CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
LIMIT (FF7)

Posted: 26th August 2003 21:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
How do you increase the "Limit" level ? Is it how many
enemies you defeat, or does it increase depending on how many limits you perform ?

Another question I would like to ask, is what "Limit" does the greatest amount of damage ? Many friends keep telling me that Cloud's level 4 "Limit" does the greatest damage. But doesn't Tifa do more damage if you get "Yeah" on all of her limits ?

Thank you !  

This post has been edited by Amido on 22nd September 2003 12:17

--------------------
-The brave do not fear the grave-
Post #16709
Posted: 26th August 2003 21:07
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
It's been a while since I played FFVII, but I think this is how it works...

Each limit level has two breaks, right?  You get level 1, break 1 automatically.  In order to get the second level 1 break, you have to use the first one a certain amount of times.

In order to get the first break of the next level, you have to kill a certain number of monsters.  Then you have to use the new break so many times to get the second one of the level.

Getting new breaks becomes harder as the break level goes up, too.

I think the number of monsters you have to kill is different for different characters, but I'm not sure about that.  ^_^  But it is possible to have the first limit break of the new level before you have the second break of the previous level, if you never use your limits.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16710
Posted: 26th August 2003 21:31

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
on that subject , me and my freinds could not get the fourth limits to work (and yes we had the items). but when Vicnent hit limit level three, we could put him onto 4 instantly. how do you use the 4th limit levels?

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #16711
Posted: 26th August 2003 22:10

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Basicly on 7 u need to get hit or sometimes hit someone even though 4th and 3rd take awhile and 4th i think slows u down

--------------------
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
In the End by Linkin park
Post #16714
Posted: 26th August 2003 22:57

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
karasuman was right. But the amount of times you need to do it increases with each level.
I think King Of Sacrifice was explaining how to fill the bar (you need to take damage; not give it or both)
on that subject , me and my freinds could not get the fourth limits to work (and yes we had the items). but when Vicnent hit limit level three, we could put him onto 4 instantly. how do you use the 4th limit levels?

You have to know every other Limit for that character.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #16718
Posted: 26th August 2003 23:53

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
To fill out the Limits data bank on this thread, Vincent only has the one Limit break for each level, for a total of 4 breaks when he knows them all.  Cait Sith only has 2 limit breaks in total, Slots and Dice.

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #16720
Posted: 27th August 2003 00:16

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
You also have to use the items on the relevant character before they get the level four limit break.  Maybe it seems obvious, but it's the kind of thing you can miss sometimes.  There's also apparently a bug which can prevent certain characters from getting them, in which case you'll have to start a new game if you want them.

Cloud's Omnislash does masses more damage than a straight run of Yeahs all the way to Final Heaven (not to mention that it's difficult to hit Yeah, or even Hit on the last couple of tumblers).  Each of Tifa's limits only does one hit each, so even chaining all seven in the row can't compete with the multiple-hit pounding of Omnislash.

But don't always switch to your level four without thinking... sometimes a lower limit is better.  I seem to remember preferring Yuffie's 3/2 over her 4.

The number of kills required to get to a new level does indeed vary per character and per level, mostly for balance, considering that you have some characters forcibly for more of the time than others (and Cloud for almost the whole game).  They still didn't lower Aeris's enough that you'd be likely to get them all while you can, but it's quite possible to do so if you've the inclination.  The first and only battle where I managed to fill up the level four limit meter for her was the very last one where I could use it, in the only game where I bothered to obtain it.  It was great though!  Try it sometime, if you haven't already.
Post #16723
Posted: 27th August 2003 00:58
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Aeris' level 4 limit break was the only thing that made her fun to have around, in my opinion.  Oh, sure, free healing was great for a while, but the fact that I tend to try not to need it overshadowed that.  I don't like to let characters fill up their limits most of the time.  I try to keep everyone uninjured.  (Except for FF8.  I got sick of the damn Tonberries, so I just let Quistis and Squall go to town on their dumb asses.)

But, yeah.  Aeris' level 4 is good--and incredibly unbalancing.  If you had it for more of the game, none of the fights would be a challenge.

In fact, I actually bother using a GS to have her in my party if I feel like taking on Ruby and Emerald Weapon.  I can't beat them legitimately, but her level 4 limit saves the day.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16726
Posted: 27th August 2003 02:00

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
...Okay, how are you guys getting Aeris' level four break? o.O;;  I've only gotten her to level three, and maxed out her XP level...

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #16729
Posted: 27th August 2003 03:06
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Zephir @ 26 Aug 2003, 21:00)
...Okay, how are you guys getting Aeris' level four break? o.O;;  I've only gotten her to level three, and maxed out her XP level...

You get the level 4 limits with items, not by killing monsters.  ^_^  You get hers from a chest in some guy's house...

Okay, I give.  Someone who played the game more recently than I did/wants to look it up in a FAQ, answer this question.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16734
Posted: 27th August 2003 06:47

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
You need to have the last two digits of the number of battles you have fought the same, then visit the Sleeping Man on the Midgar Continent.  You will need to use the buggy.  He gives you some Mythri.

Go to the blacksmith near Gongaga and give him the Mythril.  He will give you a choice of two treasure chests.  Choose the smaller one on the second floor, it contains Aeris' Great Gospel.

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #16740
Posted: 27th August 2003 17:21
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Hanyou @ 27 Aug 2003, 01:47)
You need to have the last two digits of the number of battles you have fought the same, then visit the Sleeping Man on the Midgar Continent.  You will need to use the buggy.  He gives you some Mythri.

Go to the blacksmith near Gongaga and give him the Mythril.  He will give you a choice of two treasure chests.  Choose the smaller one on the second floor, it contains Aeris' Great Gospel.

And you can find out the number of battles you've fought by talking to him, right?

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16754
Posted: 27th August 2003 17:29

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Yeah, he mumbles it in his sleep...I think. He either mumbles battles, or running from battles, or both. You need to match up the battles you've ran away from as well for something, can't remember quite what for though.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #16758
Posted: 27th August 2003 18:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Zephir @ 27 Aug 2003, 01:53)
To fill out the Limits data bank on this thread, Vincent only has the one Limit break for each level, for a total of 4 breaks when he knows them all.  Cait Sith only has 2 limit breaks in total, Slots and Dice.

As far as I know, Cait Sith DOES actually have a third limit break. If you kill an unbelievable amount of enemies with Cait Sith, you will get his level 3 limit break, which is a very weird one.

The level 3 section will be highlighted, but there will be no name, just a blank line. If you use this limit in a fight, it will look like the game screws up, but it's supposed to be in that way. Then all the enemies will be killed directly, and you will recieve all exp, AP, money and items from them. This ALWAYS works. Never misses.

This should be true. Not a false rumour. -_-

--------------------
People say I'm a slow learner, but I type fast!
Post #16764
Posted: 27th August 2003 19:42

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Is this true?  I don't think I have ever heard about this, I just checked a few walkthroughs and none of them mentioned it.

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #16767
Posted: 27th August 2003 22:18

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
I've never seen any credible evidence of this (indeed, I only just heard of the rumour).  If it does work, it is certainly a glitch and not intended behaviour, but I believe it's just a rumour.
Post #16771
Posted: 27th August 2003 22:42
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Tiddles the Cat @ 27 Aug 2003, 17:18)
I've never seen any credible evidence of this (indeed, I only just heard of the rumour).  If it does work, it is certainly a glitch and not intended behaviour, but I believe it's just a rumour.

Same here.  Someone tried to convince me that it was true a few years ago, so I tried...but it didn't happen.  Look, if you could do it, you could do it with a GS, and as someone who does every weird thing she can with a GS, I think I can safely say that you can't do it with a GS...

...so I don't think you can do it.

But then, I generally put everything into the rumor category until someone who I believe me tells me that s/he has personally done it or physically seen a friend do it.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16775
Posted: 28th August 2003 00:59
SOLDIER

Awards:
I'm certain that particular rumor has only been associated with the original japanese version anyway, there's not one report about any US (and AFAIK, FF7 International) version having Cait Sith's level 3 break.

As far as any truth to it, I don't particularly care.

What I want to know is if Cait Sith's Slots are rigged like Setzer's, and if it's the same (random number generator with a reset index each battle), how to screw the game right back over and use Death Joker repedetly.  Hell, I can already do that with Setzer, why not the stray cat as well?

...and how to get the real Aire Tam Storm, but that's another subject for another time.  I like my fake copy using Ultima for the base, but the lack of power and no draining ability kinda reminds me of how halfassed my version really is. :(

I only mention it thinking maybe someone has beaten me to it.  If not, I won't mind finding it myself (and Emerald Beam, and Emerald Shoot...). :)

--------------------
Post #16783
Posted: 21st September 2003 09:39

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
this is something i did on my first time fru FF7 and i still dont know the answer. do you no that when you ignore certain characters and level up others the game automatically levels up the ones your ignoring, well when i did that they (the ones i was ignoring) stayed on level 1 limit breaks where the ones i had trained were higher. is it then possible to raise the levels of the ones you've ignored?
sorry if this seems a bit wacko.gif but any help would be well recieved!

--------------------
18th June-Red hot chilli peppers-Manchester city stadium
Post #18093
Posted: 21st September 2003 10:14

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
Yes. See above for how limit levels work; they're not related to your EXP levels, but how often characters actually kill enemies and use limits. You just need to satisfy the limit level up requirements with each and every character manually. There's no way for it to filter back like EXP does.
Post #18094
Posted: 21st September 2003 10:43

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
does the game make the characters weaker that it levels up for you?

--------------------
Post #18097
Posted: 21st September 2003 11:01

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
Nope. They just level up slowly.
Post #18099
Posted: 22nd September 2003 00:29

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (parkspapercut @ 21st September 2003 05:39)
this is something i did on my first time fru FF7 and i still dont know the answer. do you no that when you ignore certain characters and level up others the game automatically levels up the ones your ignoring, well when i did that they (the ones i was ignoring) stayed on level 1 limit breaks where the ones i had trained were higher. is it then possible to raise the levels of the ones you've ignored?
sorry if this seems a bit  wacko.gif but any help would be well recieved!

huh.gif
If you were asking about characters not in battle gaining levels, then the characters not in your party gain half the experience the ones in the party do.
If you were asking if it is possible to raise limits outside of battle, what Tiddles said.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #18143
Posted: 22nd September 2003 15:31

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
okay thanks, the thing i hate though is when im leveling up characters i usually go to a cave or somewhere longwinded like Mt.Nibel maybe, and then i keep leveling up and forget to change characters to level them up and even thought they are the same level there stats are weaker

--------------------
Post #18179
Posted: 22nd September 2003 18:21

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (parkspapercut @ 22nd September 2003 11:31)
even thought they are the same level there stats are weaker

Could have to do with (if this is what you do) the fact most people don't equip characters who aren't in their party with Materia, which changes stats

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #18188
Posted: 22nd September 2003 18:44

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
i thought the majority just gave you a negative effect

--------------------
Post #18191
Posted: 22nd September 2003 19:01

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (parkspapercut @ 22nd September 2003 14:44)
i thought the majority just gave you a negative effect

Depends on what stat you're looking at and what materia you're using. An increase in Magic and Magic Defense will usually have an equal decrease in Strangth and Vitality, and vice versa.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #18194
Posted: 23rd September 2003 05:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Okay, this is going back to the subject of Aeris's final limit break, even though I never actually got it in my game; heck, I don't think I even got both of her Level 2 ones. But I talked to the guy in the cave a few times, just because I like exploring every single area of the world map in these games. And for some reason, he told me that I had run away from 1 fight...and I hadn't! Now, I never run from fights in these games if I don't have to--I either win them, or I die. The only times I run from fights is when I'm trying to get somewhere and can't be bothered to fight the enemies along the way, and in FFVII, Chocobos are so easy to get that that's unnecessary. Plus I'll rarely turn down an opportunity for a few points of XP, if the monsters are so dumb as to throw themselves at me.

But I digress. Has this happened to anyone else? Any theories on why it might have happened?
Post #18238
Posted: 23rd September 2003 08:36

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (Syndarr @ 23rd September 2003 01:03)
Has this happened to anyone else? Any theories on why it might have happened?

You may have ran and forgot about it. Like from Midgar Zolom (if you can run from it) or something. The only FF games you are required to run from an enemy is in III and VIII, and I can't think of anywhere in VII where you would have to.

This topic has become a mixture of step-by-step tangents, so to stay (generally) on topic:
Did anyone else notice that you could get Aeris' Lv 4 Limit more than once?

This post has been edited by Dark Paladin on 23rd September 2003 08:37

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #18243
Posted: 23rd September 2003 17:40

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
where else can you get it from?

--------------------
Post #18254
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: