CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Regalia 2017: The Brackets!

Posted: 8th November 2017 02:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Starting soon, the matchups will begin appearing - probably first on the Regalia site but soon after here in the forums as well. For now, though, here are your brackets. Each bracket has 1/4 of the field, seeded from 1-16 in terms of how powerful the community was in nominating each track. These first round matchups will naturally lead into later rounds as the winners move on and the losers lament their fates.

Of course, you can view all matchups and brackets on the Regalia site:
Matchups (as they appear)
Brackets

Or you can watch this forum for threads for each matchup, and follow the brackets right here:

Fifth Place Bracket

Championship Bracket

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 12th December 2017 15:59

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213637
Posted: 8th November 2017 22:26

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
If you listen closely, you can hear me crying over the "Terra's Theme" and "Dust to Dust" matchup...and they're not good tears.

--------------------
Post #213668
Posted: 8th November 2017 23:36

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
wacko.gif

I don't get any of this, but that's probably from being raised by anti-competitive hippie weirdos from the early 70's. biggrin.gif

Music and competition just don't seem to gel together for me.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #213670
Posted: 9th November 2017 13:20

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Quote (Harlequin @ 8th November 2017 18:26)
If you listen closely, you can hear me crying over the "Terra's Theme" and "Dust to Dust" matchup...and they're not good tears.

Definitely my toughest choice in the first round. Shame there aren't more FF6 v FF6 matchups in the first round, to get things more interesting.
Post #213690
Posted: 9th November 2017 13:36

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Harlequin @ 8th November 2017 16:26)

Yeah, when I laid out the brackets, I was personally very displeased over that one too.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #213691
Posted: 10th November 2017 01:07

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
I'm already more excited for this then any fantasy hockey bracket I've ever been invited to.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213708
Posted: 10th November 2017 01:30

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 9th November 2017 13:36)
Quote (Harlequin @ 8th November 2017 16:26)

Yeah, when I laid out the brackets, I was personally very displeased over that one too.

I'm glad people understand my pain! I think that it's pretty clear which way I'm going to vote, heh. But still, a really tight matchup as both are incredibly stunning tracks, not to mention important to their respective games.

This post has been edited by Harlequin on 10th November 2017 01:40

--------------------
Post #213711
Posted: 10th November 2017 09:06

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
> my pet track Boss Battle (FF3) vs. the perennial all-time favorite Dancing Mad (FF6)

*steels self*
I don't care.
I'm going to defiantly vote for the FF3 boss battle theme when the time comes.

More relevantly: how long will will these first-round matchup threads be open? I don't think I have time tonight to do all of them...

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213718
Posted: 10th November 2017 12:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 10th November 2017 03:06)
> my pet track Boss Battle (FF3) vs. the perennial all-time favorite Dancing Mad (FF6)

*steels self*
I don't care.
I'm going to defiantly vote for the FF3 boss battle theme when the time comes.

More relevantly: how long will will these first-round matchup threads be open?  I don't think I have time tonight to do all of them...

Each group of four matchups is scheduled to run for four days, with a new group of four opening each day (in the early morning for us Americans, around lunch for our European friends). The first set will be closing out tomorrow, November 11.

Worth noting that I kind of scheduled them in a dumb way that won't allow a perfectly smooth transition into round 2, I don't think, so there may be a day or two where no new matchups get added while I reconcile that. I haven't thought that all the way through to plot it out yet, as I've been so busy I barely got this part started at all!

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th November 2017 12:48

--------------------

Post #213723
Posted: 11th November 2017 15:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
The very first set of matchups closed this morning, with Cape Caem, You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet, Fight 2, and Aerith's Theme moving on. Vote totals were a little lower than I would have liked to have seen - what would people think about adding in another day to think and vote for matchups starting in the second round?

--------------------

Post #213762
Posted: 11th November 2017 16:12

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I think adding another day is a good idea.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #213772
Posted: 13th November 2017 23:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Why are these matchups showing up as having been posted on Nov 8 and a few replies then but then only appearing today?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213818
Posted: 14th November 2017 00:06

Engineer

Awards:
I kept forgetting to mention, but when I sent in my 5 picks before the tournament I think my internet connection crapped out and sent it twice. When I would go back to the Regalia page it would show up as doubles. Is that an issue?

--------------------
Post #213819
Posted: 14th November 2017 00:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I’ll take a look but it’ll be an easy fix if so. Thanks!

--------------------

Post #213820
Posted: 15th November 2017 00:10

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Looks like some of the early matches have had a surprising number of overwhelming wins, while some of these more stacked matches are seeing a surprising number of close calls or possible upsets.

Also I've discovered that "latest post" actually means latest poll vote.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 15th November 2017 00:13

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213854
Posted: 16th November 2017 15:48

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
As you can see, I didn't open up any new matches this morning even though round 2 now has eight matches that can kick off. That's mainly because I've been too busy at work and caught a fairly nasty cold, both of which stopped me from getting round 2 ready. smile.gif

I'll be able to start some up tomorrow, and we'll let them run a little longer like I mentioned before.

--------------------

Post #213869
Posted: 17th November 2017 21:14

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Does the fact that the matchups are on the Regalia site mean that non-members can vote?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213898
Posted: 18th November 2017 01:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 17th November 2017 15:14)
Does the fact that the matchups are on the Regalia site mean that non-members can vote?

Only members can vote - the site is just there to be a prettier way of doing it, and to make it easy for people who want to participate but not necessarily come to the forums be a part of it.

Also, with regards to the "latest post" thing, that is somewhat remedied if you go to the CoN homepage before coming to the forums - at least there you get the number only of new posts, even if you have to dig a little bit more. I intentionally turned on that feature for this forum, but if it's really irritating to people to see bumps via votes, I can turn it off, too.

--------------------

Post #213903
Posted: 18th November 2017 08:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Actually I like that it notifies on votes, now that I think about it.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213904
Posted: 20th November 2017 16:17

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Sorry for anyone who came to the forums yesterday to do voting - I was ill and completely forgot that I needed to move stuff around. Remember that the main site, https://regalia.cavesofnarshe.com/ should work even in the case that I forget to do all the manual work here. Should be plenty of time to vote, though!

--------------------

Post #213939
Posted: 25th November 2017 14:30

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
That will seal up round two, and now only sixteen songs remain of the original 64. The round of 16 should have some pretty interesting matchups, and I think I'll start them up probably on Monday morning once I have time to get them written up and organized. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #213985
Posted: 28th November 2017 04:01

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I'm still a little stunned that Dancing Mad lost to Aeris's Theme.

Meanwhile, it's funny how, after voting against them, I've had the Aria, FFV's Ahead on our Way, Ronfaure, and Loss of Me all in my head.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 28th November 2017 04:03

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213997
Posted: 28th November 2017 10:17

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm a bit stunned that at least two tracks I cast votes for in the previous round won by a margin of one. Also thought Dancing Mad would cruise to the top, that anything in the field could challenge it I find an interesting twist.
Post #213998
Posted: 28th November 2017 14:43

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (DragonKnight Zero @ 28th November 2017 04:17)
I'm a bit stunned that at least two tracks I cast votes for in the previous round won by a margin of one. Also thought Dancing Mad would cruise to the top, that anything in the field could challenge it I find an interesting twist.

I think we're suffering a bit because of lower voter turnout relative to last time. What is this, a midterm election? rolleyes-straight.gif

Round of 16 has now started up with two matchups. Planning on starting two a day for the next few days.

--------------------

Post #213999
Posted: 28th November 2017 19:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Double post just for fun - after this round is over, I think I might need to move all the songs into a new bracket so we can have enough bracket space to get the top five locked in over the next couple weeks, so be on the lookout for that.

And, if anyone is curious, here's how the remaining sixteen songs break down by game:

Final Fantasy VI: 3
Final Fantasy VII: 2
Final Fantasy VIII: 1
Final Fantasy IX: 2
Final Fantasy X: 1
Final Fantasy XIII: 1
Final Fantasy XV: 1
Chrono Trigger: 4
Final Fantasy Tactics: 1

--------------------

Post #214008
Posted: 30th November 2017 08:11

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I find it kooky that the every time a CT track has gone up against one from a different game, it has won. FFT has a similarly distinguished performance but since there's only one FFT track, it doesn't stand out as much.

On the other end, FF1 and 5 got stomped (among games with more than one song in) and FF4, while being a favorite in the nominations with 7 entries, has only one win to show for it.

There's a joke here about FF4 being older than most JRPG characters but I feel it would be in poor taste to snark about it here.
Post #214026
Posted: 6th December 2017 15:04

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
We've got the final eight now. There are three Chrono Trigger tracks, two FF6, and one from FF8, 10, and Tactics respectively. Very, very strange group.

I'm setting up the brackets now; unfortunately, Challonge doesn't make it easy to do a double-elimination bracket in the way we need it to get our top five, so I'll have some finagling to do to get everything looking right. I'll get the Elite Eight round running probably by tomorrow morning!

--------------------

Post #214087
Posted: 10th December 2017 08:41

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
When does E8 voting end?

I want to know how long I can keep procrastinating voting on Liberi Fatali vs. the FF10 ending theme.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #214128
Posted: 10th December 2017 17:07

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Good question - I neglected to mention that. These matchups close on the 12th early in the morning (8am Eastern), and I'm going to try to have the losers' bracket start up pretty quickly after that because they will feed the fifth-place song that we need to find the prize winners among those who made predictions.

--------------------

Post #214131
Posted: 12th December 2017 16:02

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I finally got a chance to get the brackets all updated on both the Regalia site and at the top of this thread. As of this morning, we're running the first matches of the fifth place bracket, a single elimination bracket to determine what song finishes fifth (it will run through 17 December); tomorrow morning the Final Four matchups will begin and run through 18 December to determine the third-place match and the grand finale.

I'm not sure yet how we'll run matches over the Christmas holiday, though I suspect we'll just extend the open windows a bit, and we'll work to have our prize winners by the New Year. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #214157
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: