CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R3: #1 Frog's Theme (CT) v. #4 Balance is Restored (FF6)

Which song is your favorite?
Frog's Theme [ 7 ]  [41.18%]
Balance is Restored [ 10 ]  [58.82%]
Total Votes: 17

Posted: 27th November 2017 17:20

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
This one should be a doozy. Frog's Theme crushed Ahead on Our Way in a shutout in R1, followed by a much closer matchup over FF4's Fight 2 in R2. It's up against a far sterner test now, the ending theme from Final Fantasy VI. It shut out The Big Whale and then squeaked by Phantom Forest to get here.

A classic heroic character's theme takes the third #1 seed and the first by Chrono Trigger. Bending, high-pitched notes evoke an Eastern feel backed by a determined marching drumbeat, echoing the nature of the valiant amphibian. This song got the most nomination points of any song that was new to the competition this year.

I don't think I'd ever heard the ending theme to Final Fantasy VI called by the name "Balance is Restored" until setting up this competition, but it makes total sense. This track is kind of a cheater's favorite, I think, since it mashes up so many wonderful themes into an overture. But, that doesn't take away from just how good it is, a song that is very much greater than the sum of its parts and composed perfectly to address the visuals it accompanies.
Post #213990
Posted: 27th November 2017 20:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213994
Posted: 29th November 2017 01:46

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Sheesh. Tough call, here!
I had a good listen to both, and was intent on going with Balance Restored... but Frog still held onto me, despite the various highs and lows of the former's emotional and musical roller coaster.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #214010
Posted: 29th November 2017 17:24

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Yeah, this one feels kind like cheating... Balance Restored encompasses almost everything that makes the FFVI soundtrack great, and it does so with transitions that are frankly amazing in their own right. I have to imagine this was a lot of fun to arrange: Uematsu, having already written all the character themes, gets the go-ahead to play around with combining them all into one.

Frog's Theme is good, but it's had a fairly easy path so far; I think I would've had it losing to almost every other track that made it this far. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Balance Restored against a stronger opponent in the next matchup.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #214015
Posted: 29th November 2017 22:06

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Frog's theme, cuz it has a unique character all its own, and is just plain catchier.

This post has been edited by Galsic on 29th November 2017 22:10

--------------------
Post #214018
Posted: 30th November 2017 19:42

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
While I really like Frog's Theme, it is a bit "one-note", and Balance Is Restored has the same natural advantage that Dancing Mad has, which is a wide variety of musical material contained within the track. Then again, Dancing Mad did just lose a round...

Now, an open question is whether I should count an official remix. So far I've declined to count unofficial remixes, such as CT Resurrection's Corridors of Time, but this version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4m8bmn5o4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoFCYDlw-E (extended version)
is apparently used in the PS1 rerelease in an added cutscene. It's missing the intro segment, but substitutes in a different intro segment and gives it a lot more emotional depth.

Meanwhile Balance Is Restore does have the issue that it's composed around what it's supposed to accompany, so it sometimes doesn't flow quite as well. But it does have some really nice moments, such as layering Locke's theme with Celes's theme. And it does have the Final Fantasy Main Theme at the end.

I think I'll just go with Balance Is Restored.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #214036
Posted: 3rd December 2017 09:18

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
In my head, I'm picturing a votesplit based entirely on who has beaten FF6 and seen the ending. Reality is most certainly different. My own vote does fit the presumption; I'm one of those who has beaten FF6 and prefer its ending theme.
Post #214060
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll