CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
F4: #4 Liberi Fatali (FF8) v. #5 Corridors of Time (CT)

Which song is your favorite?
Liberi Fatali [ 5 ]  [55.56%]
Corridors of Time [ 4 ]  [44.44%]
Total Votes: 9

Posted: 12th December 2017 15:10

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Liberi Fatali reached the final four by most recently kicking off Final Fantasy X' Ending Theme. Before that, it was fairly tight races after the first round. Corridors of Time hasn't really been too stretched so far in this competition, with its most narrow win coming last round against Searching for Friends.

While some websites saw jokes about Final Fantasy VIII go too far over the years, there's one thing that nobody can question about that game: Liberi Fatali is the best-known music that game has. It's got that chorus of voices chanting faux Latin (and then real Latin!), and the angry drums of war beneath soaring fanfare. This is a track made for Distant Worlds, where it's been in rotation for many years.

Corridors of Time is the overworld theme for the Kingdom of Zeal, and it brings a soothing melody and beat to the environment to match the idyllic setting in which Crono and crew find themselves upon arrival. Understandably, it shares some characteristics with Schala's Theme, another entry in these brackets which lost out a while back.
Post #214151
Posted: 12th December 2017 15:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214155
Posted: 14th December 2017 05:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
If only I'd allowed fan remixes. But I didn't.

Given that, I'm again going back to fundamentals: Liberi Fatali has a much bigger impact on me than Corridors of Time.

Again, Corridors of Time isn't a bad track -- it's just not everything I'd hoped it'd be.

I actually just now realized that Corridors of Time is apparently meant to feature sitar and tabla. Which is pretty cool.

Though this doesn't change my preference in this case. I didn't think it really worked that well? I dunno. Maybe it's because I felt that Zeal was supposed to represent "paradise" (or an attempt at making a tiny little corner of paradise, at least), rather than something "exotic"? That said, maybe it's not about being exotic, since I think I would have enjoyed it more had the melody been set an octave higher.

I haven't heard Liberi Fatali in-game, yet I'm voting for it anyway. While it may be a case of where a theme is really cool but turns out to have a different purpose in-game (e.g. Cait Sith's really cool jazzy theme being a little wasted on the weirdo that he is), I doubt that's going to make me like the theme less.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 14th December 2017 05:27

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214170
Posted: 15th December 2017 12:30

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey)
I haven't heard Liberi Fatali in-game, yet I'm voting for it anyway. While it may be a case of where a theme is really cool but turns out to have a different purpose in-game (e.g. Cait Sith's really cool jazzy theme being a little wasted on the weirdo that he is), I doubt that's going to make me like the theme less.

It sort of doesn't play in-game, but I guess that depends on whether you consider the intro FMV in-game. In this case, you might find that the theme is really cool, but the rest of the game doesn't fully live up to the potential.

But I'm having a hard time choosing, because both tracks are really good. Liberi Fatali is epic, and it beautifully ties into the theme of the game. But Corridors of Time does as well, and it's got a lot of unique things going on in the arrangement. It perfectly evokes the area/time that it is representing in the game's story. Yet, Liberi Fatali is unquestionably iconic. So, I'm not sure yet.

--------------------
Post #214186
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll