CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Names in Games

Posted: 3rd January 2017 14:09

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Ariana Grande Is In A Final Fantasy Game

I heard this on the radio yesterday and wanted to have a moan.

Now I can understand Ozzy Osbourne appearing in Brutal Legends.

Lewis Hamilton appearing in Call of Duty is bloody stupid. It drives me up the wall!

As an actor, it is infuriating to see roles going to people who aren't even bloody actors. I know it's a commercial industry, and I don't expect to be asked to where bunny ears and crouch in fishnets for a photoshoot. But where is it going to end?

We already have a host of talentless names taking roles in pantos from actors. Typically a panto will need 2 or 3 names to get bums on seats and I can moreorless accept this. But it's not enough they want to take jobs in gaming away from the rest of us too, it's STUPID!

Rant over
Post #211846
Posted: 3rd January 2017 16:58

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Well, for a counterpoint, I'll throw out the new FIFA, which I've discussed in other threads; it's got a new mode this year called "The Journey," in which you do a bit of soccer-RPG where you play as a youngster in the professional ranks in England and try to work your way up the ranks. According to the credits, you can interact with some real professional players along the way like Harry Kane, James Rodriguez, and Angel Di Maria "in person" and on the game's version of Twitter, and those interactions work because they're in proper context.

(Of course, expecting Spurs to transfer Harry Kane to whatever team you end up on at first - in my case So'ton - is pretty unrealistic, but you can't have everything.)

I think the big difference between this example and what you're describing ends up being that context. If the game has that, it makes sense, and if it does not, it looks like a ridiculous concept used to make money. It's product placement, which is okay when it makes sense and isn't obtrusive, but Ariana Grande in a Final Fantasy game? I've never heard anything about her even being a fan, and if she's not, there's absolutely nothing connecting her to even a mobile game unrelated to anything else Square Enix-y. I just don't get it.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 3rd January 2017 16:58

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211848
Posted: 4th January 2017 08:53
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (mertinatron @ 3rd January 2017 07:09)
Now I can understand Ozzy Osbourne appearing in Brutal Legends.

Don't you be talking about my waifu like that!

Srsly tho, that comparison straight don't fly, unless this new FF is somehow a personal passion project revolving around pop stars...which now that I've said it out loud I realize is a distressingly likely scenario.

--------------------
Post #211850
Posted: 7th January 2017 14:25

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
It seems like a lot of nonsense to me, and I think it is a plain money-making cash grab; but...

As long as it's not the start of a slippery slope, I'm not that fussed. The game isn't any kind of canon - it's a mobile only game, and it's one of those which has its own story and gameplay, but is based on the freemium model and so it has playable characters from all of the other FF games. As such, I don't really view it as a serious entry into the series, and I'm less bothered by Ariana being 'in' it. It's no worse than Lightning's foray into handbags.

However, if she turns out to be a massive lifelong fan of the series then that's different, and kinda cool - and I'd gladly invite her to come play with me...I mean, play FFXV with me..ahem.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #211866
Posted: 15th February 2017 15:40

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
...those interactions work because they're in proper context.

Yes that makes sense, context is everything. (Hard to see sometimes with the internet & media being such great context removal systems).

...there's absolutely nothing connecting her to even a mobile game unrelated to anything else Square Enix-y. I just don't get it.

(See what I mean?) Because money, money, MONEY!

I'd gladly invite her to come play with me...

Smooth

I think this will increasingly be the way of things. Celeb culture is everything it seems, whether it's relevant to link celebs with games or not.

Post #212204
Posted: 20th February 2017 19:12

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Someone get me Winona Ryder's Agent's phone number so I can tell him/her that she (Ms. Ryder) would make a lovely Terra Branford.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212251
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: