CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
First playthrough?

Which version of the original Final Fantasy did you play first?
The original on NES [ 37 ]  [63.79%]
FF Origins on the PS1 [ 12 ]  [20.69%]
FF Dawn of Souls on the GBA [ 9 ]  [15.52%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 5th January 2006 23:11

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Yes, the NES version was it for me. I played it for some time never really trying to hard at it (and spending all my GP on armor and magic). I finally got bored with fighting around all the time and that's about roughly when I heard FF2(us) was out. After that, I don't think I touched my NES controller for about 2 years.

--------------------
"Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard; be evil."
Post #106356
Posted: 9th January 2006 20:52

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I always went to whichever game rental store it was at the time, at least three times a week, right around the time the game originally came out for NES. Thus, the day the game came out in the Detroit area, I picked it up. However, it took my friend and myself years to beat the game, simply because everytime we class changed, we would get bored with our party and start over. We played the game so much in fact, that I used to have every game genie code memorized for the original version. gxsz gksv gxsx gksv... pretty sure thats the infinite gold code.

--------------------
think you're a true rp dork - try it live action shifted lands
Post #106571
Posted: 16th January 2006 05:59

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
I played it for the first time in 1992, on the NES. I was roughly 5 years old at the time. It was my older cousin's game and he had beaten it not too long before, and my parents finally started letting me playing video games again. (My dad used to play Mario often two or three years earlier and to get his attention, I would drool on and kick the NES until he stopped and then when he wasn't looking, I'd grab the controller and screw up his games. Hey, I was 3-4 at the time!)

Anyways, I wasn't really too wonderful at reading, but I eventually figured out what the words did when I pushed the button on them, I didn't know how to go to the menu, re-arrange my party or equip anything, hell items and their use was way over my head, but I figured out how to attack and use magic.

I spent my time fighting Imps in the forests, throwing my controller at the screen and screaming when ever I died, which was like...every battle. I rarely won a few and that would lead to my happy dance and me putting my big toe in my mouth. Again, I was 5 and very curious.

Anyways, I never even made it to Garland but I loved the game itself, though I didn't remember it's name, just knew what game it was by the cartridge's markings.

Then, right before or at the time of Origins coming out, I got a ROM of the game, wanting to explore the roots of Final Fantasy, since I had become hooked on VI (IIIus). I started up the game and upon first entering the World Map, I immediately recognized it. Now equip with a firm abiity to read and some RPG playing experience, I set out to beat the game.

About five or six months later, after pulling out quite a bit of hair and cursing up a storm and a half almost regularly during gameplay, I beat the game and stuck my big toe in my mouth out of joy. (That last part is a joke.)

DoS is ridiculously easy, but the graphics are pretty neat. Still, content > graphics.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #106822
Posted: 12th August 2006 14:40

Engineer

Awards:
I've just got Origins on the PS1 (SO EXCITED!!!).
Just need to finish FF7 and then I'm gonna play them all in order (1,2,4 etc). Can't Wait) thumbup.gif biggrin.gif happy.gif

This post has been edited by Silver 09 on 12th August 2006 14:40
Post #127976
Posted: 12th August 2006 14:59

Cactuar

Awards:
I played FF1 on the NES when it was first released in 1990. Having played the copy that my friend's father had, I wanted to own my own copy. I got it for my ninth birthday.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #127978
Posted: 12th August 2006 15:00

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Kudos to everyone who will in this day and age pick up a copy of the original and play it unmodded and without cheats of any kind.

Kids today are so frikkin' spoiled.

Get the hell off my lawn.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #127979
Posted: 14th August 2006 18:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNBA, 2007. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2009. 
Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
I was 12 or so when I got it as a Christmas present. I had already played Dragon Warrior, so I was familiar with several RPG concepts. I beat it with nothing but the instruction booklet and my brother and father's wits at my side. My party was a Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage. I thought the Black Belt sucked until I gave him Masamune at the end. It wasn't until years later that I learned that they do pretty good if you unequip their weapons... blush.gif

--------------------
"Getting upset over a trifle would indeed be unmannerly."

-Afra to Damia
Post #128170
Posted: 14th August 2006 23:57

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
My first playthrough was in PS1 (origins). A friend of mine who was no crazy idea of what Final Fantasy is, had bought Origins! There was no way I didn't get it and play it smile.gif...I played the whole game in black and white (2 colors)! There was a problem with re cd-rom (piracy, well all my FF are original, at least Anthology FFIV FFV and FFVIII FFIX. FFVII piracy biggrin.gif), and it was a shame to see Chaos in Black and White only sad.gif (although some times it played with normal colors! so strange tongue.gif)

--------------------
Ask me ANY FFV question! PM me!
Sorry if I dissapoint you but I have nothing to do with hacking...
Post #128187
Posted: 15th August 2006 01:11
Lunarian

Awards:
I never had any interest in Final Fantasy until I was motivated by an FFVII fanboy back in '02 that I bought FF9 and played it. I liked it..

I was much more used to the PlayStation Final Fantasies and when I was on the net, I saw FF2us and I downloaded it. I only played until I got to the world map and thought it was ok. Then when Origins came out I bought it because I thought FF2j was FF2us because they have so much in common with the airships and dragoons and such.

Yeah, so I started in FFO. FF DOS really sucks and I find myself playing the NES version more these days because now I realised how ruined FFO and FF DOS were with the music and graphics (too much pixel detail and it's worse than the SNES FFs)
Post #128216
Posted: 15th August 2006 17:19

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I, unfortunately, have only played the DoS version. I only beat it today actualy, since I finally got bored of Tales of Phantasia and had time to kill. and while yes, it is easy, Omega, Shinryu, and Doomgaze kinda make up for that. and the Nintendo power stratagy guide lies about Doomgazes strength. 90 attack power my ass, that bastard did over 700 damage.

--------------------
What do you get when Kefka kills X-Death, absorbs the power of the void, and enslaves Zeromus? NEO-KEFKA, LORD OF HATRED!
Post #128265
Posted: 15th August 2006 18:42

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Welcome to the forums Neo-Kefka smile.gif

Moderator Edit
Please keep all greetings posts to the greetings forum. This is to prevent postcount-abusing spam. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 15th August 2006 20:44

--------------------
Ask me ANY FFV question! PM me!
Sorry if I dissapoint you but I have nothing to do with hacking...
Post #128281
Posted: 17th August 2006 08:10

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
laugh.gif I played it on the NES after getting the game for christmas in Germany.

Man those were the days why can't the new FF games be like that. The only one that came close was FF IIIj but agin that was NES

I miss those days SIGH!!!

This post has been edited by Spud21 on 17th August 2006 08:10

--------------------
Spud, dont judge me by the name.
Post #128560
Posted: 30th August 2006 11:35

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
NES baby! laugh.gif All the way! Origins wasn't bad... played that too...huh.gif DoS for the lose! thumbdown.gif

--------------------
Club Sandwiches. Not Seals.
Post #129703
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: