CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Sounds/music in games that terrified you

Posted: 27th January 2018 23:09

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Does anyone have any sounds or music from video games that used to terrify them when they were young (or even now, I'm not judging)? There's a couple for me that I can can think of off the top of my head.

This post has been edited by Cefca on 27th January 2018 23:10
Post #214476
Posted: 28th January 2018 02:04
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Post #214477
Posted: 28th January 2018 17:49

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Narratorway @ 28th January 2018 02:04)

That's bad enough just listening to the track itself; I can only imagine how bad it is while playing the actual game as well.
Post #214478
Posted: 29th January 2018 13:42

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Haha, that Sonic drowning music is an excellent choice. That gave me plenty of pants-soiling moments and I hated all aquatic areas as a result. All Diablo 1 music are also excellent choices.

For my money and when I was a kid, it was the first opening sounds of the battle music of The 7th Saga. It's not terrible on paper and you hear it all the freaking time in the game, but when you consider how off-the-rails difficult some of the random encounters can be, knowing you may die an unfair death and lose an hour of unsaved progress....ugh. Ugh, ugh, uuuugggghhh. You have to listen to this before you see which enemy encounter you get, and you spend that whole time just praying it's an easier one.

Both of my original Super Nintendo controllers have a bad rattle inside from something I knocked loose, because I would throw the controller in rage after some of these BS fights.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 29th January 2018 15:51
Post #214479
Posted: 6th February 2018 02:28

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
A couple from the original Command and Conquer game:

When you're marching your army through the shroud towards the enemy base and you hear the ominous sound of an Obelisk of Light charging up to destroy half of your army.

When you're playing as GDI in the final mission thinking you're building up a strong base and you hear three dreaded words: nuclear warhead approaching. Then you watch as half that base gets wiped out.
Post #214498
Posted: 6th February 2018 22:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Cefca @ 27th January 2018 23:09)
Whenever I played Diablo with my cousin and we'd get to the floor with the Butcher. I mean the whole game creeped me out (especially that part, I was only little), but when you open the door to his lair and he would growl "Ahh...fresh meat!!" sad.gif

While I can't say I was terrified, I will never forget that as long as I live. A buddy I grew up with had a PC and that demo before the game was out and I don't know how many times, in the wee hours of the morning, we raided The Butcher and took his cleaver.

Good memories, glad I read this topic.
Post #214502
Posted: 7th February 2018 08:04

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I wouldn't call it terrifying so much as unsettling, but for a long time starting in my late 20s, I developed a tic (while trying to quit smoking) where I would flinch every time a random encounter began in any rpg. It faded recently, but I was worried that it was going to plague me for the rest of my life.

As for sounds that terrified me, that's a tough one. Gaming makes me feel pretty invulnerable. Most games are designed to stop me from winning for as long as it is interesting for me, the player, to continue to tolerate, and not as a rule any longer.

I have spent so much time playing different games over the years that I have come to expect this behavior instinctively. Virtua Fighter 2 never really made me feel this way, to be honest, and it's the reason I actually never developed much interest in it. It's hard in the name of realism, giving by its nature less thought to the comfort of the player's experience.

Getting back to the point, knowing that the game is mostly and usually just trying to entertain me usually mitigates quite a bit of the fear I would have otherwise experienced.

That being said, there is one sound which scares me quite a bit that I heard from a videogame, though it was completely unintentional on the part of the programmers.

When a NES softlocks, it will often continue playing whatever note it was playing back at the time it locked. To have this happen at a crucial moment in a NES game (which could be quite intense) was often horrifying, because it kind of slapped you in the face with a game over without so much as a warning. Bonus horror if you were playing a battery backed game, because these softlocks could often erase your save file.

For that matter, I will forever live in fear of the sound of a Nintendo falling on the floor after some dunderhead (often me) tripped over the cord.

And on a similar note...

I once was playing Final Fantasy III for the SNES, a system I got used to thinking of as reliable in ways I have just described its predecessor as not necessarily having been; but it could produce glitches from time to time, and this particular one kind of weirded me out. It also has never happened to me again since that day.

I got on the Phantom Train at Doma, and the melancholy piano waltz began playing as the sound of the wheels bumping over rail endings faded away. Everything was normal, I had heard this before...

Then the timpani began playing a beat early, and continued to strike a beat early as the music (the fat horn riff) started.

My eyes kind of went saucer like and I reset the game, wondering if my FFIII cart was haunted! Still gives me the willies to this day.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 7th February 2018 08:05

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #214507
Posted: 7th February 2018 21:58

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Silent Hill 4: The Room.

Normally, I don't bug out for sounds unless my (purposefully vague) phobia gets triggered. But, when playing SH4 I got the proverbial life startled out of me. There's a scene where a character can stray across unhallowed (and seemingly alive) ground and proceeds to start talking in tongues. The distortion track they use over the character's voice is an old film trick that's been used for ages for demonic possession. Needless to say, a cold chill went through me and I was terrified. This sound distortion technique is why I've stayed away from horror movies for the most part and still gets me every time I hear it to this day.

But then, that fear just made the game that much more fun. >:3

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #214508
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: