CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Unpopular gaming opinions that you have

Posted: 3rd February 2017 10:06

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
You called SotC "zelda-esque" and meant it. rolleyes-straight.gif

DT logic: Valkyria Chronicles has guns, must be a CoD clone

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #212106
Posted: 3rd February 2017 15:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
OK, here's a totally different opinion so you two will quit bickering like grumpy neighbors over a fence. That's a hint, in case you're wondering, since the last one didn't seem to catch on.

So, here's my opinion: I have zero interest in Overwatch. Not really interested in learning about the gameplay, not interested in the community, not interested in the backstory of the characters or everyone who ships them. Just not going there - and this is a game I probably would actually enjoy, to boot.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212108
Posted: 3rd February 2017 18:09

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 3rd February 2017 10:14)
OK, here's a totally different opinion so you two will quit bickering like grumpy neighbors over a fence. That's a hint, in case you're wondering, since the last one didn't seem to catch on.

So, here's my opinion: I have zero interest in Overwatch. Not really interested in learning about the gameplay, not interested in the community, not interested in the backstory of the characters or everyone who ships them. Just not going there - and this is a game I probably would actually enjoy, to boot.

I feel this way about a lot of things, haha.

I mean sometimes we just write things off and eat our words later. It's all about where you are mentally at the moment and a game's community can completely turn me off from a game.

I get you.

--------------------
Post #212111
Posted: 4th February 2017 03:48

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Overwatch has been presented to me as basically "TF2, but with a new slate of characters".

Note that I do enjoy TF2. I've enjoyed a few hundred hours of it and I still have a positive opinion of it.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but I think it means something about team-based gameplay and/or characters who each individually excel in something while having a weakness in another thing. Or maybe it just means they have outsized personalities and colorfully flashy silliness.

I might have tried it out if it were free but it's $40 so meh. I mean, I already have TF2.

On the other hand, Splatoon was also presented to me as "TF2, but with a new slate of characters", but in this case I knew that it meant a territory-control game with colorfully flashy silliness. And in this case, even the player-characters are kids, so there's even less faux-pride to fight over. And honestly I like the idea of a territory-control games where killing opponents is only a secondary objective and there is a lot of stuff you can do beyond simply racking up kills.

So that's why I'm kicking myself for not spending $250 to get Splatoon but not particularly fazed about ignoring Overwatch.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 4th February 2017 03:50

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212112
Posted: 4th February 2017 13:07

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Undertale failed to interest me in the slightest, and I paid full price for the thing.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212115
Posted: 4th February 2017 15:11

Returner

League of Legends is terrible, Overwatch doesn't interest me whatsoever, and Skyrim is better than Oblivion.

Fight me. :')

This post has been edited by Brunettepudding on 4th February 2017 15:11
Post #212117
Posted: 4th February 2017 17:16

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Brunettepudding @ 4th February 2017 07:11)
League of Legends is terrible, Overwatch doesn't interest me whatsoever, and Skyrim is better than Oblivion.

I think the actual game mechanics of Skyrim is better than Oblivion. Story wise though, Oblivion's plot is more compelling. That being said, I have like 500hrs in Skyrim and less than 20 in Oblivion.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #212118
Posted: 4th February 2017 18:37

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Video Games are a colossal waste of time that could be used to better one's financial situation, spend time deepening human relationships, or composing creative work

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212119
Posted: 4th February 2017 21:17

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Spooniest @ 4th February 2017 08:07)
Undertale failed to interest me in the slightest, and I paid full price for the thing.

That's why I don't pay full price tongue.gif [/snerk]

But honestly I think you have to be in the mood for it.

This should go for pretty much any game, but there are some games that are just more effective than others at setting a mood, and they can sometimes get away with it.

But really you should just leave it there and only play it when you feel like you need that particular game in your life. Not just any game, but that game in particular. Then you'll likely enjoy it a lot more.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212123
Posted: 5th February 2017 03:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 4th February 2017 16:17)
Quote (Spooniest @ 4th February 2017 08:07)

That's why I don't pay full price tongue.gif [/snerk]

But honestly I think you have to be in the mood for it.

This should go for pretty much any game, but there are some games that are just more effective than others at setting a mood, and they can sometimes get away with it.

But really you should just leave it there and only play it when you feel like you need that particular game in your life. Not just any game, but that game in particular. Then you'll likely enjoy it a lot more.

It's true that all things seem to have an appropriate timing to them, I would agree.

Is it weird that I get where all three of the names Glenn Magus and Harvey come from and are referencing? ...Anyway I digress...but that is kind of a penultimate Squaresofty name

Undertale was just...hm...I felt like it was speaking to a childish innocence that I either cannot place my mind into the same "mental space" as anymore, or it's possible I never possessed such childish innocence. I may not be the kind of person who would enjoy a game where you have a constant moral choice to kill or spare monsters based on their presented demeanor to you. But I get the statement it's making about gaming in general, how the constant simulated combat dehumanizes a person.

That's an interesting statement for a game to make in the time Undertale came out, but tbh, I watched it fall on the deafest ears connected to the loudest mouths, and it wasn't pretty, and I tried to stay out of it, and ugh. "Uffa," as my girlfriend if fond of saying.

Anyway...going back and playing it after the fact, I realized why it produced such a shockwave of idealism vs. cynicism on the internet, and to be honest with you, the fact that people argued so bitterly over it (I only know that they did, I refrained from engaging in the discourse about it) kind of spoils the basic premise of it; the game is centered around the idea of whether a person will choose to have empathy for beheld emotional states in what the genre (RPGs) tells them are their enemies.

It's not unlike Dragon Quest in that it shows you a single enemy at once (at least in the part I played), but that enemy's emotional state is made apparent to you; does this enemy want to fight you or not? You have a choice of killing it anyway or letting it go, showing mercy.

It is interesting and I understand my choices change the gameplay, possibly in myriad forms I am totally unprepared for in any way...but eeeeehhhhhhhh

That's just too deep for me. I'm a 90s gamer, I don't like things that go over 65535. biggrin.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212124
Posted: 5th February 2017 04:56

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Spooniest @ 4th February 2017 22:58)
Is it weird that I get where all three of the names Glenn Magus and Harvey come from and are referencing? ...Anyway I digress...but that is kind of a penultimate Squaresofty name

I've been thinking of changing it for a while now. The problem is I've already used it in so many places, and for so many years.
Undertale was just...hm...I felt like it was speaking to a childish innocence that I either cannot place my mind into the same "mental space" as anymore, or it's possible I never possessed such childish innocence. I may not be the kind of person who would enjoy a game where you have a constant moral choice to kill or spare monsters based on their presented demeanor to you. But I get the statement it's making about gaming in general, how the constant simulated combat dehumanizes a person.

Incidentally, I decided -- something around the tail end of the Undertale hype phenomenon -- that it's actually something I might want to play. I had previously only been interested in the music, but felt mixed about it due to the hype. But then I had an inspiration. Or I dreamed about it. Or something like that. Actually I think I dreamed about it, yeah.

But the most important thing is, at this point, I know something that a normal player doesn't already know. And thus, something that, in a way, not even the game's characters "know". I already know that the game can be branched into multiple endings, including one where you spare everyone, one where you fail to do so, and one where you kill everyone. And I already know that the game is designed on the premise that you go into it expecting to kill some monsters and then have the experience turned on its head.

So now I'm going in knowing this. It'll be a different experience, akin to a certain character's experience in the anime series Puella Magi Madoka Magica -- basically knowing the potential outcome of a scenario already, before playing it. And so the experience I'll have, the process I'll go through, won't be the same process of discovery -- it'll be the process of trying to figure out what can go wrong, and why.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 5th February 2017 04:57

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212127
Posted: 5th February 2017 23:26

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Quote (Kame @ 4th February 2017 17:16)
Quote (Brunettepudding @ 4th February 2017 07:11)

I think the actual game mechanics of Skyrim is better than Oblivion. Story wise though,

Agreed.

Well the quest writing, especially in the guilds was a lot better in Oblivion, but I actually preferred Skyrim's main quest over Oblivion's.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #212130
Posted: 13th February 2017 18:32

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 5th February 2017 17:26)
Well the quest writing, especially in the guilds was a lot better in Oblivion, but I actually preferred Skyrim's main quest over Oblivion's.

I agree with this as well. The main quest for Skyrim is far more interesting to me. But the guilds in Oblivion where all a gem to quest through.

Next opinion: I think the Tales of games are just as good as the Final Fantasy games and are criminally underrated. Not saying I have a favorite of the two though. I love them both equally.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212166
Posted: 13th March 2017 04:09

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Not an unpopular opinion, really, but an unpopular...thinking pattern?

So it turns out that I've been confusing:
* The Last of Us
* The Last Remnant
* The Last Story

Specifically, anytime someone (including some people here) mentioned The Last of Us, the picture that popped into my head was The Last Remnant, but if you actually asked me to name this game, prompting me with "The Last something", I would call it "The Last Story", and I'd tell you that it's a Squenix game featuring a dark greenish cover with a guy on it.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th March 2017 04:09

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212396
Posted: 13th March 2017 08:33

Black Waltz

Awards:
All we need now is a game called The Last Forever and we'll really be up sh__ creek

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212399
Posted: 14th March 2017 00:33

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Well my unpopular FF-related opinion is that Final Fantasy XIII had a really good cast of main characters. I really have a place in my heart for all 6 of them. Vanille is a complex, interesting character (if you can get past the annoying battle scene squeals). Sure she's obnoxious in the beginning,
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
but once you see past her facade she's really great to watch. Her scenes with Sazh in Nautilus are so heart-wrenching. It's always refreshing to me to see a character that regrets harming anybody.

I'm also partway through FFXIII-2 at the moment and I really don't hate it.

--------------------
Post #212405
Posted: 17th March 2017 23:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
...You know, this isn't really an opinion but I'll share it anyway.

I am a Hemophobe. That is not someone who is afraid gay people want to turn them gay, hehe, it is the fear of blood and bleeding.

If I see the red stuff, and it gets too close to the real edge of what's called the 'uncanny valley?' (look it up on tvtropes.org) Nauseau, dizziness, and 10 minutes of that until I pass out if I don't get a glass of water and breathe. I then become covered in a cold sweat as I recover.

No, it is not instantaneous fainting like on Frasier where Dr. Niles Crane has hemophobia. It is drawn out and excruciating and horrible, and you feel like crap afterwards.

Been this way since I was a kid.

Anyway, this makes very realistically violent games totally off limits to me. I would faint on the spot. Gotta close my eyes a lot when I watch streams of modern stuff.

:/ Kind of been kicked out of gaming at this point, really. Too much violent stuff = Spoony stays on this side of the river, kids.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212437
Posted: 18th March 2017 09:22

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I've never really liked how mainstream western gaming had an obsession with "realism" that basically amounted to an obsession with needlesly gory violence.

If you want I can help rec some good games that don't have blood effects (or ones where you can turn it off).

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212439
Posted: 19th March 2017 05:03

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 18th March 2017 04:22)
I've never really liked how mainstream western gaming had an obsession with "realism" that basically amounted to an obsession with needlesly gory violence.

If you want I can help rec some good games that don't have blood effects (or ones where you can turn it off).

If you please. Why don't we make a separate thread?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212443
Posted: 31st March 2017 03:26

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 18th March 2017 04:22)

I agree with this. I think it comes with the hardware.

Developers don't know how to make stylized violence and everything is focused of hyper-realism now. It's not fun.

--------------------
Post #212494
Posted: 31st March 2017 03:50
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Post #212495
Posted: 1st April 2017 12:09

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 30th March 2017 22:50)

No. It's not just how it looks, it's how its executed.

Tomb Raider (2013) is a perfect example. It's very photorealistic, I touched on this in another thread.

But the violence and gore is HYPER-realistic. Hyperrealism is an advancement of photorealism.

Photorealism is more literal; We're talking things like proportioned bodies, symmetrical faces, flawless complexions. You shoot someone, they fall and blood pools.

Hyperrealism takes it another step further. It utilizes photorealism to convey unrealistic representations of violence, gore and even things like nature. Whereas photorealism creates an accurate and literal depiction of something, hyperrealism depicts something illusionary in a realistic way as if it actually happened or happens as it is depicted.

Example: You shoot someone and blood flies everywhere, splashes the screen, covers your avatar and is unrealistically excessive, yet it's executed in a photorealistic manner. It looks real, it feels real but we know it's not only unrealistic, it borders on being physically impossible except within the confines of an artificial world.

EDIT: Examples for clarity.

The ORIGINAL Evil Dead trilogy and the recent TV series, Ash vs. Evil Dead is stylized violence. It's silly, over the top, unrealistic, excessively gory and nothing about it is rooted in reality. Django Unchained, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Shoot Em Up are all stylized violence.

McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Passion of the Christ, Saving Private Ryan, and Gladiator all contain some form of graphic or realistic violence.

The Walking Dead is hyperrealistic. It's photorealistic but excessively gory. The Jason Bourne movies are hyperealistic.

Videogame examples:

Fallout 1 & 2 were stylized violence. Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 are hyperrealism.

The Last of Us is graphic violence. Metal Gear Solid is stylized violence. Call of Duty is hyperrealism.

There's a thin line and some things are meant to be stylized, yet end up hyperrealistic. Some things intend to be graphic, yet end up hyperrealistic. Some things intend to be hperrealisitc yet end up stylized.

Rarely, though, is something meant to be stylized or hyperrealistic actually graphic or realistic.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 1st April 2017 12:44

--------------------
Post #212501
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: