CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FFIX

Posted: 30th January 2004 01:25

Returner

I think FFIX was a really great game. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends disagree saying that the graphics were too cartoonish and made the game more childish. I didn't think the graphics got in the way at all, once the story gets underway the graphics represent the characters well. It is after all, a "Fantasy". What are your views on FFIX. You can list anything you want really, what you liked, what you didn't like and stuff like that. I also think Zidane was a good contrast to the three other main characters of the PSX final fantasies. What're your thoughts?
Post #27718
Posted: 30th January 2004 01:34

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Ramza_HolyKnight @ 29th January 2004 20:25)
I think FFIX was a really great game. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends disagree saying that the graphics were too cartoonish and made the game more childish. I didn't think the graphics got in the way at all, once the story gets underway the graphics represent the characters well. It is after all, a "Fantasy". What are your views on FFIX. You can list anything you want really, what you liked, what you didn't like and stuff like that. I also think Zidane was a good contrast to the three other main characters of the PSX final fantasies. What're your thoughts?

Your friends are right, since graphics are the only thing that matters in video games.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #27720
Posted: 30th January 2004 01:36

Returner

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic pinch.gif

This post has been edited by Ramza_HolyKnight on 30th January 2004 01:36
Post #27721
Posted: 30th January 2004 02:30

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Ramza_HolyKnight @ 29th January 2004 20:36)
I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic  pinch.gif

You're new. Get used to my opinion of graphics whores.
If your buddies ever try using that arguement again, just use that. And the fact that it's an RPG. Graphics have little to no influence on RPG gameplay and quality.

Anyways...FFIX
It's my second favorite FF.
It is one of three of the main-series FFs where characters are distinct and unique, in and out of battle.
It has SO many mini-games and side quests, but they don't get tedious, like most games do.
All the references to former FFs is like a fun easter egg hunt.
The ability system was wonderful.
I liked the Synthesis Shop idea.
Thank you for going back to the "true" FF way (VII and VIII were skews, medieval epics are more interesting)
Card Game is annoyingly fun.
The characters had appropriate amounts of attention and development. The ones who barely got any were Amarant, who is supposed to be the mystery, and Quina, who is just that way.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #27735
Posted: 30th January 2004 02:33

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think he is. unsure.gif

There are a few points in the game where the story barely moves, and the game got so boring after a while that I never finished it. The special abilies of the characters arn't very interesting, in fact I can't even remember what they are. Freya had jump. Heh. It's hard to appreciate a newer FF game that's inferior to the standard set by the earlier games. That's my main point here.

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
Tauu the Windurstian Tarutaru!
White Mage & Paladin
Post #27736
Posted: 30th January 2004 04:44

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I came away from Final Fantasy IX with mixed feelings. Generally, I believe that Final Fantasy IX was awesome for maybe the first two discs, and then everything fell apart from there. There were a lot of good things about the first half of the game, and the size and scope of the world was great. There was also a fun sense of adventure and a slight but intriguing sense of humor. But like I said, it went downhill after the second disc.

The characters, I think, were good overall. I loved Vivi and Blank; they're definitely two of my favorite characters from any Final Fantasy. That being said, I couldn't stand Steiner. He was a gigantic blustering imbecile, and I despised him, as I've oft stated before.

The music and graphics and things were all of Final Fantasy quality, and the gameplay was decent if uninspired. I think the only thing that truly annoyed me was the way that Trance mode would pop up when it came, and left at the end of the battle; there was no way to work the meter strategically. That's just a personal gripe, though.

I guess I'd say that I couldn't love Final Fantasy IX, but I definitely didn't mind it. It was a fun game for a while, that got really tedious and unnecessary at the end. Some really cool characters and a fun first half made it a worthy addition to the series, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Super Moogle on 31st January 2004 06:28

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #27758
Posted: 30th January 2004 16:17

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I really enjoyed FFIX. While I was playing it, I couldn't see any problems, and I can't see very many now.

To me, it was fun, though serious when it needed to be, had an interesting plot that moved at a good pace, and had interesting sidequests (like the coins). I liked the way the towns looked, and how the characters were, and the overall feel of the game was great.

Looking back, though, I know I had trouble with it at certain parts, like that first cave you go in. I didn't level up a lot before, and the enemies killed me, so I ended up having to spend time leveling up. I also was frustrated a few times visually; it was nowhere near as bad as FF7 could be on this aspect, but sometimes I couldn't see where in the graphics I was supposed to move my character to, to touch or activate something.

My favourite characters were Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Freya. Now I can see someone not liking the game if you happen to not like 1 or more of these characters, as they're all fairly important to the story.

I also really loved the music. So much that I actually bought the soundtrack for it, and still listen to it from time to time.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #27785
Posted: 30th January 2004 16:41

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Quote (Ramza_HolyKnight @ 30th January 2004 01:25)
I think FFIX was a really great game. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends disagree saying that the graphics were too cartoonish and made the game more childish.

Aye, ma bum it did. FFIX wasn't childish in any way. And like graphics matter.

I didn't think the graphics got in the way at all, once the story gets underway the graphics represent the characters well. It is after all, a "Fantasy".

And thats exactly the way it should be. And im still struggling to see how exactly the graphics were cartoony in comparison to FF7's Veitnam flashback style graphics.

Anyway...
Zidane. He looks like a monkey... but unlike Squall, wasnt a wee nyaff. Unlike Tedious, wasnt a total and utter bore. And Unlike cloud, wasnt really a looney. So he would lose out in a four way fight, but for non-annoyance, he wins.

I personally think Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, Steiner and Co. were far better characters than most of 8 and 4's.

IX also ahd so many cool FMV's, in comaprison to 7 and 8. while in 9 you had
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
The Chase sequence early on where stiener makes the most miscalutlated swing ever, The chase from Black Waltz 3 goign to Lindblum, Odin wasting cleyra, Atmos take out the industrial sector, Bahamut trash the Alexandrian navy and later , Alexandria.

8 only managed 2 cool-ish FMV's
The bit where quistis Machineguns the robot during the exam and the sequence where the Ragnarok attacks and enters the lunatic pandora.

And 7 again only had a couple
That bit involving a sword and a cetra, the attack on Junon by Weapon, and the ending.

In fact, its the only FF that doesn't have machine guns that i think couldnt use em!

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #27786
Posted: 31st January 2004 01:42

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
I really like FFIX, more than any of the other PSX ones (besides Tactics.) Looking back on it, I don't think I really like the story more than the others, but it moves more consistently. That is, there's no real slow parts like in FFVII and VIII, and no huge plot holes, either. And I agree with Del about the FMVs.

The problems with the game all lie in the battle system. In particular the trance problems SM mentioned, and the queue system is incredibly annoying, especially when fighting an enemy that uses burn attacks on you. Overall though, the story and characters (especially Vivi) are good enough to make it a pretty good game.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #27831
Posted: 31st January 2004 05:44

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I loved the opening sequence FMV to FFVIII.

As far as FFIX goes, I hated:
the tail on the main guy
the rat chick who made me want to vomit
the card game which made no sense
Garnet's new retarded default name of "Dagger"
and Garnet cutting her hair off.

Other than that, I thought the game was pretty awesome, especially the ability learning from armor, weapons, ect.

--------------------
My second daughter, if we have girls, will be named Rikku. I'm not kidding.
Post #27842
Posted: 31st January 2004 06:18

Engineer

Awards:
out of the 11 main FFs 9 is definetly in the top 5. I really don't remmber too much about the sotry line except that
you are fighting some mist that comes out of the ifa (sic) tree, in the end u find out that zidane was sent here to destroy the planet, and that the very last sequence wher you think zidanes dead, but then you find out hes alive.

i remember certain locations and events through out the game, just not too sure why they were there.

as for the characters, ViVi made the game IMO and zidane could kick cloud and squalls butt any day on the personality level, and every other ccharacter was really well done IMO. Especially Amarant, who t me was like a throwback to Shadow heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif...

--------------------
<Nealio> Seymour sounds like evil Winnie the Pooh
Post #27845
Posted: 1st February 2004 03:17

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I personnaly didnt like it. I thought it was to childish(not graphic wise, I dont care for that). Its was to easy, in a sense. Leveling up was barely necessary. The first time I beat it I had no troubles and I was just above level 50. The ability system wasnt that bad, but it was very easy to learn new things. Thus making you progress thruw the game quickly without leveling up. The story wasnt complicated, it was like a straight line. Most of the time you wouldnt have to think about anything, the characters would just say it.

To easy.

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #27897
Posted: 1st February 2004 03:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite FF game, and for plenty of reasons. First, the fun factor. It was by far THE most fun FF game, IMO. The card game, the coins, and all of the other sidequests/mini-games in FFIX were great. I especially found a LOT of satisfaction hearing the chocobo say "KWE-EEHHH!!!" when you've finally dug something up.

Aside from the fun, I thought the story was the best of all FF games, it never really went too slow for me. And it all sums up into the best FF ending ever...whew, I don't think I've ever felt so satisfied in beating a game in my life, except maybe old SNES game...

The graphics too, were excellent. The FMVs were also great, but I still liked VIII's just as much. The "kiddy" look didn't bother me, in fact it gave it more of a "Fantasy" feel. Zidane's tail didn't bother me in the least either, and I'm not a DBZ fan.

As for the characters, they were one of the most memorable casts ever (Quina excepted...). The ending nearly brought a tear to my eye.

As far as music, it's second only to FFVI. "The Place I'll Return to Someday", "Vamo alla Flamenco", "Loss of Me", "Protecting My Devotion", and "You're Not Alone" particulary stood out in my mind.

The battle system, while perhaps lacking in innovation, I was still fine with. The only thing that sucked was, if you wanted to uberize your characters, you'd have to stick them on obsolete equipment till they finally learned that ability. I did love the Synthesis shops though.

FFIX = thumbup.gif

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #27899
Posted: 1st February 2004 04:19

Black Waltz

Awards:
I really enjoyed FFIX for many reasons. First it was a nice change to have all the different types of characters in a game. Before you may have one character that was non-human like Mog or Red XIII. With FFIX it was more like the majority were non-human which was cool, even the main character was not a human. The mini-games were cool to especially Chocobo Hunting and Friendly Monsters. Finally the I loved how they started to used the whole crystals thing in the story like the old FF games and the development of Zidane throughout the game was great.
My favorite part of the game is when Zidane snaps after Garland tortured him and he blew off all his comrades until Dagger saves him

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #27902
Posted: 1st February 2004 05:20

Crusader

Awards:
I love FFIX. This game is downright fun. The atmosphere of the game is what really does it for me - the lively towns, the humour, the great music, the wonderful characters. FFIX has to be my favorite PS Final Fantasy.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #27907
Posted: 3rd February 2004 03:43

Cactuar

Awards:
final fantasy IX is my favorite final fantasy also and for many reasons ill tell them to you.

1. Garnet
2. No Junction
3. Kuja's main theme song
4. Kuja's coolness (not the thong)
5. Bahamauts graphics
6. Getting all the chocographs only to find out you have to break mountainsides
7. Delivering mail for kupos
8. Kupos
9. Eiko
10. Amarants nomercy looks like Ryu's Hadou Ken which is cool
11. teaching everyone auto haste and auto life
12. training on iron giants
13. Synsthesis also
14. Super cool graphics
15. The ending made me wanna cry because it was so emotional and i just felt so connected to the story and i was just so glad it ended the way it ended!!!

Awesome games cant think of all the reasons ill go play it and bring you some more reasons!!! AWESOME GAME

--------------------
"Isn't ramza a girls name?" -me

i havent changed my avatar or anything in a long time! time for a change yall!
Post #28039
Posted: 9th February 2004 11:21

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
They are gonna do it in FFXII too you know, I saw a japanese commercial

*sob* why square why!!!
Post #28704
Posted: 9th February 2004 14:36

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
I just recently started playing FFIX, and it's really a very fun game. The graphics are pretty good, methinks. Cartoonish, but awesome nonetheless.

user posted image

VERY nice FMV sequences. I think the character I've connected most with so far is Zidane, and then probably Vivi.

--------------------
Wow. 1,000 posts.

I miss you all now that I'm in boarding school! ;_;
Post #28709
Posted: 10th February 2004 05:57

Cactuar

Awards:
For me i loved Garnet from the very first sight she is sensitive yet playful. Serious yet funny. She's Great at first she kind of though Zidane was a bad good for nothing person but later she really loved him and THE GREATEST ENDING EVER was this FF. I love Garnet!!!

This post has been edited by RacistAgainstChocobos on 10th February 2004 05:57

--------------------

Post #28799
Posted: 14th February 2004 20:42

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I HATED FFIX
it sucked for me. the only good character was vivi...

all the other ones sucked, especially zidane. I HATE THEM ALL!!!

This post has been edited by l)arkShadow on 14th February 2004 20:43
Post #29363
Posted: 14th February 2004 21:35

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've never played FFIX myself, but I did find this commentary online, which also relates to several other FFs:

http://web.mit.edu/chads/www/gamerev/FFSeries.html

EDIT: Geez, with all these comments, I'm starting to feel I want to play this game just to find out about it.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 15th February 2004 18:53

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #29371
Posted: 15th February 2004 16:44

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (Glenn's Article)
OK characters with little development (Steiner, Vivi,)

That's why you play past Disc One.
Don't trust the article Glenn. It basically says FFVI+ are identical, and just because of the way he decided to play.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #29470
Posted: 15th February 2004 18:02

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
One of my favorite parts of this game: Zidane's Theme. Uematsu captured his character perfectly in this song, IMO.
Listen to Zidane's Theme
Yeah... excellent....

--------------------
Wow. 1,000 posts.

I miss you all now that I'm in boarding school! ;_;
Post #29479
Posted: 18th February 2004 05:12

Cactuar

Awards:
my favorite part was when Kuja rode away on his silver dragon! He looks awesome dont like some of his "clothes" but he is just such a cool character and his music is way better than Zidanes theme.. Well for me it is...

Doesnt it sort of sound like "the beauty and the beast" theme song when she goes into the castle... well to me it does...

--------------------

Post #29781
Posted: 18th February 2004 22:41

Returner

Awards:
stilll havent played the game. i got a fautly disk or something like that and they dont sell it anymore.

--------------------
No, really, they do.
Post #29836
Posted: 20th February 2004 06:13

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
this is probably tied with 7 as my second favorite FF. although its not my favorite, i think i had more fun playing this one than any of the others, and for me, this ended final fantasy. i completely deny the existence of the three made after it, and i think square should have stopped after this one, cuz this was a masterpiece in my mind.

i loved how it had references to the final fantasy games before it, but still kept its originality, i think the characters are great, though im particularly a quina fan because s/he goes so underappreciated, but i mean come on quina rocks (catches frogs and does completely random damage, how can you not like that?). the chocograph quest is probably the most enjoyable side quest ever, and i find myself starting a new file simply so i can do that. the graphics were probably the best done, and although the world map wasnt quite as intricate as 6 or 7, it still had nice effects like the sun setting over the lost continent, constant night over treno, and i always loved the mist over the mist continent in the beginning of the game.

9 doesnt quite have the replay value as some of the others for some reason, but i think the game is definitely worth a play for anyone who hasnt, i think this game has something for everyone in it.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #29993
Posted: 25th February 2004 23:08

Dragoon

Awards:
Quote (Figaro @ 15th February 2004 13:02)
One of my favorite parts of this game: Zidane's Theme. Uematsu captured his character perfectly in this song, IMO.
Listen to Zidane's Theme
Yeah... excellent....

Oh you mean when you are in Garland's Castle after Vivi and Eiko wake him up?

Oh and FFIX is one of my two favorite FF's (FFX is the other)
There was a good cast of characters, The character design is the best out of all the FFs (See the Art of FFIX)

It is an awesome game and had some pretty darn good cinemas too (When you get into memoria at the begining of Disc 4).

And there could be a FFIX-2 due to what the Final Boss says to you when you beat the game.

FFIX had some good music, the best version of the prelude, Dark Messinger, the final boss theme, and the Hunt contest theme. (When you kill monsters 4 points)

This post has been edited by GamblingCat on 25th February 2004 23:11
Post #30655
Posted: 25th February 2004 23:41

Onion Knight

Awards:
Of the 3D Final Fantasies, this is my favorite. Most of the reasons that make me
like this game have been stated, and the song when you are in Garland's Castle after Vivi and Eiko wake Zidane up, which I think is called You are not alone, is my
second best song after the Main Theme from FF4, which is the one from the world
map.

--------------------
I want this world to change for good. I want to see Final Fantasy, the world of swords and magic.
Post #30662
Posted: 26th February 2004 17:06

Cactuar

Awards:
Shouldn't most of these be in spoiler tags? I won't quote any spoilers but I'll just hope they go back and edit their posts. That's the worst thing that anyone can do for a gamer...ugh... dry.gif

--------------------
"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad." - Rincewind

You can be as self-assertive as you like, just so long as you do what you’re told.” - Granny Weatherwax

"When Mr. Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend" - Sam Vimes to Detritus
Post #30725
Posted: 26th February 2004 20:36

Dragoon

Awards:
Quote (Iggy @ 26th February 2004 12:06)
Shouldn't most of these be in spoiler tags? I won't quote any spoilers but I'll just hope they go back and edit their posts. That's the worst thing that anyone can do for a gamer...ugh... dry.gif

Actually Iggy, I am still in need of help 4 figuring out spoilers!
Post #30740
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: