CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FFT titles

Posted: 6th June 2008 19:35

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Is there any real difference between the Final Fantasy Tactics titles?

Final Fantasy Tactics
&
Final Fantasy Tactics Greatest hits

I need to know so I don’t sell the wrong one! Thanks.
ph34r.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
I am the Lord of Dragons fear my Power!

Ryle Hira
(Life is what it is)
Post #167946
Posted: 6th June 2008 20:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
No difference in game at all, just as there's almost never any difference between the first release and the GH release.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #167947
Posted: 6th June 2008 23:49

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
r51 is correct. BUT it seems that from what ive seen, the original title will go for more money. castlevania SotN was the same way and many other games too.

if you have an original and a GH version, sell the GH. later on down the road, the original will prob. be worth more money.

--------------------
"Life: The deepest cut that wilt not heal. Fore it bleeds on and on as if an eternity. An endless river of blood in which death is thyne only escape. And as the tainted years pass, that escape muddles us with temptation."
Post #167959
Posted: 7th June 2008 01:45

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Essentially, the GH version of any plastation or PS2 game is when they end up selling out of all of a printing of a game, and decide, "Well... Let's fire up some more!"

If they do make a GH version, it typically sells for less (in the $20-$25 range) as it's an "older" game, but still a marketable game.

So it's kinda like a 1st Edition copy if you have the "Black Label" version as opposed to the GH version, if you want to put it in TCG terms. And that's why the non-GH version tends to sell for more.

Darn you corny, "Me First!" marketing tactics!

There really shouldn't be any difference between any Greatest Hits version of any game, except that it says Greatest Hits right on the disc and packaging.

Edit
if you have an original and a GH version, sell the GH. later on down the road, the original will prob. be worth more money.

This is the later on down the road, and now would be the time to cash out. As soon as Sony makes a non-backwards-compatable Playstation, you're out of all your playable collector value. You may be able to market it to someone that wants to watch it build up dust on a shelf, but selling out now probably isn't a bad idea. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by leilong on 7th June 2008 01:48

--------------------
If internal struggles were as enjoyable and glamorous as the self conflicted wars within video game characters, we would all be statues, reveling in perpetual self war. -Me

Play me on Rock Band 2, GH-WT, or any other Xbox GH!
Xbox Gamertag-MeanJerry
Post #167960
Posted: 7th June 2008 02:18

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Me a few years ago)
PS2 games don't need very many sales at all to qualify for GH status - the actual number is something like 200,000, which is usually easily achieved. The game's publisher generally decides to make the game a GH game when the sales figures are slowing down at a fast enough rate in which a price drop will significantly increase sales. However, this will happen if and only if the company decides not to discontinue the game despite sales figures after a certain time in order to preserve the game's rarity and keep the per-game profit margin high - Atlus is notorious for doing this, but Square-Enix isn't.

For example, FF X qualified for GH status in its opening week of sales rather easily, but it didn't become a GH game until almost two years after its release, because sales remained strong for that long and Square decided not to reissue a GH release until they thought that the significant mandatory price drop would benefit them. On the other hand, Atlus's Disgaea: Hour of Darkness also managed to qualify for GH status in its first year (2003), but it has never been given that status. This is probably because Atlus subscribes to the annoying business strategy of producing their more popular games in extremely limited quantities, with store inventories receiving more copies of their games at seemingly random times, but continuing to sell them at prices of $40 to $50, while a GH release would make the game's price a mandatory twenty bucks.

Yeah, Greatest Hits is a complicated business, but to pretty much all collectors, the original "black box" of a release without the Greatest Hits label is more desirable than the new border/cover of a Greatest Hits release. Green for PS1, red for PS2, yellow for Gamecube, and silver for XBox. The list goes on.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 7th June 2008 02:19

--------------------
Post #167962
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: