CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection on PSP

Posted: 2nd May 2011 10:12

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Umm, question for anybody: How do you switch turns in battle? Like if say Cecil's turn comes up, but you want to use Tellah next and you don't want to waste Cecil's turn. How do you just switch? I read it somewhere but I forgot.

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

^ Help me get started on my forum!
Post #194533
Posted: 2nd May 2011 10:26

Black Mage

Awards:
I don't know about the PSP version, but as far as I know there was a simple buitton press in order to do that. Simple try out all your buttons I guess. Except on/off, tee-hee.
Post #194534
Posted: 2nd May 2011 19:54

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
On the SNES version it was either left or right from the battle menu--Parry would skip turn and Switch would switch formation for the entire party (back row becomes front and vice versa).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194547
Posted: 2nd May 2011 20:26

Black Mage

Awards:
I think he is talking about switching the selection of the character to which he can give commands - At least in the more modern games, I can tell for sure for VIII onwards, but I also think it existed in VI and maybe also in the remakes of the old games as it seems to be the case for the PSP version of FF IV...

For instance;
Squall and Zell have a full ATB.
Selection: Squall
Push that button, O or /\ in the PSX version iirc.
Now Zell can be commanded, after he took action Squall can be commanded immidiality again without he has to refill his ATB bar.
Post #194551
Posted: 2nd May 2011 20:33

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Okay, that's not an original feature in FFIV, at least i don't remember it being there. It might be in FFVI come to think of it...but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #194552
Posted: 2nd May 2011 20:56

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
It probably wasn't an original feature as I don't remember being able to do it on FFV Advance. So if its not on that, probably wasn't on the SNES version and therefore not in the original FFIV.

The DS version you just press Y though. Try square? or the manual... or the internet..

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #194555
Posted: 2nd May 2011 21:46

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
For the PSP version you can enable it in settings. Then you use Triangle to switch between people. It is not an original setting, so it's one that you can enable/disable to make the game more like the original if you want.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #194559
Posted: 2nd May 2011 22:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Neal @ 2nd May 2011 16:46)
For the PSP version you can enable it in settings. Then you use Triangle to switch between people. It is not an original setting, so it's one that you can enable/disable to make the game more like the original if you want.

Sweet. Thanks.

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

Post #194562
Posted: 2nd May 2011 23:46

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
So is the PSP version a completely new/re-worked version of the game or a port of a previous version? I'm reading this as it being a port of the GBA version (with some new features tossed on), but that was the one I hated above all others (it was glitchy as all hell for me).

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #194564
Posted: 2nd May 2011 23:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 2nd May 2011 18:46)
So is the PSP version a completely new/re-worked version of the game or a port of a previous version? I'm reading this as it being a port of the GBA version (with some new features tossed on), but that was the one I hated above all others (it was glitchy as all hell for me).

Well, it has the bonus features of the GBA version, like the Lunar Ruins, but other than that, it's basically the original version of the game but with totally re-worked HD graphics and visual effects. So, basically, it's re-worked and not just a port. Here's a video of some of the gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXPBuPgxiA

This post has been edited by Fatal on 2nd May 2011 23:54

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

Post #194565
Posted: 18th May 2011 01:01

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
For those of you that have played this version and the original release on the SNES (which is the last time I played it) would you rate the difficulty of the game as easier or harder than the SNES port? I ask this because I found the game a tad difficult when I played it like over 10 years ago and it was a stroke of luck that I even finished it. I was enough so that I didn't want to play it again. But I am intrigued to play the After Years but wanted to re-familiarize myself with the original story. How does it compare? I have a $25 amazon giftcard that I want to spend on a PSP RPG and I don't know if I should get this or spend it on another game that I haven't already played.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #194997
Posted: 18th May 2011 01:14

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'd rate it as significantly easier for two reasons:

First, I'm older and more experienced. It's not my first RPG anymore, and I basically know what I'm doing.

Second, speed. It depends on your battle speed settings, but chances are you'll get WAY more turns and attacks in than your enemy does (on default settings). Cranking up battle speed ratchets up the difficulty in a big way.

And I haven't gotten there yet, but I imagine that the final dungeon is still tough. The Path to the Core's enemies really take it up a notch.

--------------------
Post #194998
Posted: 18th May 2011 10:06

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I only played the SNES version as a kid, so it can be a given that it'd be easier now. But I have played the nearly identical PSX version as an adult and I have to say this PSP version is easier, outside of Brachioraidos or however you spell it. Not that the PSX/SNES versions HAVE Brach, I'm just pointing out the hardest enemy in the PSP version.

I don't really have a real reason to say why it's easier. It's just the general difficulty felt a bit easier. Oh yeah, but I do have to say, the enemies to get tough in the Lunar Ruins dungeons. Much harder than the enemies in the Lunar Subterraine. But you can handle it if you know what you're doing.

I'm up to The After Years now. There's one thing they kept from the original Wii version and that's the insanely high random encounter rate! But other than that, it's not feeling too hard, either.

This post has been edited by Fatal on 18th May 2011 10:10

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

Post #195005
Posted: 19th May 2011 00:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Fatal @ 18th May 2011 03:06)
I only played the SNES version as a kid, so it can be a given that it'd be easier now. But I have played the nearly identical PSX version as an adult and I have to say this PSP version is easier, outside of Brachioraidos or however you spell it. Not that the PSX/SNES versions HAVE Brach, I'm just pointing out the hardest enemy in the PSP version.

I don't really have a real reason to say why it's easier. It's just the general difficulty felt a bit easier. Oh yeah, but I do have to say, the enemies to get tough in the Lunar Ruins dungeons. Much harder than the enemies in the Lunar Subterraine. But you can handle it if you know what you're doing.

I'm up to The After Years now. There's one thing they kept from the original Wii version and that's the insanely high random encounter rate! But other than that, it's not feeling too hard, either.

Insanely high encounter rate....glad you warned me about that in the Wii version because I was still just considering getting that instead of the complete collection. I will definitely get the PSP version now.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Post #195023
Posted: 19th May 2011 01:48

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Chewbekah @ 18th May 2011 19:34)
Quote (Fatal @ 18th May 2011 03:06)

Insanely high encounter rate....glad you warned me about that in the Wii version because I was still just considering getting that instead of the complete collection. I will definitely get the PSP version now.

The PSP version is also cheaper for what you're getting. You get FFIV, the prelude and The After Years plus all their bonuses for less than you'd pay for all the After Years chapters on the Wii alone. Plus the enhanced graphics. So yeah, the PSP version is definitely better.

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

Post #195026
Posted: 20th May 2011 00:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Just ordered it with my giftcard from Amazon. Looking forward to it coming...........Perhaps I can finish Grandia II before it comes and then just move on to it next. I kind of have to start a rotation. I have several games series backed up with a few titles but I still wan to stay current with what's going. I've seen some interesting titles popping up for PS3 and DS on my amazon recommendations list. But anyway back on topic, I hope I enjoy it. It wasn't my favorite of the FFgames but perhaps this update will improve my opinion of it.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #195041
Posted: 9th June 2011 15:30

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I hear that in FF4a Edward can choose his song, but not in the original After Years.

Can he choose his song in CC!After Years?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #195331
Posted: 10th June 2011 03:59

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm playing this right now and though I am enjoying it more than I did on the SNES, the story still feels a little empty, cheezy, and contrived. But the visuals are nice. But I do have one particular gripe. Those freakin' NPC's always getting in my way when I'm trying to enter a building or go through a walkway. Get the hell outta my way!!!! Oh and the re-done music track is good. The battle theme is one of my favorite battle themes in all of FF.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #195360
Posted: 10th June 2011 05:06

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Chewbekah @ 10th June 2011 03:59)
I'm playing this right now and though I am enjoying it more than I did on the SNES, the story still feels a little empty, cheezy, and contrived.

THANK YOU
While I wouldn't have used that exact wording, I'm happy I'm not the only one who feels that way about IV's story.

I'm still greatly enjoying Complete Collection regardless.

--------------------
EGG TOSS
YOU CARRY
EAT A BAG
LEMON-DY
HEAD SAUCE
JIM CARREY
IN A BEAR
HEAVEN PEE
DAFFY-ROTH
- brentalfloss
Post #195361
Posted: 20th June 2011 08:21

Cactuar

Awards:

If the GBA features are in Complete, does that mean that you can choose any character you want for your final party to battle Zeromus ?

Cecil, Kain, Rydia and Rosa are cool. But Spoony bard VS Zeromus sounds pretty epic. tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #195505
Posted: 20th June 2011 16:07

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (ZidaneTribal @ 20th June 2011 00:21)
If the GBA features are in Complete, does that mean that you can choose any character you want for your final party to battle Zeromus ?

Cecil, Kain, Rydia and Rosa are cool. But Spoony bard VS Zeromus sounds pretty epic. tongue.gif

Yep, this is correct. Edward is actually shockingly useful as an end-game character, especially if you have tons of items - after his trial, he can give everyone protect/shell in one go - handy if Zeromus uses Black Hole a lot - and he's about twice as fast as any other character in the game, so he can keep everyone set with items if necessary.

I think I ended up using Cecil, Yang, Edge, Kain, and Rosa, but it shifted around a lot given that people had to be in the party for their trials.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #195507
Posted: 21st June 2011 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
That sounds pretty cool. It's a frequent occurrence that by endgame in JRPGs you'll end up with a gigantic stock of items that no one will ever use except in specific circumstances.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #195512
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:58

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Krigo @ 1st February 2011 22:15)
Not really too much interested in paying full price for this, however the inclusion of The After Years interests me.

I wonder if this will have the extra's from FFIV Advance or if it won't include them like FFIV DS?

If you want The After Years, I saw it on WiiWare for 800 Wii Points. ._. Don't sue me if I'm wrong.
Post #196490
Posted: 2nd July 2012 02:19

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I currently doing a FF countdown.

I started with FFXIII seven weeks ago, and I'm now just starting this again.

I haven't been inclined to take my time with any of them yet, but since I've never finished the game using Palom or Porom(and hence never had their ultimate weapons) I think I'll take my time with this.
Post #200556
Posted: 2nd July 2012 14:22

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (ZidaneTribal @ 14th April 2011 10:11)
Quote (Vihera @ 13th April 2011 04:28)
I'd say FFVI remake petition, but VII fanboys would say that VII doesn't have a remake so why should VI?

And that's not to say I don't love VII, but I hate fanboys, even though this is a VI based forum. VI is my favorite title in the franchise, but I still like VII in all its overratedness.

... But yeah, VI remake petition?  biggrin.gif

Sadly online petition's never work. FF fans have been trying online petitions for years, and they just don't work. Square Enix isn't really the type to listen.

Head to the SE headquarters and sit outside with pickit signs.

Maybe Nomura will come outside and take you to a pizza place, then a tour of the building.
Post #200563
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: