CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Most difficult moment

Posted: 16th August 2004 09:04

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Getting myself acquainted with the game for the new release, I discovered the true difficulty that lied in this game. So what do you think is the most difficult moment in the original Final Fantasy?

For me, it was staying motivated in the Marsh Cave. I didn't know how long it was going to go, the enemies seemed extremely difficult, and I kept having to return and heal dead party members. That got pretty tedious, but once I got my bearings, it was good. The rest of the game wasn't as bad, and though I absolutely hated Gurgu/Gulg, I think the Marsh Cave should eat dung.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #56289
Posted: 16th August 2004 12:19

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Leveling up only to get thrashed in random battles in the overworld was pretty hard to swallow. In the PSX version it's not so bad... but on the original NES version, I had an uber party of lvl. 99 knights and a BW and WW, and I *still* got my ass handed to me every now and again in the desert where the Mirage Tower is by t-rex's and ankylo's.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #56297
Posted: 16th August 2004 13:22

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Motivation to go beyond certain stages, i say. I've had the save stalled at the marsh caves for nigh-on a year as i've been unable to find any guides, unable to know whats coming, and above all, not truly knowing what i was doing. Of course, thats all changed now.... thumbup.gif , and all i need to do now is stop playing Syndicate Wars...

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #56307
Posted: 16th August 2004 14:19

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Everybody complains about the marsh cave, but I found the damn Ice cave to be the hardest. Confusing layout coupled with tough ass monsters...

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #56311
Posted: 16th August 2004 15:11

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
It was hard to stay focused through all the beginning stuff before you got to looking for the orbs.

--------------------
"May Castor and Pollox blow me to Bermuda!"- Quote from
"The Sword in the Stone"
Post #56317
Posted: 16th August 2004 15:16

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
I doubt you will believe this, but I ahd trouble in the castle with Tiamat (the name evades my mind). The first THREE times I went there, I fought Warmech on the bridge to Tiamat. Terrible luck...

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #56318
Posted: 16th August 2004 15:45

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Man, I know that I HATED the earth cave (with Lich), as I'm a completist. I believe B2 was basically a maze littered with a million treasure chests. Do you know how painful it is to get ALL of them? With Final Fantasy how it is, everything looks the same in this gigantic room, so it's really easy to get lost without landmarks that stand out. Geez, I couldn't stand that part. The Ice Cave could be pretty rough for me as well because of the damn dark mages that cast Fire3.

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #56324
Posted: 16th August 2004 16:14

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Probably my most difficult moment in the game is when I get my class change. I like to do that before heading over to Gurgu Volcano, but since I go that route, I'm encountering some pretty tough enemies that I shouldn't be facing. The Ice cave in particular was hard, it sometimes took pure luck to get through it, with running away from just about every enemy encountered.
Post #56328
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:21

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
i keep it oldschool, so i never bothered with the re-release, and was always playing it on a cartridge. the cart used to like to randomly lose all its save data, so im gonna have to say the most difficult moment for me is everytime the game would crap out on me and id have to start over. i never beat it til i got it on an emulator.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #56352
Posted: 16th August 2004 20:25

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Back before I was smart enough to spend time leveling or getting money, I'd always die in the caze where you get the treasure for Astos(?). If not the wizards killing me, then a group of nine Specters would catch me. And of course, if I was on my way back OUT because I got the treasure, i'd only have two characters left standing, and more often than not one of them was my Bl. Belt. So yeah, to this day I still hate that cave with a passion.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #56372
Posted: 16th August 2004 22:26

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I always had a hard time against the Imps and Garland, because I didn't properly equip the stuff when I played when I was 5.
When I did get past that, I was determined to get all the magic and best equipment the moment it became available, so I ended up being over-levelled for most of the game.
But the Marsh cave and Ice cave were indeed aggravating.

Quote (Hamedo @ 16th August 2004 08:19)
In the PSX version it's not so bad... but on the original NES version, I had an uber party of lvl. 99 knights and a BW and WW

It only goes to level 50

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #56397
Posted: 16th August 2004 23:03

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I was always beaten up in the Marsh Cave as well. (the popular place of doom) It was one of those places where you needed to stay by the exit of the cave and go back in and out, healing and repeating until I was high enough now to be instantly blown away. biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.allinthepackage.com
Post #56408
Posted: 16th August 2004 23:55

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
For me, fighting through Gulug Volcano and then having to go up against Marilith and win was the toughest point in the game. Even though I completely abused the landscaping bug and was sufficiently leveled, the Volcano ITSELF kicks your ass with the HP reducing tiles. Hard to get through there and still have a means to heal by the time you get to the boss.
Post #56422
Posted: 17th August 2004 01:26

Black Waltz

Awards:
I agree about Gulug that was the only part of the game I found difficult and boy was it. It was also extremely annoying I was just waiting for it to end but it seemed to take forever.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #56437
Posted: 19th August 2004 03:36

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Warmech. Easily the most difficult hidden boss in all Final Fantasy for me. His regular physical attack can down the best spellcasters in one hit, and the rest of his time is spent nuking me straight to hell and back. They broke the mold when they made Warmech, and I've never had a tougher time with an enemy in any Final Fantasy I've experienced.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #56715
Posted: 19th August 2004 17:46

Cactuar

Awards:
I think the hardest part was at the very end where you have to fight all four fiends. I had to fight Tiamat like three times because I forgot to get a very important treasure chest. But one area that wasn't hard because of stupidity was the marsh cave, even though I leveled up forever before I went there.

--------------------
"It is a part of human nature to be evil, and it is a part of human nature to destroy evil, therefore, when evil is destroyed, so will be the human race..."
- Atma
Post #56773
Posted: 24th August 2004 03:25

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
marsh Cave, for reasons already stated. Also Gulgu. But mostly, the castle where you get the rat's tale, because I always go there underleveled, to get the stuff.

--------------------
Mercy?! I am the sixth phase of your world's destruction! would you like some evil pie?

My name is Fox, I am infinitely great, and I am the author of this comic strip..
Post #57377
Posted: 24th August 2004 04:13
Group Icon
SOLDIER

gulug was especially hard; like rubes said, the lava was a drain on resources (although i did not find marilith particularly difficult). death machine was also over-powered, but he wasn't a forced fight.
Post #57379
Posted: 24th August 2004 17:02

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Amen to that, Super Mog... and just wait 'till you face his new incarnation in Caesers hack.... *shudders*

Awww c'mon WGG, he's not THAT bad. You get a few attacks in before he kills you. You just have to act quick...and have fire absorption. I tried to make him as difficult as he was in FFI, in FFVI.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #57411
Posted: 24th August 2004 17:15

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Marsh Cave. Anytime I would start a new game and never finish it was because I got to Marsh Cave and didn't go on. If I got past Marsh Cave, it was a sign that I would finish the game that time through.
Post #57415
Posted: 25th August 2004 05:12

Group Icon
BANNED: For impersonating members

When I played FF1, I was never really challenged by the game. This can probably be attributed to the fact that whenever I play an RPG, I MUST purchase the best equipment I can have at that time before I go anywhere. So once I got to Elfland, I was killing monsters left and right just for the cash to buy those really expensive spells. I had two mages in my party (White and black) and a Fighter, so those were a major strain on my wallet with my playing style (my other character was a Black Belt, thank god for that).

Because I had been doing all that fighting, you could probably guess that my levels were very high, I breezed through the marsh cave (well, it wasn't THAT easy, but you get the picture), and everyone was level 37-38 when I handed Chaos' ass to him.
Post #57453
Posted: 25th August 2004 05:38

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Oh, goodness, where to start?

Usually I found that the first few times through Marsh Cave, Ice Cave, Gurgu Volcano, Earth Cave, Sky Castle, and Temple of Fiends 2000 Years Past were a pain in the butt, but after I figured them out and played over again, leveling up madly before and while in, they got easier. Usually a lot easier.

But even then, Marsh Cave, Ice Cave, and Temple of Fiends (past) can still be a real pain, what with all the instant death attacks and uber powerful enemies. Warmech also just goes without saying; the only enemy I know that can cut down a whole party of super-powerful characters like a hot knife through butter, and take a helluva pounding before going down.

I really didn't feel like playing anymore when I fought him twice in the same walk towards Tiamat. I died the second time, obviously, but he'd already crippled my party and left me with just two characters, who died even though I healed them. It's very depressing. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Zephir on 25th August 2004 05:40

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #57458
Posted: 25th August 2004 22:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
The 2-4 wizards gaurding the crown in the marsh is the only part that bothered me. Other than that it was still comlicated but nothing (not even running into 4 phantoms) was that difficult.XXXX wiped me out less often than those wizards.
Post #57521
Posted: 28th August 2004 03:22

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
I never really had a problem with Marsh Cave, Gulug Volcano, or Ice Cave (probably because I'm always overleveled due to my expensive party's need for money). I do, however, almost always have a slight problem leaving the Earth Cave, either on the way to the Titan's Tunnel or after defeating Lich. Once exiting the cave I'm usually ambushed by a whole bunch o' Specters and Geists (or are they Ghouls? Can't remember). They like to paralyze my entire party rather quickly with their opening attacks and then veeerrrrry slooooowly kill everyone off with weak little love taps. It's pathetic, really. Any party member who's miraculously "cured" doesn't stay that way for long, as in they're stunned before I even get a turn. Needless to say, I often have to trek through the Earth Cave twice (well, three times technically).

Other than that, the final area before Tiamat is pure hell, but everybody knows that.

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #57741
Posted: 28th August 2004 07:06

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Well i've only played a bit so far. But by and large and have to say the volcano. It's irritating the lifr from me. Lava everywhere ect. mad.gif

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #57743
Posted: 2nd September 2004 18:26
Black Mage

Awards:
For me, the most difficult moment was the castle of... ordeals? the one where you get the rat tail. It had nothing to do with motivation, i just always found it the most difficult part to get past.
and by the way, does anyone know when this game is planned for release? actually *checks ign* seems to be the 29 of november. I just answered my own question!
Post #58236
Posted: 3rd September 2004 16:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Marsh Cave ... was the second hardest for me

The first had to of been...

That goddamned volcano ...

One question, do u do the volcano or the Ice place first... cuz... I did the ice place after the volcano...

That aerial place was a pain-in-the-arse as well :c

Overall the hardships make the game much more fun...

--------------------
"A little tight, but the price was right" - Locke
"Oh, what a Fuddy Duddy" - Relm
"..." - Shadow
"I'm a General, not some love starved twit" - Celes
"Although Edgar showers his attention on the ladies, most are smart enough to pay him no attention. Oh! King Edgar!" - Figaro Castle Inn Attendant
Post #58299
Posted: 7th September 2004 13:11

SOLDIER

Awards:
I'd say I had trouble with the Marsh Cave mainly cos it was pre-Exit/Life, but in the PS version finding the monsters WarMech, T-Rex, and Iron Golem was the most annoying task, as actually facing them was like 1 in 1000 or something...

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #58716
Posted: 12th September 2004 04:07

Returner

Ice Cave (without spending time level'ing). i always managed to get screwed there when i didn't level up first.

--------------------
Big Dave ^^
Post #59182
Posted: 12th September 2004 21:45

Black Mage

Awards:
all caves tired me out...

they always have the spooky music that messes with my brain everytime I go in there....and I get lost...

the 3 caves I hated were...

1.Terra Cavern
2.Marsh Cave
3.Ice Cave....

it's a waste of time when you go straight to dead ends...

--------------------
Auron might be good, but I'm better...=p*

My first visits....:
*Returning from home-Returner
*Trying to find a Cactuar Costume for Halloween-Cactuar
*Treasure hunting for more shiny things, & candy-Treasure Hunter

Current Location:
*Crusading hell, I want to assasinate Satan but don't tell him what my plan is okay....?-Crusader
Post #59235
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: