CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R3: #7 Searching for Friends (FF6) v. #11 Cid's Theme (FF7)

Which song is your favorite?
Searching for Friends [ 9 ]  [64.29%]
Cid's Theme [ 5 ]  [35.71%]
Total Votes: 14

Posted: 28th November 2017 18:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Searching for Friends knocked off a favorite last round, handily beating Clash on the Big Bridge. Before that, it handled Crazy Motorcycle Chase. Cid's Theme bumped off The Oath from FF8 in round one, and then also won in what might be considered an upset over Forever Rachel.

Searching for Friends is likely better known as the overworld theme for the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI, with its title made obvious to anyone who has completed that game. Most people reading this probably already have its melody in their heads, with hours upon hours spent hearing it over the years.

In a very different vein, Cid's Theme is a bold and confident character theme with a lot of fanfare-style horns, appropriate for the man himself. You'll hear it for the first time when he cusses you out for trying to borrow the Tiny Bronco, if you're so inclined.
Post #214001
Posted: 28th November 2017 19:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214005
Posted: 30th November 2017 17:10

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I voted for Searching For Friends, but really I'm disappointed in the matchup here as probably any of the other remaining tracks are better than it, except Cid's Theme. I don't know how people aren't tired of hearing Searching For Friends, considering how much you hear it in the World of Ruin.
Post #214032
Posted: 30th November 2017 19:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I find Cid's Theme to be more convincing of the two.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214033
Posted: 30th November 2017 20:32

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 30th November 2017 13:10)
I voted for Searching For Friends, but really I'm disappointed in the matchup here as probably any of the other remaining tracks are better than it, except Cid's Theme. I don't know how people aren't tired of hearing Searching For Friends, considering how much you hear it in the World of Ruin.

I'm with EE that this is probably the least impressive matchup still standing, and I'm also with him on the vote for Searching for Friends. The trade-off between the mid-range-horns-sounding-synth and the flutes-sounding-synth in the chorus, the way the melody and the bass line dance around and intertwine with each other: these are both excellent without being overstated. It's a very good track, whose ubiquitous-ness has, if anything, detracted from it.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #214038
Posted: 1st December 2017 14:39

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Cid's theme shouldn't have even gotten past the first round, although I guess its previous competition wasn't that much better. Whatevs, Searching for Friends'll (hopefully) put a stop to it here.

--------------------
Post #214043
Posted: 1st December 2017 18:11
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Y'know, I'd like to think I'm a better person than this, but honestly I prolly still would've voted for a FFVI track over a FFVII, even if it wasn't one that sounds like generic movie trailer music played by a kazoo.

--------------------
Post #214048
Posted: 4th December 2017 18:39

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 30th November 2017 12:10)
I don't know how people aren't tired of hearing Searching For Friends, considering how much you hear it in the World of Ruin.

This is largely why I'm voting Cid's Theme. I don't get tired of it the same way I do the FFVI track. And again, the heart that's buried in the piece is so poignant.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #214083
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll