CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
First playthrough?

Which version of the original Final Fantasy did you play first?
The original on NES [ 37 ]  [63.79%]
FF Origins on the PS1 [ 12 ]  [20.69%]
FF Dawn of Souls on the GBA [ 9 ]  [15.52%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 28th October 2005 03:01

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I noticed in the naming characters thread that there were a lot of five-plus letter names, so I was wondering - the first time you ever played the first Final Fantasy game, which system did you play it on? Which is your favorite?

I got FF I for my old NES around 1993 or so, when I was seven years old. I had played FF IV/IIus at a friend's house and was hooked, so when he told me that the first FF game was an NES game I bought it immediately, but it took me at least two or three years of sporadic playing to beat Chaos. I own Origins, but I don't think I ever finished it. I got to I think the Sunken Shrine, and then went on a permanent hiatus in a particularly long bout of leveling-up. Origins was also my first exposure to FF IIj, which I pretty much despise. I got Dawn of Souls last Christmas, and I think it only took me eight hours (if that) to beat it and explore each of the elemental dungeons at least twice each.

In any case, I think each of the methods of playing it have their merits. The original plays very clumsily, but it has a huge nostalgia factor to it. The PS1 version has some very pretty visual and audio upgrades, but has some painful loading times. The GBA version has both the lack of loading times and the nice visuals, and some extra features to boot, but it also loses its hardcore difficulty and with it virtually all of the old-school feel. I have to say I prefer the original the most, but for a modern audience the GBA's changes were fairly necessary adjustments. So what do y'alls think?

--------------------
Post #101116
Posted: 28th October 2005 03:43

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
First playthrough was the NES. I didn't play it until I got a ROM after getting a computer in 03. I wasn't really alive for NES. I was the SNES generation.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #101118
Posted: 28th October 2005 09:20

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Please, I didn't even hear of the Final Fantasy series until VI (IIIus). I decided to check out FFOrigins about a couple years ago for curiosity's sake.

Edit
Fixed a typo

This post has been edited by Galsic on 28th October 2005 09:21

--------------------
Post #101139
Posted: 28th October 2005 10:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I can't remember how i came across it, but the first i played was IX, which led me to the earlier series, namely 1-6 (excluding III). I don't have a NES, and DoS wasn't out then, so i got Origins.
Post #101143
Posted: 28th October 2005 13:59

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The first time I played FFI was around 1990 on the NES. Being the first RPG I ever played, I didn't quite understand it (I knew I was doing something wrong when I discovered my Black Mage could never beat Garland in a boxing match thumbup.gif ).

I soon figured it out, and 15 years later I still think that game is great. I own the Origins version, which is pretty good, but the old school charm was definitely lost in translation. Origin's auto-targeting feature is nice for inexperienced players, but takes away from the inherent difficulty of the original game. I liked the variety of battle music in Origins. If there was one thing I could change about the NES version, I would add more battle themes for the bosses and fiends.

Both games have their strong points, but I prefer the NES version. I'm not into portable gaming and have never played Dawn of Souls, so I cannot comment on it.

This post has been edited by jfjksdl on 28th October 2005 16:04

--------------------
I know I've been Final Fantasy XII too long - just the other day I referred to a region with no cell service as a Jagd!
Post #101153
Posted: 28th October 2005 14:28

Black Waltz

Awards:
I 1st played a ROM of the NES version in 04, but I got pissed off, being of the Snes/PS1 genertation. I got DoS, and beat it pretty easiky, but I want to try again on the NES version

--------------------
Post #101154
Posted: 29th October 2005 21:19

Lunarian

Awards:
Origins is the only version of the game that I've got.

--------------------
"Thought I was dead, eh? Not until I fulfill my dream!"
Seifer Almasy

"The most important part of the story is the ending."
Secret Window

"Peace is but a shadow of death."
Kuja
Post #101263
Posted: 30th October 2005 01:53

Crusader

Awards:
im the same......i just beat it about a month ago.....i was curious so i got origins

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #101285
Posted: 30th October 2005 02:13
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I bought my copy of Final Fantasy for the NES at a PharMor store that was liquidating its video game and movie collection. I sucked at it. I sold it a few years later for about $20 on eBay.

Now, I have Origins for the PSX, which I bought as a Christmas present for my husband. I suck at that, too.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #101288
Posted: 30th October 2005 06:09

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Ufff, a long time ago.. tongue.gif
Post #101295
Posted: 30th October 2005 06:31

SOLDIER

Awards:
NES. Our names were Matt, Sal, Adam... and, uh... Dan, possibly? Yay for short male names.

--------------------
Some ghost of me might greet my son
the day he is delivered.

Eternal Sleep, Track 1-1: The Blue Planet
Post #101299
Posted: 30th October 2005 18:45

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Back then in the good 1992/1993 perhaps...I played FFI on the NES thanks to one of my brother's friend. I was a child , which followed its guide book 'til the end, (but the guidebook was a help from the beginning to getting the airship only.!) Then I was around near a year trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. Luckily I found the Oasis , and from there I finished the game...that was challenging, I didn't knew about the special effect of the Ribbon or ProRings back then so was a very hard game to complete...

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #101353
Posted: 5th November 2005 14:54

Cactuar

Awards:
FFI was, for the most part, before my time, so I played it on Origins. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience for the original. Too much missing.

--------------------
"It is a part of human nature to be evil, and it is a part of human nature to destroy evil, therefore, when evil is destroyed, so will be the human race..."
- Atma
Post #101986
Posted: 5th November 2005 15:40

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
My first playthrough was on the NES, my mom bought it back in mid '93 and seeing as how it was a video game and I was 6 I absolutly had to play it and it ended up causing me to become addicted to the final fantasys, however my NES stopped working on me in 99 and I had to switch to an emulator and finally beat it in 2001, and though it took me 8 years to beat, it's still my favorite game of all times and, at least for me, it still has replay value and for the record thats the longest any game ever took me to beat.

This post has been edited by mcclanahan on 6th November 2005 23:42
Post #101990
Posted: 10th November 2005 00:47

Dragoon

Awards:
wow, i may be the only one who played it first on the GBA with dawn of souls, and i enjoyed it all, so i played it first on GBA with DoS.
Post #102322
Posted: 10th November 2005 06:21

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I must admit that I only recently played FF1 on Origins at my friend's house.......I still haven't gotten a chance to beat the game
Post #102336
Posted: 10th November 2005 21:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm a DoS person... that's where I was first introduced to the game, and that's the only version I've ever played so far.

--------------------
"No matter what happens, I will always be with you... forever." ---- Pocahontas, Pocahontas

"Only those who are already at the top are rewarded without trying."----- Delita Hyral, Final Fantasy Tactics

http://www.ffshrine.org/fft/fft-midi/1-42-back_fire01.mid ---- My favorite FFT battle song
Post #102384
Posted: 10th November 2005 21:44

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
I first played it on the NES in 1990, shortly after its domestic release.

I really hated the game during my initial playthrough, and it took me over a year or two before I got around to beating it. I'm not sure when or how it finally dawned on me to equip my party with armor and weapons at the beginning; I kept getting my butt kicked by Imps and I couldn't figure out why...

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #102385
Posted: 11th November 2005 04:07

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I remember the day when I bought FF1. I was at a Wal-Mart in Canada with my grandpa and my sister. I saw some NES games on the shelf, FF1 was being sold for 15 dollars, and there was this 10 dollar puzzle game (I think, I don't know about the puzzle game). My sister wanted the Puzzle game but I wanted FF1, so we had a fight. I said you don't play video games anyways, so I was able to get FF1. I was victorius. Then I got hooked. I read the manual that it came with, and I picked the party on one of the pages (Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage). My first party's names were AAAA, AAAA, AAAA and AAAA.

I remember too many useless memories.

I then played the ROM for the NES emulator 4 years ago and I also played the Dawn of Souls in Japanese, but I remembered all the text anyways, so it didnt matter. People though I could read the Japanese, and they were right, I kinda did know what order the magic/weapons/armor were sold in the shops, err.

This post has been edited by byblos on 11th November 2005 04:11

--------------------
Who is Byblos?
Post #102420
Posted: 13th November 2005 00:06

Crusader

Awards:
wow i hear all these 'took me a couple years'....i beat it in a month and a half.....

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #102565
Posted: 13th November 2005 05:37

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
^ Well, you played the Origins version, but most who've posted here played the NES version. Origins has a few features added to it that the original didn't have, like auto-targetting, an easy mode and, if I recall correctly, the ability to save anywhere on the world map.

Plus, you had the option of using plenty of online walkthroughs. It was hard to find guides in 1990 (around here), and using the Internet was outta the question. 'Sides, FFI on the NES was, to a lotta us, one of our first RPGs; it took a great deal longer to figure it out than it likely would've starting with one of the later, easier FFs. wink.gif

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #102583
Posted: 13th November 2005 18:28

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
To add to what SilverFork was saying for alot of the people I know as well as myself the game had a bad habit of getting erased if you took a break to play something else or if some one else wanted to play something else or whatever reason you removed it from the NES for, it really got annoying but still it's the best game ever.
Post #102602
Posted: 27th November 2005 16:06

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
When I was but an infant my parents had Final Fantasy.
My dad would get mad at me because he'd get his class change, and shortly after I would play a game with the names 'AAAA' and go to the Inn and save over his game.
Then I would laugh and laugh.

Those were the days. :tear: wub.gif
Post #103775
Posted: 6th December 2005 07:30

Black Mage

Awards:
I first played the NES version about 7 years ago but didn't get very far. It wasn't until I got Origins that I actually played all the way through. I'm thinking about getting the Dawn of Souls for kicks.
Post #104521
Posted: 6th December 2005 14:02

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
I played the original version on the NES. I ttook me over a year to beat it, and only then thanks to the Nintendo Power strategy guide. (shameful, I know, for a gamer to admit to such weakness)

I'm glad I got to experience the original version of the game that launched the FF series. It's funny to hear some of the younger/newer games say things like "the attack misses if the opponent is already dead!", and "you only have so many spells per level? WTF?!?". Ha hah... the original was definitely a trip into the unknown for me, as it was the first RPG I had ever experienced. I suppose the best word to use here is thankful. I'm thankful to have been able to play the original of them all.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #104536
Posted: 6th December 2005 21:10

Returner

I played, and own, the original on the NES. My first response apon playing it was to exclaim: They stole the rules of D&D!

Heh.

j/k

Anyway, at the time I played it, I had played FFIII (6j) for the SNes, which was my second RPG on a console (my first was Dragon Warrior (Quest)).

I loved it, and have been in love with the FF series ever since. I don't have a favorite, as I love something about each one of them (yes, yes, even FFVIII and FFTA tongue.gif ).

However, Chrono Trigger rules all.
biggrin.gif tongue.gif shifty.gif

--------------------
I'm a Red Mage. If you wanted someone to cast Doomsday, you should have hired a Black Mage, and no, I can't cast White Wind, so don't even ask. You'd best NOT confuse me with one of those pansy White Mages, and ask for a fancy Curaga, either.
Post #104565
Posted: 22nd December 2005 01:44

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
wow...hmmm. i dont remember the first time i played, but my aunt was the one who showed me the game on nes. i was so young i dont even know wich one it was. but it was good times biggrin.gif
Post #105480
Posted: 22nd December 2005 18:53

Returner

Awards:
The first time I played FF1 was on NES, but I never beat it until I got DoS.

--------------------
~TornadoOfSouls~
Post #105539
Posted: 31st December 2005 08:58
Returner

Found original NES version in a used game store about a year ago, bought it and played it on my old NES. Loved it too. My first FF game and now I'm hooked. I think it's still my favorite (almost topped by FFII, but the stupid leveling system is driving me mad.) I bought origins for my playstation so now I can play both.

First time I played I admit to using the game genie a few times when it came to spending money. Is is just me or is this the WORST FF when it comes to getting money to buy stuff? They're like: "Here! 5 coins!" And you just stare forlornly at some super-expensive armor or weapon that you'll be fighting 5 hours at this rate to get.

Yeah, it's cheating, but it WAS my first FF and I hadn't adjusted yet to the programmer's silly desire to make me waste 50 good hours trying to get money instead of actually playing the game for it's storyline. These games would be short if not for stuff costing so much money.
Post #105989
Posted: 31st December 2005 20:34

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
unfortunately, i first played through it and beat it on the DoS version. (ick.)

i then played the NES version, ive beaten that one three times thumbup.gif (only then finding out it was more difficult.)

ah, the fun of getting the airship before the volcano... wub.gif

--------------------
Post #106000
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: