CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
War of the Lions Ending

Posted: 10th September 2009 00:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
So, I was just watching the FFT ending again this morning as I was working on some stuff for CoN. Having just bought a PSP on eBay, as well, with the intention of playing FFT on it first of all, it made me wonder:

The ending of the original PSX version has always been contentious; the poor localization left a lot of ambiguities as to what exactly happened throughout. So, now that there's an ostensibly better localization out there, does it clarify anything? Does it make more sense? And, if so, does it improve the ending overall?

I'll take my answers in spoiler tags, thanks. I may end up wanting to see it for myself, you never know.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #181256
Posted: 10th September 2009 02:30

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
That's... actually a question I share. I don't think I've seen the revised ending yet. I'll go do a speed run, and if no one answers by the time I'm done, I'll post my findings.
Post #181263
Posted: 10th September 2009 21:05

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Well, there were really two points of contention: the funeral scenes and the post-credits castle scene. [You can also count the "why didn't Balmafula say anything?" Q as something but only FFT warhorses care to debate that stuff.] Had to watch the PSP ending on the Youtubes, m'self, but after that...

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
1) The funeral/1st ending still doesn't clear much up. Instead of the two Beoulves riding off across the plains, it shows 'em by a creek -- they then ride off into the sunset. It still depends on what camp the player's in: (1) they lived (2) they died/are ghosts (3) came back as Lucavi hosts, or used the stones to survive (4) Olan hallucinated the entire event (5) The writers are big jerks for leaving a gigantic question mark there.

2) Greedo shot first! I mean, Ovelia stabbed first. In the original, the situation was rather nebulous: Ovelia dove at or tried to hug him, "something" occured, Delita is seen unsheathing a knife and killing his new bride. The scene is roughly the same, but after reading up, there's a scene where Agrias gives Ovelia her knife, meaning Delita reciprocated (and it wasn't premeditated) -- seems like the final nail in the coffin to me. [The new king still lives; the "had a long reign" part remains.]

As for improving the ending, yeah, I enjoyed it marginally more than the original, both because of the excellent cel-shadedness and the overall better translation (the ye olde English stuff doesn't turn the eulogy into a flowery speech or any of that worst-case-scenario stuff, luckily). So for PSX fans, it's definitely not worse than the original.

This post has been edited by Shotgunnova on 10th September 2009 21:06

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #181308
Posted: 30th September 2009 14:56

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Shotgunnova @ 10th September 2009 17:05)

The scene is roughly the same, but after reading up, there's a scene where Agrias gives Ovelia her knife, meaning Delita reciprocated (and it wasn't premeditated) -- seems like the final nail in the coffin to me.

That makes me wonder what happens if you let Agrias turn into a crystal. Would the scene still happen? Hmmm.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #181684
Posted: 30th September 2009 16:19

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Neal @ 30th September 2009 10:56)
That makes me wonder what happens if you let Agrias turn into a crystal. Would the scene still happen? Hmmm.

Now that I have FFT PSP, I'll try to remember to test that. Obviously it won't change the outcome, since that outcome is canon as per the original release that doesn't even have the scene Shotty mentiones, but now I'm curious too. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #181685
Posted: 11th January 2017 02:07

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 30th September 2009 10:19)
Now that I have FFT PSP, I'll try to remember to test that. Obviously it won't change the outcome, since that outcome is canon as per the original release that doesn't even have the scene Shotty mentiones, but now I'm curious too. smile.gif

I never actually did this. Has anyone else? I don't know exactly where the knife-giving scene takes place, but maybe if I ever finish playing on iOS I will fork my savegames at that point to find out.

I assume the scene doesn't occur but Ovelia ends up with one anyway... I don't see any other way it can really work.

--------------------

Post #211899
Posted: 17th January 2017 20:20

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just beat this game a year ago. Was really hoping the psp version would clear up some questions on the ending. Sadly it doesn't. I was also hoping for some sweat added super boss since the first game didn't really have one. Again. I was disappointed. Oh well. I attained cloud's cherry blossom and Zodiarc. Mission accomplished for me.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211937
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: