CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Toughest ff7 boss?

Posted: 31st July 2008 22:52

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I always had the most problem with the Demon Wall. Forced Aeris when I generally didn't develop her was a problem, especially given that it's a pretty tough boss to begin with.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #171008
Posted: 1st August 2008 02:04

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
While I have to say on a whole Ruby Weapon was harder, I definitely agree that Demon Wall was disgustingly hard. Also, that thing from the Shinra Mansion that comes out of the vault, the half purple, half red thing. I can't think of it's name, but I went in with Cloud, Nanaki and Aeris... it wouldn't stop killing Cloud and Nanaki, and Aeris couldn't heal them fast enough, so she ended up bludgeoning it to death. How, I have no idea, but she managed. So while it may not be the hardest it was certainly hard enough, and god I hated it.

The whole Barret v/s Dyne thing took me quite a few times too. I don't like using Barret... he's too much of a Mr. T ripoff.

--------------------
CloudxAeris=Undying Love. ^_^
Post #171012
Posted: 1st August 2008 04:45

Onion Knight

Awards:
I believe you are speaking of Lost Number. I had a problem with him too, before I realized how much of an idiot I was. I kept leaving the purple (physical) side alive. The physical side has an attack called Lost Blow, which did about 3000 damage to my characters who didn't even have 2000 HP. In case you haven't noticed, those numbers don't add up well. At least, for me anyway.

--------------------
I'm a little Wombat, short and stout
Here is my tail and here is my snout
But if you get me angry and I start to snarl
WATCH OUT OR I'LL BITE YOU'RE HEAD OFF!!!
Post #171021
Posted: 2nd August 2008 20:14

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
not counting the weapons (I don't think they really count as bosses), the boss that gives me the most trouble is the materia keeper. surprised that no one else mentioned that one. Much harder than demon wall I think

--------------------
kweh!
Post #171104
Posted: 6th August 2008 05:54

Onion Knight

Awards:
I beat Ruby easily through some sheer dumb luck, but Emerald mopped the floor with me.
Post #171216
Posted: 14th August 2008 16:04
Returner

The most difficult boss without using the guide, when i first played was emerald weapon, no underwater materia, so only 10 minutes to beat him, and not having the foggiest how to beat the Aire Tam attack...
Post #171528
Posted: 22nd August 2008 03:24

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (kirksoos @ 14th August 2008 16:04)
The most difficult boss without using the guide, when i first played was emerald weapon, no underwater materia, so only 10 minutes to beat him, and not having the foggiest how to beat the Aire Tam attack...

You have 20 mins without the Underwater materia.

--------------------
I'm a little Wombat, short and stout
Here is my tail and here is my snout
But if you get me angry and I start to snarl
WATCH OUT OR I'LL BITE YOU'RE HEAD OFF!!!
Post #171710
Posted: 22nd August 2008 20:09
Returner

Well if your going to include ruby and emerald, id go with emerald just because his attacks are far more devastating.

Before anyone becomes an expert, Rapps, Demon wall, and Lost Number, Rapps, is very hard due to the fact no materia, and his Aero 3 attack.
Demon Wall is hard because your forced to have aeris with you and it attcks constantly and has a powerful magic guard. Lost Number is difficult because once one side of it dies its attacks get unfairly strong
Post #171719
Posted: 23rd August 2008 20:02
Returner

Ruby isnt that hard o0
I just beat him a few minutes ago, took me 8 or 9 minutes, i dont know.

Emerald is the hardest in my opinion, cause i always die at that Aire Taim Storm thingy, is does 9999 dmg and im down.

And i ANY video i watch, they dont take ANY damage from that.
What equipment do these guys where ? X_x
Post #171736
Posted: 23rd August 2008 22:19

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Aire Tam Storm does damage based on how much materia you have, 1111 dmg/materia

now, if you don't mind being a bit of an A-hole, you can easily achieve an emerald win, have 2 HP+ mastered materia on a char with High HP already, just make sure that with materia, HP=9999, well, since it will then hit for 2222, 9999-2222=7777; yep, the Lucky Sevens berserk OMG WTF 64 straight attacks will most likely kill, if not it will severely stomp him.

Or, being even more of an A-hole, stick Barret with as many Mastered Materia as friggin possible, and his ultimate weapon, and you probably can one-hit Emerald I think.

On that same note, just kill A LOT of low-level crud with Vincent's ultimate weapon, each kill increases his damage, and eventually, it will glitch to UNGODLY amounts of damage, and one-hit Emerald (I think these both work on emerald, not sure on Ruby)

This post has been edited by MythrilShotgun on 23rd August 2008 22:20

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Post #171739
Posted: 24th August 2008 08:48
Returner

Awesome, thank you smile.gif
Post #171746
Posted: 26th August 2008 21:21
Returner

youre right, it is 20 minutes, i do apologise.
Post #171821
Posted: 26th August 2008 21:56

Engineer

Awards:
I'm sure Ruby or Emerald weapon are difficult (but I don't encounter them so that takes away the difficulty!), but I had too much trouble with Carry Armor. If I remember correctly, Ramuh was a saving grace.

--------------------
Post #171825
Posted: 27th August 2008 01:18

Onion Knight

Awards:
thanks MythrilShotgun, I'm gonna try that when i replay FFVII biggrin.gif
Post #171829
Posted: 28th August 2008 05:57

Lunarian

Awards:
Quote (CombatWombat @ 31st July 2008 11:22)
Yes there is. Get Barret or Cid or Cloud or Yuffie and set their limit break to one that hits a lot (AngerMax, Highwind, Omnislash, Doom of the Living). Equip their Ultimate Weapon and the Wizard's Bracelet and Sprint Shoes. Fill every slot with Mime+Counter. Get their Limit Break ready before they go into battle. Once in battle use thier Limit Break right away. Then sit back and watch the slaughter. As soon as Emmy breaths heavily on them they will respond with 8, yep count em 8, more Limits. And if that doesn't finish him off, just wait until he attacks again, and you'll respond in with another barrage of Limits.

NOTE: This works best with Barret and Yuffie, since thier weapons don't depend on HP/MP, but is is possible to use this with all of the above characters. You'll just have to max Cloud's and Cid's Strength. And probably Luck as well.

Well, that does sound like a good strategy but.. still seems no where near as simple as the strategy for Ruby.. seems a lot more time consuming.. probably not so time consuming once in battle though.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #171874
Posted: 29th August 2008 04:07
Returner

Emerald is definitely the hardest. I've beaten Ruby 4 times and every time I soloed him with Cloud without using KotR, but Emerald always takes me several tries and I have to use my whole party and KotR. And he has that nasty attack that is an instant-kill for anyone with more than 8 materia on them. Not to mention he has 200,000 more HP, but Dazers make the fight much more manageable....
Post #171893
Posted: 29th August 2008 04:15
Returner

Sorry for the double post, but I had to add a couple more things. Yeah Demon Wall was really hard, but you could easily grind in the area where you fought the Red Dragon until you were high enough to obliterate him. The same goes for any mandatory boss. Emerald and Ruby are a whole different story because even at max level, they're pretty hard (except Ruby for me but meh). But, optional bosses aside I would definitely have to go with the Carry Armor. No matter how many times I beat the game I always die at least once on that boss and I don't know why........ blush.gif

Moderator Edit
Double posts are against the rules. Please use the edit button at the top of the first post to add in the text from your second post next time. Also, please refresh yourself on the forum rules. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Neal on 29th August 2008 11:58
Post #171894
Posted: 21st December 2008 23:59
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
i dont mean to try and sound superior but i have no clue what any of you are talking about...i dont spend anytime other than what comes up along te way leveling up and i get through every boss in the game with complete ease... demon wall i made my ho.. smae with the materia keeper and every other boss you guys have mentioned... the ONLY and i repeat ONLY challenge in the entire game was emerald weapon... and thats only cuz the time consumption it took to kill him irritated me to the point of just letting him kill me out of boredom... i finally decided a few days ago to kill him again on this run through (i think this makes anywhere from #59-62 cant remember) so i could do my ritualistic 100% completion of the game (yes there were some of those times i didnt always kill him) for the master materia and boss completion... sorry if i made anyone feel bad
Post #174105
Posted: 22nd December 2008 00:33

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
When I played FFVII for the first time I had trouble with the Midgar Zolam (I guess its not really a boss, but it was still memorable), Demon Wall, and Emerald and Ruby Weapon. I've never had trouble with Carry Armor (I think I'm always overleveled by the time I fight it) or Lost Number though.

Now none of them seem too hard because I abuse cheap tactics; I leave the Midgar Zolam until I have the fire ring, Aeris' Great Gospel protects me from the Demon Wall, Counter-Mime and Master Summon-Hp Absorb lets me beat Ruby by summoning KOTR once at the beginning of the battle, and Emerald is easy as long as you don't have too much materia equiped.

I'm too much of a coward to attempt challenges. blush.gif

This post has been edited by ILoveMoombas! on 22nd December 2008 00:37

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #174107
Posted: 7th January 2009 07:01

Onion Knight

Awards:
If we're not counting bosses like Emerald Weapon or Ruby Weapon (even though those were quite easy to beat too), I guess maybe Midgar Zolom was one of the harder types?

Because having 4000 HP for an early boss that can initiate combat with you everytime he's near you in the marshes leading to your destination to the Mythril Cave (or was it Mythril Mines?), it can be really, REALLY excruciating to try and beat him around levels 15-30 or so..

I never really formed a decent strategy against him, just leveled up more and used my best attacks on him to have him die.

~AngelWitch666~

--------------------
I've been locked away for all these years
Now I can see the light of day
Things have changed a lot since I was last out here
I guess that's the way things, way things go
Post #174569
Posted: 12th January 2009 16:11

Returner

Awards:
Emerald. Ruby. End of question.

God those little weapon-thingies had me depressed before I got the idea to read a strategy guide.

--------------------
Good morning sir. I feel evil today. Now I shall kill you, destroy you, crush you, blast you, demolish you, nuke you, sadistically perform an autopsy on you and... uh... ummm...
Do you like ice cream?
Post #174722
Posted: 18th January 2009 10:26

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Just fought Lost Number for the first time and he ate my lunch... First death of the game! I am now leveling up for the first time in the game. Do you hit him with magic to kill his physical(purple) side? When the red side died he proceeded to slaughter me. He is susceptible to Stop but my Time materia is far from that advanced so my only option is the Choco/Mog summon. I can only use it twice though. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Sabin: Kefka! Wait!
Kefka: Wait he says! Do I look like a waiter?
Post #174862
Posted: 18th January 2009 13:17

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I'd say just get your Limit Breaks up to full. You probably won't need to level up. You might have already looked it up, but here's the guide on CoN:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/w_enemy.p...emy=Lost+Number

Seal Evil is a great idea if you're using Aeris. Use Hypers to put your party members in Fury (Limit Breaks charge faster and attack damage increases, but defense is lower) or Tranquilizers for Sadness (Limits charge slower but defense increases) depending on who they are or what their strengths are. Also remember to put your characters in the front or back row. Back row means they'll take less damage but physical attacks are weaker. So, my setup would be Cloud in the front row with Fury, then Aeris and another in the back row with Sadness. They won't take much damage but Cloud will. If the other two use magic/summons and support Cloud, he will use Limit Breaks and win the fight. You could also make a trip back to Gongaga and fight the Beach Plugs on the coastline to learn Big Guard. See it here:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/materia.php?page=5

Use Choco/Mog twice and Seal Evil if you have it to stop him, use your limit breaks and strongest attacks when he's stopped, then use Big Guard once he's free again to finish him off. Oh, and, he can definitely be poisoned. That's always a good idea.

Hardest boss for me is between the Demon Wall and Lost Number. Once I found the difference between front and back row they both became a lot easier, however.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 18th January 2009 13:34

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #174864
Posted: 19th January 2009 02:45

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I used the walkthrough the first time I encountered him I just underestimated the strength of his physical side. I beat him easily after leveling up about 8 levels and switching to stronger characters. The first time I had Cait Sith and Yuffie. I switched to Tifa and Barret. I put the Long Range materia on Tifa and put her and Barret in the back row. Her limit (Waterkick) is doing almost 2000 total damage. The red side died and I fought the purple side for a few turns then used Choco/Mog and it stopped him and I killed him within a few turns using mostly summons.

The Materia Keeper was easy for me. The worst thing I did was use Vincent's limit break and he continually used that fire attack (Beast Flare?). The name escapes me. Anyways he healed Materia Keeper for over 900 HP every time and I finally killed Vincent and revived him so he would stop. I eventually won.

--------------------
Sabin: Kefka! Wait!
Kefka: Wait he says! Do I look like a waiter?
Post #174882
Posted: 11th February 2009 01:50

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
For me, it was Demon Gate. My party wasn't high enough leveled to fight it... and, yeah. Areith's Princess Guard wasn't very helpful, either. dry.gif Kinda wished I unequipped it after the fight.

--------------------
Post #175332
Posted: 14th April 2009 17:14

Onion Knight

Awards:
Ruby and the Demon Wall
Most annoying things in the game

--------------------
Music. defines. society.
Post #176902
Posted: 17th April 2009 14:49

Returner

Quote (cloud007 @ 9th April 2008 19:11)
5. Boss from Cosmo Canyon cave. Sorry I cant remember his name. It might have been something "Gi". This was Red 13's quest. He had 2 flames that would attack you. He took me forever to beat. Keep in mind that at this time I did not know that holy magic would kill him so he was tough. Now he is very easy though.

OMGG this was my hardest boss, i honestly dont remember why but all i can remember was struggling to beat him
Post #176934
Posted: 24th May 2009 06:55
Returner

Except for the weapons, Air Buster and Carry Armour were the only ones that ever gave me a hard time at my first go around fighting them.

Yes, Air Buster. Once I found out how to run from fights in the first reactor I would skip out on all the random battles, meaning no experience and no leveling. Air Buster owned me every time I went up against him, no matter how my strategy went.

Surprisingly, the Demon wall (or whatever) that everybody is saying was tough was easy for me. I beat it in under a minute flat. I was actually quite disappointed.
Post #177642
Posted: 24th May 2009 18:32

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (TriRedSyn @ 23rd May 2009 22:55)
Surprisingly, the Demon wall (or whatever) that everybody is saying was tough was easy for me. I beat it in under a minute flat. I was actually quite disappointed.

Same with me. I only got to feel nostalgia for a couple minutes before he was dead and I moved on.

During my first play-through, the boss which gave me the most trouble (including the WEAPONs) ended up being Godo. I hadn't really used Yuffie at all, and got wasted several times. Luckily, I had another file saved a bit further back and was able to start over from there. Stupid Godo.
Post #177651
Posted: 25th May 2009 10:22
Returner

Quote (Kane @ 24th May 2009 18:32)
During my first play-through, the boss which gave me the most trouble (including the WEAPONs) ended up being Godo. I hadn't really used Yuffie at all, and got wasted several times. Luckily, I had another file saved a bit further back and was able to start over from there. Stupid Godo.

Hehe, Godo was really fun. I spent more than an hour at my first go around using barriers, cures, and a whole plethora of other magics against him, only to lose in the end. It was an epic long fight, very fun even though I lost.

After that I waited until getting the comet materia and MP Turbo, paired them up, and used it on Godo to beat him in under a minute flat.
Post #177670
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: