CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
any suggestions

Posted: 2nd May 2015 13:50

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
so ive played ff7 ff12. I want to get another one so any suggestions (not ff4 or ff6)

--------------------
The people I've met and the places I've been all have made me the man I so proudly am.-Scott Mescudi
Post #208671
Posted: 2nd May 2015 17:52

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Oh that's easy, FF. . . wait why not 4 or 6? Try FF Tactics (the original one for PSX or the PSP remake titled War of the Lions).

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #208672
Posted: 2nd May 2015 20:06

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I was wondering why not also. But if I didn't have those, I would either go to IX or X next.

--------------------
Post #208673
Posted: 2nd May 2015 21:20

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
It probably boils down to V or IX for a main series game then. I've only played a little bit of V but from what I've played it has an excellent character customization system, which makes the character archetypes a bit more distinct than VII's, albeit the cost of some flexibility.

Final Fantasy Tactics improves upon the character system used in V but it plays a little more like a board game than mains series games. The story also does a good job at establishing character motivations.

I haven't played IX but I do know that others here would recommend it wholeheartedly at this point in time. I think the biggest complaint is that the graphics are a bit "cartoony." However stylized graphics tend to age better than realistic ones and its a later game in the console's cycle so it probably aged better than VII.

Also it's not a Final Fantasy or even a Square-Enix game but if you can get it, Skies of Arcadia might also be worth a look since it's very much like Final Fantasy VII.

This post has been edited by Tonepoet on 2nd May 2015 21:20

--------------------
Post #208676
Posted: 3rd May 2015 20:23

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Tonepoet @ 2nd May 2015 17:20)
Also it's not a Final Fantasy or even a Square-Enix game but if you can get it, Skies of Arcadia might also be worth a look since it's very much like Final Fantasy VII.

Good luck finding Skies of Arcadia. I have been trying to find that game at a reasonable price for years. Because Nintendo apparently wants to forget that the Gamecube ever existed.

--------------------
Post #208687
Posted: 3rd May 2015 20:31

Black Mage

Awards:
I'd recommend Tactics Advance, Tactics, X.
Just curious, why are IV and VI not options?

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #208689
Posted: 3rd May 2015 20:44

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
If you're only considering Square-Enix games (and not FF IV or FF VI, which is puzzling) then I'd recommend FF IX, FF X, FF Tactics, or Chrono Trigger. I mean, these are the classics we're talking about.

--------------------
Post #208691
Posted: 6th May 2015 16:21

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Mr. Matt, you're gonna have to tell us why not 4 and 6 before all our heads explode.

Anyway, play the first one, I say, then play them all in order. It's the only way to appreciate the series as a whole.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208719
Posted: 6th May 2015 21:34

Onion Knight

Awards:
Im sorry I didnt mean I dont want to play iv or vi
I just meant that im already trying to get them

--------------------
The people I've met and the places I've been all have made me the man I so proudly am.-Scott Mescudi
Post #208724
Posted: 7th May 2015 01:01

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (MattMescudi @ 6th May 2015 17:34)
Im sorry I didnt mean I dont want to play iv or vi
I just meant that im already trying to get them

That's good, lol. I thought everyone at CoN was going to riot!

--------------------
Post #208725
Posted: 18th May 2015 03:29

Onion Knight

Awards:
iv and vi are the most recommended but i would really like to know how their stories are ranked (without any spoilers please)

--------------------
Post #208772
Posted: 18th May 2015 11:13

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Of all the FFs I think VI, VII, and Tactics have the best stories. I can't really say I would rank them numerically though, because they fill different niches plot-wise.

FFVI has a ton of characters who all have their own stakes in the grand battle much like all other FFs, but in this one there's no focus on mainly one or two characters. You actually get to see each character's arc resolve to fill a part of the bigger picture. Playing FFVI is kind of like reading an anthology of stories told from different viewpoints instead of a single linear story. Some major themes I like in this one are resurgence of magic from a dormant or forgotten state, things that motivate people in times of trouble, and finding hope in seemingly hopeless situations. I think FFVI also has by far the best ending of all the FF games I've played. It leaves you feeling very satisfied.

FFVII has fewer characters and only a couple of them get a lot of deep character development (mostly Cloud and Tifa). The themes I like in VII are the mystery of what really happened, the exploration of memory and identity, and the environmental themes of technological progress versus conservation.

FF Tactics has a completely different game mechanic from the main series as it is a strategy RPG. Unlike the others it allows you to create a group of generics to help your battle so you can add a more personal touch by naming and customizing your units (or you can just stick to the story characters if that's your thing). Thematically, Tactics is about political intrigue and religion (how it develops over time and how it can be used as a form of control and a base for power). It also touches on the plight of the poor in an aristocratic conflict. The story mirrors European history if you like that kind of thing.

Hope this helps, I know you played VII already, but you asked how the stories rank and I'd say these are my top 3 in no particular order.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #208775
Posted: 18th May 2015 13:26

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Of the stories, you can't go wrong with VI or VII.

Try to play War of the Lions if you play Tactics...the story is much better when properly rendered.

IV has a good story too! But it's quite a bit more traditional.

The first three games are light on story due to the NES being somewhat limited in it's hardware capabilities. V has an odd story, but it is still a story...the cast is smaller than most games, and the focus is very much on the gameplay rather than anything revolutionary in terms of plot. Still, the music is great.

VIII and IX are very romantically infused, if that's your thing.

X and onward are unfamiliar to me for the most part, I never got into the later games. I did play through X and X-2 but it's been many years and it was just the one time.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208776
Posted: 27th May 2015 19:23

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Story is the most important part of a game for me, so I'm happy to weigh in! My favorite Final Fantasy plot by far is FF10. FF6 comes in at second place; after that it's a bit tie. I remain a fan of FF8, despite it's somewhat wonky aspects; FF7 is, of course, a classic; I found the plot of FF9 surprisingly endearing; FF13 has some of the best character development in the entire series. I see that FF10 isn't getting quite as much love as I'd like, so I'll re-iterate: that game has my favorite plot in all videogaming wub.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #208838
Posted: 28th May 2015 17:59

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Death Penalty @ 27th May 2015 20:23)
Story is the most important part of a game for me, so I'm happy to weigh in! My favorite Final Fantasy plot by far is FF10. FF6 comes in at second place; after that it's a bit tie. I remain a fan of FF8, despite it's somewhat wonky aspects; FF7 is, of course, a classic; I found the plot of FF9 surprisingly endearing; FF13 has some of the best character development in the entire series. I see that FF10 isn't getting quite as much love as I'd like, so I'll re-iterate: that game has my favorite plot in all videogaming wub.gif

so.... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 13? Nicely narrowed down DP wink.gif

I do agree with the main gist of your comment though. The story in 10 is awesome, and I too am a firm fan of 8 & 9, despite their allegedly diminuished reputations in many corners.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #208849
Posted: 29th May 2015 04:50

Behemoth

Awards:
VI and IX are both my favorite for story for one reason: character development. I like FFX's plot too, almost as well as FFVI's, but FFVI did a better job with telling its story, and simplifying its story to allow greater characterization. That made me more invested in the story. FFVII does a great job with that too. I would also say about FFIV, that it was probably the most ambitious game of the series in terms of story. It had all sorts of crazy things, from the underground to spaceflight, dwarves, mechs, and fat chocobos! While some of the characterization was not as nuanced as it was in the later titles, I think that you'll find the characters endearing.

--------------------
Post #208862
Posted: 13th June 2015 17:43

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Play FF Adventure, FF Legend, and FF Mystic Quest.

Just kidding.

The well-regarded games from between FF7 and FF12 are 9 and 10. 9 I've heard is like a neoclassical FF with elements from the earlier games.

If you like 3D and modern storytelling sensibilities you could also check out FF3's and FF4's 3D remakes.

FF8 is very story-heavy but is not that well-regarded for its gameplay.

FF 1, 3, and 5 all have selectable job classes, if you're in the mood for that.
In a similar but not the same vein, FFT and FFTA have party-building.

FF11 and FF14 are MMORPGs and I presume that's not what you want.

FF13 is a three-part game I think and I always think it looks interesting but I keep hearing that the first game is badly designed and feels very linear. I've heard better things about XIII-2.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th June 2015 17:49

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209114
Posted: 14th June 2015 03:38

Behemoth

Awards:
FF8 has a good story... but characters? ... Eh

--------------------
Post #209127
Posted: 14th June 2015 05:26

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
FF8 is only the SECOND-best 1999 PS1 RPG about a group of teenagers that store summoned beings in their mind but ACTUALLY were childhood friends with inhibited memories of their prior friendship, teaming up to save the world after being separated for ~10 years.

Really.

--------------------
Post #209132
Posted: 14th June 2015 21:53

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 14th June 2015 01:26)
FF8 is only the SECOND-best 1999 PS1 RPG about a group of teenagers that store summoned beings in their mind but ACTUALLY were childhood friends with inhibited memories of their prior friendship, teaming up to save the world after being separated for ~10 years.

Really.

Yep, very true! It's got a firm hold on the second spot in that category... unless there's another game from that year!?

I have to say though, that I loved the Laguna sequences of the game, but that may be because all of the other characters were so unlikable that it felt like an oasis in a desert of characterization!

--------------------
Post #209138
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: