CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R3: #16 Blinded By Light (FF13) v. #5 Corridors of Time (CT)

Which song is your favorite?
Blinded By Light [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
Corridors of Time [ 11 ]  [73.33%]
Total Votes: 15

Posted: 28th November 2017 18:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Blinded By Light shows how our seeding might not have been the most accurate, as a bottom seed with two wins under its belt, over The Decisive Battle (FF5) and Cry of the Planet (FF7). Corridors of Time, meanwhile, hasn't had a tough test yet after beating The Dark Messenger (FF9) and The Great Warrior (FF7).

Blinded By Light is the main battle theme in this competition from this decade. I don't think I'm alone in numbering this among my personal favorite battle themes in the series, with its opening ear-catching melody building into a sort of soaring chorus dropping straight back down to the opening again. It's a theme played repeatedly in the 13 series that to me doesn't get old.

Corridors of Time is the overworld theme for the Kingdom of Zeal, and it brings a soothing melody and beat to the environment to match the idyllic setting in which Crono and crew find themselves upon arrival. Understandably, it shares some characteristics with Schala's Theme, another entry in these brackets.
Post #214000
Posted: 28th November 2017 19:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214004
Posted: 30th November 2017 17:08

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
One of the toughest votes for me, but I am going to give the edge to Blinded By Light. It's just so great, so much so that I would wager a half dozen other tracks borrow from it in FF13 and FF13-2 and slow it down, etc.

I don't want Corridors of Time to go, though sad.gif
Post #214031
Posted: 30th November 2017 19:21

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Another difficult comparison. Corridors Of Time is straightforward and has a beautiful melody, but has some awkward instrumentation, while Blinded By Light is an exciting rhythm and rich texture, but is less melodically interesting.

I think I'll pick Corridors Of Time as far as finding an icon goes.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214035
Posted: 30th November 2017 20:21

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
This is one of those cases where the seeding is really interesting. I can totally see why Blinded by Light got seeded low: it's great, but it's also from a more recent title, one that we aren't accustomed to discussing in this kind of "best of the series" conversation. The way this competition is structured is, I think, optimally suited for recognizing standout tracks like these that simply don't have the same, shall we say, "program history."

But should it win over Corridors of Time? After a fair deal of work procrastination, I'm going to say yes. But honestly, I have no explanatory justification here: they're two completely evenly matched tracks, in my ears, and if I were to listen again in 24 hours I could just as easily go the other way.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #214037
Posted: 30th November 2017 21:37

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Wow, this is a really tight matchup. Don't know which way I'm voting yet

--------------------
Post #214039
Posted: 1st December 2017 22:12

Black Mage

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2010. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoNCAA, 2008. 
See More (Total 10)
Tough matchup.

Ultimately I decided to go with Corridors of Time simply for its presence in the game. The music box melody with the midi sitar produces a dreamlike song for a very pivotal part of the game: the Awakening of Lavos.

While Blinded by Light is a fantastic track, ultimately its a typical battle track and heard a lot throughout the game. Once Zeal is gone, the track is gone.

--------------------
And have you found your joy, in this near dead world of ours?
Post #214052
Posted: 2nd December 2017 00:59

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Oooh, tough match on paper, because Blinded by Light is one of the great battle themes of all time, but Corridors of Time is one of the greatest VG compositions ever, and was my #1 pick in this tournament.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #214055
Posted: 4th December 2017 00:34

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Harlequin @ 30th November 2017 21:37)
Wow, this is a really tight matchup. Don't know which way I'm voting yet

I just remembered that I had Corridors of Time in my top 15 to begin with. Whoops, ha. Well that decided it.

--------------------
Post #214062
Posted: 4th December 2017 04:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Funny thing: Now that I actually know Blinded By Light, half the time I try to think of it I think of the "dark world as a bunny" theme from Zelda LTTP instead.

Has the same rhythm.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214063
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll