CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R1: #6 Within the Giant (FF4) v. #11 The Gapra Whitewood (FF13)

Which song is your favorite?
Within the Giant [ 4 ]  [40.00%]
The Gapra Whitewood [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
Total Votes: 10

Posted: 6th November 2017 22:05

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Another matchup of newcomers, one track of which was released after the last competition.

Within the Giant is exactly what you would expect if you've played Final Fantasy IV. It's a menacing and dramatic theme with very mechanical undertones, well-suited for what is literally a trip through a city-sized robot beast.

Very different indeed is the other challenger; the Final Fantasy XIII series has a number of ethereal, more ambient tracks, one of the significant changes brought to the series by Masashi Hamauzu. Staccato drums and light, abstract vocals connect this track to the environment in-game.
Post #213621
Posted: 6th November 2017 22:06

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Listen Here!
Within the Giant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKadyDrBsw
The Gapra Whitewood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjrWjptj9Xc

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213622
Posted: 9th November 2017 12:50

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Bah. There are so many great tracks in FF13, and the music is not one of the faults people can have with it in general, but Gapra Whitewood is not one of them....
Post #213682
Posted: 10th November 2017 12:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 9th November 2017 06:50)
Bah. There are so many great tracks in FF13, and the music is not one of the faults people can have with it in general, but Gapra Whitewood is not one of them....

What? No! Booooooo @ your take.

I'm willing to say that I consider this the weakest of the tracks that made it in from the Final Fantasy XIII series (off the top of my head, the others are Dust to Dust and Blinded By Light from 13 and New Bodhum from 13-2, I think?) but that's a relative ranking only. I love how Gapra is both upbeat and serene at the same time. It's a good match for the environment, too, even though that's not one of the better parts of the game.

In short, you have failed me here.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #213724
Posted: 10th November 2017 14:48

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 10th November 2017 08:56)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 9th November 2017 06:50)
Bah.  There are so many great tracks in FF13, and the music is not one of the faults people can have with it in general, but Gapra Whitewood is not one of them....

What? No! Booooooo @ your take.

I'm willing to say that I consider this the weakest of the tracks that made it in from the Final Fantasy XIII series (off the top of my head, the others are Dust to Dust and Blinded By Light from 13 and New Bodhum from 13-2, I think?) but that's a relative ranking only. I love how Gapra is both upbeat and serene at the same time. It's a good match for the environment, too, even though that's not one of the better parts of the game.

In short, you have failed me here.

Found the shameless voter of Gapra Whitewood!

This is the crap they play while you're getting a massage at a downtown spa, where it really isn't *that* cozy but you pretend it is while getting subpar service and overpaying.

It's the kind of music they play between terrible concert bands before the main event that you've been finally waiting for. I feel like I have aged 20 years just listening to this again on purpose.

I could record this with a synthesizer and some J-Pop playing in the background while just making random noises into a microphone.

No.
Post #213727
Posted: 10th November 2017 14:50

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Actually, I'd not yet voted on this matchup! Completely forgot! So now all you've done is help me LEVEL THE SCORE.

--------------------

Post #213728
Posted: 10th November 2017 15:09

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
This was an interesting match-up for me. Both tracks do well to evoke the same kind of imagery in my mind. The Gapra Whitewood just does this better by virtue of its technological advantage, and the vocals, in particular. I really do like it when vocals blend in with music like that.

Edit
Lololol, that above exchange. Please tell us how you REALLY feel, Evileye tongue.gif .

This post has been edited by Galsic on 10th November 2017 15:15

--------------------
Post #213729
Posted: 11th November 2017 01:05

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 9th November 2017 12:50)
Bah.  There are so many great tracks in FF13, and the music is not one of the faults people can have with it in general, but Gapra Whitewood is not one of them....

Agreed. I'm actually baffled by the fact that this made it in but tracks like "Fabula Nova Chrystallis" didn't. Yes, "The Gapra Whitewood" is a pleasant sounding song, but it really lacks any emotional impact. To me, about a quarter of the FF13 soundtrack is better than this.

Needless to say, I much prefer this to the FFIV song, so I still voted for "The Gapra Whitewood" tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Harlequin on 11th November 2017 01:07

--------------------
Post #213745
Posted: 11th November 2017 05:15

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I have never played FF13 but this track sounds pretty intriguing. And I like how it's bright and airy. Though the latter half of the track could use a bit more than the two chords it has (Dmin11 and Gmin13).

Within the Giant isn't one of my more favored tracks from FF4 either, though it does have a decent melody and harmonies to it. My main beef with it is that it has a sullen intro, but then sort of bursts into something that sounds more "normal" and "open" and loses that atmosphere, and then it becomes just sorta there. I really liked the sullen intro for the darker recesses of the final dungeon, but sticking around too long outside of battle just made it lose its character. This is another difficult matchup.

Edit: Having listened to "The Gapra Whitewood" a few more times, I'm hearing a sort of Secret of Mana type folksy vibe to its nonfunctional harmonic language ("nonfunctional" is a technical term in music theory, before you get mad at me), but minus the awkward instrumentation that plagued SoM's soundtrack.

While I really like the melody that comes in late in "Within the Giant", it doesn't quite make up for the weak beginning of the melody. So my vote goes to "The Gapra Whitewood".

Also this thread is missing a seed rank for the second track in the title.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 11th November 2017 06:23

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213752
Posted: 11th November 2017 19:55

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I genuinely don't like either all that much...so for the only time I've voted by game...not that it appears to matter!

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #213777
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll