allright [ 16 ]  [11.94%]
yuck! [ 2 ]  [1.49%]
Total Votes: 134
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 30th April 2004 14:38

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
The thing that bothered me most is the fact that the new Light Warriors (and Butz/Bartz has to be the worst of them) have close to NO character development. And to those of you who disagree: Are you sure your protest is based on what the characters ARE, not what happens to them?

But for the battle system: I thought it was great. Not only is the Job system great once you which skills can be greatly combined (!Throw on a Black Wizard, anyone?), the monsters were interesting too (unlike Final Fantasy IV). Especially installing Shinryu and Omega for those who beat the game and are looking for a bigger challenge.

I've played it a few times. I love it.

--------------------
Post #39784
Posted: 1st May 2004 02:19

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Djibriel @ 30th April 2004 10:38)
The thing that bothered me most is the fact that the new Light Warriors (and Butz/Bartz has to be the worst of them) have close to NO character development. And to those of you who disagree: Are you sure your protest is based on what the characters ARE, not what happens to them?

Out of all three sets of Light Warriors, V had the best development.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #39965
Posted: 1st May 2004 08:57

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Really? Let's take a look at Bartz:

Major demon hunting him from the past:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
the death of his fater who later appeared to from another world.

Funny character traits: He snooped trough a library to find a Playboy. And he's afraid of heights.

Actual character traits besides 'heroic' and 'semi-interested in the girls':

...ehr...

Unlike in FFVI, I never got the feeling that characters really developed. There was almost, almost, a moment there that they could have been, back in the very first moments in the second world, but they're being attacked mid-sentence.

Nah, I still stand by my opinion that the only significant change anybody in the game makes is Galuf, since he
dies.

--------------------
Post #40010
Posted: 6th May 2004 21:49

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Wow...I actually really enjoyed FFV. The final boss is very hard to me though...I never beat him as easily as I've beaten other FF bosses, and the game overall is a great challenge. I actually liked the story/plot, and the characters. The graphics were pretty good for it's time as well.
Post #41298
Posted: 7th May 2004 19:36

Black Mage

Awards:
I haven't played it yet, but you guys' mostly good opinions of it make me look forward to the experience, and I liked the crystal stories as well, not a bad concept for any game at all.

--------------------
Adma <3 CoN
Post #41557
Posted: 10th May 2004 22:37

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I use the transed rom. LOVE it.

--------------------
Uwao. aooh! I'm Gau!
I'm your friend!
Let's travel together!

Post #42190
Posted: 18th May 2004 19:35

Dragoon

Awards:
Craptacular, it was sooo hard. I liked the Job system, but the game is not very good.
Post #43214
Posted: 18th May 2004 19:39

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Really GamblingCat I thought The Game was Uncraptacular.....But I do agree that the Job System is really COOL!!!!!!

--------------------
go To My New MegaMan Online RPG for some Fun

"It Begins Now X. A New World Will Be Born. Hahahahahah"-Vile
Post #43215
Posted: 18th May 2004 23:27

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I just started playing, and I don NOT like it. It's so hard ><
Post #43289
Posted: 19th May 2004 13:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
the story was VERY bland and the charicters were alright. the main like about ff5 is the job system
Post #43389
Posted: 31st May 2004 07:48

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
final fantasy + job system = sexy

one question?

wheres the onion kids. sad.gif

--------------------
Sensor: Advances closer four times. Defeat it before then, or else...
Post #45355
Posted: 31st May 2004 19:31

Onion Knight

Awards:
thumbup.gif I've completed X-2 100% and the jobs in that where so cool but it was just to short, then I found V, which is just as good as X-2 (obviously not graphically) and it's longer so I loved it!

--------------------
Clouds boys, Clouds boys, what ya gunna do, what ya gunna do when they come for you?
Post #45430
Posted: 3rd June 2004 14:04

Onion Knight

Awards:
How could you not like this game its amazing!!!

--------------------
One born of a dragon
Bearing darkness and light
Shall rise to the heavens
Over the still land
Yeah whatever, nobody really cares
Post #45813
Posted: 7th June 2004 18:21

Cactuar

Awards:
FF V is great. The gameplay was original, especially the job class. As for story, well I haven't played a game yet that could stand up to FF VI's, so comparing them is a little unfair. Graphics, hey listen kids, I'm old enough to have owned a Colecovision and a Commodore VIC 20, so FF V's graphics are amazing in comparison (who cares about graphics anyway?).

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm not going to garrote you.
Post #46337
Posted: 8th June 2004 00:08

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (KingofFigaro @ 7th June 2004 14:21)
The gameplay was original, especially the job class.

Not original, but expanded beyond its predecessor in a much more advanced way.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #46388
Posted: 16th June 2004 10:22

Onion Knight

Awards:
FFV is great! (Guess what I voted)

This game was all about gameplay and the gameplay is well... EXCELLENT!
I loved the job-system from FFIII and so of course I REALLY loved FFV's job system. This game also had some very good music (The music from Butz's home town... Brilliant!) and some very memoriable moments (The escape across the bridge is so cool). As for the story, I know it wasn't wonderful but it fitted the game very well and kept everything running at a nice pace.

Overall... I think FFV is better then FFIV, but not as good as VI. Its a great game and I dont see how people can put it down so much...

And all those who say its too hard... I thought it was fairly easy but thats probably cause I always level up so much and like in all FF's I rarely run from a battle. sleep.gif

SHEER GAMING EXCELLENCE!

This post has been edited by Muggle_Master on 16th June 2004 10:36

--------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Midsummer dreamer,
Fantasy weaver,
Wild thing,
Noble king,
Spell caster,
Muggle Master
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Post #47732
Posted: 12th March 2008 01:05

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
FF5 was alright. The thing that kills it, IMO, is the sudden leap in difficulty (or is it just me?).

--------------------
PM me if you have any FF 4 SCC tips.

Finished SCCs: Edge
Post #163905
Posted: 12th March 2008 01:46

Cactuar

Awards:
I never got passed that Siren boss battle and my ps2 broke... But I gave it an alright thumbup.gif

It had a nice world map theme.
Post #163907
Posted: 12th March 2008 02:16

Returner

Awards:
As far as character devolpment goes, FFV loses out. The heros had about as much personality as FFIII's Onion Knights, just with the inclusion of each having a seperate name and dialogue. (This is FFIII the original, not the DS version, which gives the characters each seperate names and things I beleive...)

The story is again, much like FFIII, just with more. But, I like that. It's simple and sweet and lets you focus on FFV's real crowning glory... The gameplay. The job system was good in FFIII, FFV makes it even better. It's the reason I've played this game so many times, in so many ways and will continue to do so. (White mage? =D)

Sure, it's no FFVII when it comes to characters (Not that I care much for FFVII anyway) but it still remains highly fun to play again and again, just because of its system and battles.

--------------------
Drink coffee. Eat pocky. Say kupo.

FFV SOLO SCC In Progress: White Mage (Such joy -_\\)
If you want to donate a white mage robe to me, then by all means do - playing FFV dressed as a white mage would be a dream come true. I can but hope.
Post #163909
Posted: 13th March 2008 17:22

Onion Knight

Awards:
The main reason why some players criticise this game, is because most of them are used to overkill-graphics, perfect sound quality, and deep love stories and intrigues.
I played this game for the first time back in 1997, just as the translation came out. This was five years after the original was released, which means:

THE GAME IS SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!

At the time of its release, this game was a revolution. Even the sound and music, the graphics, and yes, even the characters, were better and more interesting than ever.
Also, the ingenious job system and overall design pummels the hell out of most newer titles, but that shouldn't really come as a shock.

I voted great, which is waay less than the game deserves. To you who claim it to be Crap, I suggest you think more carefully the next time you judge a game older than most FF fans around.
Post #163997
Posted: 13th March 2008 17:33

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I like FF V just fine - it's not my favorite (that would be VI or Tactics) and not my least-favorite (that would be II). It falls a little flat in the character development department and suffers from the same audio/visual/mechanical deficiencies of every SNES-era game compared to modern times, but that hardly prevents FF V from being an overall solid game in the series; if little else, it's a welcome variation/progression of the traditional class and skill system that gets further improved upon in FF Tactics.

So yeah, I voted "good", but I could've gone with "great" I suppose. Eh, tastes and preferences.

EDIT: wow, prior to editing this post was a lot more negative than I had originally intended. It's funny how a missing adverb or two can change things around.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 14th March 2008 17:07

--------------------
Post #163998
Posted: 16th March 2008 22:20
Returner

Of all the Final Fanatasies I have ever played, the Job System here has given me the most pleasure. I could forgive any flaws for a game that has such depth and thought put into it.

...If you take the time to learn how to use it this Job System is incredible. However this is very much an adult's game, as a lot of younger gamers will easily be fazed by that same level of depth that is the game's great strength. I know I was!
Post #164108
Posted: 23rd March 2008 19:51

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
a think the game was great biggrin.gif !! the main thing a liked bout it woz the job system a think it was kickin bottom laugh.gif !! it did hav a crap storyline and cud possibley hav went thru the story quickly aswell. a woz rethinkin bout how gud it woz wen a learned bout the freelancer gainin stats of mastered jobs (a thought it woz the abilities 2 which wud make the characters 2 powerful a think) but a learned wot really happens laugh.gif . also likin the battles and the 12 super weapons. also the airship/ship/sub is uber kwl!!! thumbup.gif ff5!!!

--------------------
[img]http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/cards/672008/6c8e265d6453ee13754ae8dd8cd2f330.png[/img]

the voices talk to me... and i listen WELL...hehehe...
Post #164445
Posted: 26th March 2008 02:55

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Oh noes, here comes my super hate-type. forgive me for what i am about to say... currently being possessed... and here we go.

This game was the most worthless piece of crap to have the name final fantasy written on its packaging. there was absolutely no plot motivation to even play the game: nothing at all! not only a crapy story, but a crapy enemy, crapy characters, and painful dialogue. but then there is the only reason why FFV should even have been allowed to be sold: the job system. if there had been some reason for me to play this game, i might have gotten to enjoy that job system everyone rants about. but, when i finally couldn't force myself to play anymore upon defeating gilgamesh, i had maxed several jobs for each character, and still not found much enjoyment. I think it is too easy to max out a job, while it is too hard to gain job levels later on. not to mention you have only minimal customization ability: 1 job, 1 other ability (or a freelancer, with 2 abilities). so basically, i think that, though the job system is a pretty neat idea, it definately wasn't good enough to make up for the horrendous void where a storyline should be. To date, it is the worst game i have ever played. even worse than <sigh> FFX-2. and that's saying something

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #164593
Posted: 26th March 2008 05:45

Engineer

Awards:
FF V is...alright. Gameplay is almost brilliant. It does get rather difficult at times. I've played through it maybe a dozen times, and there's still bosses I have no idea how to kill in any really effective manner. The Jobs things isn't new, but surprisingly well balanced, almost perfectly so. I can't think of one class that didn't have a redeeming feature or wasn't just awesome. The Advance version's new jobs are unbalanced as hell though. Really, Gladiator=Unstoppable.

The plot...is vanilla and kinda bland. Until I came to the conclusion that it is a parody, or satire, or what-have-you.
Really, three worlds, and one of them is the first two smashed together.
Exdeath's theme sounds kinda like the music from Psycho, specifically the shower stabbing part. Also, Exdeath is a tree. A TREE. As in...a plant, with bark and leaves.
Faris is a pirate guy. Then a pirate crossdresser. Then an amnesiac pirate crossdressing princess.
Gilgamesh. The more bada** he gets, the wimpier he gets and the more he cries.
The Ultimate Forbidden Power is the power of Nothing.
A yellow submarine and you can sleep in it, so you can 'all live in a yellow submarine.'

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #164601
Posted: 28th March 2008 20:26
Returner

Ahahahahahahaha! Oh, that's got to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time, especially the bit about Sarisa... And don't forget, that's the SECOND round of forgetfulness in the plot.

Don't get me started on the Crystals either...

One consideration. Rather than nothing, we're talking entropy, energy-death. That's scary.
Post #164791
Posted: 29th March 2008 00:15

SOLDIER

Awards:
I voted Great! and I meant it.

What you mention as its greatest deficit (plot) i see as its greatest asset.

I went through what it is that I do and don't like about many games I play, and came to the conclusion that the reason I love FFV is how independant it is from plot. It's really a sandbox game. The only thing missing to make it a "real" sandbox game would be more side quests.

Also, if you play for a bit, then a new game comes out, and leave FFV be for months on end, and then you come back to it, you don't have to worry about where in the story you are at, you just play. Eventually, if you do enough, you'll get yourself back on track. That is my all time favorite part of that game.

I remember a time when I tried to play through FFIV and FFVI at the same time, and I perepetually confused the storylines to such a jarbled mess that I quit both because I couldn't figure out where Cecil went to in VI, and why I couldn't figure out where Yang and Sabin had their big fight at. tongue.gif

In the midst of all that, Butz was one hell of a Warrior/Monk, Lenna was one rockin' Summoner/White Mage, Galuf made a crazy Black/Time Mage, and Faris was the ideal Thief/Ninja. That was all I needed to know.

Good times, but just because some people demand an immersive plot, doesn't mean that makes a good game. I still haven't played all the way through VI becuase playing through 3 parts of the same story before I can figure out what happens after the first part I played (because I wanted to know right away) was too tedious, and shall I say... Annoying.

Scrap the plot, and let me play the darn game! thumbup.gif

--------------------
If internal struggles were as enjoyable and glamorous as the self conflicted wars within video game characters, we would all be statues, reveling in perpetual self war. -Me

Play me on Rock Band 2, GH-WT, or any other Xbox GH!
Xbox Gamertag-MeanJerry
Post #164816
Posted: 11th April 2008 00:20

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
LOL @ the guy who said 4 and 5 had crap graphics. What did you expect from an early 90's video game? Anyways, I thought 5 was not great, but pretty good. The characters were alright. The job class system was really amazing, I guess thats why I like FFT too. The story was a bit weak, but the in depth game play and interesting monsters/villians made a it a good game. If I had to rank this game next to the others then I would say 1. FF7, 2. FFT, 3. FF8, 4. FFX, 5. FF5
Post #165396
Posted: 24th June 2008 21:40

Engineer

Awards:
To be honest, the story just seemed to drag on and on. The job system was great, but without the story, my attention span was weak. Personally, it was alright until I found out how boring the story was.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #168804
Posted: 27th June 2008 02:47

Returner

Quote (The Celestial @ 26th March 2004 18:43)
Having said that, I am at the fourth meteor and my Galuf was an L4 monk/L4 white mage.  Now I've got to cross-class one of my big damage people for healing.  Whee.

well he'll will be back soon. so you don't need to worry about that.

Quote (cloud007 @ who cares)
1. FF7, 2. FFT, 3. FF8, 4. FFX, 5. FF5

DON'T YOU EVER PLACE FFV UNDER FFSUCKS A.K.A. FF8 IN RANKING[/spaz] *ahem* carry on.

Review: I love this game to death, character customizabilty is my forté. The battle system blows me away I never want to SEE another game's Blue Mage system after this these are THE best Blue spells in the series. Even though the story is a tad dry, It's not that big of a deal had it been better I'd give it a higher score. Next, the graphics, yes the graphics are meh as many others have said this game wass made in 1992 final fantasy VI's graphics was revolutionary graphics at the time. By today's standard's they are dated. but for '92 they were pretty good and the PSX and GBA remakes did an awesome job of prettying them up. Replayability = yes. the Omega and Shinryu quests are quite the prize to yearn for. even though I wish there was a better prize. Finally: soundtrack, I love it, I bought part of the dear friends album on iTunes, it is all very good, mad love for the 90's VG music. Final Verdict.

Gameplay: very smooth. Relatively easy to revive characters. customizabilty to the max. awesome job skills. 9/10
Story: it's very meh. two worlds. one big bad guy trying to destroy both worlds. yadayadayda blaiblaiblai. Epic fail cut and dry. 3/10
Graphics: by today's standard's. dated but very good considering they are reworked SNES graphics. I'l give it the benefit of the doubt. 6/10
Replayability: Pretty good it'll feel pretty good to master all them jobs. Although I do wish There wasa better reward for destroying Shinryu and Omega than trophies and that warm fuzzy feeling.
7/10.
Soundtrack: awesome sauce. Uematsu youv'e out done youself once more. buy Dear friends off of iTunes, do it. or if you don't feel like spending the money. go to BlueLaguna.net and download your favorite tracks. You cheap bastards. 10/10

Overall: *harp roll please, Bard* 7/10 Ouch, sniped itself in the foot on story, but I do believe the rest makes up for it. but don't take my word for try it your self. See you next time on, IGNATIUS'S MADE-UP REVIEW SHOW.

This post has been edited by Ignatius2722 on 27th June 2008 02:51

--------------------
"I PREFER the term TREASURE HUNTER!!" -- Locke Cole
"Blue mages get all the best spells, the constant dying makes up for that though...." --myself
Post #168961
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: