CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
E8: #5 Corridors of Time (CT) v. #7 Searching for Friends (FF6)

Which song is your favorite?
Corridors of Time [ 9 ]  [56.25%]
Searching for Friends [ 7 ]  [43.75%]
Total Votes: 16

Posted: 6th December 2017 16:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Three Elite Eight matchups feature a CT song, an incredibly strong showing for its appearance this year. Corridors of Time never had a problem up until now, beating The Dark Messenger, The Great Warrior, and (sadface) Blinded By Light. Searching for Friends had a pretty light load as well, dispatching Crazy Motorcycle Chase, Clash on the Big Bridge, and Cid's Theme so far.

Corridors of Time is the overworld theme for the Kingdom of Zeal, and it brings a soothing melody and beat to the environment to match the idyllic setting in which Crono and crew find themselves upon arrival. Understandably, it shares some characteristics with Schala's Theme, another entry in these brackets which lost out a while back.

Searching for Friends is likely better known as the overworld theme for the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI, with its title made obvious to anyone who has completed that game. Most people reading this probably already have its melody in their heads, with hours upon hours spent hearing it over the years. It won a couple matchups last time before falling to Cyan's Theme in round 3.
Post #214089
Posted: 7th December 2017 12:41

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214094
Posted: 7th December 2017 22:10

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Ah, both are pretty tracks which feel slightly flawed in their original arrangements.

Going by the two tracks as given, I find Searching for Friends has the more convincing melody. Uematsu's better at melody than Mitsuda is.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 7th December 2017 22:11

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214098
Posted: 8th December 2017 02:36

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Yep, both are memorable tracks that I enjoy. Corridors of Time seems more unique and exotic in style, though, so I'll go with that one.

--------------------
Post #214099
Posted: 8th December 2017 23:07

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I expected this one to be an easy choice for me in favor of Corridors of Time, but when I got here I suddenly felt a lot of difficulty. I can already see how I'd begun convincing myself of Searching for Friends' greatness in the last round:
I'm with EE that this is probably the least impressive matchup still standing, and I'm also with him on the vote for Searching for Friends. The trade-off between the mid-range-horns-sounding-synth and the flutes-sounding-synth in the chorus, the way the melody and the bass line dance around and intertwine with each other: these are both excellent without being overstated. It's a very good track, whose ubiquitous-ness has, if anything, detracted from it.

But, in the end, I went with Corridors of Time. It actually utilizes many of these same techniques, trading-off melody into different midi registers and building syncopation out of the bass/perc line on the low end and the chimes arpeggios on the high end. This allows it to hover at a tempo capable of registering as both assured and uncertain, driven and mysterious - perfect for the corridors of time.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #214121
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll