CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Thinking of getting a WiiU. For Splatoon, mainly.

Posted: 13th September 2015 21:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also somewhat interested in Super Mario 3D World.

Seems like the prices for a WiiU plus Splatoon right now range from about $280 (used WiiU, 8 GB version, used Splatoon) to $360 (new WiiU and both games new).

It's September 2015 right now. I just checked Wikipedia for the WiiU's release date, which is eariy November 2012, so it's been out for nearly 3 years. Splatoon was only released a few months ago, of course (end of May 2015). I'm just noting these in case anyone has anything to say about the timing of price drops. Which may also be related to the sales performance of the system, and I've heard of the WiiU being seen as the poorest seller in the current generation of consoles, but then again, Splatoon just came out and seems to be widely acclaimed, and Nintendo has been playing a strong hand with their first-party releases (SM3W, Splatoon, MK8, Smash...so many S names lol). There appear to be two models of WiiU -- one with an 8 GB hard drive and one with a 32 GB hard drive. Apparently there was a price drop of the 32 GB version from $350 (launch price) to $300 at some point in late August 2013?

Splatoon and SM3W both seem to be pretty small (which probably means well-compressed, seeing as how brilliant both look and sound) as far as current-gen games go, being about 1.8 GB and 1.6 GB respectively. Not that there'd be much more room to get that many games after this, but 8 GB would be at least sufficient to hold both, should the need arise. And the reason this is important is because, at least based on my understanding, packages of WiiU + game come with the game in the form of a download code.

Does this download code get irremovably linked to one's account once someone uses it? And does this also apply to games that come purchased in a box? I presume they come on a disc, but they also might have some other data that needs to be stored. Can I safely buy used or is there something that I'd likely be missing? (And what about used Amiibos?) I know that linking to an account is one of the biggest criticisms people have of buying boxed PC games that throw their customers onto Steam and make the discs dead weights after the Steam key gets redeemed...

I happen to find this deal in my geographic vicinity: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5216425078.html
What questions should I ask the seller? For example, I'm planning to ask whether the download code is something that's redeemed to his own account and thus whether the game is accessible to me.
What other risks would taking this deal entail?

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th September 2015 21:35

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209591
Posted: 14th September 2015 00:21

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I think the games that come in the bundle are pre-installed on the system. I seem to have come across that explanation on a google search.

But I would ask to try the system out first, either hook it up at the seller's home or yours before handing over the cash.

If you dabble in bitcoin, I found the same system for under $200.00 (https://bitdazzle.com/results?q=video+game+console&feed=google&utm_source=google&pid=1175927&name=nintendo-wii-u-deluxe-set-super-mario-3d-world-and-nintendo-land-bundle-32-gb-black&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=1175927&gclid=CPSzi-uf9ccCFVGRHwodZ8cKnw) so search around on prices a little more but craigslist can be a pretty sketchy place, or a place to get a great deal so keep that in mind. Seems legit, but like I suggested, make sure everything works first.

--------------------
Post #209593
Posted: 14th September 2015 14:36

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I do believe that the code gets linked permanently to the user's Nintendo account once it's been redeemed. I don't think there is any transfer functionality available. A quick search implies the same: http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/30018

As someone who owns one, I would advocate against getting the 8GB one. I got mine as a prize, so I didn't have much say in the matter, but in retrospect I would have been happier to find some way to trade it on the larger one. My system had only a couple apps, a couple NES VC games, save data, and New SMB Wii on the internal storage, and with just that I didn't have enough space to download the first Mario Kart 8 DLC. Worse, even after I took NSMBW off the thing, I didn't have enough space to get the SECOND Mario Kart DLC. Not only that, you can't expand the 8GB model with an SD card, at least not to put games on it. You have to get an external HDD - I hooked one up and now have 250GB available for games and other data, but the hassle is enough for me to say that for what you want to use it for, you should just ignore the 8GB model. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 14th September 2015 14:37

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #209597
Posted: 14th September 2015 15:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
^ I'm guessing I can check this by booting up the system and looking at some sort of games list to see whether [game i want] was actually redeemed?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209598
Posted: 15th September 2015 00:55

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I never, never advocate getting a system for just one game, so I would say no. If you are seriously interested in, say, Splatoon and at least four other games, then I'd start thinking.

But if you're serious about it, that deal in Vienna seems pretty solid. Hm, I'm about 20 minutes away from there....

--------------------
Post #209599
Posted: 15th September 2015 04:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (laszlow @ 14th September 2015 19:55)
I never, never advocate getting a system for just one game, so I would say no.  If you are seriously interested in, say, Splatoon and at least four other games, then I'd start thinking. 

But if you're serious about it, that deal in Vienna seems pretty solid.  Hm, I'm about 20 minutes away from there....

Hmm, good point. Let's see, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, and if you counted them, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10....still not 5 games. Heh.

Anyway, if you want the deal, go for it. I think I'm going to wait on buying it until after some other things get done in my life. As well as waiting to figure out this "tied to the account" vs. "tied to the console" issue gets resolved.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 15th September 2015 04:34

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209600
Posted: 15th September 2015 05:13

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
And, well, if MM9 and MM10 are major considerations, then you can get those on a Wii, 360, or PS3. All three of those have enormous libraries of good games and will set you back around $150 at most.

--------------------
Post #209601
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: