CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
White Wizard + Masamune

Posted: 29th June 2006 19:54

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I once read somewhere that if a white wizard equips Masamune, it causes another job change. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

--------------------
Post #121792
Posted: 29th June 2006 19:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Denied, sorry.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #121793
Posted: 29th June 2006 20:30

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Furthermore, it's just a bad idea. The damage is sucky as hell.

Give it to a knight, if you have two and one already has the Excaliber. If not, a red wizard or ninja works well too. I'd put the masamune in the hands of (in order):

Knight
Ninja
Red Wizard
Black Wizard
White Wizard
Master

This post has been edited by Hamedo on 30th June 2006 12:31

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #121800
Posted: 11th July 2006 04:12

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
You probably shouldn't put the Masamune on a Master at all. The only reason to do so would be if you have 4 of them, but when you get to end-game levels, the Masamune does about as much damage as he would barehanded, and if your levels are higher than what would be typical, the damage is lower. Just sell it.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #123712
Posted: 11th July 2006 13:09

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Well yeah, I agree with the "not at all" part. I jsut figured I would list all classes in order so he could see the best to worst, potential wise.

Sell the best sword in the game? I'm trying to remember now what it sells for in the NES version. Now THAT would be a good FFI trivia question!

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #123791
Posted: 20th July 2006 10:05

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
S'not such a bad Idea, actually...
In my parties (Usually Kknight/Ninja/WM/BM or Master instead of the ninja) I equip the Masamune on the White Mage. Deals more damage than with the hammer and all the others have their ultimate weapons (Excalibur/Katana/bare hands for Master and the CatClaw) and the party altogether ceirtanly deals more damage than if the Masamune were equipped on the BM or Ninja (and no weapons for you, Master tongue.gif )

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #124994
Posted: 20th July 2006 12:16

Cetra

Awards:
Yeah, the damage is better than a hammer..... but that logic can also be placed in "the damage from it is better than Excaliber, so why not give it to your lone knight?".

Also, why exactly are you attacking physically with your white mage? There are more than enough items that cast offensive spells in the game. Let them use one of those if you jsut need a spare damage bonus, and spend the rest of the time doing what they were made for... namely, healing. wink.gif

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #125008
Posted: 20th July 2006 12:43
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I believe he is saying that the Knight/Excalibur plus the WhiteWizard/Masamune does more damage than the Knight/Masamune plus the WhiteWizard/Hammer, when he adds up all the damage his characters do.

It's a good idea if someone wants to use their white mage for melee combat.

This post has been edited by BT4X on 20th July 2006 12:59
Post #125013
Posted: 20th July 2006 13:30

Crusader

Awards:
I attack with the WM when I'm out of offensive spells and noone needs healing for the round.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #125016
Posted: 20th July 2006 13:39

Cactuar

Awards:
If I only have one Knight, I give my Masamune to the Ninja. The reason that I do this is that only the Knight can equip the second-best sword (Excalibur), whereas everyone can equip the Masamune.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #125017
Posted: 20th July 2006 13:52

Cetra

Awards:
I agree with Magicite. If there is only one Knight in the squad, he gets Excaliber without question. The next best character in terms of weapon damage needs the Masamune. Everyone has got their own style, mind you. I'm not saying that you are making an inferior party by giving the best sword in the game to the character with one of the lowest strength stats...... just that you are crippling the potential of what the sword can do. smile.gif

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #125022
Posted: 5th August 2006 11:44

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Hamedo @ 20th July 2006 05:16)
Also, why exactly are you attacking physically with your white mage? There are more than enough items that cast offensive spells in the game. Let them use one of those if you jsut need a spare damage bonus, and spend the rest of the time doing what they were made for... namely, healing. wink.gif

When you're at high levels, say, above 60, having three attackers is generally much easier than going all the way into your item list looking for an item to use, and does way more damage. None of the non-disposable spellcasting items will kill many enemies in one hit, especially at the end of the game, whereas a white mage with a masamune will kill most enemies in one hit. So why would you want a white mage with a masamune? perhaps to kill battles of three or four large enemies with 200+ life, quite common near the end, and in the special dungeons. Of course, spell items may be useful for weak enemies and larger groups, but puting a masamune on your white mage does in fact serve a purpose.

Also, in my case, I have Ultima Weapon on a knight and an unarmed Master, so I had to choose between giving the masamune to my white mage or my black mage. I chose my white mage because my black mage does more physical damage in general, and has attacking spells, as well as having Saber as an actual spell instead of just with giant's gloves.
Post #127078
Posted: 6th August 2006 00:43

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (LeviathanMist @ 5th August 2006 06:44)
When you're at high levels, say, above 60, having three attackers is generally much easier than going all the way into your item list looking for an item to use, and does way more damage. None of the non-disposable spellcasting items will kill many enemies in one hit, especially at the end of the game, whereas a white mage with a masamune will kill most enemies in one hit. So why would you want a white mage with a masamune? perhaps to kill battles of three or four large enemies with 200+ life, quite common near the end, and in the special dungeons. Of course, spell items may be useful for weak enemies and larger groups, but puting a masamune on your white mage does in fact serve a purpose.

Also, in my case, I have Ultima Weapon on a knight and an unarmed Master, so I had to choose between giving the masamune to my white mage or my black mage. I chose my white mage because my black mage does more physical damage in general, and has attacking spells, as well as having Saber as an actual spell instead of just with giant's gloves.

Wait, whoa. Level 60? Item list? Disposable spellcasting items? One-hit kills? Special dungeons? Ultima Weapon? What game are you talking about?

Oh, right, DoS. tongue.gif

In the NES original giving your WW the Masamune wasn't a good idea. YMMV depending on version.

This post has been edited by red_beard_neo on 6th August 2006 00:48

--------------------
Wasabi Viniagrette: Mix 1/3 C rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sesame oil, and 2 tsp powdered wasabi. Excellent over cold udon noodles and shiitake mushrooms for a Japanese pasta salad.
Post #127107
Posted: 6th August 2006 04:40

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Yes, my level 99 White Mage does around 300 damage with his hammer.

Anyway, on the NES version, I give it to my Red Wizard. Knight has his Excalibur, Master has his fists. White Mage uses that Healing Helmet or whatever it is to conserve his MP.

--------------------
Post #127135
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: