CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Did Edgar never leave his castle?

Posted: 17th March 2015 00:45

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
As I travel around South Figaro, I get the impression that Edgar has never visited the cities or towns in his kingdom. It doesn't seem like anyone recognizes him, and when they do they think he looks like someone else (Sabin). Did Edgar never travel or leave his castle until Terra came, despite his deep caring for people?

This post has been edited by alasta on 17th March 2015 00:46
Post #208343
Posted: 17th March 2015 02:53

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
That's always the impression that I got from the situation, and I think that was the key to the Edgar/Sabin storyline. They both wanted to leave, but Edgar had to stay to maintain the obligation to his father. I think by the end, Edgar desired the freedom that Sabin had, and Sabin grew up to feel more protective by the end. We see that Edgar is popular among people within the castle, but it is true that the people don't even recognize him. Then again, there is a desert and a cave in between Figaro Castle and S. Figaro, which might make regular travel difficult.

It seems strange to think that he wouldn't travel at all, or that they wouldn't have portraits of their ruler.

--------------------
Post #208345
Posted: 17th March 2015 04:59

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Thanks, that's a good point. I guess it's important to remember that in lore the world is probably on a much larger scale than what we see in game. Maybe Figaro castle was actually larger and more populated. South Figaro is suppose to be a major city after all, but in the game it appears the size of a small town.
Post #208353
Posted: 19th March 2015 19:08

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
^ Basically, yeah, that. The presentation of things in a game like this is always more like a stage representation than the actual thing.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 19th March 2015 19:13

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #208376
Posted: 20th March 2015 02:47

Behemoth

Awards:
I agree with both of you about representation. But I also think it's important that they decided to not have him recognized. I think they were trying to show just what alasta was thinking, that he is not known to his people.

--------------------
Post #208385
Posted: 23rd March 2015 16:30

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I think most people would just think he looked like someone they'd seen more recently! The King doesn't just stroll into town any old day, and doesn't tend to advertise his visits, to remain anonymous is to remain safe. Edgar probably just told people "No, I just look like the King. Sorry."

He does, in fact, end up doing that same thing later on in the very same town, so is this so far fetched?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208411
Posted: 23rd March 2015 22:06

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 23rd March 2015 12:30)
I think most people would just think he looked like someone they'd seen more recently! The King doesn't just stroll into town any old day, and doesn't tend to advertise his visits, to remain anonymous is to remain safe. Edgar probably just told people "No, I just look like the King. Sorry."

He does, in fact, end up doing that same thing later on in the very same town, so is this so far fetched?

It might be that, if he did leave town then he'd disguise himself. But, the problem with that is that he was looking for Sabin. The people may or may not have known the king's face, but we know for a fact that Duncan's students are well-known in South Figaro. In fact, I believe that one of the townspeople mistakes Edgar for Sabin, right?

--------------------
Post #208416
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: