CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Your opinions on FFIV

Posted: 25th February 2009 11:00

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I'm interested in possibly buying Final Fantasy IV, but first I need opinions on it. Which is the better buy? The PSone, Snes or DS versions? (I have all three consoles at home which gives me quite a challenge X3) And is the story any good? I think thats the most important part. I love a game with a good plot.

Keep in mind i want this thread spoiler-free, as I have never played it smile.gif
Post #175780
Posted: 25th February 2009 11:38

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I think that the plot is one of the very best in the Final Fantasy series. It's easy to grow attached to the characters, and the twists and events that take place are among the most memorable in the series. One of my favorite video game storylines in general.

And you forget, there are FOUR English versions of FF IV - the SNES, PS1, GBA, and DS versions. The SNES is the easiest version (difficulty is toned down), but also has a goofy translation. The PS1 version has a few load times (nothing that bad) and translation changes but is otherwise very similar to the SNES version (difficulty is no longer toned down, either). The GBA version is the same as the PS1 version, except with a fully revamped translation and several bonus dungeons and features at the very end of the game. I had a lot of fun with those bonus features, personally. The DS version is a complete visual overhaul of the game, changing no story or characters, but delivering everything in a 3D engine interspersed with gorgeous FMVs and yet another new translation. There are also a few new features like dungeon maps, trading skills from character to character, and a few small extra sidequests. The new content from the GBA version is not present in the DS version.

Overall, I'd go for the GBA version. It has the oldschool visuals that I'm used to, plus the most raw content in the game with the two extra dungeons and more characters available. Remember, you can play GBA games on your DS.

--------------------
Post #175781
Posted: 25th February 2009 11:50

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I can't believe that you have alllllll those consoles and have never played FF4. It seems impossible.

I think I have to go with Lasz, honestly; while the SNES version remains tops in my book, I think that probably is really just because I played it first when I was like eleven and it was new. The GBA version has everything the SNES has, but with more content and portability. I remember the playability being a bit worse on PSX than Lasz does, I think, and the DS version, while cool, just never seemed quite "right" to me.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #175782
Posted: 25th February 2009 17:33
Onion Knight

Awards:
I'd go with the GBA version too, for the same reasons - old school graphics, extra content, and portability. Failing that I'd go with the SNES version, just for the nostalgia factor.
Post #175786
Posted: 26th February 2009 08:52

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I definately wouldn't go for the PS1 version.. overall parts of the setup and all that jazz were shocking. I'd recommend the GBA version too

--------------------
*Sigh*....Times are tough
Post #175796
Posted: 26th February 2009 21:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I played the SNES version (FF II) in the U.S..

It's a fun game to play around with.

I felt it was hard to become attached to the characters. It was easier in FFVI (FFIII) and FFV (RPGe translated SNES ROM). The "choppiness" (lack of "flow") of the events probably contributed to it. Hopefully this was fixed by FFIV DS or FFIV GBA having a better script.

The music is solid, though I wouldn't rank it as Uematsu's best. FFVI and FFVII definitely outclass it, but that doesn't mean that FFIV doesn't have its legendary sounds--the boss battle theme is among the best I've heard, for example.

One minor gameplay issue that I remember was the lack of visible time bars--you never really knew when characters were going to act, other than that there would likely be some sort of delay. Maybe there are time bars in the newer versions.

Also, in return for some of the more annoying things he did (and also due to his status as the highest-leveled party member), there was a certain satisfaction in loading state and killing Kain with the trapdoors. But you probably won't do that when you play, especially if you play on console.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 26th February 2009 21:08

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #175804
Posted: 27th February 2009 01:04

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I can't believe that you have alllllll those consoles and have never played FF4. It seems impossible.

No kidding!

I bought the GBA version AND the PSX version. I would personally suggest that you get the PSX version, Final Fantasy Chronicles, because it comes with Chrono Trigger (assuming you haven't played it yet). In addition, while I like the GBA for its travel function and added content, I just find it so much easier to get into a home console game.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #175808
Posted: 27th February 2009 05:37

Cactuar

Awards:

Haven't played the Game Boy Advanced version and/or the DS version so can't really say much. But played and enjoyed the SNES and PlayStation versions.

The PlayStation when flying around in the skies with the airship the graphics look a little chopped up [ like the PlayStation can't handle it ]

Apart from that the storyline and plot has improved and makes more sense than the SNES version [ like they explain more about Kain's past ]

If you want more of a challenge and don't mind a slower loading time the PlayStation would be alright to get, otherwise would say get the GBA or DS.

The GBA and DS versions would probably have the most improvement on storyline detail, characters, graphics, and the game music.

Or you could close your eyes and just point randomly at one version of Final Fantasy IV, sometimes doing things out of total luck and accident works better.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #175810
Posted: 27th February 2009 14:58

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Death Penalty @ 27th February 2009 01:04)
I bought the GBA version AND the PSX version. I would personally suggest that you get the PSX version, Final Fantasy Chronicles, because it comes with Chrono Trigger (assuming you haven't played it yet). In addition, while I like the GBA for its travel function and added content, I just find it so much easier to get into a home console game.

Well, that can easily be solved by a Gamecube+Gameboy Player, that way you have a console game that becomes portable whenever you want.

If you’re going for the plot, I’ll recommend the DS version, just for the extra scenes. Also I felt the trough bubbles added something to the characters.

On the other hand the others have this 2D “charm”. I haven’t played the GBA version, but apart of the extra stuff I heard it’s kind of glitchy.

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #175814
Posted: 8th March 2009 14:06

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Sandyboots @ 27th February 2009 14:58)
I haven’t played the GBA version, but apart of the extra stuff I heard it’s kind of glitchy.

Granted they are. It's possible to cheat (getting a quick free turn) with their laggy ATB gauge in battle. It really isn't an improvement over the original, but I like watching the bars fill up so I can know who's next (even though that's not always the case with this one, since again, you can get free turns instantly at times).

It was an ok release of a great, great game. But atleast it had more features than FF2us by returning the elements from FF4 Hard Type and as usual of Square's re-releases to add more content to it to give gamers a reason to cash out on the game.

~AngelWtich666~

--------------------
I've been locked away for all these years
Now I can see the light of day
Things have changed a lot since I was last out here
I guess that's the way things, way things go
Post #176002
Posted: 11th May 2009 21:40

Engineer

Awards:
great story, but minimal replay value. I also didnt like the fact that in the original that you couldnt choose different characters, but oh well.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #177328
Posted: 23rd June 2009 23:29

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (?????_UknownTrainGhost @ 11th May 2009 21:40)
great story, but minimal replay value. I also didnt like the fact that in the original that you couldnt choose different characters, but oh well.

I dunno i mean kain's story seemed good in ff4.

I never played gba version so i don't know,it looks good.

I do not like the 3d graphics they gave cecil in the ds version.They make cecil look like a little kid,and for some reason the colours of his hair and his face posture in a 2 bit 2d world make him seem older.The whole thing gave their characters a look and personality wich both made them legendary.

And soundtrack not good? are you insane?

All the pieces are great in ff4

I loved them.

The moon piece,cave piece the music for dwarf town the battle song for tough bosses and then of course crystal room song wich is beutifull.

Ff4 is the game with the most amount of songs i love.

Another thing.i got the psx version and i don't notice any choppyness.Then again i wasn't looking for it either,but i do notice the dificulty and bosses that never used to be hard for me are now pretty hard in the last dungeon.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 23rd June 2009 23:32

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #178502
Posted: 30th June 2009 19:07

Cactuar

Awards:
I have it on GBA emulator and have played at a friend on the SNES and PS1 (don't ask me why he got it for the PS1 and SNES) and the GBA seems best

--------------------
Since I advertise CoN there I think it's only fair that I advertise The Wiki here.
Post #178819
Posted: 25th July 2009 04:35

Returner

Awards:
The GBA version is the best of the lot. The European version has the bugs of the NA version fixed. I have no idea how you'd (legitimately) get ahold of a copy. Ebay, I guess.
Post #179733
Posted: 3rd August 2009 17:04

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Eddie Lukin @ 25th July 2009 04:35)
The GBA version is the best of the lot. The European version has the bugs of the NA version fixed. I have no idea how you'd (legitimately) get ahold of a copy. Ebay, I guess.

Hmm i would go for the gba version as it will be fully translated well then,plus has new dungeons and dificulty.

I wish they would make a version of gba for a big screen.

Thing is,i don't really like looking downwards towards the psp or gb screen,its uncomfortable.

I would also like to point out something:

I dislike the 3d graphics the designers gave ffIV,they took away the complexity of the characters that gave them a sort of special touch.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 3rd August 2009 17:13

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #180159
Posted: 3rd August 2009 17:40

Onion Knight

Awards:
Let me just say this (and this is entirely my own opinion)

My favorite Final Fantasy is VI, hands down. But if they were to make a movie out of the FF franchise, I would want it to be of IV. (VI can get a series!)

True to its awkward North American release name, it was the second FF I played (after having played the original to death) and I was blown away. The graphics and music were astounding, and it actually had characters and a plot!

The plot might seem a tad trite nowadays (though it's nowhere near as bad as V. No offense to anyone that likes V, I don't hate it, but the plot is sooooo reahashed) but it does have some powerful moments.

Having never played the DS remake I recommend the GBA version. It has some enhanced graphics and mechanics that make it a bit more palatable, and it has a few extra features the original does not.

All in all, I don't know how profound you'll find it, but it's a solid game and everything Final Fantasy is supposed to be.

--------------------
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get worried about it!
Post #180161
Posted: 4th August 2009 06:26

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Doughboyjones @ 3rd August 2009 17:40)
Let me just say this (and this is entirely my own opinion)

My favorite Final Fantasy is VI, hands down. But if they were to make a movie out of the FF franchise, I would want it to be of IV. (VI can get a series!)

True to its awkward North American release name, it was the second FF I played (after having played the original to death) and I was blown away. The graphics and music were astounding, and it actually had characters and a plot!

The plot might seem a tad trite nowadays (though it's nowhere near as bad as V. No offense to anyone that likes V, I don't hate it, but the plot is sooooo reahashed) but it does have some powerful moments.

Having never played the DS remake I recommend the GBA version. It has some enhanced graphics and mechanics that make it a bit more palatable, and it has a few extra features the original does not.

All in all, I don't know how profound you'll find it, but it's a solid game and everything Final Fantasy is supposed to be.

Actually i enjoyed ffIV

I found that it was the father of drama rpgs in the ff series.

It was dramatic but not romantic.

I did not care for ffVIII's romance as i'm not big on romance in videogames and in ffVIII i find it a bit predictable.

Although i do admit something,ff5 characters are not as strong as the ff4's characters and there is something of sorts that kind of pulls you in with the characters.

The drama doesn't hinder ffIV as it seems to actually add to the game something,it is the first and only ff that i know that can be considered a tragedy.(well i'm not going to spoil it)

Also,somehow the stripes of colours in cecils hair adds contrast to his character.

The colours of his hair and the pose and everything make him seem less youthful.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 4th August 2009 06:32

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #180177
Posted: 4th August 2009 11:25

Onion Knight

Awards:
Wait a sec...I never said I didn't like it.

--------------------
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get worried about it!
Post #180183
Posted: 4th August 2009 21:20

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Zephyrsword @ 25th February 2009 06:00)
I'm interested in possibly buying Final Fantasy IV, but first I need opinions on it. Which is the better buy? The PSone, Snes or DS versions? (I have all three consoles at home which gives me quite a challenge X3) And is the story any good? I think thats the most important part. I love a game with a good plot.

Keep in mind i want this thread spoiler-free, as I have never played it smile.gif

This is a tough question, and many answers are going to be objective.

The PlayStation port is basically the original SNES version, but it is the "hard" version that Japan originally got. The original NA release dummied out a lot of items and abilities, but they are all there for the PS version.

The GBA version has slightly better graphics, and you have a choice in characters at the end, as well as the (fairly awesome) bonus dungeons.

The DS version has the 3d graphics, voice acting, and expanded storyline, as well as ramping up the difficulty of some bosses. You cannot choose characters at the end, but you get the augment system.

In my opinion, the GBA version is the "best" version, but it is clear that they wanted the DS one to be the "definitive" version.
Post #180188
Posted: 11th August 2009 16:07

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I've only played the SNES version and Japanese SNES/Super Famicom on ROM with a translation (J2E).

I think it's a great game, but the original SNES version is much easier and explains a little less.

The GBA and DS versions seem to be promising, but I've never played them.
Post #180311
Posted: 12th August 2009 19:35

Onion Knight

Awards:
Three magical words: Best game ever.
Post #180354
Posted: 16th August 2009 23:34

Returner

This is probably the game i've played on the most systems now that i think about it and in my opinion the GBA one was the best for the extra Espers and Dungeons. The DS was good aswell for the voice acting and great graphics. FF4 is just a great game whatever system you play it on.
Post #180437
Posted: 22nd August 2009 09:21

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (The Webspinner @ 16th August 2009 23:34)
This is probably the game i've played on the most systems now that i think about it and in my opinion the GBA one was the best for the extra Espers and Dungeons

Uh... Define Extra Espers?
DO you mean the boss fights with the Eidolons in the Lunar Ruins?
Post #180592
Posted: 9th March 2010 21:07

Returner

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 25th February 2009 11:38)
I think that the plot is one of the very best in the Final Fantasy series. It's easy to grow attached to the characters, and the twists and events that take place are among the most memorable in the series. One of my favorite video game storylines in general.

And you forget, there are FOUR English versions of FF IV - the SNES, PS1, GBA, and DS versions. The SNES is the easiest version (difficulty is toned down), but also has a goofy translation. The PS1 version has a few load times (nothing that bad) and translation changes but is otherwise very similar to the SNES version (difficulty is no longer toned down, either). The GBA version is the same as the PS1 version, except with a fully revamped translation and several bonus dungeons and features at the very end of the game. I had a lot of fun with those bonus features, personally. The DS version is a complete visual overhaul of the game, changing no story or characters, but delivering everything in a 3D engine interspersed with gorgeous FMVs and yet another new translation. There are also a few new features like dungeon maps, trading skills from character to character, and a few small extra sidequests. The new content from the GBA version is not present in the DS version.

Overall, I'd go for the GBA version. It has the oldschool visuals that I'm used to, plus the most raw content in the game with the two extra dungeons and more characters available. Remember, you can play GBA games on your DS.

A much better version of what I would've said. xD

Despite all of this, the end-game fight is not what I was expecting at all (In a bad way :/ ). It was too easy. But as Laszlow said, it may have been because of the simplicity of the SNES version. Ah well; it was satisfying to play on a retro console. smile.gif
Post #184213
Posted: 13th March 2010 17:16

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The SNES version is what made me give the series a second chance after having rather poor personal experiences "Final Fantasy Adventure". I haven't tried any of the others but my experience with FF VI on the SNES vs. Playstation probably wouldn't be too far of a stretch to extrapolate this one thing upon: The Playstation's sound will suck in comparison. [By necessity, the GBA version would too, if not only due to hardware limitations.] While I tend to love very many of the Final Fantasy standard boss themes, Fight 2 is easily my favorite in the whole series. Apparently Square liked the piece quite a bit too since they referentially reused it in a certain game's secret.

Since I only have experience with one version, the rest of what I'd say would be personal spins of stuff I've heard at various Final Fantasy fan-sites (especially here) and comments on screenshots. Very likely a waste of time for anybody who'd read the above posts. If you haven't made it already, good luck in making the choice that best suits you.

--------------------
Post #184263
Posted: 14th March 2010 01:29

Engineer

Awards:
In my old age, I've come to realize that the plot is fairly ridiculous, but it only matters if you don't get too lucid.

However...man, this game is so much of my childhood...I still remember running to the video store after finishing 5th grade to get a copy of the game. Having previously grown up with the likes of Zelda II and Dragon Warrior (and Final Fantasy I), FFIV was such a radical improvement on, well, everything that mattered to me in a video game. I'm still overcome with nostalgia when I think about Cecil and Rydia grinding levels outside of Kaipo...

Yeah, this game's in my top 5 greatest games ever, easy. There are few that are better (Actually, I can think of 3 off the top of my head).

This post has been edited by trismegistus on 14th March 2010 01:31

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #184269
Posted: 5th April 2010 01:01

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Almost twenty years since I've first played this game, I still love it. While I'll admit the plot has been done to death now, but at the time it was a fresh, new concept. I think it's aged well, and the ports, have introduced new audiences to this game that might not have played it the first time around.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #184847
Posted: 3rd May 2010 07:37

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (trismegistus @ 14th March 2010 01:29)
In my old age, I've come to realize that the plot is fairly ridiculous, but it only matters if you don't get too lucid.

The game itself is with its flaws like all good rpgs.

It is when they are not admitted like the ff7 fanboys in which you cannot be totally objective.

even ff6 which i consider the best final fantasy game has its flaws.

Back to ff4:The problem with ff4 is that you don't get to see zeromus much at all and by the time you do,he doesn't say hardly anything.

He has a few dialogue sequences and then he says that his hatred has turned him into zeromus through ill wish and hate.

He is pretty much as much personality as lavos or jenova for me.

Also the moon thing being a son of a lunarian did kind of sound like something from a cheesy science fiction movie.

But hey,its still a cool game.

I still think that cecil's struggle with his past and the rest of the dialogue is pretty good.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185381
Posted: 6th May 2010 01:23

Cactuar

Awards:
Great game, horrible story.

Just like Chrono Trigger.

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #185413
Posted: 6th May 2010 01:37

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Smash Genesis @ 5th May 2010 21:23)
Great game, horrible story.

Just like Chrono Trigger.

Not entirely. Final Fantay IV was an innovative game, storywise. Without it's innovation, the deep storylines shown in later games (not just FF) would not have occured.

Also, since RPGs are within themselves story-driven games, how can its story be horrible and it still be a great game?

--------------------
Post #185415
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: