CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R2: #15 Chrono Trigger v. #7 Main Theme (FF15)

Which song is your favorite?
Chrono Trigger (Crono's Theme) [ 9 ]  [64.29%]
Main Theme [ 4 ]  [28.57%]
Total Votes: 13

Posted: 18th November 2017 14:54

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
This should be a fun one. Chrono Trigger smashed up the FF7 airship theme pretty brutally in round one, while the Main Theme from Final Fantasy XV pulled out a win over a pretty famous FF8 song, The Landing.

A newcomer this year is Crono's character theme, Chrono Trigger. While Crono doesn't necessarily start out as Time's Hero, there's no questioning his spirit of adventure, and adventure is the primary theme I can hear in this track. Listen long enough to get to the emotional bridge.

Another new entry from the newest game in the series, Main Theme from Final Fantasy XV took a #7 seed. It is, as described, the Main Theme of Final Fantasy, sometimes known as the Crystal Theme. This arrangement ups the ante significantly, with chimes and a deep string section leading into a piano melody and a huge crescendo of horns. Like the game or not, this track makes a strong argument for being the definitive version of the theme.
Post #213911
Posted: 20th November 2017 16:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213937
Posted: 21st November 2017 20:44

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Wow, the main theme of Chrono Trigger vs. the main theme of Final Fantasy.

Well, for this specific version of the latter, it's really grand and would serve as a definitive opening fanfare in the style of the glowy Walt Disney Pictures logo skits.

But occasional parts of it feel like they're just fanciness for the fun of it, rather than really contributing to the emotional weight of the fanfare.

My vote goes to Chrono Trigger's main theme, with its resolute spirit, its contrasting emotions between the A and C section and B section melodies, and the fact that the beginning could go perfectly with opening the doors to a grand adventure at the break of dawn, with a very strong sense of purpose.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 21st November 2017 20:46

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213952
Posted: 21st November 2017 21:27

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
This is a very tough matchup, and I'm a bit shocked in its turn, but largely not, either.
I'm going with the Main Theme from FFXV as it captures the series so well. Sadly, XV doesn't live up to the pedigree this song suggests it will, as being a breath of fresh air into the series as a whole. But, this piece of music is still wonderful.
I do loves me some Chrono's Theme and how it sets up the journey, but that core FF theme always gets me in the cockles of my heart!

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213956
Posted: 24th November 2017 18:53

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I would agree that FFXV's is the definitive arrangement of the Main Theme. And a great theme it is. That said, it's a track that's hard to have a strong feeling about: yes, there's a good deal of positive nostalgia associated with the Main Theme, but because it's omnipresent it's also hard to have a definitive attachment to it. Comparing to Chrono's Theme is, of course, difficult because of the massive disparity in arrangement, instrumentation, etc. I think I nonetheless have to go with Chrono's Theme as a track that simply does more for me.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #213980
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll