CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Possible FF4 and FF2 connection?

Posted: 2nd December 2008 02:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Did anyone ever notice that in Final Fantasy 2,(the real 2, not 4) The dragoon named Ricard had a son...
not just any son...
his son is blonde, said that he will be a dragoon just like his father, and his name is Kain.
Any coincidence that Ricard and Kain are both Dragoons?
And most links to Kains childhood are shrowded in darkness...

Post what you think about this possible link...

--------------------
A creature born from eternal darkness and heavenly light. One single entity, birthed of two opposites. They somehow coexist, to create I, the Lunarian Prince...
Post #173574
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:16
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
No.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #173596
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
No.
Post #173597
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:19

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Nope.

IIRC that was an easter egg slipped into a translation precisely for the fun reasoning of "Ha ha it's funny because Kain is a Dragoon too!". I may be wrong.

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #173598
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:19

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
No.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #173599
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:40

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Everyone)
No
QFT

--------------------
Post #173600
Posted: 2nd December 2008 19:49

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I thought that is was more than just a coincedence that the 2 characters had the same name. I mean I know that both games take place in entirely different lands, but the 2 characters are so much alike that it is almost as though they were the same character...but they were not.
Try this one on for size...
In the US, Final Fantasy 4 was released to us as Final Fantasy 2.
Hardly any point off that, but I thought it worth mentioning...

--------------------
A creature born from eternal darkness and heavenly light. One single entity, birthed of two opposites. They somehow coexist, to create I, the Lunarian Prince...
Post #173601
Posted: 2nd December 2008 20:10
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I repeat:

No.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #173602
Posted: 2nd December 2008 20:27

Eli MVP?

Awards:
Not another one of these threads.
No.

Edit: I find it rather odd that because their might be a tie inbetween one final fantasy game and another people just jump on it. Like how i think a mission in tactics has it signed by setzer so people were like FFT and FF6 connection! But it could be possible, or it could not be. Don't you just love cliffhangers?

This post has been edited by yomama on 3rd December 2008 02:11
Post #173603
Posted: 2nd December 2008 20:35

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Not a chance.
Post #173604
Posted: 2nd December 2008 21:43

Crusader

Awards:
What they said.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
That's no.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #173606
Posted: 2nd December 2008 21:44

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Never!
Post #173607
Posted: 3rd December 2008 00:11

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
CoN Rules:
Spam is defined as junking up the forum with useless (or worse) topics. Spam clutters up the forums, making them frustrating for people to read; spam usually attracts more spam in the form of people posting about how lame the original spam was; and spam lowers the overall first impression a new visitor is likely to have of the forums. So, keep our forums clean, and please don't do any of the following:

a. Very short or one-word posts: If all you have to say is "me too", don't say it. Don't clutter up an in-depth topic about Setzer's inner foibles with "setzer ownz he is teh kewl." In short, try to elaborate upon your opinion and bring some real meat to any discussion you participate in.

This especially applies when you're posting it just to be a douche. I'll leave this open in case anybody wants to go further with any references/ideas between the two, like Del did, rather than just pile on.

This post has been edited by Neal on 3rd December 2008 00:12

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #173619
Posted: 3rd December 2008 07:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Don't forget the apparent "connection" to FFVII also: Cid HIGHWIND

Cid also wields a spear, he has blonde hair, etc.

I do not believe the stories are in any way connected. The people at Square just like to name their Dragoons "Highwind."

This post has been edited by THE_MAN on 3rd December 2008 07:36

--------------------
"My name is Atma...I am a power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form...Feeble creatures of flesh...Your time is nigh!"
Post #173625
Posted: 3rd December 2008 18:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I have never played Final Fantasy's #7-12,
(I have 10-2 and 12, but can't play them because my PS2 doesn't work)
so if I'm wrong, then oh well. But isn't Cid in most Final Fantasy games...
I know that he is in FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, and FF6.
No link really there because he never really looks the same in any two games.

Why I suggested Kain is because in FF2, we only see Ricard's son Kain as a little kid who doesn't like strangers and wants to be the best dragoon ever. In the Dawn of Souls mission, Kain does say he will be the best dragoon ever, and his dead father's said that he will be the best dragoon because the blood of the dragoons flows strong with him. Once again, I may be wrong, but wasn't Ricard's full name Ricard Highwind.

And in FF4, Kain has seemingly no past besides in the DS version where as a young kid(how he was last seen in FF2) he is raised with Cecil. Any coincidence that the two have the same name, same look, and seemingly the same past. They might just like to use the name Kain.

I don't know for sure, but continue to post thoughts here...

--------------------
Post #173627
Posted: 3rd December 2008 21:04

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Look, it takes more than one generation for continental drift to take place. The two worlds in FF II and FF IV are so different in appearance (not to mention the place names being incredibly different) that it really isn't possible that those two Kains are the same person. THE_MAN is correct - Square just liked naming dragoons Highwind, there's no real connection between the two Kains.

And yeah, Cid is in every single FF game from II through XII, except I'm not sure if he's in XI or not. He's almost always connected to technology - in every single game except for VIII he's some kind of engineer or pilot that is some kind of inventor or airship expert.

--------------------
Post #173633
Posted: 4th December 2008 00:13

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Cid that I know of has had airship affiliations in FF2, FF3, FF4, and FF5.
As for Kain, I don't care about the last name, it's the first name and the appearance. I don't believe that there is any other Kain in the Final Fantasy genre except in FF2 and FF4.

--------------------
Post #173642
Posted: 4th December 2008 01:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
That son didn't have a name in the original version of FFII.

And while both Ricard and Kain's name is "Highwind", so it FFVII Cid's, so it'a really just a Dragoon name.

It's more of a nod than a actual connection, kind of how Shinra in FFX-2 says he want sot harvest energy from the planet or something like that.

Also, in the same vein of how they named the kind Kain in the FFII remakes, there is a mention in the DoS remake of FFI of Cid. One of the Lufeinish people says something along the lines of "One of our ancestors made the first airship. His name was Cid." Don't quote me on that exact line though.

This post has been edited by yelanates on 4th December 2008 01:55
Post #173645
Posted: 4th December 2008 12:21

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 3rd December 2008 23:04)
And yeah, Cid is in every single FF game from II through XII, except I'm not sure if he's in XI or not.

He's there, also an engineer. Awfully cheery.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #173655
Posted: 4th December 2008 19:55

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
In the DoS version of FF2, his name is Kain. And I don't know as to a rumor of a Cid in FF1.

--------------------
Post #173662
Posted: 5th December 2008 22:29
Lunarian

Awards:
Hey guys!! Guess what I just noticed! Both FFII and FFIV have a town called "Mysidia"! And BOTH have black/white mages!!

This post has been edited by NeoEx-Death on 5th December 2008 22:29
Post #173696
Posted: 5th December 2008 22:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Hi, NED. Did you miss the part where Neal told people not to be douches in this thread?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #173697
Posted: 9th December 2008 18:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
One, i agree as for you being a douche NeoEx-Death. Sorry, but that much was kind of obvious(the Mysidia thing). If that wasn't obvious enough, than where if the link does exist would the rest of FF2's towns like Fynn,ect. I think that the Characters are the same but nothing about the towns or overworlds being the same.

Moderator Edit
While agreement with mods is always appreciated, nobody said you could call anyone a douche. Leave the namecalling to the mods, please, you're not going to make anyone appreciate your point of view any more by doing it yourself. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 9th December 2008 18:26

--------------------
Post #173762
Posted: 10th December 2008 00:40

Behemoth

Awards:
i'm sure there are connections between all of them. who knows? i mean, the same team has worked on just about all of them, especially on the older ones. so, maybe there's more of a connection than we think, not just in names.

--------------------
Post #173767
Posted: 10th December 2008 19:49

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Well there are Crystals in FF1, FF3, FF4, and FF5 that I know of, yet there is no relevance there...

--------------------
Post #173777
Posted: 12th December 2008 23:22

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Cactuar1 @ 4th December 2008 11:55)
In the DoS version of FF2, his name is Kain.

It's been years since I played a fan-translated version of FFII, but I think I'd remember if the kid was called "Kain Highwind." I don't, so my guess is that it was not in the original version. I've never played the DoS version.

But here's my guess: this is a sort of "retcon" being done by Squenix. I would say that originally there was absolutely no connection between FFII and FFIV. It was a firmly established rule that, outside of certain things like Chocobos and guys named Cid, each FF was a self-contained world unrelated to any other FF. But recently they've been abandoning that rule and trying to establish subtle connections between the series (along with outright direct sequels). So while I agree that logically it makes no sense, my guess is that they put this into the DoS version, yes, to imply a possible connection between the two games and the two worlds. But I think if they were to follow it past the point of a fan-service easter egg, it would start to unravel b/c there are just too many disconnects. It would never work because the worlds of FFII and FFIV are two completely different worlds, and that's the way they were originally intended to be.

This post has been edited by MetroidMorphBall on 12th December 2008 23:27
Post #173842
Posted: 13th December 2008 06:23

Lunarian

Awards:
I think that one simply cannot draw conclusions this large by linking names together. It may just be a coincidence, or it may just be something the creators added in for fun, but either way, the Final Fantasy worlds are so far from similar that I have to say, there is simply no solid evidence to draw a conclusion like you are trying to draw. So, sorry, but my answer is, NO.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #173856
Posted: 15th December 2008 23:26

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
[QUOTE]I think that one simply cannot draw conclusions this large by linking names together.[QUOTE]

Sephiroth,
Have you even read everything that everyone has posted or are you just posting to get yourself noticed?
If you had read, you would also know that I had mentioned the hair color (blonde), and the fact that one says that he will become a great dragoon, and the other does become a dragoon. I don't ever remember jumping to any conclusions either. I do however, think it is more than a coincidence...I'm just saying.

--------------------
Post #173894
Posted: 19th December 2008 19:44

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
The Final Fantasy series has long been known for tying its games together with various common aspects or features.

Similarities between any two games are not surprising at all.

If you're arguing that that places all the games in a sort of expanded universe/multiverse, then that's a different story. If not, then I'll echo everyone else's "no" answer.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #174008
Posted: 20th December 2008 22:08

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th December 2008 19:44)
The Final Fantasy series has long been known for tying its games together with various common aspects or features.

If you're arguing that that places all the games in a sort of expanded universe/multiverse, then that's a different story.  If not, then I'll echo everyone else's "no" answer.

FFCompendium

Yeah, that is pretty well documented.

Storywise, too, there were elements and themes that each game had in common; such as crystals, rebellions, so on and so forth.

An actual connection, however, would mean that the two games would be tied through a singular canon, instead of being two separate universes that are only tied through name, genre, and a few crossovers.

--------------------
Post #174061
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: