CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Video Games that Aged Terribly

Posted: 14th February 2017 18:43

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Have you ever gone back a video game you remembered so fondly, started another play-through, and realized that things feel and play much differently than you remember, and in a bad way? This topic is for those games!

user posted image
(Pictured: Boromir)

1.) GoldenEye 007 - Let's get this one out of the way. It was revolutionary in its time and in part responsible for initiating throngs of people into the First Person Shooter genre, especially on consoles. Although Quake and Doom 2 players would laugh at 4 people sharing one TV screen for multiplayer at the time, it still ushered in the era of shenanigans with your friends on the couch for great times and endless laughs. But now? It feels so clunky. The multiplayer is bland, the graphics are kind of painful, and the levels are less interesting than I remembered by and large.

user posted image
(Which could it be?)

2.)Illusion of Gaia: Awwww, man. This really hurts to add to this list. I had very fond memories of this game, but tried to replay it recently and really wish I hadn't. The dialogue is mostly very shallow considering it tried to broach some very interesting topics. The gameplay and the level design are really tedious, and don't get me started with Mu. Substituting back and forth with your various forms sometimes meant a lot of backtracking in dungeons. Many of the main characters are just filler, and the dialogue is cringeworthy at times. I will say though that the music to this game is still very much excellent.

user posted image
(Well aren't you just the standard of human physique?)

3.) Morrowind - Saved only by an excellent modding community and the sheer freedom this game embraces, this game would have been downgraded into oblivion (heyyoo!) otherwise. The base graphics were suspect even then, and completely laughable when looking at them through today's eyes. The combat system was janky all the way through. In the beginning, you were so weak and horrible that it took dozens of swings just to land a single blow on the weakest of enemies, but this game rewarded you for understanding the system behind the scenes to an excessive degree. Once you understood them, most of the hardest enemies in the game fall easily, and you can become nearly untouchable less than halfway through. While the dialogue options are many, most people give the same responses, and the dialogue is always in perfect English in a way that doesn't match up to what the character's dialogue should be.

This is still my favorite game to just break and manipulate, but whenever I install this game, I have to then spend half a day installing the many mods, glitch fixes, and graphics updates just to make this acceptable to play once more.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 14th February 2017 18:57
Post #212193
Posted: 14th February 2017 22:27

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Without a doubt the one that stands out the most to me is Final Fantasy X.

I loved that game to death when I first got it and I remember playing it for 12 straight hours on Christmas that year when I was younger.

Went back a few years later and played at again, lost interest, chalked it up to being too soon to play through it again.

So I bought the FFX/X-2 HD bundle this past summer thinking it had to be a fluke that I lost interest way back over 10 years ago and I'd appreciate it now that I'm older.

Nope. The game is just not very fun or interesting. And that makes me really sad. It takes about halfway through the game before it really starts to pull you in and it's terribly predictable on all levels. Auron, Seymore, Jecht, Sin, Yevon, etc...

--------------------
Post #212195
Posted: 15th February 2017 01:29

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
In general I think a lot of games with early-3D polygon-based graphics haven't aged all that elegantly. Or, more accurately, since they don't really "age", but simply stay unchanged, it's more like today's games give people the expectation that stuff will look good out-of-the-box, while some older games were more likely to demand more effort from the player's imagination. Same goes with those text adventures that came on screens using black, fuschia, sky blue, and white to represent all their colors.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212197
Posted: 15th February 2017 15:25

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
A couple spring to mind but nothing as strongly as the PS1 Time Crisis games:

Brilliant games, especially the original. I know the graphics haven't aged well, but - more than anything I remember the voice acting. I used to think it was so cool, now I see how awful it is! CRINGE
Post #212202
Posted: 16th February 2017 13:18

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Is it blasphemy here to note that one of the major reasons I never came back to check out Final Fantasy VII is because the art style is a major turnoff for me? I don't consider myself a graphics snob, but the blocky sprites I've seen look terrible. I think I'd have to wait for the FF7 remaster at this point.
Post #212211
Posted: 16th February 2017 17:58

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 16th February 2017 08:18)
Is it blasphemy here to note that one of the major reasons I never came back to check out Final Fantasy VII is because the art style is a major turnoff for me? I don't consider myself a graphics snob, but the blocky sprites I've seen look terrible. I think I'd have to wait for the FF7 remaster at this point.

SACRILEGE

POST REPORTED

BAN IMMINENT

tbh, I'm kind of with you though. I've been trying to play through it again and I'm having difficulty. The game is hideous.

--------------------
Post #212213
Posted: 16th February 2017 19:11

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, I can understand the case for Goldeneye. It's been a long time since I thought about four-person split-screening in standard def -- barf incarnate nowadays. The level design and music were all pretty good for its time, though, so I still have a fondness for it (Proximity Mines + Archives = eternal fun). I wonder if it play as choppily in my memory as Perfect Dark?

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #212216
Posted: 16th February 2017 19:59

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Super Mario 64's camera is probably my least favorite part of the game.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212219
Posted: 16th February 2017 20:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 16th February 2017 14:59)
Super Mario 64's camera is probably my least favorite part of the game.

Chuckya would like a word with you on the most annoying thing about Mario 64

user posted image

--------------------
Post #212221
Posted: 16th February 2017 21:03

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:

Oh yeah, I hated that guy, and didn't even remember him until just now. The camera always bothered me a bit too, so many places where I couldn't quiiiite see what I was doing.

user posted image
(Toasty!)

Remember what an impact Mortal Kombat I & II had when they released? I distinctly remember Sega having a big leg up here because it actually left all the blood in when you were pummeling your opponents, while the SNES versions left them out (I had both systems, but only received them for the SNES...).

They felt great at the time, they were violent and edgy, and parents everywhere hated them, making them all the more fun to play. And those fatalities were amazing if you could ever pull them off, but of course you rarely did because you were about an inch to the left of where you had to be and ended up just sucker punching your opponent once. But now? The shock value is long gone, and all elements of these games have been refined upon ever since. It will always hold a place as a pioneer, but now they don't have much appeal to revisit. I'm not so sure this would be all that entertaining to just pick up and play at this point, since you would have to look up plenty of move combos and fatalities just to make it interesting, and they were certainly not provided ingame. Heck, Street Fighter 2 may have even eclipsed it back then.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 16th February 2017 21:21
Post #212222
Posted: 16th February 2017 22:10

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 16th February 2017 16:03)

Oh yeah, I hated that guy, and didn't even remember him until just now. The camera always bothered me a bit too, so many places where I couldn't quiiiite see what I was doing.

user posted image
(Toasty!)

Remember what an impact Mortal Kombat I & II had when they released? I distinctly remember Sega having a big leg up here because it actually left all the blood in when you were pummeling your opponents, while the SNES versions left them out (I had both systems, but only received them for the SNES...).

They felt great at the time, they were violent and edgy, and parents everywhere hated them, making them all the more fun to play. And those fatalities were amazing if you could ever pull them off, but of course you rarely did because you were about an inch to the left of where you had to be and ended up just sucker punching your opponent once. But now? The shock value is long gone, and all elements of these games have been refined upon ever since. It will always hold a place as a pioneer, but now they don't have much appeal to revisit. I'm not so sure this would be all that entertaining to just pick up and play at this point, since you would have to look up plenty of move combos and fatalities just to make it interesting, and they were certainly not provided ingame. Heck, Street Fighter 2 may have even eclipsed it back then.

Street Fighter II still eclipses most fighting games today, IMO

But yeah the MK games have aged terribly. They actually straight suck for the most part.

--------------------
Post #212223
Posted: 18th February 2017 07:43

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 16th February 2017 17:58)
tbh, I'm kind of with you though. I've been trying to play through it again and I'm having difficulty. The game is hideous.

FF8 is only marginally better tho? eh.gif

Personally I love the pre-renders of the psx trilogy.

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 18th February 2017 08:06

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #212227
Posted: 18th February 2017 18:42

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
personally, the only main title final fantasy games I don't like playing are the NES titles. I've always enjoyed story and character development in my final fantasy games and man do the first games lack. II's story is alright but the game still has little in the way of character development for the main cast.
Anyone even remember early PSX games by name? Here are a few I remember:
D, Warhawk The Red Mercury Missions, Shockwave, Pitfall 3D, Little Rascal, and Croc: the Legend of the Gobbo's are all early PSX games. Compared to them VII was a virtual Mona Lisa. I can see why it'd bother people now but man. That game could have looked so much worse.

FF8 is only marginally better tho?

Lol, anyone ever notice the guys have box torsos? The graphics on VII never made me laugh as much as this does on VIII for whatever reason. Still love them both though.

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 18th February 2017 18:43

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212231
Posted: 18th February 2017 23:11

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 18th February 2017 02:43)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 16th February 2017 17:58)

FF8 is only marginally better tho? eh.gif

Personally I love the pre-renders of the psx trilogy.

Uh. Well. FF8 I think has aged a lot better than FF7. Both the graphics and the actual game.

But I think its more that FF8 was the first game that didn't have the "Super-deformed" look of the old ones. I like the character models a lot. The men are lanky, long-legged and yeah like the post above me, they have boxy torsos. But they didn't look out of place in the pre-rendered backdrops like FF7's character models did.

In FF7 you have these beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds with this tiny little blob of a character awkwardly walking in diagonal lines everywhere.

FF8, they looked a part of the environment. Plus, the CGI had aged very well, whereas FF7's.... not so much lol.

Especially if you play the PC version of FF8 the character models look very good for the era.

user posted image

--------------------
Post #212234
Posted: 19th February 2017 09:29

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
>Thread about games ageing poorly
>Says something about ff8 looking good for the era. pinch.gif

DT I don't want to spend my entire life arguing with you but I have to laugh at this thread because I reckon I disagree with *every* point and example you've made in it! tongue.gif

Also your problems with X's predictability/story aren't about the game ageing or not, you just dislike it.
Or your intense love for FF8 makes you criticise every other entry more harshly.

For my part I know some people can't go back to games or are put off by dated graphics.
I just don't understand it.. I'm not a graphics whore. I don't need to pretend games are real. You show me the most awesome newgen system and I can still be aware that i'm looking at polygon puppets, just prettier ones.

I wanna try Morrowind some day, I've heard many people say it's the best considering how relatively braindead oblivion and skyrim are.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #212236
Posted: 19th February 2017 11:55

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I too have heard good things about Morrowind - but I think I have to accept I'm never gonna get round to it!

I do agree with DT though that VIII has aged better than VII, graphically. That still posted above looks much nicer, mainly because the character models in VII are just so...experimental? I guess it goes to show what a few extra years with the hardware allows devs to achieve.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #212238
Posted: 19th February 2017 14:32

Awards:
but its not even from a ps1 though.
Could be from the recent steam version of 8 ;]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #212239
Posted: 19th February 2017 19:40

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I love almost everything about the early C&C games. Command & Conquer, C&C Red Alert. Great soundtrack, fun units, cheesy fun cutscenes, etc etc. But the time it takes to build a base and build any decent sized fighting force. It takes so long!

Maybe there are some mods on the pc that reduce that problem, I've mostly stuck with consoles up until now.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212240
Posted: 19th February 2017 20:58

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (fatman @ 19th February 2017 15:40)
I love almost everything about the early C&C games. Command & Conquer, C&C Red Alert. Great soundtrack, fun units, cheesy fun cutscenes, etc etc. But the time it takes to build a base and build any decent sized fighting force. It takes so long! 

Maybe there are some mods on the pc that reduce that problem, I've mostly stuck with consoles up until now.

Yeah, agreed. In fact, I'd take it a step further to say that most early entries in the RTS genre are borderline difficult to play now. I'm tossing WarCraft 1 into this lot as well. It helps pave the way for the much more stellar games to come, especially Age of Empires & StarCrafts I & II and WarCraft 3.

But look at this thing!

user posted image
(What's that? The max # of units selected is 4?)

I had tons of fun with this game as a kid, but I can't play it on any current systems now, and likely wouldn't want to, either. You had to pave roads and build all of your buildings along them, most units had the same speech, and it was terribly imbalanced. Even Blizzard has come out and said they have no plans to make this game play nice with newer system because as they state, the game just isn't as fun to play now with all of the other alternatives out there. I would tend to agree, I might enjoy a couple hours to laugh and complete a mission or two, but I'm betting the tedium of it all would return it to the shelf.
Post #212241
Posted: 19th February 2017 22:39

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 19th February 2017 04:29)
>Thread about games ageing poorly
>Says something about ff8 looking good for the era.  pinch.gif

DT I don't want to spend my entire life arguing with you but I have to laugh at this thread because I reckon I disagree with *every* point and example you've made in it!  tongue.gif

Also your problems with X's predictability/story aren't about the game ageing or not, you just dislike it.
Or your intense love for FF8 makes you criticise every other entry more harshly.

Uh. Man. You are something else.

I was responding to your post about FF8 having not aged well, much like a few have suggested FF7 didn't. I was saying it HAS aged well in response to you saying it hasn't.

We can freely argue our points when disagreeing.

And for what it's worth, I LOVED FFX when it first came out.

What's meant by a game not aging well is pretty much entirely subjective.

15 years after FFX's release, the story comes across as bland, the voice acting monotonous, and it's predictability is blatant. Tell me you didn't put two and two together when Auron didn't want to go to the farplane or whatever in Guadosalam? And there were those little spires floating around him and he was swatting them?

Tell me you didn't see the entire resolution of Braska, Jecht and Auron exactly as it happened?

Tell me you didn't predict the Final Summoning's end result and Sin's reincarnation?

The battle system, as well as the Sphere Grid, although very refreshing at the time, is not as fun or ground-breaking in hindsight. It's kind of a mess, especially in the HD remake.

And for what it's worth, I think the best Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy VI. So my "intense love" for Final Fantasy VIII doesn't influence how I judge the other games.

It's a bizarre concept, I know, that I can think Final Fantasy VIII is a better game than Final Fantasy VI yet still say that Final Fantasy VI is the better Final Fantasy game. As far as "fantasy" is concerned, both Final Fantasy VII, VIII and even X are all bordering on Sci-Fi more than actual fantasy. They got away from what the first 6 games in the series were, which is why Final Fantasy IX is what it is. And it is also a better Final Fantasy game than VIII and VII.

And the screen I posted is from a PC version of the game, AS I HAD STATED RIGHT ABOVE THE IMAGE. Holy Christ.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 19th February 2017 22:42

--------------------
Post #212243
Posted: 20th February 2017 13:41

Awards:
It's more of a lighthearted point, that "for the era" is usually said to defend bad graphics, if a game "ages well" it looks good now, not just the era. But really, I was messing around, it's not a point i want to argue

Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 19th February 2017 22:39)

15 years after FFX's release, the story comes across as bland, the voice acting monotonous, and it's predictability is blatant. Tell me you didn't put two and two together when Auron didn't want to go to the farplane or whatever in Guadosalam? And there were those little spires floating around him and he was swatting them?

Well, stories don't age really do they? If it was bad, it was always bad, you just didn't see it.

Yeah that's a pretty obvious hint about Auron, Did i suspect he's unsent, yes. Do I think it makes the writing bad? no.
It's just a little example of dramatic irony with the player knowing more than the other characters.

Tell me you didn't predict the Final Summoning's end result and Sin's reincarnation?

Haven't played the end since around 2010 so I can't remember what this is.
Tidus & Jecht's resolution wasn't predictable though was it? I was expecting some sort of reconciliation instead of them battling.
It's easy to know everything that happens in the game and years later say "hah! it's all so predictable" ;]

Unfortunately I can't remember the jecht=sin reveal, back in 2010 i had it spoiled for me by someone (who wouldn't apologise). Been playing it recently with the missus though, very slowly) and just finished Kilika so i'll be interested to see how that's done.

I guess the story is predictable compared to FF8. Cause the latter's story is so insane & all over the place with a new big bad introduced every disc; you'd never predict what's gonna happen. tongue.gif

The battle system, as well as the Sphere Grid, although very refreshing at the time, is not as fun or ground-breaking in hindsight. It's kind of a mess, especially in the HD remake.

Again, this is you not liking the game. Nothing to do with age or hindsight.
I liked the battle system back then, and I like it now.

And the screen I posted is from a PC version of the game, AS I HAD STATED RIGHT ABOVE THE IMAGE. Holy Christ.

Calm your tits dude, The steam version probably looks a tad different from the pc release circa 2000.
Also I was responding to Stiltzkin mentioning the hardware. I'm sure he wasn't referring to PCs.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #212244
Posted: 20th February 2017 18:54

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
user posted image
RALPH THE WONDER LLAMA

Sorry, just trying to take your attention away from DT and BO (not great screen handles when you abbreviate them, guys), and say my say:

user posted image
Stairs the stairs, Kirk. Stairs the stairs.

Dragon Warrior 1 was the ultimate beginning of Jrpgs and always will be forever. I am aware that to say anything bad about it is to question the very foundation upon which the internet and all culture from 1985 on is based, and how can we come to any logical point from there?

All the same. The fact that the game has the distinction of being the only Dragon Warrior (Quest, yeah) game to include a "Stairs" command, a party of one entirely throughout the game, and a series of fetch quests that drive not only the gameplay but also the over-arching story totally (Ball of Light? That's...um, that's a fetch quest) really does fit the criteria of having aged horribly. Dragon Quest has not changed much over the years. The fact that this game is so different from what ended up coming after it (most DQ games are more or less DQ2 with a lot of fancy bells and whistles, to be honest) really does tell me that this one was not finished as intended, of all the other DQ games.

It does not make it a bad or non-entertaining game to play, however, it does not hold up against even the later entries of its own series in terms of its general feel.

I do love me some DQ. I have lived alone in a space-heated range style tiny house in the winter and it was my only entertainment for a long time. But give me DQ4 any day of the week, for sure, you know?

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 21st February 2017 05:47

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212247
Posted: 20th February 2017 19:01

Awards:
yo BO reporting in! biggrin.gif

I played the Snes remake of DQ1 and enjoyed it. It was a nice chilled out simple time. Was that a bit of a copout on my part though?
will try 2 at some point but long is my jrpg list. Just XII and the rest of IX to go and i've finished all the Final Fant-

oh damn, XV came out didn't it. pinch.gif

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #212248
Posted: 20th February 2017 19:40

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 20th February 2017 08:41)

Well, stories don't age really do they? If it was bad, it was always bad, you just didn't see it.

Again, this is you not liking the game. Nothing to do with age or hindsight.
I liked the battle system back then, and I like it now.

Pray tell, kind sir, where I said I don't like the game?

When we age, so do the things we liked in our youth. I said I was disappointed and sad that the game is kind of boring (for the first 30 or so hours; Especially the cloister of trials being tedious).

Stop. I don't think FFX has aged well for a plethora of reasons. I have provided them. Your entire rhetoric is "Well, you don't like the game."

Which I have never once said. It holds a very nostalgic memory in my mind. I was 18-ish when it came out and it was an incredible leap forward for the FF series. The characters were all adults, the themes of religion and technology are still some of it's strongest points and it's a radical departure from the traditional template of the series.

Unfortunately, that fond and nostalgic memory of the game has been supplanted by realizing that the game is one of the more mediocre entries in the series.

Going back and playing FFVIII regularly only re-affirms my stance on the game.

If I could get past the first disc of FFVII again, I KNOW there's a lot of things I would enjoy about the game.

FFIX has aged very well and very gracefully.

FFVI is the benchmark for the series. It is the definitive Final Fantasy game. I can't find a flaw in it still to this day.

FFIV is basically a precursor to FFVI, and while it has it faults, it's brilliant, still.

FFX falls somewhere along the lines of FFV. It has it's charms but has not aged well. An entirely subjective opinion.

Can't wait to hear from you about how much I hate FFV though.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 20th February 2017 19:52

--------------------
Post #212252
Posted: 20th February 2017 20:55

Awards:
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 20th February 2017 19:40)
the game is one of the more mediocre entries in the series.

This is your subjective view of the game. This is what i'm talking about.

Okay, you like the game, whatever. It doesn't change my point at all
You were less critical back when it came out, apparently.
None of your criticisms are tied to its age. Unless the game was made obsolete by something newer.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #212254
Posted: 21st February 2017 00:31

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 20th February 2017 15:55)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 20th February 2017 19:40)
the game is one of the more mediocre entries in the series.

This is your subjective view of the game. This is what i'm talking about.

Okay, you like the game, whatever. It doesn't change my point at all
You were less critical back when it came out, apparently.
None of your criticisms are tied to its age. Unless the game was made obsolete by something newer.

Well, general opinion of FFX both then and now is that it's one of the more mediocre entries in the series.

But my criticisms are tied to it's age just as much as they're tied to mine.

We have an initial post that states, very clearly:

Have you ever gone back a video game you remembered so fondly, started another play-through, and realized that things feel and play much differently than you remember, and in a bad way? This topic is for those games!

Now you're on here, for some reason, nitpicking me for doing exactly this about Final Fantasy X. You're not making any sense. At all. And choosing to target me, for some reason.

The OP then goes on about Goldeneye, and says:

Let's get this one out of the way. It was revolutionary in its time and in part responsible for initiating throngs of people into the First Person Shooter genre, especially on consoles. Although Quake and Doom 2 players would laugh at 4 people sharing one TV screen for multiplayer at the time, it still ushered in the era of shenanigans with your friends on the couch for great times and endless laughs. But now? It feels so clunky. The multiplayer is bland, the graphics are kind of painful, and the levels are less interesting than I remembered by and large.

Which is no different at all to what I've said about FFX. The OP's SUBJECTIVE view of the game in hindsight, is that it hasn't aged well, and they have provided a brief explanation as to why.

In response to you, I've gone into way more detail than was necessary in critiquing FFX, yet you act as if I'm doing something different than everyone else has. Which I have not.

I'm not sure what you're on about, but I'm not sure you even know what you're on about.

Serious question, is English a second language to you?

--------------------
Post #212256
Posted: 21st February 2017 04:18

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Both of you display a definite quality of being contrarian to each other...does it amuse you? I mean, I'm trying to speak to both of you because you argue incessantly.

You're like...Squall and Seifer, or something. Which is which? Who cares.

...Ugh...people criticize each other too much for my taste, I guess...criticism and polemics get old to read after a while...

But you know, Rome wasn't built in a day. You guys might play nicer, Ranger is Ranging around here somewheres. He ain't never let me get away with nuthin' either, y'know.

user posted image

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212257
Posted: 21st February 2017 04:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Personally, I feel the final fantasy that aged badly was the first one. They've updated the graphics a lot but never bothered to add more depth to any of the characters or the world. It makes the game feel very dry and hard to play through. I can't imagine these games gain any attention from younger fans. Even with the updated releases. In any case. I play games for their story/characters and the first one lacks a lot in both of these fields.

Hey DT, "We're all a Sad bunch of SaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaD". tongue.gif

Just thought I'd throw that reference out there for a fellow VIII fan.

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 21st February 2017 04:38

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212259
Posted: 21st February 2017 04:50

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 20th February 2017 23:35)
"We're all a Sad bunch of SaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaD". tongue.gif

I like 8...I don't get it?

And what's with the arabic/roman numeral thing? Is there any protocol? Which should I be doing? Guuuuh

As for FF8 references there is always

Rinoa
"Stop trying to act cool!!"
(shoves Irvine down a flight of stairs)

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212260
Posted: 21st February 2017 07:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 20th February 2017 23:35)
Personally, I feel the final fantasy that aged badly was the first one. They've updated the graphics a lot but never bothered to add more depth to any of the characters or the world. It makes the game feel very dry and hard to play through. I can't imagine these games gain any attention from younger fans. Even with the updated releases. In any case. I play games for their story/characters and the first one lacks a lot in both of these fields.

Hey DT, "We're all a Sad bunch of SaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaD". tongue.gif

Just thought I'd throw that reference out there for a fellow VIII fan.

It took me a second to remember where the quote happened, but I definitely recognized it instantly.

@ Spooniest: A fellow Garden Student says it at some point, IIRC.

Quote (Spooniest @ 20th February 2017 23:18)
Both of you display a definite quality of being contrarian to each other...does it amuse you? I mean, I'm trying to speak to both of you because you argue incessantly.

You're like...Squall and Seifer, or something. Which is which? Who cares.

...Ugh...people criticize each other too much for my taste, I guess...criticism and polemics get old to read after a while...

But you know, Rome wasn't built in a day. You guys might play nicer, Ranger is Ranging around here somewheres. He ain't never let me get away with nuthin' either, y'know.

Well, it's pretty plain to see what's going on here. I'm absolutely baffled, personally. But I'm also not going to roll over and let someone single me out incessantly. If there is any logic behind Blinge's "arguing" with me, then it's escaped me; If there is a logic to it, then Blinge should be picking apart every single post in the thread.

Reading comprehension is fun.

--------------------
Post #212264
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: