CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Must play new game!

Posted: 17th September 2002 00:50

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I must play something. I'm dying here. I have to play a good RPG, old or new. Most likely a Square RPG, since 99% of Square RPGs I've played have been great, but feel free to add some other game if you wish. Just write down some worthy games, and convince me that I should play this game, especially if it's a game I've beaten before and am not in the mood play again. So please, WHAT CAN I PLAY?? Thank you for wasting your time.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #2456
Posted: 17th September 2002 02:07

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Super Mario RPG : The Legend of the Seven Stars! If you haven't played this game, YOU NEED TO. And it IS a Square game!  ^_^
Post #2458
Posted: 17th September 2002 04:38

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Tales of Destiny 2 - Last GREAT PS1 RPG
Star Ocean 2 - COMPLETELY OWNZ
Wild ARMs 2 - Gameplay is nearly unmatched.
Suikoden 2 - BEST. GAME. EVER.
Suikoden - It spawned Suikoden 2. PLAY.
Post #2464
Posted: 17th September 2002 05:11
Engineer

Awards:
Breath of Fire 1 or 2

Xenogears

Dragon Warrior 3 (on gameboy color, NES graphics suck)

Pokemon (pick a color, just make sure your playing the real games and not the crap Nintendo keeps pumping out to suck money from the kiddies.  No Pokemon stadium, or arena battle, or midnight orgy, just freaking blue, silver, ruby, or some other color.)

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #2466
Posted: 17th September 2002 13:44
Onion Knight

Awards:
Even though i havent played it myself, i would suggest getting Valcary(so i cant spell) Profile!  I saw it in the store about last Christmas time and it didnt look all too interesting then, but then i saw somethin for it on tv...you're supposed to be able to "come down from heaven" or something like that and collect tons of playable characters throughout history...i guess u look for the greatest of the greats and recruit them to save the world...i beleive it was only one disk for the PS1 so it might not be all too long, but i still suggest it....and if u do deside on this one, let me know how it turns out ;)

--------------------
First you live
And then you die
So **** the world
LETS GET HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Yours truly~
Post #2471
Posted: 17th September 2002 19:21

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Valkyrie (don't worry, it's tough) Profile is a good game, for anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.  Basically, you're a valkyrie named Lenneth.  Anyone familiar with Norse mythology (don't all raise your hands at once ;) ) would know that a valkyrie's job was to take the souls of dead warriors and heroes to the afterlife.  VP puts an interesting twist on this, as Lenneth's job is to recruit the souls of famous fighters to aid in the Ragnarok (sound familiar?), the ultimate battle between good and evil at the end of time.  There's a huge cast of characters as a result, and as such character development isn't always the greatest.  However, they do an absolutely superb  job of characterizing the major players, like the necromancer Lezard.  And there's a unique feeling of tragedy in knowing that all of your party members are, in fact, dead, especially because their deaths were mostly very sad (or at least macabre).  Â The gameplay is good, and the graphics, while sprite-based, are pretty impressive.  The concept art is great, too.  All in all, VP is a fine choice, and oft overlooked.

Another fine line of products is the Breath of Fire series.  Though somewhat overshadowed by the Chronos and Final Fantasies of the world (not to take anything away from these great series), BoF is a serious contender.  Despite having a mute hero, they manage to redeem themselves with great storylines and characterization on the other party members.  Breath of Fires 1 and 2 are currently out on the Game Boy Advance, and Breath of Fires 3 and 4 came out a little while ago on Playstation.  It may take some looking for the last two, particularly 3, considering their age.  Still, it's always worth a shot.

If you're looking for unique challenge that's far from ordinary, go ahead and sample to Phantasy Star series (not to be confused with the better-known Phantasy Star Online).  By living its life on Sega systems, it has been sorely overlooked, despite its cunning originality and unique plot elements.  It one-ups the competition by being set in the future.  The gameplay is really nothing too new, but the plot and characterizations are consistently fantastic.  Really, all of the Phantasy Stars are great.  If you're a cutting-edge kind of gamer, though, avoid PS 1 and 2, on account of the graphics are butt, even for the Genesis.  You'd be missing out on a great one in Phantasy Star 2, though.  Of course, they're nigh-impossible to find these days, but a quick ROM will fix that one up but good, no?

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2478
Posted: 17th September 2002 20:20

Crusader

Awards:
Suikoden 2... Man, do I wanna play that game! Mario RPG has been tempting lately, but Wild ARMs 2 and Pokemon haven't. I played Breath of Fire, and it was pretty decent. I should give it a try soon. I haven't played any of the other ones though.

--------------------
Post #2480
Posted: 17th September 2002 21:01

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Lufia II.  The story is very captivating, the characters are believable, the music is awesome, the graphics are actually VERY good for the SNES.  The gameplay in the game is one of its finer qualities, IMO.  The tools system is great and you don't have to go through 829740 menus to do so, and they actually help you avoid whatever combat you want.  The puzzles in the game, though difficult sometimes, are probably the most well-designed puzzles in any games that I've played.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #2485
Posted: 17th September 2002 22:44
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Warsong , Shining Force 2 , and Star Ocean 2
maybe not as good graphics as todays new rpgs,
but they are still really cool.

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #2489
Posted: 18th September 2002 15:35

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Neal is right. Lufia 2 is THE game to play if you haven't played it yet.
Post #2501
Posted: 18th September 2002 16:03

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2003. 
Lunar: the Silver Star Story is one of my old favorites, and now that there is a playstation version out it makes it easier for anyone to play.  The gameplay isn't spectacular, but the story is one of best out there - it's a very fun game to just walk around and talk to everyone - it's also probably the funniest game I've ever played.

--------------------
"Hit hard, hit first, hit often."

--Adm. William "Bull" Halsey, USN
Post #2502
Posted: 18th September 2002 17:20

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Star Ocean II, like people have been saying, is excellent. I just found it in an EB in Kansas and have been replaying it. If you can find any of the Breath of Fire games, I think BoF 2 is the best of the series.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #2504
Posted: 18th September 2002 22:22

Crusader

Awards:
Lufia 2 is a great game, might start a new file sometime. And I'll have to rent Star Ocean 2. Thanks everyone.

--------------------
Post #2509
Posted: 19th September 2002 19:01
Returner

If your gonna mention Lunar dont leave out Blue Star it was a great game.  It kind have brought the old level and the new level of gameplay to a completely different, level...
Well it was a good game!

--------------------
Of all the themes we could have had this is all we could come up with.
Post #2540
Posted: 25th September 2002 14:14

Black Mage

Awards:
Any of the Fire Emblem games. They were never released outside of Japan, so findig anything but a rom will be next to impossible, but if you can get it you'll LOVE it!

It's a TBS/RPG game that has good characters despite the high numbers of characters. One thing to note about them(or at least FEIV which is the only one I've played): if one of your characters falls, THEY AINT' GETTIN' BACK UP!!! This challenges you to constantly be mindful of your actions and makes you think about what you're doing.

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #2691
Posted: 25th September 2002 16:35

Black Mage

Awards:
I also must reccomend Xenogears. The first half of the game is a masterpiece, a work of art. Great characters, great story, great battle system...in the first half...

If you wish to play the second half of the game, you do so at your own risk...

P.S. Sorry about the double post. I had to leave my computer right after writing about Fire Emblem, and I just got back to it.

Edit
In which case, please try to use the Edit button to add to your earlier post.  This should appear above your posts if you are logged in. - Tiddles

Thanx, Tiddles. I didn't know how to do that before...
-_-

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #2696
Posted: 29th September 2002 21:22
Onion Knight

Awards:
Quick question about this first post on this thread:
What was the 1% that wasn't so great?

--------------------
Visit my useless site!
http://areldyb.tripod.com
Post #2871
Posted: 2nd October 2002 04:15

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
A good game that i like for pc is Vampire Masquerade: The Redemption, If you like Diablo you'll like it, way better graphics, interactivity, and battles

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #3034
Posted: 3rd October 2002 16:43

Black Mage

Awards:
I've heard that Earthbound is good, but I've never actually played it.

Check it out...

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #3072
Posted: 3rd October 2002 17:10

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Earthbound is excellent. A funnier RPG will be almost impossible to find (including Super Mario RPG) and it has excellent gameplay and a great story. Highly reccomended for anyone that can find it for Super Nintendo (or download it or something.)

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #3075
Posted: 5th October 2002 06:13

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Oh yeah earthbound is really cool! it's like a kid version rpg of the present hamburgers instead of potions, bats instead of swords, stuff like that :E . Speaking of which whatever happened to the sequel of that, i had heard a bunch of stuff about it then it all just disappeared :(

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #3146
Posted: 5th October 2002 14:53

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
A sequel for the N64 was slated, but ultimately scrapped due to numerous delays and the limits of the hardware.  It's a shame, too, considering just how great the original was.

I absolutely loved Earthbound.  The bizarre storyline and quirky sense of humor has made it one of my favorites for quite some time.  And no one could possibly forget the awesome music and weird secondary characters, as well as some of the strangest locales in RPG history.  If you've never played it before, you definitely should.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #3157
Posted: 5th October 2002 16:48
Engineer

Awards:
Since PC games have been overlooked, I'll throw in Sacrifice.  An EXCELLENT game, not so much an RPG as a strategy-RPG-adventure-action extravaganza.  Shiny did a pretty incredible job of throwing beautiful graphics, innovative and addictive gameplay, and a great story together.

You play as a wizard, and can choose to serve any of five gods (Persephone, James, Stato, Pyro, and (my earlier namesake) Charnel).  Depending on who you serve through the campaign, you get different spells and summon monsters.  And you can mix-and-match gods too.  Try it out.

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #3164
Posted: 6th October 2002 21:31
Returner

Awards:
The Breath Of Fire series is pretty good. Legend of Legaia (PS) is ok. It's not the best game, and the bosses are harder than they should be (most of them.) but it's ok. Mario RPG is fun! Earthbound is a fun Super Nes game!

--------------------
Son of a submariner!

-Kefka
Post #3199
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:18
Onion Knight

Awards:
I like to find new games that I would play, but I haven't even beat my others, but if your looking for a to play I would say Lufia II or Bahamuts Lagoon if you haven't play them.

--------------------
In the darkness looking for a way out, then I hear a call from my heart telling me to go forward. Then out of nowhere I see someone waiting for me and as I get closer I hear these words "I Love You"
Post #3490
Posted: 29th October 2002 00:18

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Suikoden and Suikoden 2. Hours upon end of good fun and tons and tons of characters and the stories are linked. I love these two games.

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #4193
Posted: 29th October 2002 05:06

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Some games I would recomment highly, even if I am repeating what other people say.

*Suidoen I and II, both AWSOME games.

Final Fantasy Adventure/Legends (Only played the 3rd Legends)   Both are great games, even though Final Fantasy Adventure was released as Seiken Destusen (spelling?  Not quite sure.) in japan.

*Seiken Destusen II (Again, not sure on spelling, but should be Secret of Mana II.  Released only in Japan, so translated ROM is the only way to play it.  It is one of the best games I have ever played.)

*Tales of Phantasia (Another game released only in Japan.  It is what spawned Tales of Destany, and would need to find a translated ROM to be able to play.)

Xenogears was cool, and yea... the later half of the game was... disappointing.  I never beat it, cause I got bored of the later half of the game.

*Dragon Quest 6 (Hey!  Guess what?!?!  Another game ONLY released in Japan.  I got a copy of a Translated ROM, but was a VERY sweet game.  A MUST PLAY for any Dragon Warrior fans.  It does have problems with loading, but easy to fix if you know how.  Definatly a LONG game, even more so if you try to beat the Secret Dungon [I was never able to, though I did get to it, which is not an easy task in and of itself.]  For those who need it, and can't find the translated version, I can send it over a chat program, but only ROM I still have a translated copy of.)

Earthbound was definatly an awsome game, though I got to the end of the game, I never finished it on the SNES, and haven't had time to DL a rom and beat it.

* = Games I have beat, and are worth EVERY second I spent on them.

And... dare I say it.... If you are REALLY desperate for a game...... Everquest.  Unfortnatly, I've been hooked on it for awhile, though my interest in it is finally fading away.

P.S.  If you can't tell, I'm by far an Old School gamer.  Newer games with Flashy Graphics don't interest me as Classics that were endless hours of fun.

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #4207
Posted: 24th November 2002 11:09
Onion Knight

Awards:
For those of you who aren't aware..... Seiken Densetsu 1 was released in the U.S. as Final Fantasy Adventure (another Square attempt at marketing to the U.S. audience) and Seiken Densetsu 2 WAS released in the U.S. as Secret of Mana.  Seiken Densetsu 3 (sometimes called Secret of Mana 2) was never released in the U.S., but is more than definitely worth downloading as a ROM...... it is still one of my favorite games to this day and I really am not a big fan of emulators.

--------------------
".....we'll settle it with a coin toss....."
"What do I look like, a waiter?"
"...alright, uncle ulty REALLY wants you to do his portrait"

"Strangers with this kind of honesty make me go a big rubbery one."
Post #5278
Posted: 24th November 2002 17:42

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
If you have a PS2 and you're still looking for a game, go for Wild ARMs 3.  I'm sure everyone in chat is sick of me talking about how wonderful it is, but it's wonderful.  :p  It's one of the cheaper PS2 RPGs, since it's only $40 MSRP.  It's about time to make a Christmas list, too.  However, while the game makes complete sense without playing the previous two games, there are a lot of hidden things from Wild ARMs 1 and 2 that make the game even more enjoyable to play, so you should play those first, especially WA2.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #5289
???
Posted: 13th December 2002 01:15
Unregistered

Uh Super Mario RPG but depends on which one i say lol. id say the better one. (you know)
Post #5828
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: