CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Rank the Characters by usefulness

Posted: 19th September 2008 17:26

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Okay, so we all know that on Final Fantasy 4 Advanced, you can change party members at the end. What i want to know is how you would rank each character based upon how useful they were for you in the end of the game and what they did that was useful for you. Heres how I would rank them...
1.Edge (throwing Fuma Shurikens)
2.Cecil (attacks)
3.Rydia (bahamut and meteor)
4.Rosa (Curaja)
5.Kain(jump)
6.the twins(high level magic)
7.Cid(strength)
8.Edward(unsure)
9.Cid(attacks)

This post has been edited by Cactuar1 on 20th September 2008 02:56

--------------------
A creature born from eternal darkness and heavenly light. One single entity, birthed of two opposites. They somehow coexist, to create I, the Lunarian Prince...
Post #172272
Posted: 19th September 2008 18:25

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Hm, we're only talking FF IV Advance and not DS? I'm game.

1. Cecil - excellent weapon selection and damage, huge HP and good D for the second-best survivability in the game, cover, backup/menu healing, and generally great stats all around. It's not exactly a chore that he can never leave your party.

2. Kain - terrific offense with the Abel Lance, solid D, and Jump make him the hardest-to-kill party member, period. Having him around as a physical presence is just excellent in general.

3. Rosa - great healer, with much better physical offense and HP than Porom. It's pretty much absolutely necessary to have one healer around, so they're both up there in the usefulness department.

4. Porom - better Spirit than Rosa, and she learns spells faster and has slightly better endgame armor to boot (especially if you give her a Hero Shield). Her bad HP, glitched Nirvana, and need to have her brother around to live up to her full potential put her a notch below Rosa.

5. Rydia - Bahamut makes her the best nuker in the game, and her final set of equipment is absolutely awesome. The only problem is her awful HP, but Cover and her great equipment remedy that a bit.

6. Edge - his ridiculous Agility, powerful weapons with back row potential, and ability to throw Fuma Shurikens make him a physical powerhouse that gets better and better as the postgame keeps going.

7. Yang - he's great in the Path to the Core, but later on his usefulness diminishes. His HP cap, limited Battle Power (thanks to his claw weapons), and only so-so equipment put him a step below Edge. But still, it's hard to knock his consistently solid damage, good Agility, and general badassery.

8. Edward - his endgame equipment and skills are some of the very best around (the new harps, the Vishnu Vest, and Chant all kick ass), and he has good Agility to boot. However, his bad HP and need to use both hands on a harp (thus lacking a Hero Shield) really set him back.

9. Palom - he has the highest Intellect in the game, and he learns all the black magic spells early on, but his equipment selection isn't as good as that of other characters. He has one of the lowest HP values in the game, and doesn't have Rydia's Mist Ring or good equipment to balance that out. Plus, if you use him you really also ought to use Porom, which can be a little annoying if you're a Rosa fan.

10. Cid - he has enormous HP, Strength, and Vitality, and is at or near the top in all of those for your playable characters. However, his best weapons all require two hands (so no Hero's Shield), and his equipment selection is awful, with barely any magic or elemental D. His damage is good, but not as good as it could be since his Intellect is so low, bring Flare's damage down on his best hammer. Cid is best used as an attacking tank, but his bad speed, lack of a shield, and bad equipment put him at the very bottom of the list, especially at the very-endgame. Sorry, dood.

But honestly, I'm making all of these rankings, but any party can be pretty good as long as one of the healers is around. Zeromus EG is definitely beatable even with the "worst" team of Cecil, Yang, Edward, Palom, and Cid. I still wouldn't try that, because the harder areas are almost suicide if you don't have one of the two healers.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 19th September 2008 18:39

--------------------
Post #172273
Posted: 20th September 2008 03:07

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
But honestly, I'm making all of these rankings, but any party can be pretty good as long as one of the healers is around. Zeromus EG is definitely beatable even with the "worst" team of Cecil, Yang, Edward, Palom, and Cid. I still wouldn't try that, because the harder areas are almost suicide if you don't have one of the two healers.

That party I would NEVER use!!!

--------------------
A creature born from eternal darkness and heavenly light. One single entity, birthed of two opposites. They somehow coexist, to create I, the Lunarian Prince...
Post #172280
Posted: 2nd October 2008 20:40

Black Mage

Awards:
If you include FFDS, you could put Edge pretty high, due to the "Throw while Hidden" glitch.
Post #172458
Posted: 17th October 2008 00:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
In DS, I found Rosa to be almost ridiculously vital. Artemis bow and arrows, plus a Minerva Bustier had her dealing damage comprable to Edge or Kain, plus with omnicasting, Blink and Haste became incredible spells.

--------------------
I hear the jury's still out on...science.

That's it, you people have stood in my way long enough! I'm going to clown college!
Post #172698
Posted: 3rd November 2008 19:54

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
If you include FFDS, you could put Edge pretty high, due to the "Throw while Hidden" glitch.

I had never heard of this glitch. Can you explain how to perform such a thing?

--------------------
Post #172980
Posted: 6th December 2008 01:53

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
well,this is who I would rank per usefulness:
1.edge, he's a ninja, obviously cool.gif
2.FuSoYa, while late, he is a powerful ally
3.rydia, SUMMONS!!!
4.kain,he jumps happy.gif
5.porom,she is a good white mage
6.cecil,another white magic user
7.rosa,yet another wm, but she always seems to bite the dust blush.gif
8.edward.good for early on, not as of late sleep.gif
9.cid, strong yet bland
& finally...
10.palom. never bothered to use him blush.gif
thats my list
(P.S. I'm not dead, well, not yet anyways)
Post #173703
Posted: 13th December 2008 00:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Hrm....it's been awhile since I played the GBA version, but I shall try my best.

10. Cid. His stats would lead you to believe he was either a tank or a melee fighter. Because of his equipment and also lame abilities, he comes out as not doing what he was designed to do as well as others.

9. Palom. Rydia has Summons, which makes her innately better, IMO. Twincast isn't exactly a rocking ability anyway.

8. Yang. He's great in the main game, but he loses something late game. He takes major hits of damage and doesn't seem to deliver damage to the enemies as well as others. Also, there aren't groups of weak enemies, so Kick is less useful.

7. Edward. He's probably my favorite character in the game, but he just doesn't make it to top tier in the endgame. Insanely fast, Chant is useful, but he takes lots of damage and his harp doesn't do as much as other characters.

6. Kain. Um...I never really thought he was very useful, really. He can only Attack for similar damage to Cecil or Edge or Jump. Jumping makes it hard to cure and buff him, so I don't like it.

5. Rydia. Reflect nullifies her, and she has monster casting times and MP costs. Yeah, hitting a weakness is nice, but there were times when she was sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

4. Porom. She's a great White Mage. Rosa has Pray (and it's upgraded form, later) and Aim, though, whereas Porom can...whack things with her staff. Still, crazy great on the healz.

3. Edge. He's really fragile. I don't like spending lots of money on Shurikens. However, he's super fast and does good damage, plus he can Throw things in a pinch and Steal that ever-important Dark Matter.

2. Cecil. Great damage, Lightbringer can get him doing 9999x2, nigh unkillable, and has White Magic.

1. Rosa. She keeps the party alive, and when she isn't needed she can pelt thing with sticks.
Post #173848
Posted: 8th January 2009 13:36

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
(1) Kain - Jump > All
(2) Porom- Much better healer than Rosa
(3) Cecil- High Offense/defense
(4) Rydia- Summons are faster than black magic
(5) Palom- Very high damage rates
(6) Edge- Throw and 2 swords
(7) Cid- Highest HP. Total horse.
(8)Yang- Too weak physically. No good armor.
(9)Rosa- Not half the mage Porom is. Why would I care about anything but HighSpirit? By end game I so seldom have her launch arrows that Porom is the better W.Mage by far.
(10) Edward- stay at home, bard.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #174610
Posted: 9th January 2009 05:00

Onion Knight

Awards:
FF4 has great set of characters. Only some of them really blow.

1: Cecil - excellent attk/def with useless W. spells
2: Kain - just go ahead and jump
3: Cid - my beard's on this mf-er for highest HP
4: Edge - idiot with awesome spells & 2-sword attack
5: Rosa - best healer any player will ever have, lucky her
6: Rydia - summons the ally beasts from the darkness
7: Yang - great, till ultra crap HP growth, really, ultra crap
8: Porom - a filler healer if i needed another one
9: Palom - Rydia has more spells earlier anyway
10: Edward - only useful for putting Baron soldiers to sleep at Fabul Castle

~AngelWitch666~

--------------------
I've been locked away for all these years
Now I can see the light of day
Things have changed a lot since I was last out here
I guess that's the way things, way things go
Post #174635
Posted: 9th January 2009 12:09

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Cecil > Attack/Defence
Rydia > Summons + Black Magic
Kain > Jump obviously
Edge > Throw/Katanas
Rosa > Healer
Edward > Chant
Porom > Healer but not as good as Rosa
Palom > Black Magic isnt as good as Rydia's
Cid > Meat Shield
Yang > Kick is terrible

In That Order.
Post #174638
Posted: 12th February 2009 18:39

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cactuar1 @ 3rd November 2008 19:54)

I had never heard of this glitch. Can you explain how to perform such a thing?

Well, I gave Edward's "Hide" ability to Edge, and I was able to use Throw while hiding. It was great. biggrin.gif
Post #175370
Posted: 12th February 2009 19:41
Returner

Well, speaking from the DS:

Cecil is the best tank ever, in any game. Draw Attacks, Counter: Attack/Kick. From there he could just spend his entire time defending and dealing damage every time he's hit, or attacking to really massacre the enemy group. Absolutely amazing.

Kain: Focus ---> Jump combo, anyone? Also, I gave him the Phoenix ability. Since he never casts anything and since he avoids so many attacks due to Jump, I've had several times where my party has died and he lived. When he died, he had full MP and revived my entire group to full. VERY useful.

Rydia: Forgot what I had with her, but I remember Fast Talker. Good stuff to mitigate her long casting time.

Rosa: Best whitemage ever. Omni-casting is win. Double-casting is win. Both together? Amazing.

Edge: Double attacks and the occasional throw is all I really used him for. Sometimes I'd Berserk him.

Of course, these aren't ranked in any specific order. Just my thoughts on a great game.
Post #175374
Posted: 14th February 2009 03:16

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
For the record, I've only played FF2 US (SNES). And there's a slight possibility I'm influenced by how fun it is to play each character. And yes, I'm basing this mostly off the character's unique skills. I don't care much for equipment, or at least the game didn't really make me care much about it; all I did was buy the best stuff and equip it.

You may want to read this list in backwards order, since I kinda wrote it that way and am too lazy to reverse it myself.

1. Rosa: even though she doesn't have as great physical stats as Cecil, she is invaluable to the party as a healer. Imagine if you couldn't cast Cure4 every time Zeromus threw Big Bang at you?
2. Cecil: tons of HP, great defense (assuming you equip him correctly), awesome attack power, and some backup healing magic to boot.
3. Rydia: a fully-grown and (high-leveled) Rydia still can't take much, but she can sure dish it out. Bahamut-spam is recommended.
4. Edge: nearly as weak as Rydia, and has less magic, but has more HP and defense and can steal (Sneak) nice items.
5. FuSoYa: access to full repertoires of White and Black magic, even though he's limited to 190 MP (just don't waste time and MP casting Meteo). His other skill is basically useless, as it effectively takes him out of the party as the price for casting Regen on everyone else.
6. Porom: white mage can do damage-dealing spells and healing spells; useful when dealing with zombies and getting up the mountain. Also, Twin is kinda useful and kinda fun.
7. Palom: black mage can do damage-dealing spells; useful when dealing with zombies. Also, Twin is kinda useful and kinda fun.
8. Edward: annoying "spoony bard" hides all the time and easily gets to low HP, but at least, when you get him early in the game, he can actually hit stuff, unlike Tellah or Rydia, adding to your damage engine significantly. Also, Sing can occasionally help with crowd control, and his healing ability is mildly useful.
9. Kain: Jump deals twice damage in twice time, like Yang's Buildup, but at least has the added benefit of making Kain immune to attacks for one turn. Other than that, not particularly useful.
10. Yang: Kick deals minimal damage sadly, and Buildup isn't worth the time--all you do is deal twice damage, and this isn't strategically useful except against the Behemoths late in the game which only counterattack. (And against the very annoyingly message-spamming Trickers, where you want to end the battle ASAP.)
11. DK Cecil: can fight and may have Darkwave command, depending on your version. But Darkwave sucks...your HP, literally.
12. Cid: only has fight command, other than the near-useless Peep.
13. Tellah: can't hit anything, doesn't have too much HP, and is limited to 90 MP, but at least has access to both Black and White spells.
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Child Rydia: can't hit anything and is way weak. Access to basic Black and White spells, as well as the Chocobo summon, don't really add much.

Golbez: least useful due to lack of presence in your controllable party. But at least he has a cool battle sprite!

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 14th February 2009 03:17

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokιmon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #175431
Posted: 26th March 2009 19:46

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Heres personally how i rank them, 10 being the worst of the bunch.

1-Edge: Two hits katanas plus Murasame/Masamune combo hits for over 9000! Plus, he can throw Fuma, which rocks all other attacks

2-Yang: Same two hits style as Edge, but kick not quite so useful as throw or Edge's ninja attaks [ especially in the DS version smile.gif ]

3-Cecil: With the Hero's Shield and Adamant Armor [still havent gotten that yet] is a BEAST, especially when equipped with Excalibur as his weapon at the end. He just has great physical stats and can attack with the best of em'

4-Rydia: Has Summon Ability, and near the end of the game with Asura, Bahamut, and Leviathan can be a LIFESAVER in desperate times. Has Fair Black Magic, but takes a bit to learn ALL the spells.

5-Rosa: Like Rydia, can be a lifesaver later in the game once she has leveled up. She is invaluable with her healing spells and actually Holy [White for those english version players] can help quite a bit as far as I've used it.

6-Kain: With his Holy Lance and Jump ability, i tend to switch him out when he surpasses Yang simply in level and physical stats, plus his jump is good to use against certain side-bosses
[Odin, Plague, etc]

7-Porom: Early on, the white mage can harm zombies, which appear more than later. Twin however, becomes more of a hassle to use than useful, since it can take forever and is not as good as Yang's Buildup or Kain's Jump.

8-Palom: Black mage like white mage has full spell access (mostly), but doesnt deal as much to zombies.

9-Edward: Very Split on Edward, since in FFIV DS he is actually VERY useful and his slave does a lot more than in past versions. Also, his attacks deal more damage than in past versions, so it depends on what version we're playing for him. If in FFIVAd, he would be here simply for these non-enhanced reasons.

10-Cid: Although being quite the battletank with hammers, they are two-handed (as previously mentioned) meaning no Hero's shield. I use him the least simply since he can only attack as his major option.

--------------------
<DrkMagimaster282> MWAHAHA. I,
DrkMagimaster282, shall wreak havoc and destroy...
<Mother>TIIIIIIMMYYY...are you planning evil, unkind revenge again in the bathroom??
<DrkMagimaster282>UMMMMMMMM...NO.

CoN day is May 27th, 2005
Join elder-geek.com for unbiased reviews, no console wars here...
Post #176292
Posted: 27th March 2009 23:25

Black Mage

Awards:
Here's my list. Only played the DS version, but didn't mess around with the augments.

1.Rosa – Everyone can ditch out damage but not everyone can heal. [Well, Cecil can, but Rosa hits harder than what he can heal]. All the party needs her to stay alive, so she's number one for me.
2.Cecil – He's in the party all the time, solid damage and side healing.
3.Rydia – Summons saved my life plenty of times.
4.Kain – Good offense and defense. Jumpity, jump.
5.Edge – Speedy and decent damage. My personal favorite. But the truth is frail ninja is frail.
6.Parom – Because she's the healer when Rosa isn't around.
7.Yang – Good character, multy-target physical.
8.Palom – Black magic for when Rydia isn't around.
9.Edward – Solid support character.
10.Tellah – He's not that good later, but it served his purpose at the beginning.
11.Cid – He helped... a little.
12.Fusoya – I heard he's supposed to be kick-ass in the other versions, but in the DS one, meeeh.

When I get around playing the Advance version my final party is going to be: Cecil of course, Parom, Palom, Edge and Edward, just because I feel like it.

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #176337
Posted: 9th March 2010 21:14

Returner

Awards:
1. Cecil
2. Rosa
3. Rydia
4. Kain
5. Porom
6. Yang
7. Palom
8. Edge
9. Edward
10. Cid

Purely opinionated based on their effectiveness while under my control. smile.gif
Post #184214
Posted: 1st June 2010 05:53

Onion Knight

Awards:
heres my list been a while since ive played so ya

1 cecil he covers and has great armor and damage plus hes AWESOME shifty.gif

2 egde hes a ninja that can
throw a spoon
for 9999 damage that is badass

3rosa if you dont have a healer your gona get nowhere

4 ryida id i didnt have my summons with me who would fight my battles for me wacko.gif

5kain it may be just me but jump really helped me out
when i fought gobez first time i really needed 1 party member alive and his jumped helped

6yang HEEEEEEEE YA

7cid i liked to be informed of my enemies hp

8 fusoya he sould of stayed in the team a little longer

9tellah he saved my skin plenty of times

10palom \porom ehh they should be on the list

11 edward . . . HE HAD THE ABILITY TO HIDE CMON PEOPLE SERIOUSLY

--------------------
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=14]BLAMO

you have been ninjad
Post #185875
Posted: 13th June 2010 01:09

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
1) Porom...What? dry.gif

2) Rydia

3) Cecil

4) Edward

5) Rosa

6) Palom

7) Edge

8) Cid

9) Yang

10) Kain

--------------------
The meaning of life is life itself.

We were put on this earth to follow our dreams unabated.
Post #186042
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: