CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 12th January 2019 10:36

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I've been playing the latest God of War, it's very good, definitely worth a play. Also recently played Astro bot VR. What a fantastic game, they really nailed the fun factor, it's a very cool experience. Next up are Spiderman and the Resident Evil 2 Remake. And eventually Kingdom Hearts 3.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #215517
Posted: 12th January 2019 16:56

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I bought myself a Switch as an early Christmas present, so I've been playing Legend of Zelda: BotW for about a month now. It's really good but also really frustrating. Sometimes it feels like it's another full time job (with all the cooking and elixir making and tower-climbing, etc). I do like the story and the open-worldness, but that was a challenge too at first because I would go to places that I really wasn't ready for yet and get frustrated because there are very limited ways to get more hearts. Now I mostly play it with my iPad beside me to look up Shrine walkthroughs and such. smile.gif

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #215519
Posted: 13th January 2019 01:09

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Finished Kingdom Hearts re:Chain of Memories yesterday, and watched the 358/2 Days movie. Now I'm in the Olympus Colosseum in KH2. I'm enjoying the game, but all this gaming is starting to feel like a chore a bit.

I have never played Birth By Sleep, Coded, or Dream Drop Distance and would like to play them before I play Kingdom Hearts 3. There's no way I'll finish all the games before KH3 drops, so now I'm considering taking a Twitter hiatus starting the 29th. I'm a spoiler-phobe for games and really don't want to be spoiled. But dammit, I like my habit of reading Twitter! So I don't know what I'm going to do, si gh.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #215525
Posted: 13th February 2019 13:22
Group Icon
Returner

Red Dead redemption II
Mario
Contra
Overwatch
Post #215584
Posted: 14th February 2019 04:41

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
There's no way I'll finish all the games before KH3 drops, so now I'm considering taking a Twitter hiatus starting the 29th.

Shockers of shockers, I actually managed to complete the Kingdom Hearts franchise in time for KH3's release date! I finished Dream Drop Distance the night before, and then finished the fragmentary passage early on the 29th. I also watched Back Cover before starting KH3. I'm glad I did, because it turned out to be pretty important.

I did stay off Twitter while playing KH3. I tweeted at times but didn't read my feed, so I successfully stayed away from spoilers, yay! I rather adored KH3, and feel it just might be the best Kingdom Hearts game yet. It doesn't get a perfect 10 from me, though, mainly because I was disappointed that two of the worlds were basically a retelling of their movies. It would have been nice to see something fresh instead.

The main reason I didn't think I would finish the Kingdom Hearts games in time is because I was playing Star Ocean:Anamnesis pretty heavily. That's still true. Several months ago, I got frustrated with the game because I was having connection issues, which made multiplayer inaccessible to me. Since so much of the game revolves around multiplayer, I was forced to quit. Happily, my connection issues have since resolved and I'm able to play multiplayer again. I think this is why I got so hooked: each battle feels different because you're playing with live players, not AI. It makes it very fun.

Tonight I took a break from phone games and started a New Game+ of Final Fantasy ZV. It's making me grin just as much as the first time I played it. I'm seriously considering aiming for the platinum trophy.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #215587
Posted: 15th February 2019 06:15
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Been kinda sparsely puffing through a few things lately:

Hitman
Got this for free off of PS Plus and it's a fun as hell and I've only been playing the two tutorial levels so far! Now, to be fair, I was replaying these two levels to get all the challenges, because I assumed that's how you 'leveled up', because there is a leveling mechanic that allows for certain perks...but I cleared out all the challenges and it doesn't seemed to have made a difference so...*shrug*

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Sporadically popping around here as well. I reached the past the 'intro' opening lands to the 'super big' opening land and I'm...not sure I'll keep at it. There's nothing new that's been added to do looks like. Just more of what I'd already been doing. I dunno why that wasn't a problem before.

Resident Evil 7
This is the one I've been spitting around in the least. I already played through the entire game on easy because I was doing VR and I wasn't sure how I would handle it, but I'm going through it again now on normal and it's fine. Slightly more annoying dealing with enemies obviously.

--------------------
Post #215588
Posted: 17th February 2019 22:30

Cactuar

Awards:
Just bought a Nintendo Switch and several games:

Super Mario Odyssey - It's wonderful.

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - I have said before that I think Crash Bandicoot 2 is the best platforming game ever made and this is a faithful re-make. Note that it isn't an HD or remaster - They built these games from the ground up, in a completely new engine IIRC. Very well done. I forgot how difficult Crash 1 was!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Every character that has appeared in a SSB game? What more can be said, one of the tightest and most enjoyable fighting games out there. My only complaint is that unlocking characters is completely random - despite numerous outlets saying there are specific ways to unlock characters, for example, Ness is unlocked after 20 hours of gameplay supposedly, but I unlocked him after only an hour, beating Classic mode with Pickachu...

Mega Man 11 - I'm really digging the double-gear system but so far, Mega Man 9 and 10 were better in almost every way. The music and stage design, specifically. A solid addition to the series, none-the-less and thank god Mega Man doesn't have a helium addicted adolescent female's voice anymore. Nothing could be as bad as Mega Man 8.

Sid Meier's Civilization VI - It's almost identical to Civilization V, which is both a good and a bad thing. Nothing will ever come close to Civilization IV in terms of UI and enjoyability, but the ability to play an actual Civilization game on the go, and not that watered down pile of crap Revolution series, is all I needed to buy this game.

No Thing - This game is whacked. Vaporwave aesthetics, 8-bit soundtrack, bizarre in all respects... This is what can only be described as a First-Person/Rail/Platform hybrid (or "Runner" game). You don't get to jump, but there are ramps and ledges that will launch you into the air. Your only controls are move left or move right, but the courses are a labyrinth and you have to collect floating cubes throughout the courses to up your score. As you progress through the courses, you move faster and faster, so it becomes a literal nightmare as the environment warps around you while a robotic voice barks strange one-liners at you such as "Your shoes are shining but I know who you are" at various points during the levels... It's only a few bucks on Steam. Very difficult game. Worth a try.

--------------------
Post #215592
Posted: 18th February 2019 03:09
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
So I installed >Observer_ yesterday having bought it who knows how long ago during a steam sale. I figured I'd give it an hour run just to see what its like. I ended up playing it for three hours straight until my alarm to remind me to go to bed set off.

--------------------
Post #215593
Posted: 18th February 2019 22:03

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I finished BotW! I don't think I'll play it again, though. Same complaints as above, I didn't like how much I had to rely on walkthroughs, and all the cooking.

I'm playing Mario Kart 8 now, and want to get Octopath Traveler.

--------------------
Post #215598
Posted: 22nd March 2019 15:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Played some more Mega Man 11. I'm on the first stage of Wily's Castle.

It's actually one of the better Mega Man games now that I have spent time with it. This is what Mega Man 8 tried to be - and wishes it was. It's much better than Mega Man 10 but still not as good as Mega Man 9.

If I were to rank the games:

1. Mega Man 2
2. Mega Man 9
3. Mega Man 7
4. Mega Man 3
5. Mega Man 11
6. Mega Man 4
7. Mega Man 10
8. Mega Man 6
9. Mega Man 5
10. Mega Man
11. Mega Man 8

The double-gear system has an extremely high learning curve, imo. Which is both a good and a bad thing. You don't have to use it, and sometimes, using it actually hurts you, especially if you rely on it too much. But it adds a layer of depth to the Mega Man formula. I prefer the speed-gear to the power-gear, personally.

The music is hit-and-miss. Some of it is very catchy, but some of it is forgettable. The first Wily stage is an instant classic, though.

The boss weapons are above-average, but each one is very specific with what it does - their path of projectile is very interesting. You have a vertical weapon, a 45 degree angle weapon, a ground-based attack, etc.... I think it's the most diverse boss-weapon set in terms of what each weapon does.

Rush coil and Rush jet being shortcut buttons helps a lot but I found the Rush jet to be clunky and it has an automatic flight path in whichever direction you are facing when you initiate it, which is kind of a draw-back. If I could control the ascent and descent as well as the flight path, I would have preferred it. It's a fixed speed and sometimes you hit the edge of a ledge and it drops you down a chasm.

Other than that, it grew on me tremendously as I played it more and more. A fine addition to the series.

7.5/10

--------------------
Post #215678
Posted: 22nd March 2019 18:52
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I'm probably done with Metro 2033. There's a mechanic it has that has basically made it impossible to continue with the game.

I also finished Observer, legit in this case. I like it, though the end left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Finally back to clearing out my PS4 catalog.

UPDATE: NOPE!

Got m'self a Switch and for the past month 'r so, I have been running willy nilly all over Hyrule! First impressions were...mixed. Loved the game, but these micro-machines controllers took some real getting used to and it added on a extra bit of challenge I didn't really appreciate. But with that hump over, I am an in awe at the size of this land! Absolute Unit!

I spent two full weekends just wondering around the hills and valleys of Lanayru, the first region you get directed to after ya clear the plateau, and it is far from the largest area in the game. As I said, I've had this game about a month now, and I still have some five regions of the world I've yet to visit...and they take up a good half of the map size! Daunting, to say the least. You can see how this game has kinda swept aside all other priorities.

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 29th April 2019 05:03

--------------------
Post #215679
Posted: 4th June 2019 21:44

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
I've been playing Octopath Traveler for a few weeks. It's a beautiful game with an interesting concept, but I don't think it's for me. I don't find the characters all that interesting, and the battles take forEVER. It's also very formulaic in the way the stories progress, or at least I find it is. I've read guides, and tried to follow the advice, but still the random battles take a few minutes when they really shouldn't.

Anyone have any RPG recommendations? I have a Switch, a PS4, and a PS3. I have already finished BotW.

--------------------
Post #215792
Posted: 5th June 2019 23:49
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
As have I. Been playing Alien Isolation to relax before I finally put on the helmet again and finish up my Resident Evil VIIR run. Also Spiderman.

And The Witcher.

...and Brothers in Arms...

...uuuuuuugh!

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 5th June 2019 23:49

--------------------
Post #215802
Posted: 16th June 2019 16:15

Returner

Recently started Xenosaga. I've also been playing Sonic Mania.
Post #215818
Posted: 28th June 2019 21:07
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

I'm never going to get around to finishing those games, am I?

--------------------
Post #215831
Posted: 13th August 2019 18:57

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
In my last post I stayed that I was playing Star Ocean:Anamnesis pretty heavily. Sadly, that game is closing down in November, so I've already dropped it. I'm a bit sad because I really enjoyed the gameplay, but I am not surprised it didn't laat. Gacha games need a ton of characters to work, and SO:A seemed to not have many--and those they did have were alts. I don't understand why they didn't make new characters for the game. I mean, they were on a space ship! Just discover a new planet and BAM! There's your excuse for new characters.

I also abandoned my NG+ of FFXV. I'll finish it eventually, but I'm not in the mood right now.

I played FFV for the Fiesta, which I posted about elsewhere.

But a few days ago I started FFXII:ZA. I've played the original version of the game a few years ago and loved it, though I lost some sense of the story as I played it over a six month period. I plan on going through ZA much faster, though I have to balance it with my shawl knitting.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #215856
Posted: 18th August 2019 12:43

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
AltheaValara, I'm knitting a shawl too. (actually, two of them, but I've mostly been working on the Find Your Fade one since I bought yarn for it in July). I find I'm more in the mood for knitting shawls lately, though part of that is because it's summer. Socks and shawls is where I'm at.

I've been mostly playing Pokemon Go! and Pokemon Let's Go!: Eevee. I've been getting out walking a LOT since it's summer and I like feeling like I'm in a game while playing Pokemon Go.

I didn't enjoy FFXV enough to replay it.

--------------------
Post #215857
Posted: 4th October 2019 07:44
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Link's Awakening is just the most adorable. It also runs kinda crap.

Honestly that amazes me, but doesn't surprise me. The game looks incredible with it's diorama-like approach to the aesthetics, but apparently that's more than the Switch can handle. It's largely only an issue whenever you enter a new area as the game will create some post-processing blur for the top of the screen while the area's name pops up. It wouldn't be all that big a deal except this is a 1:1 scale recreation of the original Game Boy world...which isn't that big, so you'll be traversing through new areas every minute if not less, which means this issue pops up pretty often while traversing the overworld. The fact it also chugs when a lot of enemies are on screen don't help either. Martha's Bay has some particularly sore spots.

It's rather striking just how small everything feels compared to the original game, which makes sense given the art style and the removal of screen-by-screen traversal...and yet it's equally impressive just how much there is to do in the game. There's well over a dozen different biomes with two separate towns. It's a lot more compact than say Link to the Past, but at the same time it feels much more ambitious in scope. Considering this was originally designed around a system that had a screen the size of the average forum avatar.

Man, Switch-era Zelda has just been an unmitigated stream of home-runs!

Oh yeah, I suppose I should mention I've been playing RE VRII again and got The Last of Us remaster from Playstation Plus. Switching (heh...) from Nintendo's dinky controllers immediately to the PS4's makes these things feel like they're the original XBox controllers!

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 4th October 2019 07:46

--------------------
Post #215883
Posted: 4th October 2019 12:50

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Been playing on and off between morrowind and last of us lately.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #215885
Posted: 4th October 2019 20:12

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm up to Sochen Cave Palace in my play of FFXII:ZA, but I kind of abandoned that the past two weeks. I've scheduled myself to play more today.

And yes, I did have to schedule it because I started playing Final Fantasy XIV, the last of the numbered main-line Final Fantasy games I had yet to play. I, uh, fell into it kind of hard. I'm Althea Valara on Coeurl (Crystal data center) if anyone would like to be friends in game.

To nobody's surprise, I'm playing as a white mage (the name Althea means healer, if you didn't know). I'm really enjoying the story and gameplay, though when I first started it, it made me miss FFXI. I did spend several years of my life playing that game, so it's not surprising I miss it.

The next time I play I'll be challenging Titan. That was a really long quest-line to work up to him!

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #215888
Posted: 6th October 2019 15:26

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
I'm also playing Link's Awakening and really enjoying it.

I haven't noticed any of the blurring that Narrotorway mentioned, but I'll look out for that next time I play. Maybe I just didn't see it or was looking away.

In a way, this game is more satisfying than BOtW because My Weapon And Shield Don't F'ing Break.

(I'm also still playing Pokemon Go. I walk 50km a week now)

--------------------
Post #215892
Posted: 7th October 2019 07:01
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Actually I was wrong. I thought there wasn't any blurring up top except for those title prompts, but it turns out the blur is always present, it just covers more area for those brief moments the title text is on screen. Keeps things subtle while still accomplishing the goal of making the world feel like a miniature model someone made.

I beat the game and I do have a few picks that need nitting. They nerfed some of the items, which I'm not especially on board with. The original Game Boy game had a boomerang and hookshot that was lethal for certain enemies that now only stun. I'm less riled over the hookshot seeing as its a mandatory item drop, but the boomerang is optional and it takes work to get involving a game-long sidequest and the sacrifice of another item in your inventory. The original reward for all this effort was a long-range item that OHK pretty much everything that wasn't a miniboss or higher. Now, there's really nothing it offers that you don't get out of the much quicker hookshot and absolutely nothing that justifies all the work you have to put in to get it.

--------------------
Post #215893
Posted: 9th October 2019 20:29

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #215896
Posted: 3rd November 2019 03:52

Returner

ff7
Post #215910
Posted: 13th December 2019 15:07

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just finish Call of Cthulhu on PS4. Okay, I got one ending and I'm intrigued to see the rest. I did enjoy it and if you are a fan of deduction and the Mythos give it a play. I found it very relaxing. From here I want to pick up Horizon Zero Dawn again. Hubby still hasn't finished Seiken Densetsu 3 so I'll probably pick that up with him this weekend. I also need to go back to Penumbra. Good grief, losing my love for gaming hurt.

This post has been edited by St Khael on 13th December 2019 15:07

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #215929
Posted: 21st December 2019 07:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Still playing Final Fantasy Brave Exvius daily, though how much I play on any given day varies. I've had days where I log in, say "eh, I'm not in the mood", and close the app. Other days I play for hours. It's hard to believe it's been over three years since I started playing. I stick with it for the story, which is fantastic. Season Three of the story starts next month.

I have finished FFXIV: A Realm Reborn! I quite liked it. It's a bit rough in spots but altogether it's pretty solid story-wise, certainly better than XI's story. I've moved on to Heavensward, but am taking a break from the story to level crafting and make gil so I can buy a house.

I'm thinking of starting a new game soon, either Tactics (which I've had on my phone for a year now and still haven't played) or Bravely Default. First I need to tear myself away from XIV though.

This post has been edited by AltheaValara on 21st December 2019 07:35

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #215938
Posted: 21st December 2019 17:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I think I've finally shelved World of Final Fantasy. I threw a good thirty hours into the game for trophy hunting after I finished the plot, but the last few trophies I would need to get platinum just seem a little too painful to deal with.

I grabbed Wolfenstein: The New Order on Steamsale at Thanksgiving because I'd always thought it looked more interesting than the previous games in the series, and it actually was pretty decent. I finished it about a week or so ago, and might pick up the sequel on the current Steamsale as I doubt it will get much cheaper than $12 for quite a while.

Currently my daughter and I are doing Untitled Goose Game since it released on Playstation this past week. It's short - we're about halfway through it already, at least on the first pass - but I don't think I've ever played a game with her that made us laugh quite this hard. It's been worth every penny and then some already.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #215939
Posted: 25th December 2019 18:52

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Finished Tales of Berseria over the summer, an, since then, I've been off and on with Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. It's mostly more of what I got in the first PoE, but with a piraty/Polynesian flavor, and that's (mostly) not a complaint.

--------------------
Post #215941
Posted: 29th December 2019 05:22

Returner

I'm playing Witcher 3 atm, but I have (finally!) bought the Steam version of FF6 so I suppose you can guess what I'll be playing next.
Post #215942
Posted: 4th January 2020 07:47
Behemoth

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
System Shock

I have two separate drives I boot off of in this computer. One is this one which I use for general purposes (i.e. online activities, media, etc) and another that's used purely for gaming. Doing this allows my gaming drive to run better since I'm not doing as much boneheaded crap on it. At some point a few years ago though I decided to install Steam on this drive too so I could access the less resource intensive games I had. Such as System Shock. It's actually a game I talked about not too long ago and I found out something when I reinstalled it:

I would strongly recommend either finding that mod or buying the re-release as mouselook completely changes the texture of the game...and oddly enough it's specifically because their was another vital quality-of-life improvement the new version didn't include: key rebinding.

user posted image

I dunno. I installed the 'enhanced edition' this time, which is what I thought I installed the first time I took this puppy for a ride. Maybe I didn't or maybe Nightdive just did a completely revamped glow up of their version since then. Either way, turns out key binding is something the game has. Also turns out that...doesn't really matter as much as you'd think.

I found the only additional actions that helped me were remapping the body position keys (i.e. lean/crouch/prone) and the mouselook toggle to the middle mouse button. A reload button would've been nice too, but I couldn't spot it. These changes made the game only marginally less clunky than the first time round honestly. It was still a fun ride though the physics felt more wonky, which is saying something.

--------------------
Post #215945
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: