CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Garland

Posted: 16th August 2004 01:48

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Did you have any trouble with the first boss in the beginning? I personally found him an easy opponent. I believe he was gone in...2 hits. Been a long time since I've played the game, so I'm not sure if that's his name.

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! - Bob Marley

Post #56233
Posted: 16th August 2004 01:51

Onion Knight

Awards:
Yes, Garland is the name of the first boss. I'm usually done getting all the magic and best weapons and armor for my party by the time I fight him. Piece of cake.

--------------------
"May Castor and Pollox blow me to Bermuda!"- Quote from
"The Sword in the Stone"
Post #56234
Posted: 16th August 2004 01:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I didn't need magic or good armor or anything...It was all my Black Belt's work. laugh.gif He nailed him in two hits. End of story. shifty.gif

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! - Bob Marley

Post #56235
Posted: 16th August 2004 02:50

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think I was at about level 5 when I fought him and he was no trouble when I faced him.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #56249
Posted: 16th August 2004 03:35

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I think he's supposed to be a nice and easy first boss, really. He doesn't have any powerful attacks and he has low HP. Unless you were whacking at him with unarmed white mages, there shouldn't be much of a problem..

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #56254
Posted: 16th August 2004 04:55

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Me and my brother used to lose to him all the friggin' time...

...Until we discovered leveling up. Then he was too easy. wacko.gif Nowadays, I usually don't go face him until I'm at level ten or something... shifty.gif

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #56266
Posted: 16th August 2004 05:15

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Garland was a piece ofacake. The suggested minimum lev$l tends to be around three, but I'm usually able todtake hi( out before leveling updonce. (well, I usually purchase a few good spells before tackling the ToF in the beginning of the game a s well).

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #56273
Posted: 16th August 2004 12:24

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Lvl. 2 is the benchmark I set for myself when I face him.... because I *hate* being stuck on that one little section of the map for too long.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #56299
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:11

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2019. Third place in CoNCAA, 2018. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. 
Though he was easy, Square managed to make him memorable. He was a classy first boss; for some reason, he remains my favorite enemy from FF1.

This post has been edited by Iain Peregrine on 16th August 2004 19:16
Post #56350
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:13

Onion Knight

Awards:
but y, he's so amazingly easy.

--------------------
"The Sword in the Stone"
Post #56351
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:23

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
unless youve finished the game, you completely fail to realize garland's signifigance in the game, theres more to him than meets the eye.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #56353
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:25

Onion Knight

Awards:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
I thought he meant the first Garland, my bad.

--------------------
"The Sword in the Stone"
Post #56355
Posted: 16th August 2004 22:09

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Back when I had the original NES cartridge, my brother and I used to play it all the time (until he traded it away [insert angry face]). We bought the equipment and everything, but didn't know how to properly equip it. So, Imp would kill us on the way. Every once in a while, though I was able to get to Garland. He knocked me down SO quickly.
Anyways, I liked him. He was a fun boss, and arguably the most memorable of the series.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #56391
Posted: 17th August 2004 00:02

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Garland was weaksauce.

I guess they had him so weak to emphasize that he wouldn't actually be a threat until he went back in time to gain real power.
Post #56426
Posted: 17th August 2004 00:17

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I always loved Garland's line "You impertinent fools!" Such a classic phrase from FF1.

Anyways, I always liked this guy. It's kind of strange that he was a former knight of Coneria, since all the other knights of Coneria are worthless and make you do their job for them, but that's okay. It was fun beating him.

EDIT:
Well, I mean, a former knight of Coneria that ends up being the main boss of the game is strange.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 17th August 2004 03:10
Post #56429
Posted: 17th August 2004 00:29

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 16th August 2004 20:17)
It's kind of strange that he was a former knight of Coneria, since all the other knights of Coneria are worthless

Maybe that explains why he's one of the weakest bosses.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #56431
Posted: 19th August 2004 18:08

Cactuar

Awards:
I don't even really think. I go explore the castle, go out and make money, buy stuff, kill Garland, and continue on my merry way. I don't ever remember him being difficult. I think the trip there was harder.

--------------------
"It is a part of human nature to be evil, and it is a part of human nature to destroy evil, therefore, when evil is destroyed, so will be the human race..."
- Atma
Post #56776
Posted: 21st August 2004 16:03

Returner

Awards:
First time I played FFI, I actually had a lot of trouble with the first Garland. I guess I wasn't used to the original battle system.
Post #57066
Posted: 21st August 2004 16:22

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Hamedo, I fight Garland at level 1 or 2 as well. I don't like that first area too much so I tend to get it overwith as soon as I can. I save all my leveling up for Elfland, since I have the Silver Sword as incentive to fight around more. Same goes for that one town with the $65,000 armor...you can buy Fire 3 there, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #57073
Posted: 21st August 2004 17:09

Onion Knight

Awards:
Garland is extremely easy, everytime I start a new game I go directly to defeat him and later I worry about experience and items.

perhaps the programmers wanted him to have a humillating defeat so that would increase his hatred and make him become chaos?

Post #57089
Posted: 21st August 2004 18:51

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Garland is a really, REALLY hard boss...

..when your pet cat pulls out the wire in the middle of fighting him, an then lays down on it to prevent access. =happy.gif=

--------------------
Uwao. aooh! I'm Gau!
I'm your friend!
Let's travel together!

Post #57097
Posted: 22nd August 2004 04:11

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Garland? Hard? blink.gif garland was the easiest boss in the whole game, how did you guys have trouble with him? i just replayed ff1 and beat him bad. all the random battles before Garland were hard.

--------------------
Music is a mysterious thing... Sometimes, it makes people remember things that they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember them or not...

- Shitan, Xenogears
Post #57169
Posted: 22nd August 2004 17:48

Returner

Awards:
I only had trouble with Garland on my first playthrough. I wasn't used to FFI's battle system then.
Post #57206
Posted: 22nd August 2004 18:10

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Easy as pie, but such an awesome guy (that rhymes!)

I sometimes end up getting slaughtered by Imps on the way though. Not because they're difficult (hell, no), but because I'm so used to going straight to the Temple of Fiends that I often forget to actually take a few steps into Corneria and get equipped first. I tend to jump the gun, yes.

My level's usually 1 or 2 when I face Garland the first time; naturally, serious leveling is done afterwards (like after getting the ship) mostly as a way to earn money for the better weapons/armor. It's doubly productive!

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #57207
Posted: 12th September 2004 04:26

Returner

I always just walked up and killed him, usually got level 2 before i made it there, but never had to level up. The first spot i stop at to level up is the elf town (3rd town, after you get the boat). I always stopped there to get silver swords, especially when i beat the game with 4 fighters ><

--------------------
Big Dave ^^
Post #59189
Posted: 18th September 2004 15:05

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Zephir @ 15th August 2004 23:55)
Me and my brother used to lose to him all the friggin' time...

...Until we discovered leveling up. Then he was too easy. wacko.gif Nowadays, I usually don't go face him until I'm at level ten or something... shifty.gif

O.o ... Wow zeph... you must be really really bad at that game... level 10 to defeat a boss that goes down in the maximum of 10 hits??? Are you using a white-mage party or something? o.o

--------------------
"A little tight, but the price was right" - Locke
"Oh, what a Fuddy Duddy" - Relm
"..." - Shadow
"I'm a General, not some love starved twit" - Celes
"Although Edgar showers his attention on the ladies, most are smart enough to pay him no attention. Oh! King Edgar!" - Figaro Castle Inn Attendant
Post #59889
Posted: 23rd September 2004 04:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Wind God Gau @ 21st August 2004 13:51)
Garland is a really, REALLY hard boss...

..when your pet cat pulls out the wire in the middle of fighting him, an then lays down on it to prevent access. =happy.gif=

Yeah, I've had a few cats like that. Good thing it was at the beginning of the game and not like halfway through your least favorite dungeon.
My first exprience in the game resulted in starting the fight with 3 dead characters and an almost dead warrior, and winning. I wound up being killed by a goblin right after. (I didn't have any potions, because I rarely use items) pinch.gif
That kinda says something about a boss when a goblin killed me and he didn't

--------------------
When life gives you lemons... SQUIRT THEM IN PEOPLES EYES! Mwahahahahaha! *Squirt* Ow! Hey, that was my job! *Squirt* Knock it off! *Squirt* I want my mommy! Waaah! *runs off*

The moral of this story is *Squirt* Ow! *Squirt* Okay, okay, no morals.
Post #60362
Posted: 23rd September 2004 17:27

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I remember on the NES cart. I had a rough time because I always insisted on beating the game without one of my guys dying so I had to start a dungeon over if one did because I wanted them all to level at the same time every time. He kilt me a couple times before I got him, with the new origins disk I had zero trouble with him. Of course with the origins disk I wanted to try out the upgraded battle system too and that might have something to do with it. I HATED ineffective attacks.

--------------------
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah, but you can call me cookie.
-BHG

FF3DS friend code: 4424-8076-6097
Post #60386
Posted: 24th September 2004 20:01

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Quote (Aholibamah @ 23rd September 2004 12:27)
I remember on the NES cart. I had a rough time because I always insisted on beating the game without one of my guys dying so I had to start a dungeon over if one did because I wanted them all to level at the same time every time.

I'm like that, too. I pretty much allow my guys a maximum of one death each, or in other words, each party member can be out and miss gaining experience along with the rest only once. If two or more fall at once then I just reset, at least until LIFE is learned (if I even have a character who can learn it).

Nowadays Garland rarely manages to KO any one of my characters. In the past I guess he just had a thing for hitting Mages.

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #60473
Posted: 25th September 2004 17:25

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Garland was hard the first time i played the game, because i wasnt used to leveling up, buying magic(?), and eqiping wepons and such, so by the time i got to him, i was almost lvl.1

Now that i know how it works via easier to understand fforigins, i got to garland at lvl.5, cause im a lvl.up maniac biggrin.gif

He was hard, but now hes a goner(via ff6) thumbup.gif hehe

--------------------
<DrkMagimaster282> MWAHAHA. I,
DrkMagimaster282, shall wreak havoc and destroy...
<Mother>TIIIIIIMMYYY...are you planning evil, unkind revenge again in the bathroom??
<DrkMagimaster282>UMMMMMMMM...NO.

CoN day is May 27th, 2005
Join elder-geek.com for unbiased reviews, no console wars here...
Post #60549
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: