CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Mighty No. 9 (and Mega Man series discussion)

Posted: 15th August 2016 06:21

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Yes, a thread about that game that the internet hates.

TrueBOSS posted a review of it, and I was going to respond in the thread where this was but that would have just been a derail, so, as promised, here is my reply.

Quote (TrueBOSS)
These guys gave a very good review for MN9: Mighty Number 9 Review

So far I've been reasonably satisfied with Mighty No. 9, so I actually disagree with the internet consensus on it. And yes, I'm a backer. I paid $40 to get the game and the soundtrack. Right now I've beaten the Ray stage (first thing I beat actually), as well as the Sniper (#8) and the Ice girl (#3 I think). Close to beating the Mine guy (#5?).

I also tend toward disagreeing with the line of argument that the time/delays and money used to make the game meant that the game should have been something else/better.

The argument that the story or level design is boring doesn't hold much water either, in my opinion -- if we're comparing this to the classic series Mega Man games, then those games' stories are cheesy excuse plots anyway, and if anything, MN9's stage design is on the more creative side, being more like Mega Man X1's or 7's stage design.

In general, I do not feel I was "scammed" or otherwise let down by Mighty No. 9, and I am enjoying the game to the extent that I have played of it.

Also I've spent about 7 hours on the game so far, and I've only beaten a couple Mighty Nos. and Ray. The difficulty is on the high side as far as classic Mega Man games go, and even if I presume I goofed around for 2 hours to get the settings right on the game, that's still 5 hours of gameplay so far. I'd estimate it'd take me about 10 to 15 hours to finish the game. Obviously if you skip the cutscenes and dash through every stage just to get to the boss and don't try to do stuff like taking them down with the pea shooter, yeah, you're gonna rush through the game a lot quicker than I do, though 3 hours? For a first playthrough? I doubt it.

Is MN9 perfect? Not by a longshot; the voice acting is cheesy and isn't even lip-flapped, and the Steam achievements aren't implemented correctly (countable achievement increments are an available feature they didn't use), for starters. But is it an enjoyable game, in my opinion? Yes. I mean, I don't think Mega Man 1 and 2 were that super-awesome, but they're still enjoyable, too. MN9 seems to be more satisfying than them. I'd say around the level of Mega Man 3 and 7 for me...though keep in mind my favorite Mega Man classic games are 4, 5, and 6. (I haven't played 8.)

Was it mismanaged? Probably was. The Red Ash Kickstarter was tactless at the very least. And I've heard that putting it on every platform just wasted a lot of time and effort -- not to mention the extra-stupid stuff like the game bricking Wii U's. But I also kinda blame both the devteam AND the rabid fandom for basically going for the idea of making this game a replacement Mega Man, and then trying to make it that and/or expecting it to be that. It's got enough differences that it doesn't play identically to a Mega Man game, disappointing those who wanted it to be the same, but the demand that it be like Mega Man stifled the innovation that seems to be demanded by people who now criticize it for being uninnovative and boring. The Mega Man games themselves are highly formulaic anyway, so either you break that formula or you stick to it, and it seems the devteam may not have been sure which way to side on that.

But hey, at least I'm enjoying the game.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 23rd August 2016 22:20

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211206
Posted: 15th August 2016 14:46

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
I have tried to look through the hate brigade - and it does appear that a lot of criticism is about the game's challenge level. Ie, too hard.
I have little sympathy for such criticism at all.

Complaints I can understand are untelegraphed attacks by bosses; a deluge of expository text which breaks up the action, in an action game (hurrrk).

People complain about the lives system, meaning they have to start a whole stage over and lose checkpoint progress if they run out of lives. Now, on the one hand this shouldn't be a problem to old megaman hands, after all the classic series and X function this way.
On the other hand, making it a bit less punishing wouldn't hurt - see: Shovel Knight.

the tl;dr from people who's opinions I respect is: inorganic mechanics shoved into boring level design making for a mediocre experience.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #211210
Posted: 15th August 2016 15:48

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
You can actually turn the lives dial up to 9, and get 9 shots at the stage before you game over (which just means starting the stage over again...though that could be a little irritating because the stages themselves aren't necessarily cakewalks).

I personally prefer a little less difficulty, but that's a very minor issue with the game and is more about the nature of the game than anything else. It certainly has rather little bearing on how much money or time was spent on development.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 15th August 2016 15:53

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211211
Posted: 16th August 2016 12:59

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
No, but coming out a mediocre experience does.

It's "better than nothing" though right? hahah

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #211216
Posted: 16th August 2016 14:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Well I don't get how this is so much worse than the Mega Man classic games themselves. Those games aren't the best things ever either, but reasonably entertaining, as is MN9.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211218
Posted: 16th August 2016 15:12

Awards:
The promise of MN9 is that it should be at least as fun/good experience as megaman. If it doesn't reach this minimum standard, then it has failed.

As I understand it, people's problem is that it doesn't reach the standard. It's as simple as that.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #211221
Posted: 17th August 2016 02:31

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
In all honesty. I actually do hope they make a sequel. This game wasn't an absolute flop. It just wasn't everything a lot of people where hoping it would be. I do feel that this game would make a good pilot for a continued series. Most pilots are clunky and awkward compared to their sequels in a series anyways. I liked a lot of concepts they where trying to establish with this game and hope that they can grow it into a great series.

On a more lighthearted note. Why did they name him Beck? Was this a shoutout to the band by the same name? Even if it wasn't, every time I hear Beck I think of Becks head from the episode of Futurama where Bender loses his use of everything from the neck down.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211225
Posted: 17th August 2016 03:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 16th August 2016 10:12)
The promise of MN9 is that it should be at least as fun/good experience as megaman. If it doesn't reach this minimum standard, then it has failed.

As I understand it, people's problem is that it doesn't reach the standard. It's as simple as that.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's at least fun as a standard classic Mega Man game, so I guess it follows logically that I don't have a problem with it.

Quote (TrueBOSS)
On a more lighthearted note. Why did they name him Beck? Was this a shoutout to the band by the same name? Even if it wasn't, every time I hear Beck I think of Becks head from the episode of Futurama where Bender loses his use of everything from the neck down.

The Roll expy is named Call.

Rock and Roll.

Beck and Call.

It's another "A and B" idiomatic English phrase.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211228
Posted: 17th August 2016 07:52

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 15th August 2016 06:21)
Was it mismanaged?  Probably was.  The Red Ash Kickstarter was tactless at the very least.  And I've heard that putting it on every platform just wasted a lot of time and effort -- not to mention the extra-stupid stuff like the game bricking Wii U's.  But I also kinda blame both the devteam AND the rabid fandom for basically going for the idea of making this game a replacement Mega Man, and then trying to make it that and/or expecting it to be that.

You're heavily downplaying the context really. MN9 was always supposed to be a replacement megaman. It's not the fans' fault for wanting what was promised..

For anyone unfamiliar with this twisted tale, well here you go..

https://youtu.be/VR5TP129_pI?t=1m20s

Man i hope Bloodstained is good. IGA knows what he's doing..I think.

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 17th August 2016 07:53

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #211232
Posted: 17th August 2016 20:46

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Out of the 10 regular Mega Man games, there are really only a few absolute gems though anyway.

Sure, the core gameplay is there, but the powerups, level designs and bosses, as well as the most important thing in a MM game IMO, the music, are all sub par in the majority of them.

Seriously, Mega Man 1 is great if you like blisteringly hard games but I, like many others I'm sure, only got into the series with Mega Man II. The first one is an above average game at best.

I think Mega Man 3 is over-rated, while Mega Man 4 is under-rated but 5 and 6 are awful, and the gameboy games are just as bad.

Mega Man 7 is brilliant, a very over-looked entry in the main series. Mega Man 8 BLOWS. But Mega Man 9 needs to seriously be considered when talking about the best in the series. It was phenomenal, maybe a tad on the easy side but still challenging, great soundtrack and bosses and awesome weapons. Mega Man 10 was a let down. IT HAS A BOSS CALLED SHEEP MAN FFS.

So really, out of the 10 regular Mega Man games, half of them suck (OMG I MUST NOT BE A TRUE MEGA MAN FAN DERP) so I don't see how people are crying foul on Mighty Number 9 for not delivering that classic Mega Man experience.

All this talking about it has me intrigued and I can get it for free right now to be honest so I might just do that. Will return to praise or tear it to shreds if I do, lol.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 17th August 2016 20:47

--------------------
Post #211237
Posted: 18th August 2016 21:21

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Oooooohhhhh-kaaaaaay.

I had some Amazon credit so I downloaded Mighty No. 9 for my PS3 for free.

I literally am like 15 minutes in and I am already in love with it. I haven't even played an actual stage yet but I'm so excited I had to come in here and give a first take and it's that this is a perfect cross between the core Mega Man games and the Mega Man X games.

What the hell is there to complain about? It's pure fan-service and a direct spiritual successor to Mega Man and quite the tribute. The music is good so far, the controls are tight, and the voice acting is surprisingly good.

Will be back with more I'm sure.

Edit: My only complaint so far is that the music is way to low.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 18th August 2016 21:24

--------------------
Post #211239
Posted: 19th August 2016 17:21

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Dynamic Threads)
Edit: My only complaint so far is that the music is way to low.

I had to mess around with the settings but I basically set things like this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=730032057

And now I'm much happier with the sound balance.

Note that the sound balance is different if you're using the 8-bit soundtrack. In this screenshot, I'm not. But the 8-bit soundtrack is louder and more prominent.

Quote (Dynamic Threads)
IT HAS A BOSS CALLED SHEEP MAN FFS.

And he has AWESOME stage music. And awesome stage music is a staple feature I expect from a Mega Man game.

Quote (Dynamic Threads)
OMG I MUST NOT BE A TRUE MEGA MAN FAN DERP

As stupid as this complaint sounds, this was actually a complaint lobbed at the controversial former community manager for the backer forum (i.e. Dina), and to a lesser extent, at Inafune himself.

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
You're heavily downplaying the context really. MN9 was always supposed to be a replacement megaman. It's not the fans' fault for wanting what was promised..

For anyone unfamiliar with this twisted tale, well here you go..

https://youtu.be/VR5TP129_pI?t=1m20s

I'm downplaying the context because said "context" was basically people going nuts with hype, which is an incredibly stupid idea. Now, I'm going to put some blame on Inafune's team for hyping people up like this in the first place, but I'm not going to not blame people for buying into the hype.

I hate to say it this way, but hey, I wasn't hyped, and I'm actually having a better time, and enjoying the game.

The only really substantial things I got from that video are:
* the publicity was horribly mismanaged in multiple ways (Red Ash kickstarter, trailer advertisement, delays, being too ambitious, etc.)
* the release was very poorly handled
* the game's visuals differed from early concept art (which is something that, y'know, tons of games do)
* the rest of it is basically Jim Sterling shitting on the game (and even admitting that he hadn't even played it!) saying, essentially, "it was mismanaged and therefore it's shit"

There's so little about, y'know, the game itself. I agree with the first three points -- though NOT with the opinion that the game's concept art changing was a bad thing.

Game itself is pretty decent, in my opinion.

Did I closely follow the development of the game? No.
Did I ever use the Backer Forum? I think I might have posted there like once. I know I made an account. But I never regularly read it.
So yes, I'm evaluating this game based almost solely on the product presented at the current time. I have few expectations other than that it is a Mega-Man-Classic-like platformer that's heavily inspired by Mega Man and stars a Beck and a Call and uses 2.5D graphics.

Yes, I don't have that "context". And I'm glad I don't. I'm glad I wasn't doing the day-by-day hour-by-hour handwringing that people do over all sorts of things, from video game releases to political candidate poll numbers. I learned that that's a stupid perspective on life that just makes me pointlessly anxious and hugely magnifies every possible stumble.

What you're seeing in the fan reaction is basically a long list of publicity stumbles. I'm not saying they don't matter -- I'm just saying, they need to be put into perspective.

FYI I've played Mega Man 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7F, part of 8F and MM&B, DWR, II, III, IV, V, X, X2, X3, parts of X4 and X5, Z, Z2 (most of it), BN1, ZX, a bit of Legends, and the fangames SFxMM, MMU, Rokko-Chan, a bit of Rockmen R (which isn't as great as I hoped it would be), A Day in the Limelight, and this one other one that had this Australian jail level. My first game was a rented Mega Man 4 before I was even 10 years old.

lol, videos like this make me tempted to start making my own videos

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 19th August 2016 17:30

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211242
Posted: 20th August 2016 05:01

Cactuar

Awards:
Sheep Man's music was okay, in hindsight. And my "must not be a true fan derp" comment was obviously tongue in cheek.

But so far I would put MN9 somewhere in the middle of the pack if comparing it to MM and MMX games. Not better than MM2, MM3, MM4, MM9 or MMX, MMX4, MMX8 but better than a lot of the stinkers in between.

But if you haven't played all of Mega Man X4 I suggest you do so, because it's one of the best Mega Man games of all-time. I also really enjoyed Mega Man X8, the last game in the X series. It was the best one since X4. Really, the only great MMX games are MMX, MMX4 and MMX8.

Mega Man Unlimited was excellent.

Have you tried the fan remakes of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8? Someone remade them into 8-bit games and while I LOVED Mega Man 7 SNES, the 8-Bit version of Mega Man 8 especially is better than that (IMO) pile of absolute putrid shit that was Mega Man 8.

--------------------
Post #211246
Posted: 20th August 2016 08:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Those are 7F and 8F (Rockman 7 Famicom and Rockman 8 Famicom).

Also I played Rockman no Constancy. And know about but haven't played Rockman 4 Minus Infinity.

Also for whatever reason I don't really get the big appeal of Mega Man 2. 3 also feels a bit lackluster, but not as horribly unbalanced as 2. Haven't played 9 or 10 though, and 10 seems potentially really awesome (first Wily stage is already confirmed very awesome).

MM7 on SNES I largely didn't much like. There were some gameplay innovations, but the aesthetics just did not work well (the pea shooter actually sounded like a pea shooter lol).

And I think the fangane with the Australian jail is Mega Man Revolution. I played an early version of it though.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 20th August 2016 08:58

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211247
Posted: 20th August 2016 15:03

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 20th August 2016 03:57)
Those are 7F and 8F (Rockman 7 Famicom and Rockman 8 Famicom).

Also I played Rockman no Constancy.  And know about but haven't played Rockman 4 Minus Infinity.

Also for whatever reason I don't really get the big appeal of Mega Man 2.  3 also feels a bit lackluster, but not as horribly unbalanced as 2.  Haven't played 9 or 10 though, and 10 seems potentially really awesome (first Wily stage is already confirmed very awesome).

MM7 on SNES I largely didn't much like.  There were some gameplay innovations, but the aesthetics just did not work well (the pea shooter actually sounded like a pea shooter lol).

And I think the fangane with the Australian jail is Mega Man Revolution.  I played an early version of it though.

Ah ok @ MM7f and MM8f.

Yeah I've at least watched play-throughs of most of the fan games. some of them are nuts.

The big appeal of Mega Man 2 is that it has a perfect soundtrack and some of the best Wily Castle levels. Wily Level 1 in particular has amazing music. I think it's a sentimental/nostalgia thing for me personally, since it was one of the first videogames I can remember playing. I was like 5 when it came out and I can remember Mega Man II and Super Mario Bros. 2 as my first games. But you think it's unbalanced how? I agree that Mega Man 3 is over-rated but it introduced the slide and still had great music and bosses.

I honestly think Mega Man 9 might be the best in the series. It has fantastic music and level design and probably the coolest weapon in all of the games, the Black Hole Bomb. Which isn't a bomb, but creates a literal black hole. And the Wily stages have again, great music and design.

I liked the slightly anime aesthetics of MM7 SNES, but it was the power-ups, music and levels that really did it for me. The Mega Man 7F that you mention is a perfect example of it's excellence.

But onto Mighty No. 9, it is very hard without being frustratingly cheap. The bosses are kicking my arse so far. Haven't spent more than a few hours on it but still I haven't beat a boss.

--------------------
Post #211249
Posted: 20th August 2016 23:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
But you think [Mega Man 2]'s unbalanced how?

There's the infamous Wily Castle boss where you need to know that you have to beat two of its parts with one Crash Bomb, and it deals pretty heavy damage too. And if you screw up, you are shoved back into the stage, and you have to refill your Crash Bomb on a Mech Joe, which is needlessly difficult and irritating.

Beyond that, there's stuff like Flash Man's stage being relatively uninspired and Metal Man's weapon being totally overpowered as compared to everything else (not that later games necessarily did master weapons well, though I'd say the game with the best master weapon design is Mega Man Unlimited). Also little things like final boss being impervious to the Mega Buster.

I also do prefer Mega Man's mobility with the slide, honestly. The charge shot I can do without, but the slide really enhances his mobility and makes him able to dodge things at head level -- something that I've found I really enjoy doing because I've taken a liking to dueling bosses with the Mega Buster (something I couldn't even imagine myself doing as a kid, lol).

And overall I'd say Mega Man 3 and later has better music than Mega Man 2, though Mega Man 2 certainly has its stellar tracks.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211253
Posted: 21st August 2016 01:48

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 20th August 2016 18:11)

There's the infamous Wily Castle boss where you need to know that you have to beat two of its parts with one Crash Bomb, and it deals pretty heavy damage too. And if you screw up, you are shoved back into the stage, and you have to refill your Crash Bomb on a Mech Joe, which is needlessly difficult and irritating.

Beyond that, there's stuff like Flash Man's stage being relatively uninspired and Metal Man's weapon being totally overpowered as compared to everything else (not that later games necessarily did master weapons well, though I'd say the game with the best master weapon design is Mega Man Unlimited). Also little things like final boss being impervious to the Mega Buster.

I also do prefer Mega Man's mobility with the slide, honestly. The charge shot I can do without, but the slide really enhances his mobility and makes him able to dodge things at head level -- something that I've found I really enjoy doing because I've taken a liking to dueling bosses with the Mega Buster (something I couldn't even imagine myself doing as a kid, lol).

And overall I'd say Mega Man 3 and later has better music than Mega Man 2, though Mega Man 2 certainly has its stellar tracks.

Edit: Well I guess MM2 and MM3 have equally good soundtracks to be honest I just prefer MM2. MM3 has that into tho.

Flash Man yeah his stage is bland but the music is tits. I think literally every stage is amoung the best 8-bit music of all time except Heat Man. Especially Bubble Man, Quick Man and Wily's Castle Stage 1. But to each their own. I think it's a masterpiece of a game and the imbalance never bothered me.

BTW I turned Mighty No. 9's stage music to 8-bit pretty much as soon as I got to the options menu but it still isn't loud enough. It's a shame because it's pretty good in it's own right.

If you like MM3's music check this guy out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__sJWMXjE0

There's a part 2 as well as some other medley's.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 21st August 2016 01:51

--------------------
Post #211254
Posted: 21st August 2016 11:00

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th August 2016 17:21)
* the rest of it is basically Jim Sterling shitting on the game (and even admitting that he hadn't even played it!) saying, essentially, "it was mismanaged and therefore it's shit"

There's so little about, y'know, the game itself.  I agree with the first three points -- though NOT with the opinion that the game's concept art changing was a bad thing.

The video's focus was the context. It's not a review. Never claimed to be, and I never said it was. dry.gif

Please point out where he said he hasn't played it. Sorry mate, that's some real confirmation bias going on there, when you're understanding a different thing to words actually said!
He said he got someone else to review it for him because he didn't like it enough to play it enough to properly review it.

He did actually play the game. There's a video on his channel of him playing it.

Did I closely follow the development of the game?  No.
Did I ever use the Backer Forum?  I think I might have posted there like once.  I know I made an account.  But I never regularly read it.
So yes, I'm evaluating this game based almost solely on the product presented at the current time.  I have few expectations other than that it is a Mega-Man-Classic-like platformer that's heavily inspired by Mega Man and stars a Beck and a Call and uses 2.5D graphics.

Yes, I don't have that "context".  And I'm glad I don't.  I'm glad I wasn't doing the day-by-day hour-by-hour handwringing that people do over all sorts of things, from video game releases to political candidate poll numbers.  I learned that that's a stupid perspective on life that just makes me pointlessly anxious and hugely magnifies every possible stumble.

lol, videos like this make me tempted to start making my own videos

I highly suspect this anti-internet hype rant and wanting to support the game comes mainly from justifying your own kickstarter backing. If you enjoy the game, then good for you.

From what I've seen, it looks like a ps2 game.. heavy expository dialogue breaking up the gameplay. If i play an action based game, i want action damnit!

You started this thread to counter the MN9 haters, yeah? Well... are they here?
I dunno man, i don't think it'd have gotten a bad reception if the gameplay is as good as you say..

I'll probably never get around to playing it because there's the rest of the megaman series to try. You're clearly a bigger fan of megaman than me, although did you actually beat all the ones you've played? ;]

Please do make your own videos, i'd be interested.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #211256
Posted: 21st August 2016 15:42

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 20th August 2016 20:48)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 20th August 2016 18:11)

Edit: Well I guess MM2 and MM3 have equally good soundtracks to be honest I just prefer MM2. MM3 has that into tho.

Flash Man yeah his stage is bland but the music is tits. I think literally every stage is amoung the best 8-bit music of all time except Heat Man. Especially Bubble Man, Quick Man and Wily's Castle Stage 1. But to each their own. I think it's a masterpiece of a game and the imbalance never bothered me.

BTW I turned Mighty No. 9's stage music to 8-bit pretty much as soon as I got to the options menu but it still isn't loud enough. It's a shame because it's pretty good in it's own right.

If you like MM3's music check this guy out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__sJWMXjE0

There's a part 2 as well as some other medley's.

Funny that you mention Flash Man's music, which starts out great but has a really uninspiring loop in my opinion. Heat Man's is better than his.

But overall I prefer the more complex, longer tracks from later games. Great examples are ...actually, basically everything from Mega Man 5. The crazy modulations of Crystal Man's theme, the driving beat and mixolydian harmonies of Charge Man's theme, ...y'know, probably among my most favorite of all time are Gravity Man's and Stone Man's themes. Complex accompaniments, textural changes between phrases, tonicizing various keys...it's like each track is a little story on its own, with its ups and downs!

As for the sound balance of MN9, have you tried turning down the voice and sound effect volume? Though I don't know how the PS3 version handles its sound balance...

Also since we're into sharing music: https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
The video's focus was the context. It's not a review.

Fair enough.

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
Please point out where he said he hasn't played it. Sorry mate, that's some real confirmation bias going on there, when you're understanding a different thing to words actually said!
He said he got someone else to review it for him because he didn't like it enough to play it enough to properly review it.

He did actually play the game. There's a video on his channel of him playing it.

Yeah, and in that sense I could also say I've played Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania II, Gex, and Super Smash Bros. Which is to say, sure I've played them (one mission of FFT, one mansion of Cv2, two levels of Gex, and playing through a couple sets of single-player stages of original Smash), but I've played too little of them to properly assess these games.

And since you know me on Steam, you can actually see that I haven't written a review of MN9 yet. I'm not going to do that until I actually finish the game -- or get sick of it. (And then it's a matter of me getting off my tush to put a coherent thing together so it'll take even longer.) Neither of those have happened yet...though to be fair I also haven't been playing MN9 because I've had to move stuff around in the house and the computer with MN9 on it is a little inaccessible at the moment. (Which is why I've been playing 99 Spirits instead.)

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
I highly suspect this anti-internet hype rant and wanting to support the game comes mainly from justifying your own kickstarter backing. If you enjoy the game, then good for you.

From what I've seen, it looks like a ps2 game.. heavy expository dialogue breaking up the gameplay. If i play an action based game, i want action damnit!

I'm not really particularly interested in supporting the game. I already gave them my money, and I got a decent game out of it. This game has definitely not inspired in me the type of love for the game/characters/world/franchise/etc. that I've experienced with stuff like the Ys games...but then again, that's not exactly a common occurrence either.

I do think the internet tends to overreact to stuff, and this is just one example of many.

I never said you had to like it, either. My only point is that this isn't some sort of extremely horrible piece of demonspawn shit from hell that people often imply it is. The game itself is not an epic failure in my book. (The publicity probably is.)

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
You started this thread to counter the MN9 haters, yeah? Well... are they here?
I dunno man, i don't think it'd have gotten a bad reception if the gameplay is as good as you say..

I'll probably never get around to playing it because there's the rest of the megaman series to try. You're clearly a bigger fan of megaman than me, although did you actually beat all the ones you've played? ;]

...I guess you're one of them? Whatever. I mainly started this thread to write down my opinion of the game, in reply to that quote from TrueBOSS. My opinion just happens to be basically anti-hater, so so be it.

Maybe I didn't love original Mega Man subseries enough? I mean, I always thought the X series had better gameplay anyway. Though Classic series does have a distinctive style that's dependable, repeatable without getting old, and reliably interesting and fun to play, and it's something I like to mess with too.

FYI I've beaten the following games without tool-assistance: MM5, MM6, MM7, RM7F, (possibly MM4?), X, ZX, and all the fangames (SFxMM, MMU, Rokko-chan, A Day In The Limelight) since I can't use tool assistance for them. If I bothered to sit down with the GB classic games I could probably easily get through all of them without savestates, since they're rather easy (though that's not to say they're bad games -- they're pretty decent themselves), as well as the BN games. And probably the X games, but I just don't hugely feel like bothering with them since I've seen how they work and I've seen all the routes and upgrades and stuff already. (For me, the main draw of a game is exploration and discovery, not perfection of performance.) The other ones, if I say I've beaten them, I've beaten them using savestates -- and yes, that includes MM1 and MM2, which I don't think I'd care much at all to try to beat without savestates because meh.

Edit
Oh I forgot, I've also gotten through The Power Battle without pumping credits. Was a while back though.

Quote (Blinge Odonata)
Please do make your own videos, i'd be interested.

TIme to dust off my microphone and an old CamStudio install I guess...got any better suggestions?

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 21st August 2016 15:43

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211260
Posted: 21st August 2016 16:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Wow. There are a few members here that really need to stop trying to sound so smart. And I'm not talking about GMH or TB, for the record. Between this thread and the Pokemon Go! thread where I admittedly bashed the game without having played it (it was a rushed and incomplete game that people are praising while at the same time, people are ripping on Mighty No. 9 for taking the time to actually make a polished and finished game. Pokemon Go! is an APP for smartphones. MN9 is a complete game) I think there are a few members here who's butt's are throbbing hard any time someone likes or dislikes something they don't.

Anyway. @ GMH: Yeah I've messed around with the settings for the sound in the game. The best setting for me is Music 100% and SFX and Voices at 25% but I still have to turn my speakers waaaay up to hear the music at a decent level. So my biggest criticism of the game is the terrible mixing. Which would be inexcusable if it were sound engineers making the game but I'm sure they could have hired one for minimal cash or gotten a friend to help because as a person who went to school for Sound Engineering.... it's bad.

But I was playing MN9 again today and I don't get the complaints of how the graphics look. It was a kick-starter game FFS. Oh it looks like a PS2 game. So? What's your point? I think the graphics work and it's the actual character designs that stand out to me. The controls are tight, the levels are interesting and the game is seriously hard. I STILL have not beaten a stage. It reminds me a lot of the first Mega Man in terms of difficulty.

And there is very little in the way of dialogue breaking up the action. It doesn't make you stop and listen, it just pops up in a window at the bottom of the screen and it makes you feel more immersed in the story. The Mega Man X games do this same exact thing. And I've never heard anyone complain about it in those games.

--------------------
Post #211261
Posted: 21st August 2016 17:26

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 21st August 2016 11:55)
Wow. There are a few members here that really need to stop trying to sound so smart. And I'm not talking about GMH or TB, for the record.

Subtle.

Chip on your shoulder much, Dynamic?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211263
Posted: 21st August 2016 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Dynamic Threads)
Wow. There are a few members here that really need to stop trying to sound so smart.

Uh, before your post saying this, there's no one else other than me, you, TrueBOSS, and Blinge Odonata. So it's rather clear you're referring to Blinge Odonata.

Blinge's style is like this; make sure you focus on the content of the message, not the person delivering it.

And no, I don't need help dealing with him; we regularly chat on Steam anyway.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211265
Posted: 22nd August 2016 04:46

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I'm not going to lie. I think this game was doomed on day one. People had already decided they where going to hate this game months before it came out so I'm sure a lot of people just hopped on the game to look for something to complain about. I do think that between how much money and time went into MN9, it should have been and very well could have been more (which is why i hope it gets a sequel). To me this game looks like a standard pilot. Throwing out an idea to see how it does. If it does well, more resources and care will be put into a sequel. I personally feel there where issues on the development level between the developers that we may not know about. I constantly see R.L. examples at my job on how much a good team can get done over one where no one gets along or wants to work together. If they had a bad development team, that would explain how long the game took. Though it does leave me still wondering how this pilot went through 3 mil (or however much it was). Either way. Glenn is right. This game is no where near bad. I think it just never did anything Super Amazing (at least for most people). I might try it if I see a copy the next time I go pawn shop hoping. The good thing about it being short is I can beat it without sinking too much of my free time into it.

Btw, as i was typing this. I remembered that Street fighter game that came out earlier this year that a bunch of people where pissed off about. Maybe that has something do with the hate train for MN9? People where hoping MN9 would give capcom a kick in the butt so they would stop doing stupid things like that again.

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 22nd August 2016 04:51

--------------------
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211268
Posted: 22nd August 2016 04:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 21st August 2016 13:32)
Quote (Dynamic Threads)
Wow. There are a few members here that really need to stop trying to sound so smart.

Uh, before your post saying this, there's no one else other than me, you, TrueBOSS, and Blinge Odonata. So it's rather clear you're referring to Blinge Odonata.

Blinge's style is like this; make sure you focus on the content of the message, not the person delivering it.

And no, I don't need help dealing with him; we regularly chat on Steam anyway.

I was honestly not referring to Blinge, it was more of a general statement about some recent threads on the forums but the discussion in this one was bordering on that; though I could see the banter between the two of you was mostly respectable. I did mention the Pokemon Go thread in my post.

I'm just kind of dumbfounded by the hypocrisy on the internet these days in general. And this game's polarizing effect is a microcosm of it. And people trying to sound way to smart with big words organized in a nonsensical manner with no coherency.

Opinions are fine but most people try to be absolute in theirs. As it stands, I hadn't heard anything good about MN9 to begin with but the talk on the forums here and in the other thread peaked my interest. I have a philosophy, if everyone sings a game's praises it most likely is overrated, likewise, if people are relentlessly tearing a game to shreds, it's most likely underrated.

MN9 falls into the latter, IMO.

--------------------
Post #211270
Posted: 22nd August 2016 10:52

Awards:
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 22nd August 2016 04:55)
I was honestly not referring to Blinge, it was more of a general statement about some recent threads on the forums but the discussion in this one was bordering on that;

I'm just kind of dumbfounded by the hypocrisy on the internet these days in general. And this game's polarizing effect is a microcosm of it. And people trying to sound way to smart with big words organized in a nonsensical manner with no coherency.

No need to mince words, If you have a problem DT just come out and say it.

A general theme in GMH's discourse is that he strongly opposes any sort of group/ mob mentality.The philosophy is pretty applicable to the MN9 hype/anti hype train, I'll admit.
However, to dismiss all criticism as internet hysteria is just as absolute..

I'm extricating myself from this thread now as I've previously said I've yet to play most megaman games, so MN9 will be waiting a long time. I'm more of a classicvania man anyway.

If you're all content to ignore the gameplay based examples I've touched on for its bad reception, then fair enough.
The official flag-olly.gif word is: MN9 is fine and everyone on the internet is dumb! apart from the smart people on this forum ;]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #211271
Posted: 22nd August 2016 16:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
[QUOTE=Dynamic Threads,21st August 2016 23:55] [QUOTE=Glenn Magus Harvey,21st August 2016 13:32]
[...]
if everyone sings a game's praises it most likely is overrated, likewise, if people are relentlessly tearing a game to shreds, it's most likely underrated. [/QUOTE]
People use big words to express all sorts of sentiments anyway. It isn't an especially big hypocrisy, especially when whether the idea is stupid is a matter of opinion.

I agree with that latter bit, but perhaps changing "most likely" to just "likely" -- people do hate on or fawn over something for a reason, but it's just not necessarily a reason that one agrees with.

[QUOTE=Blinge Odonata]A general theme in GMH's discourse is that he strongly opposes any sort of group/ mob mentality.[/QUOTE]
Not sure how much I specifically oppose group mentality -- if anything, I just happen to be in some less popular groups and I'm actually happy if they get more attention, like I'm happy that Pokémon became the worldwide phenom that it is, and I readily praise Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and the Ys games.

Though I guess you're right in the sense that I do enjoy being independent in my opinions, preferring to form them without considering others' opinions, and do feel a stronger desire to represent my opinion when it turns out to be an unpopular one. Maybe it's because gaming is primarily a personal rather than social hobby for me, or maybe it's because I've had various experiences of enjoying or not enjoying things (not just games) that people said were (respectively) bad or good.

Besides, there's only so much you can discuss about assessing something you already agree on tongue.gif

As for MN9, I'm pretty sure that if it were just developed by some unknown indie devteam, it would get a mildly positive reaction, people would say it's clearly inspired by Mega Man but has a new twist of dashing into weakened enemies, and it'd probably have a "Positive" or a "Mostly Positive" aggregated userscore on Steam. It's a bit unpolished, and could probably get a better score if it were better implemented (e.g. lip flaps during cutscenes and better character dialogue)...but then again, this game somehow gets a "Very Positive" score despite my finding it rather repetitive and not too interesting. (Now that's a pretty obscure game, no hype nor anti-hype for it.)

As for why my opinion on MN9 differs from the consensus, I think there are legit differences that are due to the game itself as opposed to the hype/publicity. Probably comes from people's different expectation or desires from a game of this sort. For example, some people have expressed disappointment that there's a lack of hard-to-reach secrets, while for me, I don't mind that at all. So, maybe there are more people who care about a lack of hard-to-reach secrets, than people who don't care about it. Or something like that.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 22nd August 2016 16:47

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211273
Posted: 23rd August 2016 06:04

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
As for MN9, I'm pretty sure that if it were just developed by some unknown indie devteam, it would get a mildly positive reaction, people would say it's clearly inspired by Mega Man but has a new twist of dashing into weakened enemies, and it'd probably have a "Positive" or a "Mostly Positive" aggregated userscore on Steam. It's a bit unpolished, and could probably get a better score if it were better implemented (e.g. lip flaps during cutscenes and better character dialogue)...but then again, this game somehow gets a "Very Positive" score despite my finding it rather repetitive and not too interesting. (Now that's a pretty obscure game, no hype nor anti-hype for it.)

I agree for the most part but there's one glaring thing this game did that I'm certain would kept it from a positive rating even if an indie team made it. And that's the fact it was bricking people Wii U's. I'm certain this would have been considered outrageous no matter who made it. And for good reason. Breaking the whole console? That's one hell of a bug to miss during testing. Not being a wii u user though, I never felt compelled to read up on how the MN9 devs handled this. Non the less. Not having anything exponential to counter this blight on there record would most likely lead to everyone focusing on this negative fact about the game than the positives. (Kind of like how I've heard people saying that Batman Arkham Knight was bad because of its terrible pc release despite them playing it on consoles and not having played the pc version in the first place)

Btw, just a curious question. Why is Megaman 8 largely considered bad? I rather liked that entry and thought it was an interesting new story for the franchise.

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 23rd August 2016 06:06

--------------------
Post #211275
Posted: 23rd August 2016 08:31

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 23rd August 2016 01:04)
Btw, just a curious question. Why is Megaman 8 largely considered bad? I rather liked that entry and thought it was an interesting new story for the franchise.

If I were to hazard a guess, it would probably be the absolute shit show that is the USA VA work.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211276
Posted: 23rd August 2016 20:57

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 23rd August 2016 01:04)

I think the controls are awful, personally. They feel very sluggish. The power-ups are lame, the bosses are uninspired and the levels are bland. I think the art style from Mega Man 7 to Mega Man 8 was actually a downgrade, despite the 32-Bit upgrade. It looked like it was drawn with crayons (compare it to Mega Man X 4's slick anime graphics). Terrible voice-acting. Basic AF compared to the much more progressive Mega Man X4, which was released a mere six months later. Add in that the fantastic Mega Man Legends itself was released only a year later and you have a very piss poor showing for the flagship Mega Man series.

The entire game just felt uninspired, to me. It didn't add anything new or unique to the series and it essentially killed the main series of Mega Man games until the retro Mega Man 9 over a decade later.

In contrast, Mega Man 7, although released after the rather breath-taking Mega Man X and criticized unfairly in comparison to the new series, was a welcome upgrade from the stale 8-bit games. It carried over some new features from Mega Man 6, had a fantastic soundtrack and some very challenging bosses/levels. In my opinion, it stood out enough from the aesthetics of Mega Man X. Instead of intricate, futuristic designs and a Heavy Metal soundtrack, it was colorful, simple and fun with a classic 8-bit soundtrack. I always loved having the Rush support system and the game felt very fresh in comparison to the (again) stale Mage Man 5 and 6. Mega Man 8 didn't make enough of a graphical/aesthetic leap or have enough innovations in the gameplay.

--------------------
Post #211282
Posted: 23rd August 2016 21:39

Black Waltz

Awards:
I remember reading in the EGM reviews for it that they wished it had done something more interesting than increase the number of onscreen enemies that are possible for the system to produce at once without slowing down.

If you look past the window dressing, it is basically Mega Man 7 with Roll filling in for Auto, and the number of bolts you need to buy stuff is extremely limited, as there are a limited number of bolts that you can find in the game, and enemies no longer drop them.

The Mega Ball is kind of insulting to a fanbase that had been playing Mega Man since it came out...obviously these people were in their late teens/early twenties when 8 arrived, and Capcom gives them...a ball? A freaking ball? Seriously. "Here's a ball, kids! Time to go home!"

Interestingly, it is the only Mega Man game where he can swim. I wonder why they took it out, oh yeah, he's made of metal, why doesn't he sink? Derp.

The music is forgettable. I mean, I can call up Tengu Man's stage theme, I think. I don't remember any of the other music. Mega Man and Bass had much better music, and that was basically MM8's engine running on the SNES, and later the GBA. Who did the awful, craptacular music for MM8? I mean, 5 and 6 weren't all that wonderful when it came to music (too cartoony in 5, too slight in 6), but 7 had some nice tunes. What happened? I'm struggling to even remember the boss music.

The voice acting is not just bad. Calling it "bad" is like calling the Hindenburg "a blimp accident." I mean, Dr. Light clearly is speaking with a speech impediment on par with Elmer Fudd, and can't even get his lines out right some of the time. Whose idea was that? Mega Man seems quite obviously voiced by a diminutive woman, possibly a teenage girl. Whose idea was that? Did they think Western audiences wanted to hear Mega Man sound like a teenage girl? Did they really sit down in their conference rooms and think that, and say that? WHAT?! I don't know what the JP voice acting was like, but the USA version was just a fucking shit show.

The shooter sections were an attempt to do something interesting, but they are too few and far between, and devoid of any real variety, to matter.

The section in Blizzard Man's level where the game is telling you "JUMP JUMP" and "SLIDE SLIDE" have resulted in many a rage quit. That should have been made simple enough to where you didn't need prompts, but that would have required better level design than they had on hand, it seems, so they just stuck in an annoying robot voice yelling at you every two seconds. I detest that section with a passion.

The animation has gone from "somewhat cartoony" with MM7 to "extremely Warner Brothers cartoony" with Mega Man 8. When MM gets hit, he throws his head back, his arms go to his sides, and his fingers splay out. ...Huh? There are a lot more examples, but I don't know enough about the art of animation to be able to describe them properly.

The bosses are the worst bunch in the entire series. Sword Man is the only cool thing among them, I think. "Astro Man?" "Clown Man."

Wait. Just let that sink in. "Clown Man." Yes there is a Clown Man. Because we all know, Clowns are highly dangerous and threatening and not annoying at all.

The entire package reeks of having had too many cooks spoiling the broth. Something tells me that that "Anniversary" logo on the cover is to blame...the game seems rushed beyond belief.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 23rd August 2016 21:42

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211284
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: