CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Alternate Endings

Posted: 4th August 2015 18:19

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
*Spoilers below*

So, I was randomly looking around while at work today and thought a bit about the FF6 endings. Normally when I play this game, I can't stand *not* getting everyone in the World of Ruin, and realized that I'd never actually done a playthrough of skipping people (either to make some content harder, skip espers, etc.). Ever since my first ever play through as a kid when I didn't figure out to wait for Shadow, I've never actually wanted to play without getting him again, just like I had to collect every character in the WoR before beating the game.

Here's what I'm getting at. I randomly looked at the FF6 ending again on a whim, and noticed something I hadn't really thought about before, like alternate ending scenes depending on who you have. Here's some random link showing one of the ones I'm talking about it:

FF6 ending

Obviously if you don't have Shadow, his whole scene won't play, or Umaro, or Mog, etc. However, Relm's ending scene has Strago in it, and both are optional. If you get Relm without Strago, her end cutscene plays out entirely differently as in the link above, which is frankly something I've never witnessed.

There are more like this. Celes' scene has Locke who is optional. Edgar's scene has Sabin and Sabin *is* actually optional (with of course the WoR being a little more difficult without picking him up). I hadn't really considered how Celes' scene played out without Locke, or Edgar & Sabin's scene without Sabin. Would Duane and Katarin's baby scene still even play if you never picked up Terra? Sure, she will come join you at the end anyway, but why would you give two craps about the kids without doing her sidequest?

Have any of you played through this way intentionally to see the alternate scenes like getting Relm but not Strago (etc.), or simply enjoyed a playthrough of Celes, Edgar, and Setzer only? It's weird for me to think there's content in the game I haven't seen!
Post #209471
Posted: 2nd September 2015 02:38

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Though I was aware that certain scenes changed, I can't say I ever tried to get them. I'm usually not the kind of player who leaves out something (characters or whatnot) in order to make the game more challenging, heh, so I never had much motive.

Though I did catch, scrolling through those images, that Maduin tells Terra "if the human part of you is very strongly attached to something or someone..." I'm not sure that I've ever noticed that specifically before. One doesn't really encounter ambiguity like that in games very frequently anymore. For a game that develops its characters with such care and precision over the majority of the game, to suddenly leave the last word totally up in the air like that--. There are obviously several things in that ending that one doesn't see in games very frequently anymore, not least of which is the fact that there are multiple characters one could simply miss or not get, but this one really struck me.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #209544
Posted: 2nd September 2015 07:31

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
That's one of the things they were very clever about. They were able to cleanly close the story off, yet throw in surprises. Most other games would've made it clear who they were alluding to, and most movies would've shown a scene of her wedding, robbing us of any mystery.

I'm not sure about all the changes, but I do know that they did give clues about how to find people if you didn't get them. Like with Locke, they'd show a shot of the Phoenix Cave after Celes finds Locke's scarf. I'm not sure about the others, though.

--------------------
Post #209547
Posted: 3rd September 2015 21:42

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 2nd September 2015 03:31)
That's one of the things they were very clever about. They were able to cleanly close the story off, yet throw in surprises. Most other games would've made it clear who they were alluding to, and most movies would've shown a scene of her wedding, robbing us of any mystery.

I'm not sure about all the changes, but I do know that they did give clues about how to find people if you didn't get them. Like with Locke, they'd show a shot of the Phoenix Cave after Celes finds Locke's scarf. I'm not sure about the others, though.

I'd totally forgotten about that, Blitz -- which of course would've been super useful, since upon seeing Locke's scarf (or what have you) in the credits you could easily re-load the game and seek him out (or whichever other character, with those couple exceptions).

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #209554
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: