CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Misconception About FF7 Limit Breaks

Posted: 13th September 2002 16:17

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Hmmm, I see that all the guides and FAQs for Final Fantasy VII list their limit break requirements completely wrong. Back when I fisrt got FF7, I noticed this, but didn't test my theory fully until the other day. This is what I found.

They say, to gain a second level Limit of your current Limit Level, you have to use the first level limit 8 times. This is true, but for level 1 ONLY. On Level 2, you only have to use it SEVEN times, and on Level 3, SIX times. I've tested this for every character, and it's 8/7/6 for each one.

Also, they say you have to kill 80 enemies to gain the second level Limit Break of any limit level. Also true, only for level 1. I've also counted the exact number of enemies that you need to destroy, and it's 80/70, respectively.

Cait Sith still needs to kill 80, since he only has one other Limit Break (Slots). I haven't tested Vincent's kill count requirement yet, but since his is naturally lower than everyone else's, I'm pretty sure it'll end up being 60/60/60. I'll keep you posted, and DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE GUIDES! They're wrong!

Edit
Fixed the incorrect 80/70/60 bit.

Post #2313
Posted: 13th September 2002 18:00

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
I've generally found FFOSG's FF7 information to be pretty good.  Their limit information is closer to yours than what the other guides said, but is still different.  I guess the only way really is to test it personally, as you are.
Post #2318
Posted: 13th September 2002 18:38

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
It's also completely wrong. The requirement never raises with each new Limit, it only lowers.

320 enemies for a limit? That's insane. They should really fix that.
Post #2319
Posted: 13th September 2002 22:17

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
I think they might have meant total throughout the game. But of course, that still wouldn't solve the problem at hand.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #2331
Posted: 13th September 2002 23:31

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Ah, didn't think of that. 80 + 70 = 150 + 60 = 210. Their info is still wrong. :(
Post #2339
Posted: 14th September 2002 08:49

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Ha, you don't know how many times people have argued with me about limit requirements.  You're absolutely right, Rubicant, it IS 8/7/6 for Level 1 usage.  I've been saying that for years now, and no one ever listens.

I've never counted the exact number of kills.  Your numbers don't make sense for two reasons, though...for one thing, you only need to kill enemies to gain two limit breaks, the first Level 2 and first Level 3 breaks.  Also, I garantee you that it takes a lot more than 80 for Cloud to learn Meteorain.  That break takes MANY more kills to learn than any other break, around 120 or so I think.  I've done some extensive experimenting myself, although, like I said, I've never counted the exact number of kills.
Post #2364
Posted: 14th September 2002 18:41

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
I counted it by only having him kill parties of five enemies, and he learned Meteorain after 70 kills.

Blade Beam seemed to take longer than 80, though. Heh.

I'm gonna test this again soon.

Post #2377
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: