CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Video Games that Aged Terribly

Posted: 21st February 2017 09:42

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 21st February 2017 00:31)
Serious question, is English a second language to you?

There's no need to get upset and throw personal insults around.

I'm not singling you out 'incessantly,' quit playing the victim rolleyes-straight.gif

I just made a pedantic response to your ffx points, I didn't wanna go full FFX defence force but honestly you respond with such ire every time it's hard not to get dragged in.

I actually disagree with the OP's definition of a game ageing badly. I may not think it's right but a thread doesn't have to adhere to OP's definition of something in order for discussion to take place, that'd be silly. See, ageing games goes beyond subjectivity.

The archetypal poorly aged game is one that relies on graphics or novel gimmicks for its appeal. This isn't hard to understand.
MK was a great example. SF2 aged better because it's simply a better game.

So. *sigh* here's the difference.

1. Goldeneye was fun and groundbreaking at the time, the graphics were cutting edge for consoles. The experience of four player local competitive was novel at the time and fun,yes.

It's aged because the graphics have been eclipsed, as have the controls. The controls haven't changed, they were always clunky, they've been made obselete by later games. Modern FPS controls are so much smoother, twin sticks etc.
So going back now you really feel the difference. That's a real example of a game ageing poorly imo.

I tried goldeneye 3 player a year ago, it was good fun. The potential to have a good time with it doesn't disappear with time, it's not a loaf of bread..

2. I didn't read the Illusion of Gaia segment cause I have no interest in the game. But let's see..

Shallow dialogue - well that can be explained to some extent by snes memory limits. But if other games of its era had more substantial dialogue then this isn't about the game itself ageing.

Level design - same applies. If other snes games had better level design it's not about age.
Unless it's the age of the player we're talking about because said player had a less developed critical eye, or something.

3. Stairs the stairs is a great example.

4. FFX criticisms.

Story - If it was bland it was always bland. This isn't related to the age of the game, it's quite simple.

Voice acting - this could be about age. It depends if having fully voiced characters was so revolutionary back in the day that the playerbase and reviewers could overlook how corny and cringey those characters sound.
Metal Gear Solid had far superior voice acting though and that was on the ps1, let alone the sequels on ps2. GTA series also comes to mind.
However I am willing to concede the voice point. The average quality of voice acting from ffx's day was far worse than today's average. Back then you could forgive bad voices by saying "it's just a game."

Predictability - Even if it is as predictable as DT says, it's nothing to do with the game's age.

Battle system - Again, this isn't tied to the games release date. If it was bad, it was always bad.

So yeah saying a game aged poorly because you go back and play it and don't enjoy it on a later playthrough doesn't really fly.

I could know every single dungeon and puzzle off by heart in Ocarina, go back and be bored playing it because there's nothing new. I guess it aged badly for me! wink.gif

If you wanna justify everything you say with "well that's just how I FEEL about the game" then be my guest.

tl;dr DT says game ageing is subjective. I say it's more objective.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #212265
Posted: 21st February 2017 13:55

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
There is a word for what you guys are arguing about:

Minutiae.

məˈn(y)o͞oSHēˌē,məˈn(y)o͞oSHēˌī

noun

plural noun: minutiae; plural noun: minutia

the small, precise, or trivial details of something.

"the minutiae of everyday life"

synonyms: details, niceties, finer points, particulars, trivia, trivialities

"the captain cannot be concerned with the minutiae of shipboard life"

...You guys both seem like cool dudes. I hate to see you argue. ~ Spoony

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 21st February 2017 13:55

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212267
Posted: 21st February 2017 14:11

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 21st February 2017 10:42)

tl;dr DT says game ageing is subjective. I say it's more objective.

I think I agree and disagree with both. A game can only age well or badly objectively, I think. That will probably depend on how it stands the test of time - whether its plot is ageless, its quality so great that it outshines its lack of technological advancement. That is to me the same test for how well books, TV, or films have aged as well.

However, your opinion of a game over time is of course subjective, and each to our own. What now feels dull and boring to me compared to my perception as a child will inevitably differ from what feels dull to you now. We all experience changing tastes as we progress through life!

I think the OP is broad enough that this thread can include both of these possibilities equally and widen the discussion. Whilst different, they are, after all, very similar concepts.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #212270
Posted: 21st February 2017 15:20

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Spooniest @ 21st February 2017 07:55)
...You guys both seem like cool dudes. I hate to see you argue. ~ Spoony

You've posted at least twice in this thread without adding to the topic, going all meta about personal conflicts. Those conflicts aren't this thread, so if you want to play peacemaker, take it to PM, please.

On topic myself - there have been some really good posts in this thread. Goldeneye is a solid pick, though at least there's Goldeneye Source. Not played that in a long time, but it was a nice shot of nostalgia in a more-playable form. I was never a Mortal Kombat fan, but I agree that it's aged horribly as well. Final Fantasy I is another good choice, but not for the reasons TrueBOSS mentions, IMO - I find that the PSP version in particular is actually really playable and still fun despite the lack of plot, but the mechanics of the NES version are just painful to me now.

I'm struggling to come up with any new entries myself, probably because I don't play that many games, particularly not old ones. I've also said in plenty of other places that I'm probably softer on games than I should be. I'll just piggyback on you actual gamers in this thread again later.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 21st February 2017 17:06

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212275
Posted: 21st February 2017 15:26

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I think Final Fantasy 4 aged poorly, but not in terms of gameplay or graphics or music.... I think time has shown that the plot is pretty one-note. It tells a good tale, but it's just not very complex or interesting. I can forgive that, because it's fun to play and the plot actually WAS pretty deep in its era, but as video games have become more of a storytelling medium, one of the earliest entries just doesn't hold up as well anymore.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #212279
Posted: 21st February 2017 18:53

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Stairs the stairs

I agree with Dragon Warrior being a game that aged poorly. And even when it was fairly new, it seemed completely dumb to have to go to your menu and select Stairs just to use them. I've tried several times to get to the end on this after remembering how much I enjoyed it when I was young, but the grinding is absolutely insane. Plus, if you died during grinding, the punishment was rough.

I just can't bring myself to say FF4 aged poorly yet! I still love it. It's pretty simple overall but I always appreciated you didn't quite start out as the good guy, and the road to redemption is long.

How about another?

user posted image
(Don't worry Kraid, you can only go up from here.)

The original Metroid. Oh sure, the first few areas are memorable especially for franchise veterans, and the game overall plays decent for its time, which was what got me hooked. This game introduced many things that became staples of its genre and the franchise it would establish. I loved this when I first played it because it threw you right into the action, and a lot of the secret areas sure were challenging to find. But speaking of challenging to find, where the heck am I going? This is a labyrinth and there is...no map?! There is no MAP!! So many of the rooms look similar, and it was such a chore to slog through when I tried again a while back. This game may also suffer from just how amazing Super Metroid was, which may be unfair. I can only see this game being picked back up if I've just played Super Metroid way too many times and if it will one day start to bore me. Well, it hasn't happened yet, so on the shelves you stay, Metroid! I guess Zero Mission would be an appropriate remake to try some day since it has a map.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 21st February 2017 18:56
Post #212284
Posted: 24th February 2017 04:45

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Neal @ 21st February 2017 07:26)
I think Final Fantasy 4 aged poorly, but not in terms of gameplay or graphics or music.... I think time has shown that the plot is pretty one-note. It tells a good tale, but it's just not very complex or interesting. I can forgive that, because it's fun to play and the plot actually WAS pretty deep in its era, but as video games have become more of a storytelling medium, one of the earliest entries just doesn't hold up as well anymore.

My agreement with this statement doesn't change my deep-seated feelings of FFIV being my favorite FF borne in large part out of nostalgia. What was dynamic storytelling now seems almost hokey at times...

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #212312
Posted: 24th February 2017 09:37
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

--------------------
Post #212314
Posted: 9th March 2017 15:07

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 16th February 2017 09:18)
Is it blasphemy here to note that one of the major reasons I never came back to check out Final Fantasy VII is because the art style is a major turnoff for me? I don't consider myself a graphics snob, but the blocky sprites I've seen look terrible. I think I'd have to wait for the FF7 remaster at this point.

Honestly, I often enjoy the quirks of PS1 era graphics. Technical restraints forced ingenuity which gives them character (I could compare the decisions of Grandia and FFVII all day!) - in many cases more character, imo, than most A-list titles on new systems (which is where the idiosyncratic aesthetics of indie titles come in for me).

My addition to the thread is Gauntlet Dark Legacy. I remember loving that thing on the Gamecube when I was in middle school. But dang, is it boring when revisited. Literally just holding down the same button the whole time. It's not just essential to have four players to make it interesting... you really need four players that are, well, middle school boys, able to bring their own energy/excitement. Because Gauntlet certainly isn't going to give you any of either except what it reflects back at you tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #212383
Posted: 10th March 2017 10:57

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Wolfenstein 3D is another one. It's a hard game to play now, endless corridors that all look the same. Identical doors, easy to get lost if you don't use the map.
No story, no challenge for most of it, far too easy. Pointless collectibles that do absolutely nothing.
Once you play the fantastic Doom, there's no reason to return to Wolfenstein 3D, pardon the pun.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212384
Posted: 10th March 2017 14:45

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Quote (fatman @ 10th March 2017 06:57)
Wolfenstein 3D is another one. It's a hard game to play now, endless corridors that all look the same. Identical doors, easy to get lost if you don't use the map.
No story, no challenge for most of it, far too easy. Pointless collectibles that do absolutely nothing.
Once you play the fantastic Doom, there's no reason to return to Wolfenstein 3D, pardon the pun.

Yeah, Wolfenstein is so tough to play now. Doom passed it rather quickly and was far more fun to play in the ensuing years, and still has its charm today!

I haven't played Gauntlet Dark Legacy or Comix Zone to judge those, unfortunately.

Here's another one I can't deal with anymore:

user posted image

I used to be obsessed with playing Star Fox when it came out, and the sounds the characters make while speaking are still stuck in my head. But now, I can't get past the first couple levels without putting the game back down and on the shelf, and most of my problem with this game is graphics-related. This game was an important game to showcase what was to come in the N64 era, and a decent test of limits on the SNES console, but thank goodness for Star Fox 64's level design, memorable voice acting and refinements on the original.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 10th March 2017 14:50
Post #212385
Posted: 10th March 2017 19:32

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
user posted image
wise fwom yol glave

Altered Beast on the Sega Mega Drive was amaaaaaazing when it came out. Really good, clear voice samples did not exist in home console games up until this point. When you push start and that horribly mangled 11000hz voice sample plays, you are totally in the game.

It is a bulls___ quarter-stealing piece of crap. The Mega Drive version is somewhat more malleable, but it requires knowing a code (it's one of those 'hold this button during startup' things) to access its options menu that I can never remember at all.

It scrolls the screen automatically all the time. It is not about exploration or freedom, you are locked on rails the entire game, and forced to keep advancing at enemies that have 100/1 priority over your attacks all. the. time. Your attacks have several frames of animation. Enemies' do not, typically. They just hit you and you're boned.

It is not really a very fair or fun game, but it is more about atmosphere and coolness than actual gameplay guts. Ghosts and Goblins may be a quarter-muncher, but it is technically fair if you know what you are doing, most of the time. Altered Beast just wants your quarter, and it's willing to traumatize young kids who play the arcade version with a MUCH higher pitched and clearer death scream (anyone else hate the game Night Striker for similar reasons? - ed).

I do not care for this game anymore. Double Dragon please.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 10th March 2017 19:34

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212387
Posted: 11th March 2017 03:44

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Y'know I think Star Fox illustrates an interesting thought:

A good number of games from "back in the day", before graphics really got good, have...quite abstracted representations of things -- like characters, spaceships, monsters, and so on. The classic turn-based JRPG battle interface is another good example.

Abstract representations of things is not a bad thing by itself. We use it all the time in real life -- in diagrams of things, for example, such as maps. Even in gaming, they continue to be used a lot -- it's common to see people playing D&D with miniatures, or even with coins on grid paper.

But the most important thing about these abstract features is that they are given a meaningful context, which allows us to make sense of these features.

Videogames these days have more than enough graphical capability to represent many, perhaps most, interactions with explicit displays of things, from cinematic kill animations to "realistic" object physics. But we couldn't enjoy these things in the old days. So how did we enjoy those games?

I think:
1. They gave us enough context that made those abstract items meaningful. The screenshot you posted is a good example -- you could see it as weird blocky polygons shooting other polygons at yet other polygons, but there's a frog talking to you. And because of other contextual information, you know that that frog is your teammate and you want to help him. Contrast this to some modern indie games that just try run simply on gameplay alone, with names like "Pixel Whatever" and basically no flavor elements.
2. We had more patience. With fewer games to play, and fewer other sources of distraction media to choose from, we either didn't play or we learned to read and absorb and reconstruct and imagine.

I don't mean to imply that Star Fox is a perfect gem. It's not. But it certainly did its job and did it well enough.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212389
Posted: 11th March 2017 04:50
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Well let's also not ignore that fact that as a result of being a 3d game on the SNES, it had to contend with a wildly inconsistent framerate that at top speeds maybe reached 15 fps. That's a not-insignificant hindrance for a twitch shooter to have.

--------------------
Post #212390
Posted: 11th March 2017 19:05

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 10th March 2017 23:50)
Well let's also not ignore that fact that as a result of being a 3d game on the SNES, it had to contend with a wildly inconsistent framerate that at top speeds maybe reached 15 fps. That's a not-insignificant hindrance for a twitch shooter to have.

The dawn of geometry-algorithm-drawn polygonal 3-D, the SuperFX chip, as it's called. Yes, the SNES's VRAM was inadequate for a proper framerate to track motion, but the cool thing was that it seems to give the game a 'buoyant' feel...you feel like you are flying, and when you hit the speed booster or brake, the 'feel' is very well done. They knew which framerate it would do at maximum and how it would affect gameplay from testing the SNES's capabilities, I'm certain.

But no, playing even Star Fox 64 is miles away much better looking. Thankfully, Star Fox on the SNES's faulknering SCORE is the stuff of grand dreams, and I want to be listening to Corneria's music right. Now. No joke.

smile.gif Gracious. But yeh ugly jank polygons, yuck

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212391
Posted: 11th March 2017 20:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I wish they released Star Fox 2.

Ironically I've beaten Star Fox 2 while I've barely played Star Fox itself.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212392
Posted: 12th March 2017 19:00

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 10th March 2017 19:32)

Altered Beast on the Sega Mega Drive was amaaaaaazing when it came out. Really good, clear voice samples did not exist in home console games up until this point. When you push start and that horribly mangled 11000hz voice sample plays, you are totally in the game.

It is a bulls___ quarter-stealing piece of crap. The Mega Drive version is somewhat more malleable, but it requires knowing a code (it's one of those 'hold this button during startup' things) to access its options menu that I can never remember at all.

It scrolls the screen automatically all the time. It is not about exploration or freedom, you are locked on rails the entire game, and forced to keep advancing at enemies that have 100/1 priority over your attacks all. the. time. Your attacks have several frames of animation. Enemies' do not, typically. They just hit you and you're boned.

It is not really a very fair or fun game, but it is more about atmosphere and coolness than actual gameplay guts. Ghosts and Goblins may be a quarter-muncher, but it is technically fair if you know what you are doing, most of the time. Altered Beast just wants your quarter, and it's willing to traumatize young kids who play the arcade version with a MUCH higher pitched and clearer death scream (anyone else hate the game Night Striker for similar reasons? - ed).

I do not care for this game anymore. Double Dragon please.

I think it's fun to revisit for a few minutes every few years but you're right, it's a harsh game. A game of pure frustration much of the time. Those essential lightning orbs that float skyward, if you fail to jump and grab it in time you might be waiting a while for the next one. So if you've just been knocked down by an unfair attack as one appears.. unlucky. Try not to cry as it dissappears.

And the platforming is terrible. Which really ruins the game altogether once you reach level 3. Falling means you lose an entire life. And a knock from an enemy (who often appear out of nowhere at speed) basically spells a quick death much of the time. Good luck even reaching the end of that level. But at least the game had co-op, so we could suffer with a friend, eh?

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212393
Posted: 13th March 2017 07:46

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The last time I tried to play Wolfenstien 3d, I quit because of being unable to assign separate strafe keys. biggrin.gif

Anyways, my addition to this topic is TMNT: the arcade game on the NES. With only three different attack abilities, it often comes down to using the same tactics on the same enemy types over and over. The challenge is one of endurance, though whether it's about having enough lives to beat the final bosses (since continuing throws the player back to the start of the pair) or maintaining attention long enough to complete the game is open to interpretation.
Post #212397
Posted: 13th March 2017 08:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
user posted image
I sure hope nothing mind-bendingly insane happens on my paper route today

Paperboy was funny when it came out, but it just kind of lost its charm over time, especially since people do not typically read printed periodicals to get their news these days.

smile.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212400
Posted: 13th March 2017 16:01

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (DragonKnight Zero @ 13th March 2017 03:46)
The last time I tried to play Wolfenstien 3d, I quit because of being unable to assign separate strafe keys. biggrin.gif

Anyways, my addition to this topic is TMNT: the arcade game on the NES. With only three different attack abilities, it often comes down to using the same tactics on the same enemy types over and over. The challenge is one of endurance, though whether it's about having enough lives to beat the final bosses (since continuing throws the player back to the start of the pair) or maintaining attention long enough to complete the game is open to interpretation.

Interesting, this one was always my favorite TMNT game! I wonder how much of it is nostalgia, though. I haven't played it in so, so long. I do recall being somewhat disappointed when I got the game on the NES since it didn't look as awesome as the arcade game.

Altered Beast, to me, was a complete joke from the very beginning starting with the awesomely-bad voices. Your "guy" is hilariously awkward at every moment until you transform, and usually just as awkward after. The best human attack in the game was the low kick attack which translated to basically nut-shotting everybody in the beginning stages. And let's be honest, the first half of every single stage was a complete bore until you got your monster form. And if you missed the "POWER. UP."s you felt so screwed. So for me, I'm not sure if this game aged terribly so much as it was never a good game to begin with.
Post #212401
Posted: 13th March 2017 17:49

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Spooniest @ 13th March 2017 03:58)
user posted image
I sure hope nothing mind-bendingly insane happens on my paper route today

Paperboy was funny when it came out, but it just kind of lost its charm over time, especially since people do not typically read printed periodicals to get their news these days.

smile.gif

I still think Paperboy is an amusing game in a "what sorts of random s*** can go wrong today?" way.

It's probably more fun to watch than to play though.

And probably more fun if you're into deadpan humor.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212402
Posted: 13th March 2017 19:51

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
I had forgotten about a big one until today:

user posted image
(A savage look at everyday cruelties in nature)

Donkey Kong Country 64. Back at the tail end of 1999 when released, this game was critically acclaimed, and I bought the hype along with the rest (2.4 million, in copies sold). It was riding on a wave of strong platformers and it attempted to capitalize on the success of SM64 and Banjo-Kazooie. I played this game a lot in the hopes it would be as great as Donkey Kong Country was, years before. It felt like there was just so much to do, and so many areas to explore. The boss battles were interesting. I never did quite collect everything, as many of the items were very frustrating to find and acquire. And in DK64, this was a problem, as collecting was crucial to the gameplay and ending.

As time has gone on, this game has gotten more and more difficult to pick back up. I never felt truly free in this game like in Super Mario 64, and it was way more repetitive than Banjo-Kazooie. I keep feeling locked by being the wrong character in a specific area, so it was a constant walk of leaving the area, changing characters, and coming back. Backtracking upon backtracking. Nah, give me the other N64 platformers over this tedious game any day.
Post #212404
Posted: 24th December 2017 05:54

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (TheEvilEye)
Donkey Kong Country 64. Back at the tail end of 1999 when released, this game was critically acclaimed, and I bought the hype along with the rest (2.4 million, in copies sold). It was riding on a wave of strong platformers and it attempted to capitalize on the success of SM64 and Banjo-Kazooie. I played this game a lot in the hopes it would be as great as Donkey Kong Country was, years before. It felt like there was just so much to do, and so many areas to explore. The boss battles were interesting. I never did quite collect everything, as many of the items were very frustrating to find and acquire. And in DK64, this was a problem, as collecting was crucial to the gameplay and ending.

As time has gone on, this game has gotten more and more difficult to pick back up. I never felt truly free in this game like in Super Mario 64, and it was way more repetitive than Banjo-Kazooie.

Games of that era tend to age poorly, except for the select few like Super Mario 64, Ocarina and Majora, etc., the great games of the time. But I still have a soft spot for it. DK64 had some creative designs and ideas. In terms of gameplay, it was mostly a collect-a-thon. That's the part that has aged the most. But the designs are imaginative, and the comedy is on par with that of the original DKC games. The part I remember most is the Aztec area that featured a llama. The five characters also made it unique.

Quote (Neal)

IV was definitely an innovator in story. I think the story doesn't seem as clear or carefully planned as the games that followed. It has some good elements, but it lacks direction.

Quote (fatman)

I disagree. There are some similar looking corridors, but I've always found Wolfenstein to be more creative and imaginative than Doom. And depending on what difficulty you play it could be very hard.

--------------------
Post #214300
Posted: 31st December 2017 10:23

Cactuar

Awards:
Warning: This post is a little critical. Read with care.

C'mon boys and girls. I 'Struggle' with games old and new all the time. I'm sure there's a thread around here about ideal games? I wonder who could have started it?

On the other hand I'll bite and answer here. Are you saying that games age badly because the aesthetics can vary game to game author to author?

I'm sorry age has also been a factor is doubting a game. If the creators of the game had the ability to control time and space, they could predict what you wouldn't like about it.

This post obviously condescending and a moderator can step in but this is what I'm talking about.

Why does the creator of any game have to obey you if you didn't help work on it? You can warn them but the rightful owner has the final call.

Also, I don't think they aged terribly. A game ages 'the same' unless it gets rehashed or modified.

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 31st December 2017 10:39

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214332
Posted: 31st December 2017 22:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 31st December 2017 11:23)
Warning: This post is a little critical.  Read with care.

C'mon boys and girls.  I 'Struggle' with games old and new all the time.  I'm sure there's a thread around here about ideal games?  I wonder who could have started it?

On the other hand I'll bite and answer here.  Are you saying that games age badly because the aesthetics can vary game to game author to author? 

I'm sorry age has also been a factor is doubting a game.  If the creators of the game had the ability to control time and space, they could predict what you wouldn't like about it. 

This post obviously condescending and a moderator can step in but this is what I'm talking about.

Why does the creator of any game have to obey you if you didn't help work on it?  You can warn them but the rightful owner has the final call.

Also, I don't think they aged terribly.  A game ages 'the same' unless it gets rehashed or modified.

Hooo boy. Okay, several things:

1. This thread is for talking about games that people feel have aged badly. If you turn up expecting the thread to be about anything other than people expressing gripes about games they feel have aged badly, then you're a fool.

2. Nobody is saying that the creators of the games called out in this thread should have catered to personal tastes or should have predicted the future. Some things age well. Some don't. That's the nature of time. Unless you personally were a dev on one of these games and we've hurt your feelings, there's no need to get so snarky.

3. This thread is a legitimate thread in its own right. It doesn't matter whether there is a separate thread elsewhere about ideal games. It really doesn't matter who started that thread.

4. Further to the above, the world doesn't revolve around you, you egotistical moron. These fora certainly don't revolve around you.

5. You're right, your post was condescending. What's more, nobody knows what you're talking about half the time, because you talk in esoteric half-metaphor and twaddle so much. Perhaps you think this makes you come off as a highly-sophisticated intellectual, but it really does not - a truly intelligent mind would be capable of communicating in a way his audience can understand, even if he has to dumb it down for them.

6. Nobody has to obey anybody in this context. Try to expand your train of thought and stop attempting to turn every thread into the same conversation. It's dull, tiresome, and unwelcome.

And finally, to respond to the one part of your post which appears to be vaguely on topic (yes, I'm aware of the irony), you are of course welcome to your opinion that none of these games have aged terribly. However, I think when you say a game "ages 'the same'" you're being too literal. We are talking about ageing not in the literal passage of time, but in the widely-accepted sense of how well a game has 'aged' when you reflect back upon it from your current perspective.

This post has been edited by Stiltzkin on 31st December 2017 22:38

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #214337
Posted: 16th January 2018 15:06

Cactuar

Awards:
Me: A game ages the same.

"And finally, to respond to the one part of your post which appears to be vaguely on topic"

Gotcha there. My response is right on topic. Right on the bullseye, the dodad nail, the middle like Malcom, the dead center sea, ect.,. cool.gif

Lets not forget some people don't know any better. They're a sucker for any game that comes out and we have more wealthy people than we should. tongue.gif

My posts come off as elitism, yes. But I think I can do my best to offer alternatives. I was neither forced nor paid to do this so what's better than free information? biggrin.gif

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214445
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: