Final Fantasy Music Bracket and CoNtest!

Posted: 7th January 2011 20:36

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (MogMaster @ 7th January 2011 06:31)
It's too bad a contest like this is really only any good once- that is unless they retire the winner from the next one de facto. I mean, I just imagine a whole lot of people would have nominated and voted a bit different. Not to mention the brackets being different likely would have yielded some different results too. For instance, if Gilgamesh had been where Zanarkand was, I think this would be a different final setup...

That's how it goes. Maybe we'll have to do this vote again in the future, or others like it. I bet it would almost be completely different.

--------------------
Post #191959
Posted: 8th January 2011 19:01

SOLDIER

Awards:
Either way I doubt it'd be half as interesting a second time around. In the first case it'd just be rather tedious. In the second it might be be too infeasibly difficult to strategize, which is where most of the fun was in it for me. Even though I don't have many finalists, I doubt I could do half as well the next time around and there's very little point in all that planning for me if I'm not playing to win. As such I doubt I'll be participating in the next one unless there's some sort of dynamic input, like being able to swap out old picks once they got eliminated, with a round based score multiplier to maintain fair reward for earlier projections.

This pop quiz format was a really fun run though and rather exciting too with all of the close calls I managed to make. Two of my picks made it to round four and a third, while being knocked out a fair bit earlier on, was only eliminated by but a single vote and so, I have few regrets. If nothing else, it kinda bolsters my confidence in social understanding here at the Caves and familiarized me with some of the better music from games I haven't played, which I think are both rather cooll consolation bonuses if you were to ask me. I may just have to consider playing FF IX after this...

Quote (BlitzSage)
Oh well, looks like it isn't going to happen, unless there's anti-Dancing Mad fervor that occurs.

While I'm a bit late for direct commentation on the exact round, I still find the urge to say I find it doubtlful. While I was banking on this before since there were a lot of good songs in the bracket, yet I find it highly unlikely that any such bias would occur past the first couple rounds. Not only were other Final Fantasy VI songs the only competition remaining, eliminating most possible nostalgia bias but if fans of the other music don't band together to eliminate such a strong contender early on, nothing can be done to help the songs it managed to best. In this final round of Terra vs. Dancing Mad it may very well come down to their sole merits. Well, that and metagaming considerations of course.

Finally Question: It doesn't matter to me too much since I stand nothing to directly gain from it, but I'm curious as to if there is going to be a Zanarkand vs. Celes voteoff? I figured there would've been to determine the correct placement for scoring reasons (one extra point for the proper placement of 3rd/4th place) but I don't see any, the championship topic currently implies that the CoNtest is over once that poll closes and all of the polls of a given round are typically run concurrently. Perhaps it doesn't matter all too much but juding by some of the posts, I think there's a lot of interest in just exactly how well Cinderella Seed Celes is fairing.

--------------------
Post #192011
Posted: 8th January 2011 19:43

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Neal @ 19th November 2010 12:00)
  • 3rd/4th place: What additional song will make the final four?
  • 3rd/4th place: What additional song will make the final four?

You were never voting on third and fourth place, just the semifinal losers. In this case there's no difference between the two.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #192015
Posted: 11th January 2011 23:38

Behemoth

Awards:
Thanks for putting that together, that was fun. We gonna do any more contests?

--------------------
Post #192104
Posted: 12th January 2011 02:20

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I'd enjoy another one of these for some other large category. Preferably one not as ill-defined and immense as FF music, but it would be nice. For example, a bracket championship for "best non-Square SNES game" might be a nice idea.

Anyway, I probably didn't win, since Dancing Mad beating Terra was the obvious choice and I went the other way.

Good game, everyone!

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 12th January 2011 02:21

--------------------
It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.
Post #192107
Posted: 12th January 2011 04:58

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Ahh, seems like the contest was a smashing success -- pretty good turnout all-around, although Christmastime might've dampened it a smidge. I forget what I picked for the final four, but I'm pretty sure I'm batting .500 at least. And give it up for Terra! The song sure gave DM a good show, and for awhile there, it seemed like it'd pull off an upset.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #192110
Posted: 12th January 2011 05:13

Engineer

Awards:
Also was impressed by Terra's lasting so long, not a song I expected to go such a distance! I personally voted for Flamenco to win, most likely in a bout of insanity, but if there's any other song that deserves to be sitting on the top, I'm glad it was Dancing Mad.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #192111
Posted: 12th January 2011 21:08

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 12th January 2011 03:20)
I'd enjoy another one of these for some other large category. Preferably one not as ill-defined and immense as FF music, but it would be nice. For example, a bracket championship for "best non-Square SNES game" might be a nice idea.

I agree, but not non-Square SNES. The PS2 would be a more universal system, plus you wouldn't have to exclude Square.

I think this has been really successful as well, lots of participation, surprises and opinion. I'll probably write this again in the final thread, but FWIW thanks Neal for putting together such a great tournament.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #192125
Posted: 12th January 2011 22:05

Behemoth

Awards:
I think, to start out, we should at least stay in Square territory, preferably FF territory too... since, well, this is a FF website (for the most part).

--------------------
Post #192128
Posted: 13th January 2011 18:03

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Well the reason I wanted to exclude Square was because this IS an FF site and it's almost guaranteed that FF games are going to end up in top slots. So the competition would be more interesting if they were excluded.

--------------------
Post #192169
Posted: 15th January 2011 03:28

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 13th January 2011 14:03)
Well the reason I wanted to exclude Square was because this IS an FF site and it's almost guaranteed that FF games are going to end up in top slots. So the competition would be more interesting if they were excluded.

My point was to say that it should be FF-based, like a tournament for game soundtracks, stories, or the games themselves, and then move on to different lists.

Also, perhaps we could make this a regular thing, and make it a site donation type of thing. If you want to participate, you have to pay a dollar, and you can win prizes? Just a suggestion.

--------------------
Post #192204
Posted: 15th January 2011 16:27

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Ithink that severely cut down on the number of players. I'd play without prizes, but I wouldn't play for money.

--------------------
Post #192214
Posted: 15th January 2011 17:30

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 15th January 2011 12:27)
Ithink that severely cut down on the number of players. I'd play without prizes, but I wouldn't play for money.

Yeah, idk. Charity? Ah, too much work, nevermind.

--------------------
Post #192219
Posted: 10th December 2015 17:43

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I am kind of surprised Terras theme won.Not surprised dancing mad won since all 3 songs together are amazing.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.
Post #210035
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: