CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FFIV music and gameplay underrated

Posted: 22nd May 2010 13:47

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
You know,i am sick of people looking down at ff4 and only worshipping ff6 and ff7 and ff8 nowadays.

They seem to forget what gaming was about in the past.

The music is brilliant for its time and i think it is even superior to most of ff7 music and ff8.

Only game that i find even close or better are:ff9 music which i like slightly more than ff4 music and ff6 which i consider the next best.

Don't get me wrong,there are some pieces i really like from ff7 like:shinra's theme and the min boss theme and even sephiroth's boss theme is really good.

FF8 for an example:I love man with a machine gun which is my all time favorite ff8 theme.

They got:The theme for when you are with irvine and are supposed to kill edea,that piece is good.

You got the main boss theme which is also really good.

And what about ff3 nes? people forget about that one too.

I don't see anybody bragging about the good pieces in ff3 which happen to be rather nice.

I like the town themes for ff3 nes the map theme boss theme and sylx one is nice too.

My point is:Give ff4 some credit people.

It is old but it is a very good game and sometimes it is very underrated by later gamers who lack appreciation because they are too jaded by pretty graphics and stupid pointless mini games.

In fact,in the old days mini games didn't even exist and you just had side quests and main mission and the games seemed better.

Sorry for the long rant post people but i am sure that some of you will agree with me,i just feel passionate about this subject.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185755
Posted: 22nd May 2010 18:05

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 22nd May 2010 09:47)
Sorry for the long rant post people but i am sure that some of you will agree with me,i just feel passionate about this subject.

Well, first off, I'm no mod, so you don't have to listen. But it wouldn't be so long if you didn't make one sentence paragraphs.

But I do have to agree with you about IV, but I don't think too many people disrespect it. I, for one, consider it one of the best games of the series. I preferred it over Chrono Trigger. Also, it's perhaps the most important game in the series for its innovation. It's storytelling influenced all other games in the series. The storytelling was a bit primitive, but that's because it was the first of its kind. There shouldn't be much FFIV hate.

--------------------
Post #185761
Posted: 22nd May 2010 18:45

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Thank you blitzsage for the understanding.

The problem,is people are too caught up on newer games and forget that the old ones are the ones that brought the series to what it was.Frankly,i think FFX is good,but ff4 had something that makes it special.

When people speak about music,they always mention dancing mad or one winged angel or man with a machinegun,rarely will they mention zeromus boss theme or battle with the four or the beautiful song tororian beauty.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 22nd May 2010 18:48

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185762
Posted: 23rd May 2010 21:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I must admit FF4 is very, very good. I just didn't like it as much as I liked, let's say, 3 or 8 or 9 or 10. Or 12, for that matter. Sure, it had some problems, but it was challenging (not too much though, which is good), fun to play, with its sense of humor and everything. The songs were decent too.

But I would rather play FF3 again. Apart from the plot, it's much better in every way. And difficulty.

--------------------
Snooping as usual, I see?
Post #185783
Posted: 24th May 2010 10:45

Cactuar

Awards:

Think that Final Fantasy IV does get credit but think that Final Fantasy V gets even less credit than IV and V has more haters than IV and it gets bashed so much more than IV does. IV gets little respect but Final Fantasy V gets none at all.
Final Fantasy IV is a brilliant game and it doesn't get as much as respect as it should though believe that there is a Final Fantasy that is struggling to gain respect even more than IV and gets less credit than Final Fantasy IV. Think that Final Fantasy IX is least liked more so than Final Fantasy IV because people think that it has anime and childish characters. Final Fantasy IV has Kain Highwind which many fans like and even wanted to be on Dissidia Final Fantasy V had Fairs but she still doesn't even save FF V from being abused and uncredited from FF fans, same with FFIX believe that FF has least credit and least respect compared to FFIV.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #185790
Posted: 24th May 2010 16:32

Crusader

Awards:
FF5 in my opinion had decent music but i still think ff4 had better musicwise and in character developement was better too.

ff5 did have better gameplay than ff4 and ff6.It is also true many people talk trash about ff5 and underrate it,but that will be left for ff5 area.

And ff6,ff7,ff8 and ff9 get more credit than ff4.

FF9 has a lot of mixed reviews.

Some hateful that underrate it downright,and others that put it on a pedestal.

ff9 can sometimes be severely underrated,but i think it is a good game.

As for ff8,i think it had some good pieces of music but they didn't catch my attention like the pieces from ff6 ff4 and ff9.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185794
Posted: 24th May 2010 18:22

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 24th May 2010 12:32)

FF8 doesn't get more credit than FF4. People hate FF8. Some people hate it with a passion. I would say that FF8 is way more underrated that FF4 is.

Honestly though, I used to feel like you do about FF6 as you do about FF4, that it is underrated and deserves more attention. So, I used to lash out at FF7 and Chrono Trigger because of it. But when you think about it, FF4 is not really underrated at all. FF4 is often considered one of the three best games in the series. There is a lot of praise for it, and most people consider it a classic.

--------------------
Post #185797
Posted: 24th May 2010 19:47

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (BlitzSage @ 24th May 2010 18:22)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 24th May 2010 12:32)

FF8 doesn't get more credit than FF4. People hate FF8. Some people hate it with a passion. I would say that FF8 is way more underrated that FF4 is.

Honestly though, I used to feel like you do about FF6 as you do about FF4, that it is underrated and deserves more attention. So, I used to lash out at FF7 and Chrono Trigger because of it. But when you think about it, FF4 is not really underrated at all. FF4 is often considered one of the three best games in the series. There is a lot of praise for it, and most people consider it a classic.

FF8 is still overrated.

The thing about ff8 though,it is a lot less overrated than ff7,the reason for this is because more people hate ff8 than love it,and the ones who love it brag about it and put it on a pedestal way above what it truly worth.

FF8 is actually almost not overrated at all,but the game is still slightly overrated.

FF7 started the same way ff8 started,except that it grew in popularity to star hood and attained a type of level of untouchable.This is really why ff7 is so overrated and looked down upon,when you think about it,ff7 didn't do much for the series except bring it into mainstream status and make games that were once looked upon as quality rpgs to a series that values looks and aesthetics over story gameplay and character development.FF7 is by no means the best ff or even best rpg by even a longshot,ff9 it is at most in 4th or 5th place behind ff9 ffx FF6 And maybe behind ff4.

This by all means doesn't mean that it is a terrible game or that it doesn't have its strong points,as i said in a earlier review,it does have good ideas for gameplay,like the combo materias for counter attacks.

Anyways,people are going to say its opinion even though tons of people will agree with me on the subject.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185798
Posted: 27th May 2010 02:16

Cactuar

Awards:
How can anyone say IV isn't a great game? Or has great music? The music was the best part!

Sorry, I get emotional about these things. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Smash Genesis on 27th May 2010 21:02

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #185824
Posted: 27th May 2010 17:25

Crusader

Awards:
Hi smash.

Careful with the swear words smash,i don't wish to be a party crasher but you might gain negative attention from a mod.

And i agree,but people are born in different times and the snes era is outdated and less and less people know about it.

A lot of the new kids are way too young to have even played the early snes games,another fact is that kids are too young and inexperienced.

It is somewhat like the difference between movies in my mother's era which were in black and white and with limited special effects,but they put maximum effort in making their movies more often.

Now you have more movies of lesser quality acting and script with tones of special effects and cgi and prolonged movies that used to be half an hour long and now are 2-3 hours long with extra footage that isn't even needed.

Kids also don't know what they like yet and seem jaded more often than they used to be.

Back in the 80's,there were no cut scenes and definitely no pretty 3d graphics.Back then,you had to take what you got,which a lot of times was 6-8 bit characters and simple paper thin stories that are told in 3 minutes.

those were the days where games were short,but were hard as they got,if you played a game that was really hard,you had to take it and try it over and over.
Back then,there were only guides and no internet for the public.

I think also,that if you gave a ancient console like a nes or snes,they might not appreciate it because they might be used to the game's presentations and might get aggravated.

I played some atari 2600 games and did like some,but found it hard to get accustomed to.There were a few games i tried,and some of the games i tried i liked enough to go back to,others i couldn't get into as much.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185830
Posted: 27th May 2010 21:09

Cactuar

Awards:
Right, but there was a reeeeeeally successful DS port, like two years ago. That's the game I played, actually. (Child Rydia had the WORST. VOICE. EVER.) I mean, I wasn't gaming in the SNES era, too, so I can't say if it's faithful to the original, but I do think it's a good entry point for the series.

I COMMAND EVERYONE WHO HASN'T BOUGHT IT TO DO SO THIS INSTANT OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!
(Just kidding about the consequences part. tongue.gif )

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #185832
Posted: 28th May 2010 15:16

Crusader

Awards:
I can tell you if it was faithful or not since i was around for sure.

There were things that were decent(like the voice acting for kain( and there were things that hurt the game(like the pink stripes in the dark armor for cecil) And then there is the fact that the characters are made to look younger.

This may be just because i am used to it,or it may actually be true and cecil looks too much like a kid.

For me,i would have liked it if he looked instead like a 30 year old man or something like that.Don't ask why,but i always used to think that cecil was a middle aged guy in a romance because of his whole attitude and maturity and responsibility.Some of it is the fact that he seemed very mature in how he dealt with everybody and respectful and even the way he treated rydia.

There was this energy in edge that you could tell that he was young,edge felt more like a 18 year old guy.

For me,these things do have impacts on the games themselves because they can lose their value of what made them special for those people.Another problem ff4 ds has,some of the mixes are actually very good,and others are not as good as the originals.I did actually like the ds version theme for towns as much or possibly more than the original,but i think some songs like tower of zot and babel are not as good remix versions.This is of course a opinion and some people might agree while others might like it.

BTW!! i was watching top 10 songs and the harder enemy theme was always listed in people's opinion at the top 5,this was delightful for me as it got the attention it deserves.

I saw tones of people with at least 1st 2nd or 3rd or 4th place favorite.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 28th May 2010 21:17

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185837
Posted: 11th June 2010 19:36

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Heh, actually I have a friend who swears that FFIV is the one that overrated. I was all, "uhh... what?" since when I think of games that have legions of followers, it's usually FFVI or FFVII.

The music is gorgeous quite possibly the best of the series, save for FFVI (where some real labor went into making that!). Old familiar FF tunes as well as new character pieces really make this score shine.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #185989
Posted: 11th June 2010 20:15

Lunarian

Awards:
Magitek, I'm glad you made this thread. FFIV has been my favorite for years. I've always enjoyed VI and VII, but I really do agree that IV is extremely underrated. I have never understood how it has seemed to get much less attention than the others. I suppose you could try to play it up to the lack of eye candy compared to VII, but then where does that leave it when compared to VI?

I'd like to hear from someone who doesn't like IV on this subject, actually. Maybe that can give us some insight on this matter.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #185994
Posted: 11th June 2010 20:31

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Kame @ 11th June 2010 15:36)
Heh, actually I have a friend who swears that FFIV is the one that overrated. I was all, "uhh... what?" since when I think of games that have legions of followers, it's usually FFVI or FFVII.

Exactly, those two games and Chrono Trigger. I would know, because I'm one of those people that constantly raves about FFVI, ans sometimes I think to myself, "Am I overrating the game?" But I rarely hear people even talk about FFIV, to MSlayer's main point of this topic.

What reasons, if any, does he give?

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 11th June 2010 20:32

--------------------
Post #186002
Posted: 11th July 2010 22:36

Crusader

Awards:
IF any game is massively overrated,its ff7.

It has a cult and they will kill you for saying another game is better.

FF6 fans are more toned down and they only really attack ff7.

FF9 is also somewhat overrated,but i'm glad it gets attention,because its also a decent game.

FF4:I SWEAR!! this game is a jewel

I consider ff4 to have one of the best if not best soundtrack in the series.

When i think of ff4,i think of tower of babel.

When i think of an airship theme, think of the lunar whale.

When i think of great castle themes,i always go to the song:the great king giott.

These 3 themes i listed are only a few out of many themes i love.

I don't know if its nostalgia,or if i'm trully right because i see so few people.

Let me know what you guys think

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #186556
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: