for my daughter and I to play together, and that's been sucking up a ton of our time.

We also started Kingdom Hearts III, because I got it for $8 new a couple months back, but we don't play it for very long at a time because it frankly is an incomprehensible mess to our eyes and we are really only enjoying it insomuch as we get to meet new Disney characters every once in a while. tongue.gif

That's so cool that you play games with your daughter. Enjoy Stardew Valley, it's a great game!

Kingdom Hearts III was rather polarizing. I loved it, but I don't think it was perfect, and I know plenty of people who disliked it. It doesn't help that the game makes reference to ALL its previous entries in the series, not just KH 1 & 2. Those who haven't played the full compilations like I did right before KH3 dropped will likely find the game confusing, alas.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #216267
Posted: 30th August 2020 02:38

Cactuar

Awards:
Fallout 4 has consumed my life for going on 6 months straight. I play with mods that make it constant nuclear winter, it only rains or snows, and the sun never shines. On survival mode. It’s insane. Night is almost pitch black, you really need your pipboy light to see. I have another mod that re-balances the entire game. A headshot kills human enemies and the player alike, more perks, a lot of balancing.

Ghost of Tsushima is also GOTY 2020 beyond any doubt.

--------------------
Post #216271
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: