CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 5 Single Class Challenge

Posted: 10th October 2004 21:05

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Chemist SCC finished - highlights:

Omniscient - no magic from chemists means i had to berserk him with Bacchus Wine, and he was hitting hard afterwards. I "split shell"-ed him and used air lances since he's weak to wind. Took a while to knock him down.

Riviathan/Leviathan - put on coral rings and he didn't tidal wave me once. Urgggh. So i holy-breath-ed (deals same amount of damage as user HP) him to death.

Odin - his element is holy so i switched strategy and used drain kiss. ~3000 HP each time. dead after 6 drain kisses with 20 secs left.

Bahamut - put wall rings on and holy-breath-ed him. Also reflected an "Atomic Ray" and a Mega Flare back to him (for 9999 damage which KOed him)

Omega - Kiss of Blessing came in handy here (Bersk+Haste+Image). I don't plan on hitting him physically (hey do any of you? I would only dream of it if i had something like !X-fight/!Sshot). So image does not benefit him in my case. But haste does. It was annoying, since his attacks do ~1700HP to back row with Armor/Safe active. My characters keep having to heal themselves. Then i found out a good trick for these hard hitting bosses. It turns out that "Dark Breath" (dragon fang+dark matter) deals (max HP minus current HP) damage to any enemy. Same effect as the "????" blue spell. The difference is Dark Breath does not miss. I gambled and did ~6500HP to him one time. Took a while but i got my omega medal. :) (bacchus's wine does not work BTW)

King of dimension castle (forgot his name) - sure he turned my party into frogs but that's okay. My chemist mixes can still be done when i have the frog status. I just kept "drain-kissing" him. He didn't do much bad stuff after that.

Shinryuu - think omega hits hard when berserked? This guy does 4500 HP damage to the *back row*. Ouch. Good thing "bacchus' wine" works. The first little bit i was busy putting defenses (haste/speed drinks) up and healing while he was pounding hard. Then since he is *not* healed by dragon breath (dragon fangx2), i alternatively used that and dark breath - depending on the user's HP level - and got him eventually. I was a bunch of chemists holding a ragnarok sword. What a shame... :(

Exdeath - put on running/winged shoes (standard procedure for the final bosses:) and angel suits/gowns. The tree missed me with white hole once. Phew. After a few good holy -breath's he morphed into ...

Neo-exdeath - strangely death potion (phoenix down+dark matter) does not work on the back target, but true edge (from the magic lamp) did. I wound my magic lamp down to ifrit (hellfire). Golem (earth wall) blocked all the vacuum waves. Sadly carbunkl (ruby light) didn't get to reflect anything :(. I mostly used shadow flare (dark matterx2) on him and did about 3000HP damage each. I didn't holy-breath him much since i was getting low on dragon fangs. He grand crossed me once but i didn't get affected much since i had angel gowns on. He blinded a character and downsized another. Those didn't bother me since all i did was to mix stuff. He also berserked Faris, but i un-berserked her using "panacea" (i forgot the ingredients). The cleft of dimension whittled my supplies down to 17 dragon fangs and 30 odd pieces of dark matter. But i finally did it. A team of chemists beat ff5.

Wow. Mimic - that's pretty amazing with your solo white SSCC - i don't think i'll ever have patience for that. I play ff5 SCC's because of the strategy/challenge factor. I usually give up if there is too much randomness involved. I admire both you and Caesar for it. BTW Caesar, any luck with neo-ex? -galt123
Post #62139
Posted: 10th October 2004 22:21
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Speaking of that, level 24 and no luck as of yet. I got very, very close, about 135hp, then the dreaded combo killed me off. I will do this, I swear. One thing I noticed, however - Are enemy attack patterns affected by your actions? (Sorry if this is a very well-known thing or something. I'm not into game mechanics or anything of that nature.) I say this because it seems his are. Say, for instance, I use a physical attack. If I continue to use physicals, he will also use physicals. If I then Cure, he may well change to Tentacle/Physical combos. Is this just coincidence, my hopes of him getting stuck in a physical or Tailscrew loop?
Post #62147
Posted: 10th October 2004 23:17

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Unfortunately, galt, I have been unable to defeat Neo-Exdeath. I haven't had the patience to try time after time again, so I will resume whenever I feel like it. In the meantime, I may try another SCC. Any recommendations are appreciated. There are few I wouldn't mind doing. These include Monk, Trainer, Mystic Knight (easy, yes, but still fun), Geomancer, and Mime. I don't know if Mime is possible, so I'm sorta leaning towards that. Only problem is, Galuf doesn't have the Mime class, because
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
he's not around by the time you can get it

, so it wouldn't be a *true* SCC until World 3.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #62155
Endless Knight
Posted: 11th October 2004 01:23
Unregistered

You could always make Galuf bare, and give him some black magic. If somebody did a physical attack, you copy that, and if somebody does magic of a certain element, you mimic that as close as possible. Later of course, you switch to Mimic.

Still really iffy, but it's an idea. unsure.gif
Post #62161
Posted: 11th October 2004 01:50

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
There's a GG code that enables all classes from the get-go, but Galuf doesn't have Mimic, so he'd be left out whilst the others Mimic away.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #62165
Posted: 11th October 2004 02:40

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Caesar @ 10th October 2004 20:50)
There's a GG code that enables all classes from the get-go, but Galuf doesn't have Mimic, so he'd be left out whilst the others Mimic away.

Actually he can "be" a mimic. He'll just have no sprite. It'll look really funny: like damage done to nobody; a knife swinging in the air, etc etc. It actually looks kinda comical. At least that's what happens in my version.
Post #62173
Posted: 11th October 2004 03:24

Onion Knight

Awards:
Look at me! I'm still here!

A while back I did beat the Knight SCC. Neo was a huge pain in the rear. Running Shoes are absolutely neccessary for the fight. I'm probably very soon going to attempt a Monk SCC or maybe even Trainer one, which seems like fun.

Oh, and every SCC is possible and have been done, along with most SSCCs(solo single class challenge).

--------------------
It's more than a game, it's a religion.

Get the pulp beaten out of you to beat the pulp out of enemies.
-Blue Mage's Oath
Post #62178
Posted: 11th October 2004 03:46

Climbing Marle!

Awards:

Oh, and every SCC is possible and have been done, along with most SSCCs(solo single class challenge).

IIRC, the only that hasn't been completed was Mimic, or so it says in the SCC guide on GameFAQs.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #62182
Posted: 11th October 2004 09:59

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Hang on to your knickers, people. Teh Djibriel is doing a graphic hack. A graphic hack! The world has gone mad.

Galuf doesn't have a Mimic spirte, so I'm making one. I'm paying close attention to his 'Bare' class (as the Mimic class is just that, same poses, but with a cape) and Butz his Mimic job. The work is harder than you'd think right away, but still kinda fun. It's a first, and all.

When it's done I'll give a shout here at CoN, so any of you SCC crazies can try this horrible game smile.gif It's basically a 'Bare' SCC with a lot of equipment restrictions (= no Rod breaking), so providing it's possible it should be quite the challenge.

Edit
Galuf can still be a Mimic, though, so you don't actually *need* the patch to try this. It's just that Galuf'll be invisible throughout the game.

This post has been edited by Djibriel on 11th October 2004 10:03

--------------------
Post #62203
Posted: 11th October 2004 14:24

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
YES! This has been one of my main beefswith a Mimic SCC! I'm sort of obsessive over things like that, but would do that SCC in an instant if Galuf actually had a sprite.
Post #62214
Posted: 11th October 2004 15:25

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
www.tenchinohoukai.greatnow.com/InvisibleInvishnible.jpg

Copy/Paste in the Address bar, plz.

Note that the colours would be different (the same palette as the Galuf 'Bare' class, obviously).

Edit
Respond to Mimic's post: All four Mimic sprites are the same as the respetive 'Bare' job sprites, only with a cape. I want to stick to that rule as I believe it will make it look more credible. I could've just pasted the Bare graphics if I wanted, but I want to make people forget one of those is actually a custom sprite smile.gif

This post has been edited by Djibriel on 11th October 2004 15:48

--------------------
Post #62222
Posted: 11th October 2004 15:32

Awards:
That's great. I think he looks pretty cool as it is, but, hey. Up to you. As soon as it's all ready and so forth, I'm definitely attempting it.
Post #62223
Posted: 12th October 2004 03:25

Onion Knight

Awards:
Monk SCC anyone? If so, are you able to get past the tower of magic without cheating? I recently got there myself. I'll have to get past the tower of magic to get "Kaiser's Knuckles" (brawl power up) - one in a chest in the great trench and 3 more fighting fall guards behind the waterfalls. (I just realized why they're called fall guards - they guard the falls - anyway i digress)... at least i would like to get kaiser's knuckles.

thanks in advance -galt123
Post #62302
Posted: 12th October 2004 11:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (galt123 @ 12th October 2004 13:25)
Monk SCC anyone? If so, are you able to get past the tower of magic without cheating? I recently got there myself. I'll have to get past the tower of magic to get "Kaiser's Knuckles" (brawl power up) - one in a chest in the great trench and 3 more fighting fall guards behind the waterfalls. (I just realized why they're called fall guards - they guard the falls - anyway i digress)... at least i would like to get kaiser's knuckles.

thanks in advance -galt123

Yes, it is possible to get past the Fork Tower with pretty much any class. It involves the characters facing Omniscient having Wall Rings equipped. Then it's a waiting game for Omniscient to run out of his 30000 MP. It takes a long time, but it's possible.

--------------------
I'm a general, not some opera floozy!

*insert humourous observation here*
Post #62314
Posted: 12th October 2004 13:21

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Rune Knight @ 12th October 2004 06:16)
Yes, it is possible to get past the Fork Tower with pretty much any class. It involves the characters facing Omniscient having Wall Rings equipped. Then it's a waiting game for Omniscient to run out of his 30000 MP. It takes a long time, but it's possible.

thanks - good point. never thought of that. However, Reset/Return only uses 1MP. So what if Omniscient has 1 MP left and all the other spells he casts takes more than 1MP? Am i still screwed? :O

Edit
edit: wait a minute - white magic "scan" uses 1 MP as well. I seem to recall him scanning once in a while, is that correct?

This post has been edited by galt123 on 12th October 2004 13:30
Post #62322
Posted: 12th October 2004 17:34

Awards:
Plus, he won't just Return randomly. By attacking him, you change his attack pattern, so keep changing until he gets to one that uses Scan and doesn't reflect attack spells of himself. I'm probably wrong, though.
Post #62336
Posted: 12th October 2004 18:28

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Mimic @ 12th October 2004 12:34)
By attacking him, you change his attack pattern, so keep changing until he gets to one that uses Scan and doesn't reflect attack spells of himself

Actually he uses Return/Reset as a "counterattack" to any physical attack against him. I've sat and watched him fire spells at me with wall rings on. This guy casts almost all level 5 and below white/black/dimen spells. It is true, however, that he doesn't cast reset/return unless attacked physically.
Post #62346
Posted: 12th October 2004 20:27

Awards:
I guess I was sort of trying to say that. Kind of. WHM - Lv25 and no luck.
Post #62371
Posted: 13th October 2004 16:13

Onion Knight

Awards:
Stuck on Ifrit with Mediators (Gotta catch some goblins) and gave up on berserkers in ship graveyard, emulater had a graphic lack for the sea.
Post #62474
Posted: 13th October 2004 19:56

Onion Knight

Awards:
Monk SCC: got omniscient finally - thanks to Rune Knight and Mimic. :) Yes it took a looooong time to empty his insane amount of MP. I waited until "Scan...Not Enough MP" appeared on screen before i went ahead and attacked him. This way i don't waste all that waiting time. He did Drain me a couple of times, but earlier on he had a Wall/Reflect on himself when he casted Regen. So i got quickly healed automatically.
Post #62488
Posted: 13th October 2004 20:31

Awards:
Congratulations. I'm thinking of actually completing an SCC at some point, but that's beside the point. I'm still trying with my WHM, the Scourge of the Seas. Aaand... yet another SCC, I've got four Geomancers at Garula. Strategy has been basically spam Terrain against bosses, but I'm kind of looking forward to/dreading Sol Cannon. Terrain doesn't work on it, it seems. Looks like I'll be ringing my bell alittle. Or alot.
Post #62495
Posted: 14th October 2004 00:52

Onion Knight

Awards:
I just started my next SCC: Blue Mage. I'm about to enter the canal and I've got everyone at level 4 with Vampire and Goblin Punch. I'm not looking at much difficulty for a while.

--------------------

-Blue Mage's Oath
Post #62541
Posted: 14th October 2004 05:03

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Blue Mage @ 13th October 2004 19:52)
I'm about to enter the canal and I've got everyone at level 4 with Vampire and Goblin Punch.

Good choice smile.gif i just did one (a blue SCC) a while ago. Lots of fun. Does anyone know how the blue spell "vampire" calculates its damage? I always seem to end up with a 0HP drain when i use it. Does my current HP/MP or status/level have anything to do with it?
Post #62582
Posted: 14th October 2004 11:30

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
The damage it does is half the damage you would do with ????. In other words:

Damage = (max HP - current HP)/2

--------------------
Post #62593
Posted: 14th October 2004 14:20

Awards:
Probably too late, but you can get Aero from the Mauldwins in the Windshrine. Worth having.

This post has been edited by Mimic on 14th October 2004 15:23
Post #62604
Posted: 14th October 2004 21:46

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Djibriel @ 14th October 2004 06:30)
Damage = (max HP - current HP)/2

Ahhh... that'll explain why only enemies with higher HP can do any significant damage with vampire (ex radiators) and only after they get hit. Thanks Djibriel :)
Post #62670
Posted: 16th October 2004 19:12

Awards:
Blue Mage? Just curious... how exactly did you get your Knights past Byblos? I know they have a pretty one-dimensional battle strategy, but what level were you?
Post #62877
Posted: 18th October 2004 18:36

Onion Knight

Awards:
I was around level 14-20(can't remember), I think.

Byblos is a tough fight, not because of anything but its length. It's very annoying to have him cast Safe on himself after physically attacking him, but the true killer in the fight is Drain. Drain healed him for about 300, the amount of damage two Knights do to him with Safe on. The key to the fight is to slowly wean his HP down, since Drain did not happen every turn. In the fight Potions heal too little and too slowly(because you cannot waste turns healing because of the urgency and risk of Drain) and I did not have too many High Potions, so I had to use 5 Elixers once my High Potion supply dwindled. The fight is tough; it took me about 4 tries.

--------------------

-Blue Mage's Oath
Post #63054
Posted: 18th October 2004 18:53

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Blue Mage @ 18th October 2004 13:36)
but the true killer in the fight is Drain.

Yeah, drain was a drag. On a white mage SCC drain was the reason i had to "drain" his MP. Pun intended :P - I just couldn't attack him fast enough with 4 white mages when he keeps draining me. Really makes me wonder how that "Not Dave" person from gameFAQ did it with one living white mage....
Post #63056
Posted: 19th October 2004 15:49

Awards:
Yeah. I noticed today he was level 40 when he beat Karlabos, and I'm at 26. He must've been very high when he beat Byblos. (Level wise.) And Archeoavis would've been horrible. And Sol Cannon. And possibly Sandworm.
Post #63119
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: