CoN 20th Anniversary: 1997-2017
CoN World Cup Ready to Go!

Posted: 5th June 2018 14:38

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 28)
Thanks to some help from Harlequin, we're now ready to go for CoN World Cup 2018. If you've been at CoN for a while, you've probably seen our soccer prediction games in the past, mainly populated by Europeans and weirdo Americans. Well, now's your chance to be one of us!

https://narshe.me/CoNWC2018

CoN's soccer prediction games are not fantasy sports, so you don't need to really know very much about soccer to play. In short, we play a game in which you predict the scores of matches at the world's biggest sporting event, and you get points based on how good your guesses are. If it sounds simple, it is; for more details, just go sign up at the link above and then look through the rules to learn when and how to predict matches. You enter by choosing the country you think will win, which can be changed any time before the tournament starts in 10 days. After entering, you can predict as many of the first 48 matches as you like, at any time before they start. We even allow you to make random picks so all you need to do is make a couple clicks to be done.

If you have questions about the game, the World Cup, or soccer in general, or want advice on your picks, feel free to post here or come to chat. If you're looking for more resources, try these (or share your own!).

Skybet Odds to Win
ESPN's World Cup Coverage
BBC World Cup Coverage

user posted image

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 5th June 2018 16:29

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214907
Posted: 5th June 2018 15:46

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I promised my mother I would never gamble. Setzer, I ain't.

But I do like Football.

--------------------
0 is the best number.
Post #214908
Posted: 13th June 2018 16:25

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 28)
Tomorrow is the first match, so if you want to sign up soon enough to get bonus points, you have to be in by kickoff!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #214943
Posted: 14th June 2018 14:00

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 28)
Any mediocre software programmer - like yours truly - will quickly tell you that dealing with time zones is the worst.

That's my way of saying that I screwed up all the match times. They should be fixed now. Sorry for anyone who was planning to wait another few hours to predict the first match!

--------------------

Post #214948
Posted: 15th June 2018 19:55

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoNBA, 2006. 
See More (Total 10)
Well...that was a game...

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #214956
Posted: 16th June 2018 12:26

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 28)
Don't forget to keep making picks, people. smile.gif

Yesterday was a really fun slate of games, to echo Gears' point. Not just Portugal/Spain, which was an absolute blast to watch, but Morocco/Iran was a lot of end-to-end action between two nations that played far better than I expected and Egypt/Uruguay was extremely tense. Both of those games were just crushing at the end.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 18th June 2018 13:40

--------------------

Post #214959
Posted: 18th June 2018 04:26

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoNBA, 2006. 
See More (Total 10)
I managed to make picks for all the games today and still got 0 points 🤦‍♂️. This year is kicking my butt. Watch Belgium and England get smoked tomorrow, too

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #214967
Posted: 18th June 2018 07:31

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I feel bad about not jumping on board this when I had the chance.

I didn't want to invest the time to decide who to pick here, after my experiences of taking annoyingly forever to go through all the stuff for March Madness events.

Well, now the people in my meatspace vicinity are talking about this. And even more than March Madness.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 18th June 2018 07:32

--------------------
It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.

my Backloggery
Post #214968
Posted: 18th June 2018 13:39

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 28)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 18th June 2018 01:31)
I feel bad about not jumping on board this when I had the chance.

I didn't want to invest the time to decide who to pick here, after my experiences of taking annoyingly forever to go through all the stuff for March Madness events.

Well, now the people in my meatspace vicinity are talking about this. And even more than March Madness.

You can still play. A lot of people have been missing out on making picks, so the only thing you'd miss out on if you got in now would be the bonus points for picking a winner. And, to be honest, most of the favorites for the tournament have looked pretty poor so far, so even those of us who DID make picks might be worried at the moment!

--------------------

Post #214971
Posted: 18th June 2018 18:23

Chimera

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
I just noticed when I make picks on my phone it stores my outcomes as “draws”, regardless of what I choose for the score, so watch out for that (if I go back and edit it after it’s been submitted it works, though)

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #214981
Posted: 18th June 2018 19:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 28)
Quote (Gears @ 18th June 2018 12:23)
I just noticed when I make picks on my phone it stores my outcomes as “draws”, regardless of what I choose for the score, so watch out for that (if I go back and edit it after it’s been submitted it works, though)

Thanks for the heads-up, most of the code that runs this pre-dates wide mobile use. I'll try to get a look at that if I get a chance in the next couple days. I suspect it's due to my attempt long ago to check the scores to try to avoid people picking a different winner than their scores indicated.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 18th June 2018 19:23

--------------------

Post #214983
Posted: Yesterday at 16:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 28)
Today has been an absolute blast for neutral fans or people who just like the underdog, I suspect. And the prediction scores have suffered accordingly, except for Death Penalty who managed to predict POL 1 - 2 SEN accurately and got four points for it. Can't wait for the last game of the day. heart.gif

--------------------

Post #214991
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: