PSX version [ 7 ]  [23.33%]
Cell Phone version [ 1 ]  [3.33%]
GBA version [ 13 ]  [43.33%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 3rd December 2004 17:13

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Let's see, my favortie version is the GBA version because it has a lot of extra quests in it. The NES version has no save files. PSX version (Origons) is too hard. Cell (Mobile) version is too small. The GBA version (Dawn of Souls) is the best because it is just right. Good Difficulty, Graphics, and size means it is perfect.

Edit: Sorry disregard that commet about the NES version. I meant to say it is had no save files.

This post has been edited by GamblingCat on 3rd December 2004 20:50
Post #66608
Posted: 3rd December 2004 18:14

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
The NES version is too outdated.

Show some respect, please! laugh.gif This is the granddaddy of them all!

PSX version (Origons) is too hard.

I hope you're kidding....

I voted PSX version, myself. I dig the upgrade on graphics and changing various weapon and enemy names, but still leaving the storyline intact. Oh, the cutscenes are cool, too.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #66613
Posted: 3rd December 2004 21:43

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I've played every version so far (minus the moble-phone) and have to say the GBA one is the best. You get the classic no-stress gameplay of the original, the upgraded graphics of the PSX & WonderSwan version (p.s. you forgot to list the WS version in your poll), and the added content that only a remake can give.

Besides that, its protable and come on, it came with FF2, the REAL FF2 not FF4 (though that would have been sweet). That's two, count them, two games for the price of one.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play my non-ROM, non-Stolen, Bathroom Compatable version of FF2.

This post has been edited by Eric on 3rd December 2004 21:43

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions Avatar

The Brave Knight
Name: Eirikir Lashius (Ramza)
Role: Knight
AA1: Arts of War
AA2: Guts
R: Counter
S: Concentration
M: Move +3
W: Durandal
O: Reverie Shield
H: Grand Helm
B: Grand Armor
A: Brigand's Gloves
Post #66629
Posted: 3rd December 2004 22:36

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I respect the NES version, but I had to go with the GBA. The NES is the hardest one, you have to click seperate enemies and no save points. But, it was the basis for all future FFs so I live with it. The GBA has all the original and better graphics, so it gets my vote, but FF1 will always be the original, and therefore the one that should be revered.

--------------------
Could you repeat that?
Post #66635
Posted: 6th December 2004 02:28

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Eric @ 3rd December 2004 16:43)
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play my non-ROM, non-Stolen, Bathroom Compatable version of FF2

Hahaha I couldn't have said it better myself! The GBA version is the only version I actually completed all the way through. I played it back on the NES when it was new, but I wasn't as into RPGs then as I am now. I thought it was way to hard for me back then. The GBA version is totally awesome...not to mention what I quoted Eric saying here. Portable FF Goodness can't be beat!
Post #66788
Posted: 29th December 2004 00:45
Returner

Awards:
sad.gif I have to vote NES. They took out so many good things....

*magic system is homogenized now, I liked it the way it was.

*difficulty is way too low

*50 levels was just fine - 99 is over-powering

*the experience to get a level was DRASTICALLY lowered, making the game much too simple. This generation of gamers will never know the rite of passage or leveling up before the marsh cave... what about giant's plain!!!!

*I liked having to avoid ineffectives. It gives the battles more value than "hold down the A button"

*there is nothing wrong with 8-bit graphics! I love em personally. Wish I was older so I could have enjoyed them when they first came out.

* being able to save ANYWHERE is ridiculous! I refuse to save inside dungeons, it is too much like savestates.

*the NAMES!!!! They renamed EVERYTHING! Even Warmech, for crying out loud!

*the portability is very good though, and is why I bought DoS (I have not played Origins). I hope they release a classic version, perhaps in a compiliation on the PSP (FF1-6 on one disc!).

This post has been edited by FF1_Thief on 29th December 2004 00:48
Post #68415
Posted: 29th December 2004 06:50

Returner

If its not the original then its not worth playing.

The NES version was, to my knowledge, the only FF series game that had orbs and not crystals. Gotta love the non-uniformity (until origins came out). The 8bit pixeled graphics were the best. Sure the PSX "Origins" has better music, but nothing beats the beeps of an original. I played "Origins" for about 1hr gameplay, havent played it since. To many things have changed from the original. Also, the limit of four letter names made you use that thing you call an imagination to create names.
Post #68445
Posted: 29th December 2004 06:52

Returner

Unfortunately though, I regret to say that I have yet to complete the NES version myself due to the theft of my game. Just recently bought it again, and hoping to find a NES to play it on.
Post #68446
Posted: 29th December 2004 08:51

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Although I love how the monster graphics for the GBA and PSX versions represent the NES version, you don't get the same challenge out of those two. Guess they had to make it easier for the youth of today. They need to make some more challenging RPGs nowadays.

--------------------
This is my world: (Got my second chapter up, 3rd Chapter about 80% complete)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/daniel876/homepage.html
Post #68455
Posted: 29th December 2004 15:32

Cactuar

Awards:
I null voted. I like them all.
1. I have respect for the one that started it all.
2. PS1 had the better graphics.
3. GBA Had it all and more.
I've never heard of the cell phone version....?

--------------------
Dang. And here I was hoping the next big thing in hip hop would be, y'know, silence. ~Djibriel

Twilight Paladin.com We are now twilightpaladin.co.nr! It's not .com, but, oh well.

The Twilight Forums!
Post #68463
Posted: 3rd January 2005 19:19

Black Mage

Awards:
I prefer the GBA-version cause i only have the game on the GBA and for so far as I know and have heard it isn't the hardest I would even say its to easy shifty.gif

--------------------
They may be monsters, but they're sea monsters. What're they gonna do? Flop around on deck and suffocate at us threateningly?
Post #68760
Posted: 4th January 2005 05:03

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I voted for the original because

a)The psx version was to easy

b)Though portible the gba version was to easy as well

c)The gba ruined the magic system

d)I didn't know there was a cell phone version
Post #68793
Posted: 5th January 2005 02:20

Returner

Awards:
I didn't know there was a cell phone version either. Personally I like the GBA version because I like the mobility. I can play the game anywhere, which is nice and handy. Of course you can't diss the old school 8-bit graphics, and the harder gameplay.

--------------------
I plan to live forever, or die trying!

Light travels faster than sound. That’s why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Live every day as if it were your last. Eventually you’ll be right.

What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
Post #68872
Posted: 5th January 2005 04:40

Returner

Awards:
Okay, I've been playing the GBA version for something like six consecutive hours now. Sure, you get in a fight every three steps or so. And the odds of anyone in your group getting killed are about as likely as an Ali G presidency. You could fall asleep with your finger on the button and be just fine. Still...

I just never get tired of those little bouncing numbers. Whacko - take that, you dirty...ghast, you. Again, and again, and again. Given a scale of carnage like this the whole map should look like the burning of Atlanta, but it's always so nice and green and pretty...for another two steps...

There is an aura of genius about this game. I'm just astonished.

--------------------
ONCE I LIVED IN UPPERCASE
MY LIFE INTENSELY PHALLIC
now i live in lowercase
with the occasional italic
Post #68879
Posted: 6th January 2005 12:46

Returner

i dunno... overall, the GBA version is better: it has better graphics, better audio, is portable, has the 4 new dungeons (also in the PSX version), and most of all, comes packed with THE REAL FF2, not the FF2-ish FF4. However, the NES version: is tougher, has a very "genuine feel" about it (original graphics, audio, battle system, etc.), and is just... more real. I have no comment about the PSX, mobile phone, and WonderSwan versions, as i have not played any of them yet. My suggestion: GET BOTH! Come on, people! You can never have too much Final Fantasy! These are some of the best games ever made, and you DESERVE both of them!

--------------------
you might think that you killed chaos in FF1... but you didn't...
... cuz i did...

<THiS SeNTaNCe iS THe SoLe ReaSoN To NoT STaRe aT FaT PeoPLe>

<("<) (^"^) (>")> <("<) (^"^) (>")>
does your sig have dancing kirbys?
Post #69011
Posted: 7th January 2005 06:18

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
i like the Cell Phone one, because its fun to play when ure bored and plus its real short.

--------------------
go To My New MegaMan Online RPG for some Fun

"It Begins Now X. A New World Will Be Born. Hahahahahah"-Vile
Post #69092
Posted: 24th January 2005 00:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I liked the fact that they added a whole buncha things to it, but I've never played the others, I have FF on my cell, but have never played it...

--------------------
Yunalesca: "Hope is...comforting. It allows us to accept fate, however tragic it might be. "

Yunalesca: "Poor creature. You would throw away hope. Well... I will free you before you can drown in your sorrow. It is better for you to die in hope than to live in despair. Let me be your liberator. "
Post #70657
Posted: 24th January 2005 13:39

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
the best version is the nes version, because it challenging enough I remember that I clear that game in almost a year!, the psx version includes a group bag,that carries all the items possible, (no more discard items) and it very easy compared with the originals, the good things in psx version is the specificacion of every items,swords with special abilities (like ribbon, inmune to statuses) things in the original version dont have. but the best is the nes version

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #70717
Posted: 25th January 2005 14:15

Black Mage

Awards:
I was completely unaware that a cell phone one even existed. unsure.gif

I voted for the PSX since I've only played the NES and the PSX. The NES had a lot of nostalgia for me, but the PSX brought that out and made it look better (with SNES-like graphics), all the while keeping the same basic system. And I enjoyed the bosses getting their own musical theme. Honestly, while I liked the original battle theme, it was kinda' droll after fighting a lot, and didn't inspire as much fear when you were facing, say, Lich.
Post #70818
Posted: 25th January 2005 14:32

Lunarian

Awards:
The only version I've ever played thus far is FFOrigins.

--------------------
"Thought I was dead, eh? Not until I fulfill my dream!"
Seifer Almasy

"The most important part of the story is the ending."
Secret Window

"Peace is but a shadow of death."
Kuja
Post #70820
Posted: 25th January 2005 14:44

Onion Knight

Awards:
really!? i didnt know that the secret duengeons were in the psx version i kinda just rushed through the game (which i dont usually do) and my friend has gba version i thought it was pretty good but he kept on fighting gilgamesh which is a little odd but wow thats great the duengeons are in psx also

i thikn ill quit ff8 (ive already beaten it) and start 1 (psx version)
Post #70822
Posted: 25th January 2005 14:47

Onion Knight

Awards:
and yea i didnt even know that the mobile fone version existed i think ill download it does anyone know what it costs(sorry if this is off topic and sorry i didnt post in the other i forgot)

Moderator Edit
Use the edit button. user posted image -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 25th January 2005 15:00
Post #70823
Posted: 26th January 2005 16:39

Engineer

Awards:
I am a big fan of the cut scenes in the GBA version, you don't get that much in games ever.... a cool picture with a cool story scrolling by, very underrated.

--------------------
"Look at me! I'm a receptionist! G'fa ha ha!" Quote Ultros
Post #70891
Posted: 26th January 2005 18:01

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
NES Version. As hard as it was, and add that to the irriation of buying one item at a time, All my vote are belong to Nostalgia. I like the 8 bit style characters better anyway. Somebody must have decided that in order to make a new version they had to make the characters look really stupid and square.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #70902
Posted: 26th January 2005 18:42

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I voted for the GBA version, and I've played all three (including the NES version, but I think around ten years ago instead of fifteen years ago). All the NES version has in its favor is nostalgia and the one-spell magic system, which can be considered good for srategy's sake.

I can't stress this enough when I say it, but LEVELING UP IS NOT A GOOD THING!!! All it does is drag on the game, making gamers who are nothing but doggedly determined feel skilled. As a general rule with few exceptions, I hate games that require excess leveling up.

--------------------
Post #70905
Posted: 29th January 2005 01:58

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
classic classic classic, go NES!!! woo, I rather dislike the GBA version, as it gives you MP, making the game WAY too easy for my taste. Origins isn't bad, but you just can't beat the classics happy.gif

This post has been edited by Generic Fighter #382 on 29th January 2005 01:59

--------------------
Club Sandwiches. Not Seals.
Post #71153
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: