CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Spoiler Tags and News Comments

Posted: 4th February 2010 18:16

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Hey guys, I hate to be a bother but I was looking at the news topic "FF VII's Love Triangle No Longer Debatable" topic and did quite note that the spoiler tags do not work in the News Comment section. First of all, I'd like to say that you guys have absolutely ruined the plot twi-... Oh who am I kidding, almost everybody knows that one by now. wink.gif

Still it is a bit contrary to the message topping off the Spoiler Tags, not to mention the entire point behind them, if the comments aren't going to be hidden until they're selected. I could easily see somebody thinking they've shielded secrets away from those who should not know, when in reality they're broadcasting them out for the world to hear: The situation is somewhat reminiscent the whole Cone of Silence bit in Get Smart that my friend keeps telling me about now that I think about it, which is really rather funny. Although I'd presume that in this case funny is bad, since site features aren't meant to be a joke and I really do feel it's important to have some solution in place, since the people who read news posts might not be as astutely aware that they could have their plot spoiled by reading the posts.

Do note that one does get the message preceding the spoiler-tag, so the feature is not entirely broken, just the selection bit is. I've thought that the reason this might be, is because it might be a bit difficult implementing a feature to make the text transparent against alternating color backgrounds. However one might not have to, if they could make the spoiler a separate field and simply flood it with both a white background/foreground. Is that possible?

--------------------
Post #183676
Posted: 4th February 2010 18:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, I've been aware of this issue for about a week and simply haven't had time to address it yet.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #183677
Posted: 4th February 2010 18:47

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Is this a localized thing, or does it have to do with the browser and possibly OS on the users PC? I still use Vista and have Firefox as a browser, and the spoiler tags all look fine to me. Just pointing out that it may be more of a local issue than a global one.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #183678
Posted: 4th February 2010 19:01

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Nytecrawla @ 4th February 2010 13:47)
Is this a localized thing, or does it have to do with the browser and possibly OS on the users PC? I still use Vista and have Firefox as a browser, and the spoiler tags all look fine to me. Just pointing out that it may be more of a local issue than a global one.

No, it's not localized. You are not looking in the right place. In the forums, it is fine. In the news section of the main site, it is not, as Tonepoet said. Like I said, I've been aware of the issue for about a week and haven't been able to do anything about it - no real debugging needed. I'll reopen this topic when I have it fixed.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #183680
Posted: 5th February 2010 00:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Should be fixed now; I believe I got around to testing all of the skins. If you happen to use one that doesn't work, let me know.

--------------------

Post #183685
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: