CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R2: #2 Clash on the Big Bridge (FF5) v. #7 Searching for Friends (FF6)

Which song is your favorite?
Clash on the Big Bridge [ 4 ]  [33.33%]
Searching for Friends [ 8 ]  [66.67%]
Total Votes: 12

Posted: 18th November 2017 14:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
In round one, Clash on the Big Bridge struggled a bit against Edgar and Sabin's Theme. While popular, I have to wonder if it would have prevailed against a stronger theme from FF6, and now we're about to find out. Searching for Friends is clearly well-loved, and had no issues defeating Crazy Motorcycle Chase from Final Fantasy VII.

Clash on the Big Bridge is one of those that will very often come up when you ask a long-time Final Fantasy gamer about his or her favorite songs, which illuminates why it's a #2 seed here. There's no denying that this is a great battle theme, but I think it picks up a bit of additional cache as it remained underground for so long as one of the forgotten Final Fantasy games here in the west. This will always be a tough out for any other song it encounters, but it is beatable!

Searching for Friends is likely better known as the overworld theme for the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI, with its title made obvious to anyone who has completed that game. Most people reading this probably already have its melody in their heads, with hours upon hours spent hearing it over the years. It won a couple matchups last time before falling to Cyan's Theme in round 3.
Post #213910
Posted: 20th November 2017 16:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Visit here to view this matchup on the Regalia website or listen to these tracks.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213936
Posted: 21st November 2017 21:34

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
I think this'll be a close match, for sure.
I'm going with Big Bridge as it just ramps you up for the impending battle to come, blends some modern tastes with the warlike classic notes of the trumpet so well.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213959
Posted: 22nd November 2017 08:28

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I voted for both tracks that lost to these two, haha.

Let's go with Searching for Friends. It has a nicer melody.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213964
Posted: 24th November 2017 17:41

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I feel that Clash on the Big Bridge has a weird place in evaluations like this. A lot of times it ends up standing as "the" FFV song, which puts it out of its league due to FFV having a somewhat weaker soundtrack than many others. That said, it is a good track: the drums are great and the trumpet is catchy.

Searching for Friends is, by contrast, synthier and a bit less striking in the rhythm department. The bass line and harpsichord part (during the chorus) make it much more than an overworld track, though. There's a lot of nostalgia value here too, which is impossible for me to disentangle from the music itself; I have to admit that that's probably what puts Searching for Friends over the top for me.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #213979
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll